Be a Supporter!

Writing Forum Lounge

  • 126,909 Views
  • 2,432 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Abuelodigital17
Abuelodigital17
  • Member since: Apr. 18, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Artist
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-04 19:29:12 Reply

Like you're doing by saying that people on general have the sense of humor as 8 year olds? My, I'm sorry for not living up to your epicurean standards.

I'm critizing their sense of humor, not insulting them like you do. Learn how to use tu quoque. You should also learn no to use lame-ass generalizations, not all of us shoot PMs to mods and admins about what we consider a problem. And us regulars don't like spamming, but we don't have the hysterical disproportionate reactions you say we have, that's just the way you see it.


I hear voices... and they don't like you
Take a look, leave a comment and whatnot. | Peer support crew. | MA crew.

BBS Signature
<deleted>
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-04 19:30:30 Reply

With Lorkas' post, I would've laughed at it, offered mock criticism, given a bit about how it's not quite what the forum is for (annoying people essentially, and you know, blocking other things) and then lock it. End of. We'd get in a chuckle.

For Chaotix's sake Ass-Crumb, give me a bone! It discomforts me that I'm in this 'you people' sphere! I want to know my problems!

Seriously, I don't mean this as a mock argument.

TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Member since: Sep. 27, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-04 19:34:42 Reply

At 6/4/10 07:07 PM, Ass-Crumb wrote:
On an unrelated note, grow up. Insulting people who have a different opinion is childlish and will cause people to stop taking you seriously.
Like you're doing by saying that people on general have the sense of humor as 8 year olds? My, I'm sorry for not living up to your epicurean standards.

Case in point, you will never get away with that sort of language in a respectable environment. What would a potential employer think of such foul and disrespectful language? They would frown upon it because it is deemed socially incorrect, because it shows disrespect, an inability to be understanding, and that kind of approach/ language is plain plain ignorance. You attack people ass-crumb. Your a bully, nothing more. And you contribute to so much less compared to what you harm. All you ever do on here is complain and insult the users; well, go back to general. Seriously leave, and while you leave consider actually growing up and trying to join adulthood -- your 16, its coming upon you fast.

ANYWAYS

I do like the idea of a more comedy friendly thinking. We really do need more laughs, but I feel that they should be responsible too, as in not in all caps. All caps is highly annoying. Comedy is awesome, even the South Park-ish comedy, I just think the effort should be there as well.

Also I would encourage people to post on poems/stories they like, even if they have nothing to ad. Yes a "Nice" can be annoying if repeated 100 times but a few doesn't hurt ;) We all like a little reassurance. Hell, we can even try to hurry these people along so that the next part comes out faster.

I think we should also lighten up in the lounge. Have a serious forum but a light hearted lounge. A place to take a break if you will. We used to have this area designated as a comfy place but that times seems to have passed and its a shame it did.


Failure should push you until success can pull you.

BBS Signature
Ass-Crumb
Ass-Crumb
  • Member since: Mar. 31, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Musician
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-04 19:57:55 Reply

At 6/4/10 07:34 PM, TrevorW wrote:
At 6/4/10 07:07 PM, Ass-Crumb wrote:
On an unrelated note, grow up. Insulting people who have a different opinion is childlish and will cause people to stop taking you seriously.
Like you're doing by saying that people on general have the sense of humor as 8 year olds? My, I'm sorry for not living up to your epicurean standards.
Case in point, you will never get away with that sort of language in a respectable environment. What would a potential employer think of such foul and disrespectful language? They would frown upon it because it is deemed socially incorrect, because it shows disrespect, an inability to be understanding, and that kind of approach/ language is plain plain ignorance. You attack people ass-crumb. Your a bully, nothing more. And you contribute to so much less compared to what you harm. All you ever do on here is complain and insult the users; well, go back to general. Seriously leave, and while you leave consider actually growing up and trying to join adulthood -- your 16, its coming upon you fast.

Lol, now you're just attacking me as a person, and it's funny. I'm not sitting here bullying you, I'm stating the facts as I see it, and I can easily contend that you're closeminded for ignoring me on the basis that you think I'm bullying you. And FYI, I don't insult the users; I'm going to stop with that guise right now. I'm insulting you, and all the other users on here that are like you, but I assure you, you are the most glaring example. Every single fucking minute you're on here you clogging this fucking forum with your tirades on how this forum needs moderation and how it needs to be 100% serious when it doesn't. I generally disagree with you, but this is by far the most laughable response to anything I've ever said.

Here's a good question: What does this have to do with getting employed? I'm on a forum on the internet, if I was sitting here looking for business I would probably give you my resume. What that has to do with anything, I don't know. It's closeminded that you'd think I would honestly call an employer or my parents a fucking retard, or whatever you think I do.

because how I act on the internet = exactly how I act in real life. I guess in real life I also have a fairly large image gallery I carry around and throw out pictures whenever the situation calls for it.

This is literally the exact thing I'm talking about when I say you guys take yourselves to seriously. Just because I throw around words like fuck and retard I guess that makes me a cyber bully then.

Grow up you pussy.

Oh, and it's *You're.

funnyhomeboy
funnyhomeboy
  • Member since: Aug. 10, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-05 01:34:44 Reply

You know what, I was actually thinking of putting down a response, but after reading about of page of this argument, I found that doing such would be quite useless, since it would solve nothing except incite an teenager's wrath against me...as well as me probably coming off butt-hurt.

I'm never really 'good' when it comes to discussion, I suppose. I guess really an extra mod would be an unnecessary comfort.

Although I do have to point out, Ass-Crumb does seem to attack people when he tries to retort their statements, and it comes off negatively to me. I'm not 'regular', but at least be polite, even if the statement IS 'retarded' or 'idiotic'.

We all have our weak spots in our intellectual fields. :P

Wow. I told myself I wouldn't respond when I actually did. I'm stupid. Or just pointing a few things out.

Oh well.


I put the BS in BBS.

BBS Signature
RNNR
RNNR
  • Member since: Nov. 16, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-05 05:00:50 Reply

Oh, for fuck's sake.
Are you lot going to continue flinging shit at each other, or actually do something worthwhile?

This forum needs to be improved, correct? Then stop trying to pull each other's pants down so you can laugh at the size.

Suggestions

- A complimentary 'rules and guidelines' thread, stickied to the top, similar to the one found in Art. This would provide a fallback and set everything in stone. I'm sure we can all agree on a set of rules without trying to cockslap each other.

- Additional events: maybe we can organise an audiobook competition. 'Critique [...]day' in which all regulars go on a critiquing spree of every story posted in the last 7 days, etc. Moar competitions!

- Perhaps a competition where two writers are thrown together by random selection? Throw in an inexperienced one with a vet so they can feed off of each other's creative energy.

- We could use a dedicated, stickied thread about proper critiquing.

- Stickied thread dedicated to writing resources.

- Dedicated IRC channel, or any other means of direct communication (Skype et al).

- Cut the hostilities, it's not helping in any way, shape or form. We're the ones that will make or break this forum and it needs to grow and progress, not stifle and stagnate.

Take it from here, please.


- The Run -- Cargo || The Run -- Drop - The Run is an episodic sci-fi story, click the image to go to the Main Page.

BBS Signature
TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Member since: Sep. 27, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-05 07:28:09 Reply

At 6/5/10 05:00 AM, RNNR wrote:
- A complimentary 'rules and guidelines' thread, stickied to the top, similar to the one found in Art. This would provide a fallback and set everything in stone. I'm sure we can all agree on a set of rules without trying to cockslap each other.

This one I agree with. However I think we had this argument a couple months ago and nothing came of it.

- Additional events: maybe we can organise an audiobook competition. 'Critique [...]day' in which all regulars go on a critiquing spree of every story posted in the last 7 days, etc. Moar competitions!

Talk to an audio mod or at least some decent voice actors. I would do this but I have some other ideas in mind.

- Perhaps a competition where two writers are thrown together by random selection? Throw in an inexperienced one with a vet so they can feed off of each other's creative energy.

That's hard. Getting people to randomly work together is messy.

- We could use a dedicated, stickied thread about proper critiquing.

- Stickied thread dedicated to writing resources.

Too many stickies!! We can't even get one :(

- Dedicated IRC channel, or any other means of direct communication (Skype et al).

Go for it.

- Cut the hostilities, it's not helping in any way, shape or form. We're the ones that will make or break this forum and it needs to grow and progress, not stifle and stagnate.

Take it from here, please.

I plan to bring a couple more events to the writing forum rather soon. I am finally at a place with everything else to where I can work on other things. Megakill taking over much of the poetry battle updates helped with that drastically.

Anyways give me a couple days and I will have an event I have been planning out. It will be a lot of fun and will be more open to the general public.


Failure should push you until success can pull you.

BBS Signature
Abuelodigital17
Abuelodigital17
  • Member since: Apr. 18, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Artist
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-05 10:39:58 Reply

At 6/5/10 05:00 AM, RNNR wrote:

Those are good suggestions, especially the sticky thread explaining the specific rules and the sticky covering proper critiquing.
As for the trolling issue, PMing mods about threads we think break the rules is okay, but we should also ignore the trolls. What they want is attention, if their spam posts get zero replies and sink to the bottom of the page they have failed. Also, people who act immature shouldn't be taken seriously, it accomplishes nothing but derailing the discussion into a flamewar.


I hear voices... and they don't like you
Take a look, leave a comment and whatnot. | Peer support crew. | MA crew.

BBS Signature
<deleted>
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-05 11:34:46 Reply

Yeah Trevor, the specific forum rules bit is probably the oldest argument we've got going for us here. It was brought up on the day the forum was created to quite a large extent, by me and a couple of others. I still stand by it, if only to just reinforce what's already in the rules.

Like I've said, this website, creatively, is visual arts based. That's just not going to change obviously. I think a decent approach would be to do what Audio regulars do, seeing as they're aware that sound is something, but it's there to serve artists in the context of NG. If anyone's going to actively write something to put up in here, then there should be space for it of course.

There are two things that just need to be accepted about the BBS and its writers though:

1.) We're definitely stuffy. I can definitely see what Ass-Crumb's talking about in that sense. It's silly to think we're the only egomaniacs here though. The place in general, because of how close-knit the community is practically built on people being egocentric. That's why you get in-jokes and 'exclusive' sub-communities. In Politics, it's about getting your opinion across. In Wi/Ht, there's a game about how helpful you can be, and it's a neat distraction if you're in the right mood. Flash, Art and Audio need to be compeitively egotistic, like we do too. It's just how art, or creativity, works. It's no coincidence that many of my idols in different fields are/were complete assholes when it came to reality.

This is also why I actually enjoy the discussionss I have with film tutors, and they're smarmy gits for the most part. The thing is that they're clearly aware of it.

2.) Leading from that last bit, writing has possibly suffered the worst as far as people wanting their creations to be taken seriously. Film has it in regards to society. I often tell people I'm a film student, and they may reply 'Oh, a doss subject.' The thing is, that's just silly. Yes, lightening up is definitely a thing that needs to be done in some cases. At the same time, look at Audio, Art and Flash. Those regulars want their stuff to be looked at. Even if you're writing comedy, you want someone to look at it. Writing has a disadvantage in that it often isn't considered 'shocking', what drives a little indie scene like we have here. It's considered dated in many respects. Writing about a touchy subject in narrative form? Congratulations, you've just written Lolita. Confessional poetry? Nice one Sylvia Plath wannabe, now go and hang yourself, lol. Complete nonsense? The famous Dada poem 'Karawane' pre-dates both of these things I already mentioned.

Poor Modernism...

Anyway, like I and Ass-Crumb said (ore vividly in his case), NG isn't really the place for in-depth stuff that I love to sink my teeth into personally. I had a dream the other night, where I was afraid to walk up some stairs because of a woman I could see through a window above. I nervously turned to a different path and entered an empty beautiful silo. What did I do when I woke up? I didn't jerk off, I grabbed the notepad at my bedside and wrote 'possible sexual doubts and worries - looking for attempts to disguise self', something quite Freudian. And then I jerked off.

If anyone has any website suggestions for freaks like me, I'm always eager for new places!

Especially an avant-garde place, because I love the shit those styles hold. Mentioning Dadaism was deliberate: Dadaism is essentially one gigantic in-joke that people pretended to understand. Having a toilet upside-down in an art gallery? It's not fucking deep at all - it's trying to piss people off.
It's so obvious, and it's essentially the first lesson in Dada/Surrealism 101, but not many people seem to get it these days.
8 YEARS LATER.
<deleted>
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-05 11:51:42 Reply

Also, sort of related to the last post, do any of you feel that watching films again and again is more 'acceptable' than reading books over and over again?

I was browsing General a few days ago, and there was a thread where claimed to have read Frankenstein eighteen times, or something silly. A lot of people dug into him for the fact that it was a book he was referring to.

I watch films over and over all the time. Just going off the DVDs I have here: I've seen Lost in Translation, Hannah and her Sisters, Duck Soup, Dr. No (most Bond films - the only one I've not seen yet is Quantum of Solace), Man Bites Dog, Dawn of the Dead (such a favourite of mine), Groundhog Day, Breathless, and probably others upwards of about ten times, maybe more in some cases.

And I'm not gloating at all. Repeated viewings of Man Bites Dog are not recommended, unless you are masochistic and like depression. I can't watch films like Funny Games more than once, not for the content, but for the psychological implications. Having a killer in a film turn to the camera and wink at you is harder to swallow than you might think. It applies that he's just doing it to please you, because after all, you bought the ticket.

But yeah, would reading novels over and over get similar responses?

Abuelodigital17
Abuelodigital17
  • Member since: Apr. 18, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Artist
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-05 12:13:53 Reply

At 6/5/10 11:34 AM, Scarab wrote:

The regulars being a bunch of stuck-up assholes is something that happens in every forum. Get over it.

Every forum has its squad of morons who think they run the place. 'Vets' will always be condescending or just plain rude towards newcomers, even if they don't act cluelessy or try to piss anyone off.
Like I said, those who don't like the atmosphere here because we're 'too serious' or 'too stuck-up' should stop bitching and get the fuck out. Nobody will miss them. 'Lighten up' my ass.


I hear voices... and they don't like you
Take a look, leave a comment and whatnot. | Peer support crew. | MA crew.

BBS Signature
<deleted>
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-05 12:32:28 Reply

Well, I guess that's a key difference ascertaining to me personally.

I take the forums mildly, because it's counter-active to do much else. It's like the Goth subculture, I used to know some Goths in school, some of whom were a little over-the-top. Others were a bit more in the know: like surrealism in art, the Goth subculture is a great big in-joke essentially.

Granted, I re-discovered Marx, Engels and the more Rousseau-ean contributions to social contract theory once I came to university, and I try to put a reference or two relating to my philosophy when I use the Internet. I'm a new idealist. I like to see people get along and also reacting to shit.

Like I said, we're egomaniacs, that's just going to happen. I fear that going overboard brings us to what the British film industry has become, with its 'dead since Trainspotting' status developed by critics. It's a ton of bollocks. I don't know Grayson Perry so much, but he's right: 'we've got a Conservative government to fight against, and we've got no money... this is a healthy moment for art.'

Of course, I think of myself as a surrealist in time, and good surrealists never make shallow political ties!

RNNR
RNNR
  • Member since: Nov. 16, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-05 13:27:45 Reply

At 6/5/10 07:28 AM, TrevorW wrote: This one I agree with. However I think we had this argument a couple months ago and nothing came of it.

Argument? As in a discussion between several parties about which rules and guidelines to apply?
Excuse my presumptuousness, but did it turn into a penis-size-comparison-party?

Oh, and do you perchance (or anyone else) remember suggested rules & guidelines?

Talk to an audio mod or at least some decent voice actors. I would do this but I have some other ideas in mind.

College's out in ~3 weeks, I'll throw it into the 'Maybe/Later' pile of my projectlist.

That's hard. Getting people to randomly work together is messy.

No, it isn't.
It gets messy without a clear, common goal, a way to reach that goal, a way to fail reaching that goal and a clearly defined playing field.

Too many stickies!! We can't even get one :(

Says who?

Go for it.

PM me for my Skype/MSN/Wave info.

I plan to bring a couple more events to the writing forum rather soon. I am finally at a place with everything else to where I can work on other things. Megakill taking over much of the poetry battle updates helped with that drastically.

How about a central thread where people can give input about possible events. Random tangent: lyric contests (we could throw in singers and musicians). There I just thought of one.
We need to build a place where creativity like that can be thrown into the mix and see if the crowd will dance to it.

Anyways give me a couple days and I will have an event I have been planning out. It will be a lot of fun and will be more open to the general public.

Ooh, tell us! What is it?


- The Run -- Cargo || The Run -- Drop - The Run is an episodic sci-fi story, click the image to go to the Main Page.

BBS Signature
<deleted>
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-05 13:52:00 Reply

For reference RNNR (I know you weren't addressing me, but piping in I am), this thread was created on the day of the forum's creation, by gumOnShoe when he was still a forum mod. I, and some others, suggested some rules, or rather, guidelines.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not really a serious guy. I just remember though, seeing that there was a writing forum on NG. My first thought was, 'Fucking fantastic, but I hope for the love of everyone, they've thought about this one - I genuinely hope they didn't just plunk it down to appease old complaints/suggestions.'

I don't like some of the assumptions that have made here recently about wanting to help out. I don't want to be a forum mod. If I was asked right now for some bizarre reason, I'd turn it down. I have personal issues to work out, and truthfully, I enjoy offering advice from my own point of view. When you're a mod, you essentially need to go with the jokes and the politics of the higher-ups. I'm in a rebellious time in my life, so I don't accept just going along like that, personally speaking.

Kevin Bacon was lame by the way, haha. Fun, but pretty lame.

Well, it was a step up from the 'it's only a joke' near-racism of some parts of Chinagrounds, I suppose.

Some other suggestions have been made in this thread, with a mixture of light-heartedness and not so in some cases. Unfortunately, I'm lazy. I'm not going back over posts in this thread right now, but it's there.

On the topic of stickies, I believe it's outside of the forum's technical capacities (from what I've heard). This forum was built from the ground-up by Ross, that's what makes it unique in a way. I personally don't think stickies are necessary outside of a more tailor-made rules set like the Art forum, but that's really only relevant once we get a wider audience here. The other creative forums do very well just keeping lots of resources together, by userpages and so on. I think we can do that.

But we need to be appealing to an outside audience. It should be obvious that I don't have any place under my knowledge to post writing and get criticism, besides DeviantArt (which suffers a tremendous stigma) and much smaller sites. It's all well and good for the forums to be light-hearted - I always try to be entertaining to read in posts like this - but we're still looking to get some writing done. I do stand by my somewhat jokey references that hold that people wouldn't walk into the other creative forums and just troll or whatever. People would be upset, because something they've made matters to them.

I am planning on recording some poems after possible workshops. I don't do that just to show off, I usually have points in my poetry. I may not be a good poet, but hopefully we can talk about that.

Geez, I never run out of shit to say regarding artistic outlook. Give me a few years!

RNNR
RNNR
  • Member since: Nov. 16, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-05 14:28:01 Reply

I skimmed the thread you linked, there are actually some great ideas in there, but... that's it really, a bunch of ideas. For some reason the discussion died and now all that's left is a big mess.

Or at least, that's how I feel about the writing forum.
There's no dynamic, there's no interactivity, it's just a couple of guys doing... something.

I came up with a few possible guidelines, got some good feedback but I'm not getting that 'hey, that's AWESOME, let's make it happen!!!' vibe here.

I see the art forum (I bring it up all the time as it's a great place) and there are dozens of regulars throwing in creative energy in their own, but most importantly each other's threads, bouncing off ideas, welcoming rookies daily and actually making them feel welcome.

It's a grand mass of thoughts, fun, inspiration, creativity, energy and awesomeness.

Why am I missing that here? I could go on my own epic adventure and achieve what I want, but ultimately this forum isn't just for me. That completely defeats the purpose of a forum.

Come on! This is a challenge that's screaming right in your faces.


- The Run -- Cargo || The Run -- Drop - The Run is an episodic sci-fi story, click the image to go to the Main Page.

BBS Signature
<deleted>
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-05 14:36:00 Reply

At 6/5/10 02:28 PM, RNNR wrote: Come on! This is a challenge that's screaming right in your faces.

I don't think my own thoughts have ever been worded so brilliantly by someone else.

Now that I've got a few months, I will be having a go at meeting that challenge, I hope. In fact, I just noticed the Robot Day thing, and had a few thoughts immediately.

My ideas so far relate to Jan Svankmajer's Food, I'll say. Possibly NSFW.

Haven't I linked this film before? Yes, because it's a favourite of mine.

TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Member since: Sep. 27, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-05 17:11:01 Reply

the cause of the conclusion is spread wide over the last couple pages.

I have come to the conclusion -- no, the realization -- that my way of going about writing is not how this forum would abide to. I am about reaching perfection in writing. Deep stuff: the storytelling for me comes second to the ideas behind the words. I refuse to call this way of thinking a flaw but more of a difference. Therefore, I am going to step away from the keys, so to speak, and let the forum take its course.

I will run my battles and what ever else I do and I will still post; but, for now, I am just going to hold my tongue on the direction of the forum.


Failure should push you until success can pull you.

BBS Signature
RNNR
RNNR
  • Member since: Nov. 16, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-05 17:45:04 Reply

At 6/5/10 05:11 PM, TrevorW wrote: I have come to the conclusion -- no, the realization -- that my way of going about writing is not how this forum would abide to. I am about reaching perfection in writing. Deep stuff: the storytelling for me comes second to the ideas behind the words. I refuse to call this way of thinking a flaw but more of a difference. Therefore, I am going to step away from the keys, so to speak, and let the forum take its course.

I will run my battles and what ever else I do and I will still post; but, for now, I am just going to hold my tongue on the direction of the forum.

Abide to? Are you implying that there are guidelines here? Because there aren't, but if there are feel free to tell me otherwise. I'm the new kid on the block here, so... yeah.

Based on that, how would 'your way of writing' go against the 'established order'?
Even more so, isn't writing a means of expression? Personal feelings, desires, passions, commentaries built in the sandbox we call paper? Shouldn't you celebrate your interpretation of the art by screaming it off the PHP-powered rooftops?

There isn't a standard in art, much less writing.
There should however be a standard in the environment we need to set up here, which I believe this discussion is about.

What that standard exactly is, I don't know exactly. I'm merely trying to set up a place where creative juices can flow, inspiration can be shared and awesome things can emerge.
What I do know is that 2 people know as much as 3, and that 3 know as much as a million.

This is a forum about writing, we just so happen to be writers and right now (it seems) we can do anything we want with it.
I want this place to flourish, I'd like to think I'm not the only one and I'm going to assume you would want the same.

Now this isn't to be my place, or Ass-Crumb's place or Scarab's. This forum should belong to all of us and we can make or break it.

You are most welcome to shoot down any crazy ideas I (and hopefully other people) come up with and I personally wouldn't mind another creative spirit chipping in on how we can get this place back on its feet, in all your glorious differentness.


- The Run -- Cargo || The Run -- Drop - The Run is an episodic sci-fi story, click the image to go to the Main Page.

BBS Signature
MiSFiTT
MiSFiTT
  • Member since: May. 27, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-05 19:29:43 Reply

Is this the Writing Forum Lounge or the "SAVE THE WRITING FORUM" thread?

I need to loosen my tie.

Come on guys!!!

Rather than transforming a lounge thread into an intense discussion board and clogging it with worthlessness, you guys should start taking action!

Create exciting new threads that inspire and influence others! Bring this forum to life! Mulling over what to do accomplishes nothing; the fact that the topic of discussion lies within the forum lounge is where the problem begins!

If you complain about receiving generic or amateur reviews (if any at all) don't complain about it; how many TRULY thoughtful reviews have you put out there? Lead by example and others will follow suit.

If you write some incredibly long and complex poem or some boring and drawn-out, dragged-through-the-mud story, don't expect people to take the time to read AND review it. Whether you are looking for advice to improve, or attention to build your ego, that's not the way to get it! Be kind to people and make them WANT to read and review your work by keeping them at a reasonable length. There's no artistic limit here; if you want to write a 5,000 word short story (or a 500 word archaic poem), by all means do so! But don't whine about want of critique afterward.

We are the heart of this forum and we have the choice of pumping blood through it's veins or remaining idle while it dies.

Participate in contests! Post in threads! If none interest you, create your own!

Forums are not so different than relationships: They thrive on passion and acceptance; they are destroyed by complications and severity.


BBS Signature
SilentCobra
SilentCobra
  • Member since: Oct. 25, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 32
Gamer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-05 20:05:24 Reply

Well this is a LOUNGE after all. I mean what else are people going to do in a lounge setting? Granted I'm not really one to talk after me not posting in here for a long time, I've just been busy enjoying my break from work since the 14th of May.


Sig by Byte | Steam ID -- SilentCobra | PS3 Gamer Tag -- SlntCobra1
Writers Lounge | EGB | PS3

BBS Signature
TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Member since: Sep. 27, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-05 22:11:48 Reply

At 6/5/10 05:45 PM, RNNR wrote:

I am very picky and I demand very complex ideas as well as articulate structures. I am a big believer in good and bad writing and really do not appreciate writing as just expression, to me it is a art to be perfected. I have found that Newgrounders prefer a fun and nice story, regardless of artistic flawlessness -- which isn't a bad thing. I just see things differently.

I admire perfection. All of my favorite books are award winners or classics. This is just me ;)


Failure should push you until success can pull you.

BBS Signature
<deleted>
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-06 05:48:00 Reply

Today I move out of university accomodation and head back home to my nice suburban household where I can be as lazy as I want for a few months.

I am absolutely determined to write a review of my year here at uni, focusing on both the academic side and the residential side. Highlights will include:

- Censorship!

- Vomit!

- Plumbing! (seriously)

And remember, it's all for the sake of comedy, like with CSI. or The X-Files.

RNNR
RNNR
  • Member since: Nov. 16, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-06 13:59:23 Reply

At 6/5/10 07:29 PM, MiSFiTT wrote: Is this the Writing Forum Lounge or the "SAVE THE WRITING FORUM" thread?

Can it be both? Just this one time?

Rather than transforming a lounge thread into an intense discussion board and clogging it with worthlessness, you guys should start taking action!

I like you.

Create exciting new threads that inspire and influence others! Bring this forum to life! Mulling over what to do accomplishes nothing; the fact that the topic of discussion lies within the forum lounge is where the problem begins!

I really like you.

If you complain about receiving generic or amateur reviews (if any at all) don't complain about it; how many TRULY thoughtful reviews have you put out there? Lead by example and others will follow suit.

I think I love you.

We are the heart of this forum and we have the choice of pumping blood through it's veins or remaining idle while it dies.

I am in love with you.

Participate in contests! Post in threads! If none interest you, create your own!
Forums are not so different than relationships: They thrive on passion and acceptance; they are destroyed by complications and severity.

Will you marry me?

*ahem*

I'm all for the above, but a safety net of sorts would be beneficial. A fallback for a time of great crisis and impending doom.
Something to get but most importantly keep the ball rolling.

I could open up a separate thread where we can discuss how to make this forum more awesome and keep it that way.


- The Run -- Cargo || The Run -- Drop - The Run is an episodic sci-fi story, click the image to go to the Main Page.

BBS Signature
TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Member since: Sep. 27, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-06 14:38:41 Reply

At 6/6/10 01:59 PM, RNNR wrote:
I could open up a separate thread where we can discuss how to make this forum more awesome and keep it that way.

Just do that here. No sense in having 16 topics on the matter.


Failure should push you until success can pull you.

BBS Signature
MiSFiTT
MiSFiTT
  • Member since: May. 27, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-06 15:35:47 Reply

At 6/6/10 02:38 PM, TrevorW wrote:
At 6/6/10 01:59 PM, RNNR wrote:
I could open up a separate thread where we can discuss how to make this forum more awesome and keep it that way.
Just do that here. No sense in having 16 topics on the matter.

I like the idea and we'd only need one topic ;)

The flow of the discussion could be disrupted here with people posting random tidbits of whatever they want; it is the writing forum lounge after all.

A new topic would also create a more focused environment that would centralize what we need to accomplish; not to mention the header would attract more users to collaborate ideas.


BBS Signature
TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Member since: Sep. 27, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-06 15:45:16 Reply

At 6/6/10 03:35 PM, MiSFiTT wrote:
At 6/6/10 02:38 PM, TrevorW wrote:
At 6/6/10 01:59 PM, RNNR wrote:
I could open up a separate thread where we can discuss how to make this forum more awesome and keep it that way.
Just do that here. No sense in having 16 topics on the matter.
I like the idea and we'd only need one topic ;)

The flow of the discussion could be disrupted here with people posting random tidbits of whatever they want; it is the writing forum lounge after all.

A new topic would also create a more focused environment that would centralize what we need to accomplish; not to mention the header would attract more users to collaborate ideas.

The thing with this group is that they all have ideas but so few actually go through with them. So few of the people on this forum have actually constructed a well thought out and well ran idea. If we want more stuff actually make the ideas work. Look at my poetry battles: I spent a month writing out the rules and such for that and I spent hours updating and re figuring everything, not to mention the hours I have put into running it.

We don't need ideas. We need people who actually accomplish something and do it right. We also don't need a bunch of crappy forum games and such. Formulate real stimulates. More topics does not equal better topics/forum.


Failure should push you until success can pull you.

BBS Signature
MiSFiTT
MiSFiTT
  • Member since: May. 27, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-06 16:36:37 Reply

We don't need ideas. We need people who actually accomplish something and do it right. We also don't need a bunch of crappy forum games and such. Formulate real stimulates. More topics does not equal better topics/forum.

But isn't that what this whole discussion is about? Conceiving ideas or "real stimulates" and then actualizing them; or at least shaping some higher order to uphold?


BBS Signature
TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Member since: Sep. 27, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-06 16:49:14 Reply

At 6/6/10 04:36 PM, MiSFiTT wrote:
We don't need ideas. We need people who actually accomplish something and do it right. We also don't need a bunch of crappy forum games and such. Formulate real stimulates. More topics does not equal better topics/forum.
But isn't that what this whole discussion is about? Conceiving ideas or "real stimulates" and then actualizing them; or at least shaping some higher order to uphold?

I'm sort of redistributing my attention back to what I have actually been doing on this forum. I have been actively shaping this forum since day one, but I have also been one of the key stuck up, bitchy people. I'm done bitching. Your fresh blood has made me smile and frown at the same time, and therein I am done whining. Let's do something good, but others have to step up. We have had a few try but alas they haven't held to it.

To give Ass-Crumb credit, he did step up and hold down what he started. Kudos.

I'm saying we need people to create well thought out things for this forum. Well constructed collabs, ect. The general feeling will come with time, worry about the tangibles. If all the actively well-and-good people here would participate in already created ventures and create new things to participate in the forum would grow nicely.

Right now we have:
Poetry Battles
Short Story Battles
A torny (which is small and closed now for the contest)

Those have done well but we need more. We have yet to have a successful collab or even a widely open contest.

We have had a few discussions too, but they are far and few. More topics discussing ideas and such would welcome new and lively people.

Lastly, I am against a new topic. Leave it at this. We know what needs to be done...or at least we each have our own visions. Go out and try to craft that vision.


Failure should push you until success can pull you.

BBS Signature
TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Member since: Sep. 27, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-06 16:51:54 Reply

I would like that a few have helped in the creation/running of some things and they are to be credited too:
Sinfulwolf
Mr. 666
Megakill

ect.


Failure should push you until success can pull you.

BBS Signature
RNNR
RNNR
  • Member since: Nov. 16, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-06 17:13:52 Reply

At 6/6/10 03:45 PM, TrevorW wrote: The thing with this group is that they all have ideas but so few actually go through with them. So few of the people on this forum have actually constructed a well thought out and well ran idea.

Ah, the curse of the Dreamer. The bane of the right brain.
Let's work that left hemisphere then, baby!

If we want more stuff actually make the ideas work. Look at my poetry battles: I spent a month writing out the rules and such for that and I spent hours updating and re figuring everything, not to mention the hours I have put into running it.

Q: was that by any chance the first time you tried doing it?
Because the first time you're doing something, you're bound to do at least something wrong. It's a universal law.

You do something and you try your very best. But that's all you can do really. It's not perfect, it never is. That's why you gather feedback and implement that to bring it to the next level.

We don't need ideas. We need people who actually accomplish something and do it right. We also don't need a bunch of crappy forum games and such. Formulate real stimulates. More topics does not equal better topics/forum.

Let's see how that goes.


- The Run -- Cargo || The Run -- Drop - The Run is an episodic sci-fi story, click the image to go to the Main Page.

BBS Signature