>:D

DarklordMike545
DarklordMike545
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-05-28 19:49:27 Reply

darn if i only knew of this earlier i would of posted my story idea here...SHAZAM *smoke bomb*

Weither you like it or not, it still will be there the next day, and the next day, and the next...

Wolf-Raven
Wolf-Raven
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-05-29 19:21:21 Reply

A minor revalation:

You may try.

You may try as hard as you can.

And hell, you might even succeed

But when inventing sports for your book, it will not be as awesome as quiditch or calvinball.

Just say'n.

Political Science: A haughty soap opera. Philosophy: A cold, mind-fucking bitch.
I love them both
"Manuscripts don't burn"- Mikhail Bulgakov

JustAnotherPunk
JustAnotherPunk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-05-29 20:05:52 Reply

I'm not really good with introductions, so I'll skip all that. Instead, I'll enlighten you all on what I've been doing lately, and what can be expected of me in the future.

I've always loved to read, and I try to make as much time as I can to do so. Until about two weeks ago, though, I hadn't read anything for about two months. So, naturally, I took a little trip to my local Barnes and Nobles to see what I could pick up.

Now, I'm a huge nerd in every sense of the word. And what kind of nerd doesn't enjoy a few table top games? I like to play Warhammer, both 40k and fantasy. To my astonishment, Barnes and Nobles actually carried a few series from the Warhammer 40k universe, and so I bought six or seven books from the Horus Heresy. Orgasmic. I'm reading book 5 at the moment, entitled 'Fulgrim'. I have to say it's probably my favorite series as of yet. The books are very indepth, and include a lot of Greek Mythology references. As I said before, I'm a mega-nerd, so of course I've read tons of Greek Mythology. I highly recommend the books to anyone. ANYONE. The book itself is set in the future, but isn't exactly limited to the genre of Sci-Fi. Plus, a good number of authors write these books and deliver a new one every few months.

Hrm, I get a little too excited about books sometimes. Apologies.

ANYWAY, I like to write poetry. I write, for the lack of a better term, "dark" material. But now and again my immature sense of humor shows itself, and I'll no doubt post some terrible garbage that I myself thought was worth a giggle or two.

Also, I've been a little inspired by the books I've read lately, and I've been writing a little myself. No promises that it'll amount to anything, but I hope it will.

And if you actually took the time to read this whole post, expect a cookie in the mail.
JustAnotherPunk

MiSFiTT
MiSFiTT
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-05-31 21:49:01 Reply

Hello everyone!

I just suggested in a separate thread that the moderators should create a writing forum lounge!

Anyone agree?

BBS Signature
TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-05-31 22:05:42 Reply

At 5/31/10 09:49 PM, MiSFiTT wrote: Hello everyone!

I just suggested in a separate thread that the moderators should create a writing forum lounge!

Anyone agree?

/pat
I see we have a lost one here.

Failure should push you until success can pull you.

BBS Signature
passionne
passionne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-01 19:29:04 Reply

Hi I am Passionne" . A very old rusty writer.I often wrote as a child and teenager.But life called and I packed my writing skills away.They emerged very dark.So now I am back in the light.I would like to resume my writing.I welcome all tips and constructive criticism I am a big girl I can take it.
I am random.Everything from kids stories to a dance with the devil.Pleased to meet everyone.
I will post on occasion..

Writing Forum Lounge

passionne'

BBS Signature
Wolf-Raven
Wolf-Raven
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-01 19:39:28 Reply

Hello Punk and Passion! Glad to see you all posting, and just remember: Just because the huat-culture people don't like your writing doesn't mean the mindless, teenage fad-zombies won't

=D

Political Science: A haughty soap opera. Philosophy: A cold, mind-fucking bitch.
I love them both
"Manuscripts don't burn"- Mikhail Bulgakov

<deleted>
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-03 10:33:56 Reply

I'm glad to see that this forum is still somewhat lively, and it's always good to see new faces. I've been hovering around, but more or less, I've been inactive for quite a while.

I finished off my year at uni today with an exam, so I'm 'free' for some time now provided things go swimmingly. In all honesty, I've let that feeling run to my head: I'm sitting here with a beer, feeling the breeze flowing in on a nice summer's day. Ahem, yes, but really, it's not quite over yet.

I will be back for a while though, hopefully for criticism purposes in a big way, but also to submit my own stuff. It's convenient that you've been discussing a story relating to Mexican drug wars, setting out your characters and what-not. I recently wrote a short non-fiction piece on my day in Tijuana, 2001, as a tourist at eleven years old. It's not been workshopped to a great extent, but it's something I have people could perhaps check out at some point in the near-future. Flicking through recent material briefly, it's as if non-fiction is still under-utilised here, and I think more than a few of us have good stories to tell on that front. If you're interested, I recommend the Orwell essays 'A Hanging' and 'Shooting An Elephant'. Yes, they're both miserable. Effective though.

But anyway. Hello to everyone.

Recently watched films I recommend:

Last Year at Marienbad (France, Alain Resnais, 1961) - not to be watched when you're tired, but rather when you want a challenge. You may find pretentious - you have been warned. You have also been warned that I may spout silly interpretations if faced with a argument of pretentiousness in this film.

The Lost Weekend (USA, Billy Wilder, 1945) - a classic, first watched by me some time ago. You'll like it, it's about a writer. And alcohol. Provides early use of 'that horror movie sound', provides mainstream hallucination sequence that is still bizarrely creepy.

Wavelength (Canada/USA, Michael Snow, 1967) - Avant-garde classic - can be watched in a somewhat questionable quality here. Try to last forty-three minutes, it's fun! Or rather, mildly unnerving, or boring as you may think. Wear headphones at full volume while watching. I did!

Also, I heard some people take Andy Warhol films seriously the other week. lol.

Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-04 04:58:28 Reply

At 6/3/10 10:33 AM, Scarab wrote: I'm glad to see that this forum is still somewhat lively, and it's always good to see new faces. I've been hovering around, but more or less, I've been inactive for quite a while.

If you feel like a challenge, the Monthly Writing Contests are back.

Also, Tom is hosting a competition for Robot Day, best to look for his NG News thread about it.

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey
News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
munio
munio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-04 11:55:21 Reply

is there any specific place that those robot stories should be posted?
Can we combine it with this months MWC?

BBS Signature
TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-04 12:01:28 Reply

At 6/4/10 11:55 AM, munio wrote: is there any specific place that those robot stories should be posted?
Can we combine it with this months MWC?

If you mean for the prizes, yes. Tom, or another admin, will create a topic for the contest on the 9th of July, or so he says. You also have to be in a collab for Robot day to have it considered, though -- not sure if this is how he meant it but that is how I understood the news post.

BBS Signature
TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-04 14:33:32 Reply

I love all the spam we seem to be getting today ;/

BBS Signature
Ass-Crumb
Ass-Crumb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-04 14:41:25 Reply

At 6/4/10 02:33 PM, TrevorW wrote: I love all the spam we seem to be getting today ;/

Lorkas's story was funny, atleast.

Good Threads: 1 2 3 4 5
I can't see shit

BBS Signature
TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-04 15:32:39 Reply

At 6/4/10 02:41 PM, Ass-Crumb wrote:
At 6/4/10 02:33 PM, TrevorW wrote: I love all the spam we seem to be getting today ;/
Lorkas's story was funny, atleast.

His is alright, I guess. The other four are just lame and immature.

BBS Signature
<deleted>
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-04 15:48:02 Reply

It's kind of why I've been asking for some time to get some attention to the writing forum and how it might be operated. It's not a question of 'pleasing the trolls', it's a question of serving people and what they essentially use the place for: to showcase their writing.

And it doesn't reflect well. The forum is treated as a joke by some, as it was minutes afters its creation. It's a view, for writers, that can't be afforded in this day and age.

Someone can contact a mod if they want to. At this stage, it seems a little bit embarassing, but it will help to refresh the forum of course.

RNNR
RNNR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-04 15:55:23 Reply

At 6/4/10 02:41 PM, Ass-Crumb wrote: Lorkas's story was funny, atleast.

It doesn't exactly make it look good though.

Perhaps a more rigorous approach has to be taken, similar to the Art forum, which is very tightly run.
It's actually pretty good looking.

- The Run -- Cargo || The Run -- Drop - The Run is an episodic sci-fi story, click the image to go to the Main Page.

BBS Signature
TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-04 15:57:52 Reply

I sent Wade the following letter encouraging the in-statement of a writing mod. I hope he gets back to me, though I realize he is bussy and that may take time. We shall see what the staff can do for us.

I'm sure they will do what needs done, they always do.

------------

I would like to demonstrate my concern for the lack of attention the writing forum gardens in terms of moderation by pointing out the following fact, and by demonstrating the affects of that fact: to my knowledge the only active mod on the writing section of the forums is Coop83, with Evark and others sometimes checking in. Due to the fact that we have one mod on this section we find that spam can creep up and then sit on our forum:

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1171 311
http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1171 310
http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1171 309
http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1171 308

These topics were all made by a spammer and they have been sitting near the top all day. Furthermore, we are prone to topics such as this abomination:

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1171 295

Now I realize that these unfortunate postings can be cleared when a mod happens to get on, but in the meantime we have to deal with them. Not to mention a slight continuation in my plea. When I made a new version of the Poetry Battles I had to find Reneanea on AIM to get her to lock the old topic for me. If I had not tracked her down it would have sat for days, if not weeks, without a proper lock. Also any contests have to remain open because there is no one to lock them once their periods are over (Eg: the poetry battles, the short story battles, the torny topics, ect).

Basically we need someone(s) to help out with the maintenance of the writing forum. I'm sure if they had time Gumonshoe, writersblock, and other currently instated mods would help; however they have lives and are not presenting the activity that we really need. It would be a great asset to have an active writing mod, or mods, one which we would hope comes from our regulars. We would greatly appreciate it.

Yours truly,

TrevorW

BBS Signature
Ass-Crumb
Ass-Crumb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-04 16:01:34 Reply

At 6/4/10 03:48 PM, Scarab wrote: It's kind of why I've been asking for some time to get some attention to the writing forum and how it might be operated. It's not a question of 'pleasing the trolls', it's a question of serving people and what they essentially use the place for: to showcase their writing.

And it doesn't reflect well. The forum is treated as a joke by some, as it was minutes afters its creation. It's a view, for writers, that can't be afforded in this day and age.

Someone can contact a mod if they want to. At this stage, it seems a little bit embarassing, but it will help to refresh the forum of course.

I agree with this mostly, I think that the Writing forum doesn't really have any attention from alot of good writers on the bbs; I remember before writing was banned on the General forum that there were all kinds of users posting BBS stories and whatnot on the forums, and whether or not they were good they were all in good spirit and were fun. Then there were all kinds of good writers like Monocrom and Sarai who have just plain left the bbs, or who haven't bothered posting any material here because of how they percieve the writing forum or because of the userbase here.

Fact of the matter is that I think you should just leave trolls like that alone and let them fuck with everyone, and for fucks sake feel free to flame them back. Just get some fun all up in this stuck up forum, that's probably the reason why users from General haven't come on here as much.

Everytime I see a thread like those the replies are never 'lol these stories are gay' it's always some stuck up bitch trying to act like he's above everyone. 'OH, YOU WOULD LAUGH AT THIS SUBSOPHMORIC HUMOR WOULDN'T YOU.'

tl;dr most of you are pretty gay stop trying to make this forum so professional all the time and cut loose every once in a while.

I can't see shit

BBS Signature
Abuelodigital17
Abuelodigital17
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Artist
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-04 16:27:48 Reply

At 6/4/10 03:57 PM, TrevorW wrote:

Seconded. Recently, I have stumbled across a bunch of threads that are trolling attempts. The only one that has been dealt with is the 'Writing for bordom contest' (sic). It's getting infuriating, this is supposed to be a serious forum.

I hear voices... and they don't like you
Take a look, leave a comment and whatnot. | Peer support crew. | MA crew.

BBS Signature
TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-04 16:29:26 Reply

At 6/4/10 04:27 PM, Abuelodigital17 wrote:
At 6/4/10 03:57 PM, TrevorW wrote:
Seconded. Recently, I have stumbled across a bunch of threads that are trolling attempts. The only one that has been dealt with is the 'Writing for bordom contest' (sic). It's getting infuriating, this is supposed to be a serious forum.

I agree, this forum should be rather serious.

BBS Signature
Ass-Crumb
Ass-Crumb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-04 16:54:20 Reply

At 6/4/10 04:29 PM, TrevorW wrote: I agree, this forum should be rather serious.

This is where I think this forum is going wrong. IMHO this forum is already way too serious as it is; if someone comes along and makes a post then it will most likely get 2-3 critiques, generally full of the same things without any actual discussion or fun to be had. I think that it's necessary to find a balance between writing for fun or leisure and writing here to improve your work.

My suggestions? Just let people do fun stuff. If you don't like the trolls pay them no mind, but don't hound them off or anything like that. Let regulars like Lorkas have their fun. Let people do forum games and bbs stories and battles and whatnot. It's not exactly hurting anyone.

My problem with this forum is, in laymen's terms, that I don't like the userbase here. It feels really stuck up; more people are interested in just posting their poetry than having any semblance of fun, something which forums like general thrive on.

And incidentally, it feels like alot of you are only helpful just because you want to hold on to the desperate hope that you'll be modded; this isn't the first time that this shit has happened, I remember a while back that you guys all used this thread to band together to try and get you so called 'regulars' modded. When the actual regulars who were going to this forum before the writing forum came about they all had to get you off of your fucking high horses because you didn't know how it worked.

Your pleas probably won't change a whole lot. The mod team has their own way of selecting moderators, if this forum needed them then they'd probably have them by now. But as it stands, Coop and Evark are pretty much getting the job done themselves. It's the fact that I doubt they're going to mod any of you retards on the strength of what you added to the Writing forum. This forum is dead 95% of the time, and about 20 posts are made in a given day unless there's a discussion like this going on. It literally takes no more than 20 minutes at the end of the day to mod this forum, you guys are all just complaining that it isn't getting done as fast as you personally want it.

On a somewhat unrelated note, what scarab is suggesting is all good, but it by no means needs a moderators help in working out; just work any rules and standards out amongst yourselves and do it yourselves, and if it actually seems like it's a good idea the mod force would probably come around as a result of it.

I'll reiterate what I've been saying for a while now; this forum doesn't really need a lot of moderation. You guys all seem to have this mindset that we NEED moderation, or that we NEED a writing portal, or that we NEED to have more cooperation from the Newgrounds staff and that if you whine about it enough you will have your way. Please grow up guys, it's just a forum. Shooting off pm's to Wade and Tom will most likely just have you ignored.

I can't see shit

BBS Signature
<deleted>
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-04 17:02:30 Reply

Along similar lines of Ass-Crumb, though I'm not with that view entirely, is that the forum shouldn't be '100% serious' in any way. Some mods popped in here some time ago just to tell some users to lay off technicialities and other boring matters here in the lounge thread. It's silly to bother with it in casual conversation. It's why the politics lounge, as avie said I believe, lays off politics.

I'm aware of the irony here, but bear with me.

Another danger of treating this forum 'seriously' is that you do what the Oscars and other mainstream awards ceremonies do and pretty much completely ignore comedy and satire. I recently re-discovered the controversial British media satire Brass Eye - look up clips if you've never seen it - it's hilarious, cringey, and somewhat meaningful despite the ridiculous imagery throughout. Like a lot of satire, it's meant to be silly. Some satire is darker, yet unable to shed its skin due to popular assumptions - never get into the 'Jim Carrey should've got an Oscar for The Truman Show bit, it's not worth it. A scriptwriting tutor here at my uni was in Life of Brian (he's the Roman guy at the crucifixes near the end, and he has a bunch of extra roles), which in itself should demonstrate that I've been taught writing isn't a wholesomely serious thing.

I don't post in spam threads myself, because that's the first thing I got in trouble for here. That's not to say that I don't find some spam funny either - there was a 'fill in the bubbles' spam thread on General back when Jamoke was still a mod, using the scene in Inglourious Basterds towards the end where Raine and Utivich talk to Hans Landa (this one). And it was just this in summary,

'Trolling is a art.'

'You mean an art.'

':D'

':|'

I recently posted in a criticism-based thread, and that post was meant to be fun to read, with a few jokes. That said, people want to post their stuff here. That's the big problem when it comes to general spam. The perception thing is more of an unfortunate side-effect right now, but again, that's not to say that I've interested myself reading some of the regular posts here in the past.

Anyway, I got in touch with Tom yesterday, and hopefully Trevor's message should get some attention. At its most cynical, it just seems like an untapped market if nothing's really done. No one wants that when this place is, after all, a business.

TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-04 17:07:14 Reply

Ass-Crumb if you want to have fun have fun. Some of us take it more seriously, it happens. The two kinds of people will always exist and if one is the majority then so be it. Case in point, some of us just have a more serious mentality -- stuck up or not.

BBS Signature
Ass-Crumb
Ass-Crumb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-04 17:20:45 Reply

At 6/4/10 05:07 PM, TrevorW wrote: Ass-Crumb if you want to have fun have fun. Some of us take it more seriously, it happens. The two kinds of people will always exist and if one is the majority then so be it. Case in point, some of us just have a more serious mentality -- stuck up or not.

My point is that this isn't a serious bbs in the first place. Go on general from time to time; it's by no means serious, and that's where most of my problems come about. The entire bbs is run by people who are not serious, and this forum should be no exception. All you guys are pretty egocentric and that's why I always see you writers try and take hold of all the issues here; moderation, rules, etc.

But from my standpoint, all you guys are retarded. I've been going onto general for a while and 90% of the shit you do- such as getting together and shooting off pms at any admin you think will notice- are the exact kind of things you'd get flamed for without remorse on general and so I'm jaded to alot of your more n00bish antics.

Seriously, I want you guys to step into the Newgrounds Stickam chat and ask them what they think of the writing forum. Pretty much everyone will just tell you that the writing forum and all the people on it are fucking retarded, and it's shit like this that gives off that vibe; that you all think this place should be professional, that you all are doing shit that anyone with 10 posts on general would tell you is a noobish thing to do. That you guys are all stuck up and no fun.

I can't see shit

BBS Signature
TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-04 17:33:54 Reply

So? This is here, that is there. I lighten up in other areas of the forum, and I have seen other writer's forum people do the same. General is a mosh-pit of w/e, this is a sub form for budding writers. Two different concepts entirely.

I for one can careless if the general forum community thinks we are "noobs" because we want law and order. They can stay on their lawless general and we can have our forum the way we like.

A lot of the general humor doesn't interest me either; as I am sure the humor does not interest many of the people here. Why? Many of the writers here are either older or in a different frame of mind than the general goers. A lot of the general forum humor is plain immature, which is fine because that is what general was made for. The writing forum was made to share ideas, concepts, and such. This is a place of intellectual discussion and a showing of work.

How I do agree that some people need to read other's work instead of just looking for blind praise, but that is another subject.

BBS Signature
RNNR
RNNR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-04 17:37:17 Reply

Interesting development.

I'm not one for police-baton-up-my-bumhole-nazi-tactics-
in-order-to-preserve-...-something. In the end that stifles creativity.
Writing should be fun and if the environment we're writing and communicating in is anything but, there is a problem.

But when I took a gander at the writing forum, interested in picking up writing again I found the aforementioned "troll" and "spam" threads and that was a bit of a turn-off.
I'm going to assume I'm not the only person who'd think that upon seeing the first page, so it could potentially scare off new blood.

I'm in favour of Ass' suggestion of working out a gameplan.
What do we want this forum to be and how can we design sets of rules to keep it that way?

- The Run -- Cargo || The Run -- Drop - The Run is an episodic sci-fi story, click the image to go to the Main Page.

BBS Signature
<deleted>
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-04 17:43:39 Reply

The issue is though Ass-Crumb, that writing has a bit of a bite against it anyway. I know that even before the forum was created, there was this 'DeviantArt' stigma about it. It essentially didn't make much sense as an argument, but I suppose that's the BBS for you. Like you say, it's not a serious place. It's a place I like to come and make gags myself.

With the former in mind though, not many have similar attitudes towards the art forum. This is of course, because the site is visual arts-based. It's very much possible that the community is to blame on some levels - like I've agreed, some of the moaning some time ago was... well, pretty retarded, like Ass-Crumb puts it. In this thread, let's just talk. I don't bring movies up on a regular basis to seem like an intellectual buffoon, though I hope I am one of those; I do it because I'm a film student, and I want to see if anyone's seen the films I'm talking about, is all.

By the way, since I mention Brass Eye, has anyone seen Four Lions? I read a preview ages ago and I thought it looked great. I missed it at the box office though, DVD time it will be.

It is wrong to compare this forum to General though. Check out Politics, or Wi/Ht for that matter. 'Just like a General user :)' is practically an insult regarding ignorance in those places. It's just not as deep as it seems to be here. It helps that I'm writer fascinated by formalism myself - I take inspiration from anywhere and anything. On that front, people just need to learn to expand themselves a bit more. Ironically, I do think this discussion is interesting (and funny, to a self-loving degree - I acknowledge that my ego is large, and the problems that it causes) for what it brings out!

Also ironically, I was advised to message Tom by a Stickam user! Whether it was just to get rid of me, that may be a question, but this is what I'm referring to - this forum has a bad wrap for its 'seriousness'. I don't agree completely with either of you. I think the thing is that this site is an alternative - you don't need to write what Producer A has paid you to write, and you should get to talk to people. It's less about 'seriousness' and 'retardedness', and more about...

Well, writing actually. And making light of the fact that most of us are young. Many of us are told, 'You don't have enough experience'. That's what we by-pass here - I hope that can be illuminated at least.

And in my case, making light of Britishness. I love Britain's iconography. In contrast, being British is like being the JoeCartoon frog. You can piss everyone off as much as you please, but you're inevitably going to have your insides splattered all over the place for comic effect.

Ass-Crumb
Ass-Crumb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-04 17:57:01 Reply

At 6/4/10 05:33 PM, TrevorW wrote: So? This is here, that is there. I lighten up in other areas of the forum, and I have seen other writer's forum people do the same. General is a mosh-pit of w/e, this is a sub form for budding writers. Two different concepts entirely.

And at one point general allowed writing, and you know what? The writing community was at it's strongest. That's why if you go to a thread like Mast3rMind's BBS Battle royale it'd have 20+ pages and easily outshine any other thread that general had to offer. My point is that you shouldn't just go to a story, give it a two paragraph critique and then leave it at that. Let people have battles, bbs stories, bbs games, whatever. Let people come in, say 'I like this story, continue it' and then go back to doing whatever they want to do.

I for one can careless if the general forum community thinks we are "noobs" because we want law and order. They can stay on their lawless general and we can have our forum the way we like.

No, you fucking retards don't want law and order, you want to be modded. Every single time you go on a splurge about it and send pms to some admin who will brush it off brings me more and more to that conclusion. This forum is modded perfectly well already, it has law and order. It just isn't fast enough for you. I'd honestly like to know- have you even contacted a MOD about these spam threads? I'm sure that if you did they'd nip the threads in question in the bud atleast fairly quickly.

Jesus fuck this isn't Judge Dredd.

And fyi you are the ones who chooses the rules, and this is precisely the reason why I keep saying you have your heads stuck up your ass; you have the power to get these users dealt with, you're just the kid in the classroom who stops the quarrel himself and starts an argument rather than going to the teacher like he rightfully should.

Need I remind you, you jackasses have already shot off pm's at tom, luis and wade over this before only to be ignored and have users like IFUN and Tigerkitty tell you to lay off.

A lot of the general humor doesn't interest me either; as I am sure the humor does not interest many of the people here. Why? Many of the writers here are either older or in a different frame of mind than the general goers. A lot of the general forum humor is plain immature, which is fine because that is what general was made for. The writing forum was made to share ideas, concepts, and such. This is a place of intellectual discussion and a showing of work.

My problem isn't the humor of it, it's that it isn't appealing to most of the users in General- plenty of whom are writers that I'd place on par with the best this forum has on here- that you guys are scaring off a potential flock of users who aren't just fun, but actually talented enough to keep up with you all, and in many cases top you, in writing talent.

It's just as Scarab said; it's scaring away any attempt at comedy and making this forum appear too serious. Most of the writing that happened prior to this forum was on the General forum, and there were alot of people who had an incredible amount of dedication to stories that weren't even good. They loved it just because they loved writing.

I can't see shit

BBS Signature
TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-04 17:58:28 Reply

I think we could have more fun, but to sink to the level of general would be a shame. I feel that as long as the post is somewhat on topic and somewhat helpful then there can be some humor. I would like to add that since this topic is rarely good natured, we could really use a chit chat area.

I just hate the irrelevant posts and the way some people talk (eg: This is gay, you retard, ect).

BBS Signature