00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Allthingz2020 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Writing Forum Lounge

187,189 Views | 2,353 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2011-05-11 01:37:19

At 5/10/11 08:48 PM, JohnEndel959 wrote: So a while ago I made a post thanking you guys for the criticism I received on a story I wrote.

NG Writing Forum: 1
Other freshmen at your school: 0!

:P

Giving out writing reviews to anyone who wants them (exception: poems. I'll find you).

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2011-05-11 12:11:28

Congrats JohnEndel

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2011-05-11 21:19:09

Congratulations JohnEndel. Remember though, it's a just a first. A lot of writers can be flash in the pans. Continue to work and I hope for your success.

New to Politics?/ Friend of the Devil/ I review writing! PM me

"Question everything generally thought to be obvious."-Dieter Rams

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2011-05-11 21:40:29

Congrats John! I hope you learned that valuable lesson that comes before learning humility: that getting published isn't all that hard ;)

As for the rest of us, let's continue to plug at it and claim our own victories in the NG Anthology. I'm certain that quality work will spur the project back on track. I'm sure the editors don't intend to, but having read slosh-pile before, it's hard work. Let's give them a reason to read!

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2011-05-11 23:04:00

That's really cool, John. Congrats.

I know I've been pretty quiet around here lately - I do still frequent the forum, checking a few times every day - but I will be making a sincere attempt to rectify that over the next little while. I love the atmosphere of this forum, and I love all of you guys who feel exactly the same way - heterosexually, of course. Just wanted you guys to know that I wasn't vanishing or anything. I've just had an enormous university workload, and I've been feeling really drained lately.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2011-05-12 00:05:35

Great job, John. I only recently started, and Have already met DeftAndEvil, but I hope that soon i will get to know more of you and to read your works, and to have you read mine. Also, what are some interesting forms of poetry, because i only know the basics and would like to experiment on other forms. Thank you.

"If you make a man a fire, he's warm for a day. But if you catch a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life." -Terry Pratchett

www.oryuswriting.net

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2011-05-12 18:15:53

At 5/11/11 09:40 PM, Deathcon7 wrote:
As for the rest of us, let's continue to plug at it and claim our own victories in the NG Anthology. I'm certain that quality work will spur the project back on track. I'm sure the editors don't intend to, but having read slosh-pile before, it's hard work. Let's give them a reason to read!

Ugh, I've been stuck on that forever. I wrote a (really) rough draft of a story, tentatively titled "Creed, Conviction, and Dim Lights" but scrapped it because it wasn't good. I wrote a better draft but ultimately scrapped it again because it was exactly like "The Fall of the House of Usher." As of late, I am incapable of writing anything, but mostly because I am swamped by finals.

Seriously though, I want to finish "Dim Lights" and I am throwing myself behind it. When I finish the next draft, I'll pass it around to get some feedback before submitting to the NWA.

Giving out writing reviews to anyone who wants them (exception: poems. I'll find you).

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2011-05-12 19:34:50

We need an increase in character limit.

Right, now.

Your friendly neighbourhood devils advocate.

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2011-05-12 19:44:16

At 5/12/11 07:34 PM, ArmouredGRIFFON wrote: We need an increase in character limit.

Right, now.

What? Eight thousand not long enough? Can't you find a natural break in your story so you can make multiple posts? I know at times it's somewhat annoying, but there should be some sort of natural break.

New to Politics?/ Friend of the Devil/ I review writing! PM me

"Question everything generally thought to be obvious."-Dieter Rams

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2011-05-16 01:34:48

Ugh. I have experienced a minor setback for me posting Heroic. My main computer crashed and lost all data a while ago, and it had Heroic on it. This was a while ago, but I thought I still had it because I had originally written it on my laptop and then transferred to my main. Turns out the version on my laptop is completely unedited. When I get a copy of the magazine I'll make all the changes again and post, but right now there's no way I'll remember all the things I did to it. Sorry!

Sig by Byteslinger.

Writing by John Endel.

Zombie Story! <= read it! Nuclear Apocalypse Story! <= read this too!

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2011-05-17 20:02:33

I doubt you'll ever be "known," but if you would like to at the very least be considered a regular, you should participate in the Weekly Writing exercises (to resume shortly), the Monthly Writing Contest (as participant and judge), spend the time to critique as much work as possible, and create your own work's thread and link it in your signature.

Thanks a lot for this tip man, i'll be sure to do that. Also what you said about being "known" is an unfortunately true, but perhaps even if ONE of us do become "known" then it will raise the popularity of the forum and help the rest of us become "known". Just an idea.
-Daniel

You are reading this

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2011-05-25 02:30:12

For heaven's sake; someone please post something--a new story; a work in progress; an outline--anything! All I see are collaborative efforts (vampires/doomdays/zombies) and very rough ideas (very undeveloped, I must add). The Writing Forum has gone very slow these past few days and I haven't read anything worthwhile since "Beginning of the End" by Neutrality abouta week ago. I don't mean to sound whiny--but I am (whining). I will backtrack and comment on stories that have no comments or I haven't read.

On a personal note, I really need to get some inspiration so I can finish my current work. I've caught another bout of the reading bug, but 19th century novels do become rather boring, eventually. Reading some good works by my peers on NG does encourage to try to achieve (and surpass--competition, my friend) that level.

>.>

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2011-05-25 07:03:24

Hello folks, been a while right? Not sure if you remember me but I've been around this forum before wrote a few stories... most of which were mediocre... one of which I felt was really good but hey, I didn't proof-read and I do not trust myself as a proof-reader and editor. I'm a little more confident in that regard but I am not the greatest either. However, going to university and taking and modestly passing an English Qualifying course has made me better in academic writing... point is moot as creative writing allows things academic doesn't.

Now. I need inspiration.. with everything in my life but it's my goal to be a novelist... and I need to get inspiration back to write. I don't really do outline but if I must I will and I am asking for my peers to support me a bit. If you have any suggestions I will make not... If you have anything please feel free to do so... that is all.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2011-05-25 14:54:42

hallo yuz guyz! I'm still new to writing and have a bunch of ideas clogging up in my brain and i thought I should post em up here. But it looks things are getting slow over here, just like everywhere else that has to do with writting stories and stuff. I looks like people would rather be playing video games rather than read lol! I havent been in this section in a long time so i got some catching up to do.

i got an idea for a story about an old school street gang, kinda like the warriors. I'll post a lil prolouge and see if you guys like it or not!

Hot Zenny! - Youtube - Our gaming channel

AquaHulk MUSIC - Youtube - Our Music channel

-Check out our content if you'd like!

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2011-05-25 21:54:11

At 5/25/11 02:54 PM, MyMuslimFriend wrote: I looks like people would rather be playing video games rather than read lol! I havent been in this section in a long time so i got some catching up to do.

People don't want to waste their time. Give them a reason to read, and they well. And you can give them a reason by building recognition. You build recognition by participating. To participate you have to read and critique and discuss other peoples' work first.

You also have to have some skill, otherwise you won't retain readers.

Hint: You can mollify concern over your writing by being observant of what you say and how you say it; most especially in regular posts.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2011-06-02 16:15:37

Would any one know the gains and losses from doing a comic with just writing a novel? Being that you can do both write and draw.

If you're a HARDCORE FAN prepare to be always disappointed.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2011-06-02 22:28:26

At 6/2/11 04:15 PM, X1SephX wrote: Would any one know the gains and losses from doing a comic with just writing a novel? Being that you can do both write and draw.

Consider that with the written word alone you're only limited by your imagination, where with a Comic you're limited by the layout of the page. You have to be extremely concise with dialog, setting has to fit within the frame, and you really only have a certain number of pages to finish (comics usually being about 24 pages?). You can, of course, more clearly express your vision in a comic format, especially if you arc multiple comics; more so if you use the graphic novel format and arc over a few of those. The reader knows exactly what he's looking at, can quickly detect emotion (visual context: frown, smile, posturing for a fight, etc.), and is basically more quickly immersed into the world.

Ultimately, on the difficulty side of it, when expectations and standards come into play, I think they're at the same level of difficulty. If you can't draw, or don't have an artist, I'd definitely recommend sticking to a novel to tell your story.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2011-06-03 20:00:48

Brand New Interview.

Interview with Monocrom
Old school Newgrounds writers and readers will recognize the name. But for those who have forgotten, he was the one behind A little ghost story..

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2011-06-25 19:23:56

Hello, everyone. ^_^

If you don't remember me, that's cool. For anyone who does, I've decided to return after around a year. I'm about 10,000 words into a fun new novel, too. I haven't exactly written anything in over a week and a half, but I can fix that, hopefully.

If you don't like my poetry, scroll down the page a bit. It gets better.

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2011-06-25 21:34:19

Dang, I wish I was around for this first Golden Age of the Writing Forum. Anyway, RWT, I'm looking forward to seeing an excerpt :)

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2011-06-27 03:00:10

I've just received some news, and I thought I should share it with you all, because you've been a great help in terms of aiding me in the development of writing skills and style. For this reason, I feel like I have you all to thank for this email that I got today:

'Congratulations! Your entry for the Imagining The City Writing Competition, Vibrancy, has been successful. As a winner, you will need to attend a couple of meetings & a workshop with QUT creative writing staff in order for it to be published as an e-publication in early November 2011.'

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2011-06-27 19:51:21

At 6/27/11 03:00 AM, ZeeAk wrote:

Nice :)

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2011-07-13 23:45:28

I wish that the writing forum was a more popular one. :( Not forgetting to mention the lack of new stories recently...

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2011-07-14 10:20:45

There's a lack of stories?

Hm... I'm predominantly a musician/voice actor, but I have a couple of stories laying here and there.

Anyone interested?

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2011-07-14 10:32:58

Sure! :)

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2011-07-14 11:05:14

Alrighty then. I'll post one up today. :3

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2011-07-14 11:31:32

Forgive the double post.

It's here!
http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1259 776

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2011-07-14 11:52:53

It's here!
http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1259 776

Cool! I'll read it later, I'm going out soon.
Brb

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2011-08-07 13:06:21

How many of us are doing Camp NaNoWriMo this month? I'm finding it an amazing way to motivate myself, and after only eight days, I'm sitting on 19, 500 words.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2011-08-07 15:39:02

At 8/7/11 01:06 PM, ZeeAk wrote: How many of us are doing Camp NaNoWriMo this month? I'm finding it an amazing way to motivate myself, and after only eight days, I'm sitting on 19, 500 words.

I thought about it, and it seems like a good idea. Except, I don't feel like writing a novel. I don't have anything planned or set, Maybe next time.

BBS Signature