X1SephX
X1SephX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 45
Gamer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-05-05 15:49:42 Reply

just found some good ass trance radio stations to keep me going! WOOT!

If you're a HARDCORE FAN prepare to be always disappointed.

kidd25
kidd25
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-05-06 21:36:19 Reply

can we do chacter worksheet here, like a history for gaming chacther

BBS Signature
Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-05-07 07:19:15 Reply

At 5/6/10 09:36 PM, kidd25 wrote: can we do chacter worksheet here, like a history for gaming chacther

I don't see why not - I've used this sort of thing to help develop the back story for one or two of my characters over the years.

In fact, I think I used some of that back story in the entry I made for the Monthly Writing Contest in Either February or March...

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey
News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
InsertFunnyUserName
InsertFunnyUserName
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Melancholy
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-05-08 12:25:51 Reply

At 5/3/10 03:45 PM, Ravariel wrote: Dead in here lately. What's everyone up to?

Schoolwork, lots of it.

But, I can't say that it isn't partially self inflicted. In my English class, currently we're doing independent projects that will take us somewhere into the start of June. I chose to take on the National Novel Writing Month idea and write a novel by June 5th. My goal is 40,000 words and currently I'm at 3000 (I need to get going; I'm behind). I don't think it'll kill me as writing for an hour and a half or more each day is what I do anyways, but it's still going to be a good deal of work especially with end-of-term assignments coming in. But, It'll be alright.

I'm also reading four more books for the same class by June first. In total, I'll have read five. I've just finished Invisible Man on Thurdsay, I'll have Streetcar Named Desire done for Tuesday and then I'll be reading The Great Gadsby, Fahrenheit 451 and Slaughterhouse V. I'm not stressed about that as that isn't really a lot of reading for me, but that's part of what I'll be doing.

On an unrelated note, I'm also thinking about starting a webcomic with some online friends. I don't know if that will actually take off, but it's in the planning.

Man, I haven't posted in this thread in ages.

[quote]

whoa art what

BBS Signature
TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-05-08 12:35:38 Reply

At 5/8/10 12:25 PM, InsertFunnyUserName wrote:

I'll be reading The Great Gadsby, Fahrenheit 451 and Slaughterhouse V. I'm not stressed about that as that isn't really a lot of reading for me, but that's part of what I'll be doing.

All brilliant books! But its spelled Gatsby!

Also I would suggest that you read "The Road." Simply a brilliant book.

Failure should push you until success can pull you.

BBS Signature
InsertFunnyUserName
InsertFunnyUserName
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Melancholy
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-05-08 13:05:37 Reply

At 5/8/10 12:35 PM, TrevorW wrote: All brilliant books! But its spelled Gatsby!

Ah, yeah, I don't have the book on hand.

What's it about?

[quote]

whoa art what

BBS Signature
TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-05-08 13:21:53 Reply

At 5/8/10 01:05 PM, InsertFunnyUserName wrote:
At 5/8/10 12:35 PM, TrevorW wrote: All brilliant books! But its spelled Gatsby!
Ah, yeah, I don't have the book on hand.

What's it about?

It is an emotional representation of a world without beauty, hope, or dignity. The world has ended. It is also the manifestation of the greatest strength a man, father, and person could muster in order to save the slight chance the world has. This book gives testimony to the will of humanity and the true goodness that can exist in them among a vast plain of destruction.

Also I wish I read that much. I'm reading the Three Musketeers and that will take me a couple weeks. My eyes hurt after 100 pages or so ;/

BBS Signature
stimcrab
stimcrab
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-05-08 16:15:16 Reply

At 5/3/10 03:45 PM, Ravariel wrote: Dead in here lately. What's everyone up to?

I've been being murdered by school. Especially AP tests. Then, in the summer, I'm doing some leadership conference thing that I can slap on my college apps. So, I haven't been here, and I don't plan on being here really all that much. I'm really sorry guys...

Hey, flash artists, want an idea? Check this out: The Scarecrew

And everyone, please check out the latest humorous spy serial, The Frank Keretta Stories

Wolf-Raven
Wolf-Raven
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-05-13 15:27:30 Reply

Speaking about murdering something that can't die or can't murder, WHO LET THIS TOPIC DROWN!

It's been wallowing in countless dark grayness aching for the writer's community to show it the sweet sweet love it has and/or had! IT LONGS to be swept from beneath the pile of peer review scandal and scribbled feelings!

...so...write any good books lately?

Political Science: A haughty soap opera. Philosophy: A cold, mind-fucking bitch.
I love them both
"Manuscripts don't burn"- Mikhail Bulgakov

Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-05-16 01:51:39 Reply

I haven't been here in forever

I don't really no why, just haven't figured it in my time recently

Anyways I have been writing recently

I have a big essay due in which we write a conversation between characters we read about the characters we have read about that year.

I'm writing about the characters Okonkwo, Heathcliff, Brutus, and Merlyn all talking about some things.

However, I have ideas but I don't know how to put them together.

It's quite an ordeal. I wanted it to be on the topic of Might vs Right with Merlyn and Okonkwo and Okonkwo with Heathcliff discussing weakness and love.

zombie4208
zombie4208
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-05-16 04:14:56 Reply

I am going to be posting storys on my news page and I just wanted to advertise a lil'
So please check it out. Comments will be open so don't hate just luves, but no GAY love lol :D

Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Filmmaker
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-05-27 17:53:56 Reply

Hey, just need a quick series plot line. I'm making a game where a guy's family was killed and he's going to go get revenge by doing the same back. (Think the Punisher story)

Anyway, I need a motive or reason why the guys family was targeted in the first place and I don't want it to be an exact copy of The Punisher, so can anyone come up with a few ideas for a motive?

BBS Signature
gumOnShoe
gumOnShoe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-05-27 18:25:23 Reply

If this is a newgrounds game, my god it could be anything. For all you care, they killed his family over a bucket of icecream or a copy of pirated flash.

But if you want something more serious... then the guy obviously needs to do something where he'd have some shady connections. He probably accidentally gets involved in something or sees something happen and they come for him and he's not there, or something else.

If you want to rip off of a book I just read called Daemon (good read btw, this wouldn't be a complete rip off though), then have it be a secret organization he developed technology for, a GPS system that coordinated with a heads up display that was built into a pair of sunglasses. They killed his family trying to get at him, but he had the glasses at the time and was interfaced into their system (which he designed) so he knew they were coming. Basically the system reports on where everyone is, and allows you to draw things in the air to leave messages for other people. There are plenty of game mechanics in that kind of idea. Have a blast. The only way its really a rip off is that the technology exists in the book. In reality, the book is about a computer taking over the world, not an evil sci fi organization.

BBS Signature
Wolf-Raven
Wolf-Raven
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-05-27 18:58:07 Reply

At 5/27/10 05:53 PM, Fro wrote:
Anyway, I need a motive or reason why the guys family was targeted in the first place and I don't want it to be an exact copy of The Punisher, so can anyone come up with a few ideas for a motive?

Mexican Drug Lords. They want everything.

I find the whole Mexican drug war compelling. It has a lesser impact on me than the whole affair in Somalia, but it still carries weight. I have a character who served with the Mexican Army to fight the war. She's American born, but she was sent over as a bomb expert as part of a show of support for the Mexican government. She was honourably discharged, but i haven't been able to think of a good reason... (hint hint, I'd like a little brain storming help please).

I also came across something interesting. We all know about the battle of Thermopylae, but there was another one in 1941 where the Australians had to hold the line against the Nazis so that the British could retreat, and they did it with a nice amount of Badassery. And that's when i thought "Thank god i have an Australian Character who wants to live up to the heroics of his grandfather and the financial success of his father" (he's the son of a CEO of an Australian corporation who goes to the City this story takes place to expand. Hilarity ensues).

Political Science: A haughty soap opera. Philosophy: A cold, mind-fucking bitch.
I love them both

sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-05-27 19:09:56 Reply

Fro: Instead of having the attack on his family be meant for him... have it actually be meant for his family. Perhaps his wife saw something she didn't, or she was attacked in a back alley by the big baddie's son and she killed him in self defense (double revenge story). Perhaps the guy's son is say... 18 or so and starts getting involved in drug trafficking, but takes a few too many steps out of bounds and gets a hit put on his head. You could even involve Wolf-Raven's Mexican Drug lord idea for that one.

Wolf-Raven: Looking for an idea for her to get out of the army? How about a medical discharge? Bomb went off by her and messed her up a little bit. If you don't want to do that, she could have simply served her contract and she's getting out and wanting to move on. Or she's seen so much shit she just wants to live a normal life again. Or, she got a job that offers good pay, benefits... and little danger.

Wolf-Raven
Wolf-Raven
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-05-27 19:12:47 Reply

At 5/27/10 07:09 PM, sinfulwolf wrote:
Wolf-Raven: Looking for an idea for her to get out of the army? How about a medical discharge? Bomb went off by her and messed her up a little bit. If you don't want to do that, she could have simply served her contract and she's getting out and wanting to move on. Or she's seen so much shit she just wants to live a normal life again. Or, she got a job that offers good pay, benefits... and little danger.

Aye. She eventually winds up becoming a Vigilante in Settler's City (Capital V is intended; it's the name of the group). But a Medical discharge doesn't sound half bad...But what would that entail? a really big gas or a full out decapitation?

I love them both

Wolf-Raven
Wolf-Raven
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-05-27 19:18:01 Reply

And by Gas, i mean Gash.

I love them both

sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-05-27 21:08:59 Reply

Well, it could be a) mental problems. or b) physical problems. It's got to a bit more than a gash and considering that to have it qualify for a discharge she probably wouldn't be able to be part of a group called the Vigilantes. From my knowledge, I could be wrong... seeing as I know someone who had their legs blown off in Afghanistan and they got prosthetic and are going back overseas as a helicopter gunner.

Wolf-Raven
Wolf-Raven
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-05-27 21:47:12 Reply

At 5/27/10 09:08 PM, sinfulwolf wrote: Well, it could be a) mental problems. or b) physical problems. It's got to a bit more than a gash and considering that to have it qualify for a discharge she probably wouldn't be able to be part of a group called the Vigilantes. From my knowledge, I could be wrong... seeing as I know someone who had their legs blown off in Afghanistan and they got prosthetic and are going back overseas as a helicopter gunner.

Hrm...i think i might have something...for the purposes of the story, she can't be disabled, as she's still more or less in fighting form.

During a firefight in Chihuahua, My character (Who's name is Elise), while defusing a bomb, found a friend of hers in trouble. He was wounded in the leg in one of the main arteries and was bleeding to death. Elise, who was training to be a medic at the time, hurried over to her friend to try and stop the bleeding. During this, a grenade went off from behind her. As she turned to look at it, a cartel member opened fire and she was shot from behind. Though she was lifted to safety by another comrade, her friend ended up dying in the street. The shot had damaged her kidney so bad that she had to have it removed. That, coupled with the psychological trauma of the death of her friend, allowed her to apply for honourable discharge, as she had made a few friends in the higher levels of command. She would later recover from both the psychological impact and the wounds, though she has no left kidney, and she also has a nasty battle scar.

Realistic? No?

I love them both

sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-05-27 23:19:47 Reply

At 5/27/10 09:47 PM, Wolf-Raven wrote:
Hrm...i think i might have something...for the purposes of the story, she can't be disabled, as she's still more or less in fighting form.

During a firefight in Chihuahua, My character (Who's name is Elise), while defusing a bomb, found a friend of hers in trouble. He was wounded in the leg in one of the main arteries and was bleeding to death. Elise, who was training to be a medic at the time, hurried over to her friend to try and stop the bleeding. During this, a grenade went off from behind her. As she turned to look at it, a cartel member opened fire and she was shot from behind. Though she was lifted to safety by another comrade, her friend ended up dying in the street. The shot had damaged her kidney so bad that she had to have it removed. That, coupled with the psychological trauma of the death of her friend, allowed her to apply for honourable discharge, as she had made a few friends in the higher levels of command. She would later recover from both the psychological impact and the wounds, though she has no left kidney, and she also has a nasty battle scar.

Realistic? No?

Fairly realistic, especially considering that kevlar vests don't do much against bullets, and the plates I wore didn't do much for the abdomen. She'd also have some shrapnel wounds from the grenade, so occasionally in the story (depending how long after the incident your story occurs) you can have her picking out bits of shrapnel from her skin. Mostly shoulders, back of the neck. All very small pieces that wouldn't have killed her and the doctors felt it would be more damaging to take out than to leave in (the body does slowly work shrapnel out of the body. I knew someone who was pulling little black slivers from his scalp like a year later).
Also, it might be interesting to still have her have some of those psychological issues. Sure not as bad as when she got out, but flashbacks and nightmares will still occur.

Wolf-Raven
Wolf-Raven
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-05-27 23:35:38 Reply

At 5/27/10 11:19 PM, sinfulwolf wrote:
Fairly realistic, especially considering that kevlar vests don't do much against bullets, and the plates I wore didn't do much for the abdomen. She'd also have some shrapnel wounds from the grenade, so occasionally in the story (depending how long after the incident your story occurs) you can have her picking out bits of shrapnel from her skin. Mostly shoulders, back of the neck. All very small pieces that wouldn't have killed her and the doctors felt it would be more damaging to take out than to leave in (the body does slowly work shrapnel out of the body. I knew someone who was pulling little black slivers from his scalp like a year later).
Also, it might be interesting to still have her have some of those psychological issues. Sure not as bad as when she got out, but flashbacks and nightmares will still occur.

Really? Kevlar doesn't do anything against bullets? You'd think otherwise, but i guess they're better against low calibre bullets.

I can totally work Shrapnel into it. And the nightmares...well...Wolfgang will definitely have them, so she may too.

Then again, Wolfgang has had more scarring things done to him.

I love them both

sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-05-28 02:42:33 Reply

Kevlar was designed to stop shrapnel.

happy583
happy583
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-05-28 19:29:03 Reply

Hi, I love to write poetry and such, so it'd be cool to post some of my work,
>:D

DarklordMike545
DarklordMike545
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-05-28 19:49:27 Reply

darn if i only knew of this earlier i would of posted my story idea here...SHAZAM *smoke bomb*

Weither you like it or not, it still will be there the next day, and the next day, and the next...

Wolf-Raven
Wolf-Raven
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-05-29 19:21:21 Reply

A minor revalation:

You may try.

You may try as hard as you can.

And hell, you might even succeed

But when inventing sports for your book, it will not be as awesome as quiditch or calvinball.

Just say'n.

I love them both

JustAnotherPunk
JustAnotherPunk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-05-29 20:05:52 Reply

I'm not really good with introductions, so I'll skip all that. Instead, I'll enlighten you all on what I've been doing lately, and what can be expected of me in the future.

I've always loved to read, and I try to make as much time as I can to do so. Until about two weeks ago, though, I hadn't read anything for about two months. So, naturally, I took a little trip to my local Barnes and Nobles to see what I could pick up.

Now, I'm a huge nerd in every sense of the word. And what kind of nerd doesn't enjoy a few table top games? I like to play Warhammer, both 40k and fantasy. To my astonishment, Barnes and Nobles actually carried a few series from the Warhammer 40k universe, and so I bought six or seven books from the Horus Heresy. Orgasmic. I'm reading book 5 at the moment, entitled 'Fulgrim'. I have to say it's probably my favorite series as of yet. The books are very indepth, and include a lot of Greek Mythology references. As I said before, I'm a mega-nerd, so of course I've read tons of Greek Mythology. I highly recommend the books to anyone. ANYONE. The book itself is set in the future, but isn't exactly limited to the genre of Sci-Fi. Plus, a good number of authors write these books and deliver a new one every few months.

Hrm, I get a little too excited about books sometimes. Apologies.

ANYWAY, I like to write poetry. I write, for the lack of a better term, "dark" material. But now and again my immature sense of humor shows itself, and I'll no doubt post some terrible garbage that I myself thought was worth a giggle or two.

Also, I've been a little inspired by the books I've read lately, and I've been writing a little myself. No promises that it'll amount to anything, but I hope it will.

And if you actually took the time to read this whole post, expect a cookie in the mail.
JustAnotherPunk

MiSFiTT
MiSFiTT
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-05-31 21:49:01 Reply

Hello everyone!

I just suggested in a separate thread that the moderators should create a writing forum lounge!

Anyone agree?

BBS Signature
TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-05-31 22:05:42 Reply

At 5/31/10 09:49 PM, MiSFiTT wrote: Hello everyone!

I just suggested in a separate thread that the moderators should create a writing forum lounge!

Anyone agree?

/pat
I see we have a lost one here.

BBS Signature
passionne
passionne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-01 19:29:04 Reply

Hi I am Passionne" . A very old rusty writer.I often wrote as a child and teenager.But life called and I packed my writing skills away.They emerged very dark.So now I am back in the light.I would like to resume my writing.I welcome all tips and constructive criticism I am a big girl I can take it.
I am random.Everything from kids stories to a dance with the devil.Pleased to meet everyone.
I will post on occasion..

Writing Forum Lounge

passionne'

BBS Signature
Wolf-Raven
Wolf-Raven
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-01 19:39:28 Reply

Hello Punk and Passion! Glad to see you all posting, and just remember: Just because the huat-culture people don't like your writing doesn't mean the mindless, teenage fad-zombies won't

=D

I love them both