New Topic Respond to this Topic
amiller353
amiller353
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Mar. 8th, 2011 @ 02:40 PM Reply

There's some good stuff in here I'll post up soon.

DeftAndEvil
DeftAndEvil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Mar. 8th, 2011 @ 04:14 PM Reply

At 3/7/11 08:29 PM, RIGg0rMORtis wrote:

I've only been here (writing forum) since October, and from what I've gathered, the main problem with the writing forum is the lack of readers. There seems to be more writers than readers, if you will. Look at the last 3 pages and count the threads with more than 1 post that's not from the OP. There's very few, aside from discussion pages and collaborative efforts.

As for critique, we differ. I'd rather receive criticism so I know what to avoid, and struggle to make myself, and my writing, better. The guy that receives flak for being "discouraging"--I suppose--is Deathcon. And even then I appreciate his time and effort more than someone saying, as Brian put it, "eh, good story, bro."

As for freesnar, I told him not to post in text-walls. His hook was also super weak/nonexistent. Both are valid complaints and I presented them pretty soft. God bless the guy for fixing it, but his story was still--not good. I didn't have the heart to tell him, which is why I didn't post a critique, because I would just tear his post apart. People post their stories and expect attention or praise. I can't really give that to them if they don't earn it. When a good story pops up, you'll see how excited I get in the forums. On a personal note, I've also stopped giving reviews/critiques because--call me selfish--people are ungrateful and half of them don't even say "thank you" >.>; although, with the drought of readers, this seems to be turning around. Hooray.

Despite the name, I'm actually good--Deft, and good!

Giving out reviews to anyone who wants them (exception: poems. I'll find you).

BBS Signature
JohnEndel959
JohnEndel959
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Mar. 8th, 2011 @ 05:31 PM Reply

At 3/8/11 04:14 PM, DeftAndEvil wrote: As for freesnar, I told him not to post in text-walls.

I am certainly not freesnar, but I was also a writer that had real trouble with text walls and lack of paragraphs. When I posted a fairly long story here, this was pointed out. Since then, I've really worked on how I space my paragraphs, and I think it's become a lot better. Not just in that individual story, but across all my writing. I don't remember the person who said it to me, it wasn't you, but I'd like to thank him.

I also remember Deathcon pointing out my bad spelling and grammar as well as calling my story shallow. At first, I wrote him off as just a mean person. But then I stopped being such a wimp and started editing the story. I've been editing it for a while now, and I beleive I've fixed at least most of the Spelling and Grammar. Some errors I've left in because the story is in a style of a journal, and the main character isn't overly educated. Although it's very unspecific to call a story shallow, I've also changed my wording and other things to fix some character development issues that I thought I saw. Mainly the trouble was that the villain was convinced too easily to become good, and my character was coming off as too sinister.

Lurking around occasionally, I notice that a problem with some people's motivation to critique is lack of the writers' attempt to change what they've been doing wrong. I just wanted to share that after my story went through several editings (mostly due to the criticism I received here), it has now been submitted to my school's literary magazine. I've been told by the administrators over the magazine that they liked my story and it has a big chance at making it in. And it is officially on the docket pending acceptance into the magazine. The story's name is Heroic.

Thanks for the help. I'm better writer because of it. I'll post again later if it gets into the magazine.

Sig by Byteslinger.
Writing by John Endel.
Zombie Story! <= read it! Nuclear Apocalypse Story! <= read this too!

BBS Signature
amiller353
amiller353
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Mar. 8th, 2011 @ 06:11 PM Reply

It takes some getting used to differentiating between criticism that seems overly negative but it is actually constructive and criticism that offers no support. I've asked for feedback before and I could tell they didn't want to point out the negatives and instead gave me shallow feedback masked as complements. I'd rather get negative feedback that is honest than positive remarks that aren't accurate. Everyone needs some kind of second opinion to hone their skills.

BrianEtrius
BrianEtrius
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Mar. 8th, 2011 @ 11:10 PM Reply

At 3/8/11 04:14 PM, DeftAndEvil wrote: As for critique, we differ. I'd rather receive criticism so I know what to avoid, and struggle to make myself, and my writing, better. The guy that receives flak for being "discouraging"--I suppose--is Deathcon. And even then I appreciate his time and effort more than someone saying, as Brian put it, "eh, good story, bro."

Exactly. Imagine if the entire forum was filled with half-assed compliments with no suggestions on how to improve. It would be mayhem. I'd rather have a near empty forum than a spammed up one.

@Ekubai: Your situation is exactly why I would think a Lit Portal would generate more interest. It's not for the forum regs; rather it could attract those who come to NG for other purposes.

New to Politics?/ Friend of the Devil/ I review writing! PM me
"Question everything generally thought to be obvious."-Dieter Rams

BBS Signature
tinytim12
tinytim12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Mar. 9th, 2011 @ 06:32 AM Reply

Exactly. Imagine if the entire forum was filled with half-assed compliments with no suggestions on how to improve. It would be mayhem. I'd rather have a near empty forum than a spammed up one.

Actually, this forum is the only place I know of so far that has the best chance of giving you a harsh but completely honest critique. We should be more grateful for that fact. Unlike fanfiction.net. By the way, don't hang around that site if you're serious about writing.

When I got outside, the purple fog was spreading. I covered my nose and mouth, and ran home.

BBS Signature
Deathcon7
Deathcon7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Mar. 9th, 2011 @ 05:16 PM Reply

At 3/9/11 06:32 AM, tinytim12 wrote:

Actually, this forum is the only place I know of so far that has the best chance of giving you a harsh but completely honest critique. We should be more grateful for that fact. Unlike fanfiction.net. By the way, don't hang around that site if you're serious about writing.

Perhaps I can temper my critique a bit to be more encouraging, but this is the reason why I review the way I do. Not only do I wish to help people improve, but I want brutal honesty whenever it's my work under the chopping block. The whole get-through-this-quickly-so-we-can-get-t o-mine mentality is a really community killer, and doesn't benefit anyone because in the end you're going to get the same critique you give.

BrianEtrius
BrianEtrius
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Mar. 9th, 2011 @ 08:34 PM Reply

At 3/9/11 06:32 AM, tinytim12 wrote: Actually, this forum is the only place I know of so far that has the best chance of giving you a harsh but completely honest critique. We should be more grateful for that fact. Unlike fanfiction.net. By the way, don't hang around that site if you're serious about writing.

Exactly. My point here was that I'd rather be on a forum with little but good reviews than one many fluffy comments. If that was true, then Writing would become a +1 post forum, and that would be sad to see.

New to Politics?/ Friend of the Devil/ I review writing! PM me
"Question everything generally thought to be obvious."-Dieter Rams

BBS Signature
zalecot
zalecot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Mar. 9th, 2011 @ 10:08 PM Reply

Guys! I have finally found a book I can stick with. After trials, tribulations, and about seven abandoned novels I think I have finally found something I can stick with. It's called Sky Rails; I think I might make a thread for it.

"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things: Of shoes and ships and sealing-wax. Of cabbages and kings!"

BBS Signature
WritersBlock
WritersBlock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Mar. 26th, 2011 @ 12:44 PM Reply

It feels to me like every time I come back here it's the same sort of thing. I talk about how I haven't been here in ages and talk about what I've been doing since then and what I'm working on at the moment, and then I go away for a while and I rinse and repeat.

Well, I've pretty much always got a million billion things happening, but some of them are happening and some of them are not. Like the 20 minute film my friend, an ex-film student wanted me to write and direct, is not really happening at all. My semi-autobiographical poetry collection isn't really happening, and never really had much happening in the first place. My bizarro novellas go through stages of intense happening followed by months of tumbleweed nothing happening.

I started my third year of creative writing at uni a few weeks ago, and as such, my main focus is about making stuff happen. Getting short stories and poems published. Talking to writers and publishers. Going to literary gigs in my hometown and doing the occasional poetry recital. Since the last time I was here, I've had a few more reject letters notched into my belt, and I'm getting the odd story worked into my student magazine here and there. No nationwide publications, no professional literary magazines.

What I'm planning on submitting over the following few months, well, there's the MWC entry here, which I haven't done in quite a while, and a bizarro anthology, both of which I'm about half way through, and (eventually) I'll write a story for the Newgrounds Writing Anthology. I've also written around 4,000 words of fictional blog posts over the past month or so that was sort of a warm up for one of my creative writing units at uni this semester, and I've turned it into a 28 page zine, which will hopefully work it's way onto zine tables at local poetry gigs and perhaps even a local bookstore, so I could start actually selling some of my writing.

On top of that, I've been doing a lot of reading, especially over the holidays. I've taken a huge influence lately from writers such as Chuck Palahniuk, Bret Easton Ellis, D. Harlan Wilson, Tao Lin, Alan Moore and Andersen Prunty.

Now, while I'm not making any promises, I'm not planning on just vanishing again, only to reappear a couple months down the track with more blah blah on how my writing is treating me. I'd like to hang around and talk writing with some of you guys, whether it be books, what you're working on, or the mechanics of writing in general.

READ: "A Fear of Great Heights" and other forthcoming adventures right HERE
Signature Picture by: Spartan204

BBS Signature
mushroomn
mushroomn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Programmer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Mar. 27th, 2011 @ 04:56 PM Reply

Invisible Monsters :)))))))

Mushroomn. 6 years later it's kind of a dumbass name. Sorry about that

BBS Signature
sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Mar. 27th, 2011 @ 09:48 PM Reply

Does anyone know any good books or sites for historical research? Some things I've been able to find fairly easily, but there are other things that are much harder to find out. For example, for the next chapter of my story I'm trying to see if prostitute's in Venice (circa 1189) wore anything special. I have found laws from after the 1300's that say they must wear yellow neck bands, but I've yet to find anything on them in the 1180's.

So, is there anywhere you folks generally go to for information, especially anywhere that holds information on the middle ages?

Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Filmmaker
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Mar. 29th, 2011 @ 03:06 PM Reply

Can someone (or multiple people) do me the favor of proofreading my post on my blog here to make sure that I don't have any stupid grammar or spelling mistakes. I'd highly appreciate it. If you do find mistakes you could PM them to me so I could fix them as soon as possible.

BBS Signature
Abuelodigital17
Abuelodigital17
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Artist
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Mar. 30th, 2011 @ 01:08 AM Reply

At 3/27/11 09:48 PM, sinfulwolf wrote:

I recommend thissite. You can find lots of books about different subjects (history, medicine, archeology...). Most of them are also downloadable.
Good luck doing the research!

I hear voices... and they don't like you
Take a look, leave a comment and whatnot. | Peer support crew. | MA crew.

BBS Signature
sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Mar. 30th, 2011 @ 11:15 AM Reply

Thank ye kindly.

<deleted>
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Mar. 30th, 2011 @ 03:45 PM Reply

At 3/7/11 01:54 PM, EKublai wrote: The first ten things I'm going to submit to the Lit Portal when it comes out won't be short stories, but articles and essays from my university classes on the craft of writing.

You guys might think I'm in over my head, but shit I have one life and I see this as a one huge opportunity.

No, I think that's quite sensible. I'd be interested as to what sort of things you discuss in said articles and essays, knowing that the university thinking on creative writing has shifted to focus specifically on the phenomenon of the 'creative critic'. I myself don't like to dwell on the theoretical fiddly bits (though the question of why key arguments come up in certain spheres in the first place is very interesting and with regards to academia it sheds some light on how competitive the intellectual world is), but I think someone's writing gets better with time because they allow themselves to be exposed more often without worry of prejudice.

Since this forum began, I've advocated the 'creative research' part of things. This means, watch any film or read any book or article (etc.) that you feel might be good, and be open about it. One book that acknowledges this (regarding screenwriting) is Robert McKee's infamous Story, which is hilariously paid tribute to in Spike Jonze's Adaptation. Whether or not you can stomach Story completely (his insistence on 'artistry' in particular is a little numbing), he advises the reader to just research the genre they're writing about, or the approach they're examining. This means that writing a western can just mean watch a lot of westerns (as Dario Argento, Bernardo Bertolucci and Sergio Leone did for Once Upon a Time in the West) and going from there. Writing a surreal dreamscape will almost certainly involving yourself at least with the core essays of Freudian psychoanalysis, such as 'Symbolism in Dreams' by the man himself.

Of course that's all down to preference (especially the last point/example - I'm a Freudian in so many words), but I've long considered just going out there on these forums and asking people to put forward any recommendations for good creative texts on feminism, or psychoanalysis, or supernatural horror, or anything else. I think it's different to 'WOTS UR FAV FILM???', partially because some of my recommendations would not only not be in my top 100, but I also wouldn't like some of them in general. I tried to do it early on with a list of 'good screenplays' (which I could probably offer quite a few suggestions about now) but the interest wasn't so high. It'd be interesting to know if there any thoughts on this and also how much they correlate with what you've (EKublai) written.

ZeeAk
ZeeAk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Art Lover
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Apr. 3rd, 2011 @ 06:38 AM Reply

Guys, guys, guys, guys, guys, guys, guys.

1936, manufactured in Dresden.

Writing Forum Lounge

tinytim12
tinytim12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Apr. 5th, 2011 @ 08:45 AM Reply

At 4/3/11 06:38 AM, ZeeAk wrote: Guys, guys, guys, guys, guys, guys, guys.

1936, manufactured in Dresden.

Do you actually type on that?

When I got outside, the purple fog was spreading. I covered my nose and mouth, and ran home.

BBS Signature
Sharu
Sharu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Melancholy
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Apr. 8th, 2011 @ 05:03 PM Reply

Hi, I'm Sharu.
I've just started reading the writing forum, and I think its a great idea. How long has it been up?
I like writing fantasy, but I don't have much time on my hands so I write poetry when I can.
I absolutely love fantasy, and Tolkien is my idol.
The forum seems good from what I've read so far, and I hope to contribute when I can.
Anyways, just popping in.

"there is no true end to any fairy-tale"~ J.R.R. Tolkien

sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Apr. 8th, 2011 @ 08:13 PM Reply

Welcome Sharu. The forum's been up for awhile now, and has some good works poking around. Take a look around, leave some reviews, post some poetry.

But I encourage you to develop worlds of your own and create through writing. Let's see some of that fantasy work come to play.

ZeeAk
ZeeAk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Art Lover
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Apr. 8th, 2011 @ 09:22 PM Reply

At 4/5/11 08:45 AM, tinytim12 wrote: Do you actually type on that?

Of course I do. I was starting to write my friend a letter for her 21st the other day, when I stumbled across something that seems like a rather obvious design flaw; there's no 1 key.
It reads:
_ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0

DeftAndEvil
DeftAndEvil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Apr. 9th, 2011 @ 12:37 AM Reply

At 4/8/11 05:03 PM, Sharu wrote:
The forum seems good from what I've read so far, and I hope to contribute when I can.

Welcome, friend. Not only should you contribute by posting your stories, but you should also read and comment on others'. Try to keep a 10:1 ratio; post on 10 threads for every thread you make. Obviously you don't have to, but it would be nice to see more comments on other peoples' stories, especially fantasy. I don't really like fantasy so when I see a thread with 0 responses, I want to post a comment, but I don't.

Despite the name, I'm actually good--Deft, and good!

Giving out reviews to anyone who wants them (exception: poems. I'll find you).

BBS Signature
ZeeAk
ZeeAk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Art Lover
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Apr. 12th, 2011 @ 07:08 AM Reply

Today, in my Introduction to Creative Writing class, our tutor challenged us with 'experimental literature.' I decided to jump on my typewriter, and try doing something that I thought would be fun, if not incredible in terms of quality. I'm not sure if it deserves its own thread, especially because it is an external link simply due to the nature of the piece.

Project: Typewriter is what I've opted to call it, and due to the way I've approached the subject matter, does have to be external to Newgrounds. You'll understand why when you follow it, but I do understand that this throws some of you off.

It's not very long - I haven't counted the overall word count, but the first page is ~300 words, and the second's probably around that, too - so it's not a hefty read, but I do hope you enjoy it.

Deathcon7
Deathcon7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge May. 4th, 2011 @ 07:11 PM Reply

...Because you're in a hurry, and we're not that smart.

Writing Excuses is an awesome podcast for anyone who enjoys spinning yarn. It's a great source of advice, motivation, challenge, and entertainment. They hit so many different topics through their currently posted 15 minute 'casts. I've been listening to them while at work to pass the time, and I've found myself in many cases anxious to get home to write. If you haven't been listening to them, I would strongly advise it.

The speakers include Branden Sanderson (who has written/is writing a ton of books, notably the last 3 Wheel of Time books), Howard Tayler (creator of Shlock Mercenary, an awesome sci-fi web comic), and Dan Wells (a horror writer with about 3 books under his belt). Their blend of experience and style reach out to a wide audience. They also have a lot of different guest stars.

They talk about things like writing, habits, publishing, editors, agents, genre writing, character/world building, plot twists, and a lot of other great topics. I've started from their very first episode and am now a couple episodes into season two. It's been a great ride so far, and I feel like I've taken a lot away from it.

X1SephX
X1SephX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Gamer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge May. 5th, 2011 @ 12:08 AM Reply

At 5/4/11 07:11 PM, Deathcon7 wrote: ...Because you're in a hurry, and we're not that smart.

I listened to most podcasts from the main page romance, urban fantasy, action, revision, perseverance

Very cool quotes from "Rewriting" podcast
"Your first draft is for what you want to say but for your final draft is for how you want to say it" Anitas Stansfield

"We write from the heat of our passion but we edit to see the fire through the smoke"

Thx this is pretty cool. However, I HATE how everything they say I completely understand, I know, as if it was common knowledge but I can't find the words to make the sentences. Sorry if that came out obnoxious but currently it is frustrating.

If you're a HARDCORE FAN prepare to be always disappointed.

Deathcon7
Deathcon7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge May. 6th, 2011 @ 12:14 PM Reply

At 5/5/11 12:08 AM, X1SephX wrote: Thx this is pretty cool. However, I HATE how everything they say I completely understand, I know, as if it was common knowledge but I can't find the words to make the sentences. Sorry if that came out obnoxious but currently it is frustrating.

It's a matter of experience. Someone can explain to you how to swim, or how to ride a bike. They can do it ad nauseum. It wouldn't mean you'd be able to do it the first time you try, or even the tenth time. It's about practice. It's about making the connections between what you know, and what you can do. With writing, especially, it's also about ego. I know personally I have times where I feel I'm doing something right, but I don't feel I'm doing it well. These times are important because they teach you to get over your doubts. Write the first draft, get the actual story down. Then you can edit and address any issues you may have. Who knows, that chapter you wanted to delete because it deviated from the plot, or you felt it wasn't well written, can end up being a pivotal chapter in your story.

The lesson you should always take away from this type of advice is, you won't know until you do. So go write until you figure it out. It's the only way you will.

Deathcon7
Deathcon7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge May. 6th, 2011 @ 10:56 PM Reply

For the paranoid out there, DropBox is an amazing, and free, data redundancy solution. I've been paranoid of losing my data since it's only held on my netbook. If it's stolen, lost, or destroyed, all my stories, ideas, and accrued work would be lost. Anyway, I've started using DropBox and a veritable load has been lifted. Now I can focus on writing, and pitching things to NG members in an awfully commercial fashion.

If you're interested, use my referrer link and we'll both get an additional 256 MB of space: http://db.tt/7W7N838

X1SephX
X1SephX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Gamer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge May. 6th, 2011 @ 11:16 PM Reply

At 5/6/11 10:56 PM, Deathcon7 wrote:
If you're interested, use my referrer link and we'll both get an additional 256 MB of space: http://db.tt/7W7N838

So let me see if I can understand one part of the video. It'll update automatically if I save a doc. with changes?

X1SephX
X1SephX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Gamer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge May. 6th, 2011 @ 11:18 PM Reply

At 5/6/11 11:16 PM, X1SephX wrote:
So let me see if I can understand one part of the video. It'll update automatically if I save a doc. with changes?

My bad, what i meant was that I can have the original doc. save it with changes, and Dropbox will recognize the changes and update itself automatically? Presuming that there is a program to dl.

Deathcon7
Deathcon7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge May. 6th, 2011 @ 11:31 PM Reply

At 5/6/11 11:18 PM, X1SephX wrote:
At 5/6/11 11:16 PM, X1SephX wrote:
My bad, what i meant was that I can have the original doc. save it with changes, and Dropbox will recognize the changes and update itself automatically? Presuming that there is a program to dl.

You have to download the program, and it'll backup your files based on the changes. This is done on a data block-level; it's jargon, but essentially you save a different version of the file, close the program, and Dropbox will upload only the changed blocks. There's a folder, a "drop box," where your files are stored. It works, it's awesome.