New Topic Respond to this Topic
Nothins
Nothins
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-14 23:37:59 Reply

how many of you like fast moving storied, or stories that move slow, but are incredably detailed about sight smell touch ect. ect. ?

i like pie ^^

MonkeyV
MonkeyV
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-15 00:14:53 Reply

At 4/14/10 11:37 PM, nothingmater wrote: stories that move slow, but are incredably detailed about sight smell touch ect. ect. ?

I find those very annoying actually (Maybe because nobody ever does it right?). It might work if all of the extra description doesn't feel arbitrary.

BBS Signature
Nothins
Nothins
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-15 00:31:24 Reply

i think i do good at them :o

i like pie ^^

iCurrie
iCurrie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Gamer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-15 00:35:06 Reply

I was wondering, I knew of one a few years ago but haven't been able to remember it since.

What are some writing admission websites? Notable ones. You know, for poetry, stories, etc. Where you just submit them and they get rated and commented, etc. Any ideas? I can't think of any.

If anyone uses Newgrounds as an example, I will gut you.
TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-15 06:50:04 Reply

At 4/15/10 12:35 AM, iCurrie wrote:

What do you want? We have some great reviewers on NG.

Failure should push you until success can pull you.

BBS Signature
Nothins
Nothins
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-15 10:44:47 Reply

well you know, newgrounds does that :p

nah just look in google, for somethign like "writtign submission sites"

i like pie ^^

sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-15 10:49:39 Reply

fanfiction.net for fanfiction, and fictionpress.com for original work. Adultfanfiction.net for original and fanfiction for stories with lots of sex in it.

Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 59
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-15 12:24:50 Reply

At 4/15/10 06:50 AM, TrevorW wrote:

Yeah, but I think what iCurrie refers to is more along the lines of a writing portal, somewhere where you can put your piece up, have a rating and reviews appear for it.

Most places that you find to host your works online will tend to be governed by a group of cliques, which have their own favoured pieces. It is difficult to break past them if you're slightly different.

To add to sinfulwolf's list, I'd say literotica.com for exclusively erotic fiction, but it's just an outlet, as opposed to somewhere where you can put down high quality writing, save for some of thefeedback, which can be helpful.

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey
News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
Abuelodigital17
Abuelodigital17
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Artist
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-15 15:07:23 Reply

At 4/14/10 11:37 PM, nothingmater wrote: how many of you like fast moving storied, or stories that move slow, but are incredably detailed about sight smell touch ect. ect. ?

I prefer stories which have a balanced amount of action and description, and fast paced stories over slow moving ones.

I hear voices... and they don't like you
Take a look, leave a comment and whatnot. | Peer support crew. | MA crew.

BBS Signature
Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 59
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-15 15:23:09 Reply

At 4/15/10 03:07 PM, Abuelodigital17 wrote:
At 4/14/10 11:37 PM, nothingmater wrote: how many of you like fast moving storied, or stories that move slow, but are incredably detailed about sight smell touch ect. ect. ?
I prefer stories which have a balanced amount of action and description, and fast paced stories over slow moving ones.

I used to write in a style like that - perhaps I should revisit it in some way, but we'll see how things pan out. With the next few competitions, I might just have a few bits and pieces like this up my sleeves.

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey
News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
Imperator
Imperator
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-15 15:47:01 Reply

At 4/15/10 12:24 PM, Coop83 wrote:
At 4/15/10 06:50 AM, TrevorW wrote:
Yeah, but I think what iCurrie refers to is more along the lines of a writing portal, somewhere where you can put your piece up, have a rating and reviews appear for it.

I smell Writing Portal......for NG.

Seriously. We have one for audio, art, and flash. The setup would be the same for writing. Just upload files in PDF or something that NG will display, vote, and comment. Writing Forum could be used for general discussion, and discussion on works in more depth than the review system allows.

As is, the writing forum is being used AS IF it was a writing portal, so I really don't see why not.

Would solve a lot of the formatting and special character problems we run across with the bbs as well.

Shit, if I had ANY knowledge of website experience, I'd volunteer to put in the work myself. Copy-paste the flash portal, and put "writing" at the top instead. DONE.

Yes, my web-design knowledge is just that limited.....but it couldn't be that hard to set up, could it?

Writing Forum Reviewer.
PM me
for preferential Writing Forum review treatment.
See my NG page for a regularly updated list of works I will review.

sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-15 15:49:42 Reply

It's in the works Imperator, and has been the source of some overly heated discussion in this very forum. Some might be a bit pissy at it being brought up once again in here, even if you didn't know about those discussions or plans.

As for fast or slow stories... I'd say fast, but not so fast in that I don't know what's going on, or what the place is like. A good balance between action and setting is what I like.

Imperator
Imperator
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-15 16:04:54 Reply

At 4/15/10 03:49 PM, sinfulwolf wrote: It's in the works Imperator, and has been the source of some overly heated discussion in this very forum. Some might be a bit pissy at it being brought up once again in here, even if you didn't know about those discussions or plans.

Ahhhh woops....

As for fast or slow stories... I'd say fast, but not so fast in that I don't know what's going on, or what the place is like. A good balance between action and setting is what I like.

As usual, the most difficult thing to achieve is probably the most aesthetically pleasing.....

The thing I find is that sometimes, when done right, "pace" has little to do with "length". I've read action sequences that were very well put together, highly detailed, but the "pace" of the action was very quick, and it read quite easily.

at the same time, I've read works with high intensity action sequences that were completely mundane and lacking any color at all. I think it's because they believed "action" and "fast" meant "verb, verb, verb, VERB, verb, verb, verb, noun". They threw 25 verbs into 4 sentences, and ended up rushing through the scene.

I like high detail generally. But I like high detail in action sequences almost more than other sequences. "Battle" scenes are my cue here. IMO, a good "battle" scene is fast paced, but very descriptive as well. Some scenes, which in the story take place in 30 seconds or a couple of minutes, go on for an entire chapter, but are quite detailed and real page turners.

5 paragraphs on how a tree sways in the breeze as one walks by, on the other hand.....snore-ville.

So balance and context is really the deciding issue I guess. I prefer more detail when there's more action, less detail when there's less action.

All in all, I find books boring when I get no feel for the situation, and that usually is due to there being so little detail, the plot simply passes from action to action, verb to verb. I've always believed erring on the side of caution would be to give too much detail, rather than too little.

Writing Forum Reviewer.
PM me
for preferential Writing Forum review treatment.
See my NG page for a regularly updated list of works I will review.

sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-15 16:11:23 Reply

At 4/15/10 04:04 PM, Imperator wrote:

As usual, the most difficult thing to achieve is probably the most aesthetically pleasing.....

The thing I find is that sometimes, when done right, "pace" has little to do with "length". I've read action sequences that were very well put together, highly detailed, but the "pace" of the action was very quick, and it read quite easily.

at the same time, I've read works with high intensity action sequences that were completely mundane and lacking any color at all. I think it's because they believed "action" and "fast" meant "verb, verb, verb, VERB, verb, verb, verb, noun". They threw 25 verbs into 4 sentences, and ended up rushing through the scene.

I like high detail generally. But I like high detail in action sequences almost more than other sequences. "Battle" scenes are my cue here. IMO, a good "battle" scene is fast paced, but very descriptive as well. Some scenes, which in the story take place in 30 seconds or a couple of minutes, go on for an entire chapter, but are quite detailed and real page turners.

5 paragraphs on how a tree sways in the breeze as one walks by, on the other hand.....snore-ville.

So balance and context is really the deciding issue I guess. I prefer more detail when there's more action, less detail when there's less action.

All in all, I find books boring when I get no feel for the situation, and that usually is due to there being so little detail, the plot simply passes from action to action, verb to verb. I've always believed erring on the side of caution would be to give too much detail, rather than too little.

Agreed whole heartedly. I've read many things where the actions were simple, and it didn't captivate me very much. Action is not an easy thing to do, and the larger the scale the more difficult it can become to capture the attention and properly show the reader what's happening.

I've tried a few battle sequences, only one of which is available here on Newgrounds (Chapter 2 of my War of the Damned story), and I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it after the fact.

I could go on, should go on about fights themselves, but they are only an aspect of the original question pertaining to fast and slow.

TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-17 00:08:11 Reply

So how is everyone?

BBS Signature
sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-17 01:53:04 Reply

At 4/17/10 12:08 AM, TrevorW wrote: So how is everyone?

Pretty good. How bout you Trevor? How are you?

Wolf-Raven
Wolf-Raven
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-17 12:12:31 Reply

oye. Hello Trevor. I'm *twitch twitch* awesome! the coffee injected directly into my veins is awesome. i always like being direct...or just crazy. EXAMS ARE AWESOME! I wake up screaming, then i fall back to sleep...

actually, all feigned insanity aside, an active imagination leads to a very active subconscious (or so i heard). This leads to a sub-par sleep, as your subconscious is more vigorous. So, that being said, does anyone here have unrestful night?or nights?

Political Science: A haughty soap opera. Philosophy: A cold, mind-fucking bitch.
I love them both
"Manuscripts don't burn"- Mikhail Bulgakov

sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-17 15:12:11 Reply

I have enough of em. Dreams and such.

PinballWizard976
PinballWizard976
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-17 20:24:26 Reply

I have an idea that i'd like to bounce off of you guys if that's cool.

I was driving down interstate 79 today, and i saw a lot of dead animals. (this isn't my writing btw. i really did drive down i-79; went up to edinboro university by lake erie, to look at an open house for an art education degree). But yeah, there was a lot of dead possums and such, i saw a dead deer, countless rats, and a lot of birds that swooped down right in front of my car, and flew back up towards the sky again.

So this is where i got the idea of having a group of animals on one end of a highway, and crossing (or trying to anyways) the road. I want it to be dark in its theme, and almost cruel in its word choice. There would be two 'factions' so to say. the animals and the birds. The birds, as a group, would be the antagonist, whereas the animals/possums would not necessarily be the protaganist, but rather, they would defy the birds. You wouldn't be 'rooting for' one side or the other while reading it, but there will definitely be a conflict between the two.

I'm thinking i want i to be told from the point of view of either a possum or possibly a crow. I'm not sure. I'll experiment in my notebook, see which one works best. Or maybe I'll intoduce a third party. Like a farmer's black shaggy old dog or something. That like, laughs in a crackly old voice or something at the two groups.

So I guess i can post a rough draft in here or on a thread or wherever. I'm pretty excited about it.

TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-17 23:33:33 Reply

At 4/17/10 01:53 AM, sinfulwolf wrote:

Great thanks. Haven't been doing a lot of writing but life is good :)

BBS Signature
munio
munio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-18 07:12:35 Reply

At 4/17/10 08:24 PM, PinballWizard976 wrote:
I'm thinking i want i to be told from the point of view of either a possum or possibly a crow. I'm not sure. I'll experiment in my notebook, see which one works best. Or maybe I'll intoduce a third party. Like a farmer's black shaggy old dog or something. That like, laughs in a crackly old voice or something at the two groups.

So I guess i can post a rough draft in here or on a thread or wherever. I'm pretty excited about it.

if you want a third party you can perhaps go for an flightless bird, such as a penguin or a kiwi
Not sure if it's that original try to push the methaphor out a little

BBS Signature
sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-18 07:48:21 Reply

At 4/17/10 11:33 PM, TrevorW wrote:
At 4/17/10 01:53 AM, sinfulwolf wrote:
Great thanks. Haven't been doing a lot of writing but life is good :)

Life being good is the more important bit. If I'm not writing much, I'm striving to make life good once again, though of course, writing does help me with, excess baggage.

TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-18 18:00:35 Reply

At 4/18/10 07:48 AM, sinfulwolf wrote:

Try new things!

Anyways, guys, make sure to check out the poetry battles! Been a little slow lately.

BBS Signature
Loki
Loki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-28 06:13:49 Reply

I have to re-write a complete chapter of my Novel.

Z
Z
Z

JackCurrie
JackCurrie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-28 07:47:23 Reply

I'm not going to have a huge post, my eyes feel like sultanas right now. In short.

Has anyone in here read Enders Game?

BBS Signature
TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-28 09:30:25 Reply

At 4/28/10 07:47 AM, JackCurrie wrote: I'm not going to have a huge post, my eyes feel like sultanas right now. In short.

Has anyone in here read Enders Game?

Yea it's a great book ;)

BBS Signature
munio
munio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-28 17:06:53 Reply

finally finished my entry for the battles, god it took me such a long time to make and it's still absolutley crap

BBS Signature
Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Filmmaker
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-30 13:07:37 Reply

Hey guys! I need a writer for a game series that I plan on creating this summer and I was wondering if anyone was interested. If you are feel free to post her in this thread, to post in the thread that I'm about to link you to, and/or PM.

The details can be found in this thread here: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1163 669

BBS Signature
munio
munio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-30 14:49:24 Reply

posted,
also it's a national holiday in Holland no it's not pico day (would have been cool though)

BBS Signature
Version2
Version2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-05-01 20:50:49 Reply

At 4/17/10 08:24 PM, PinballWizard976 wrote: I have an idea that i'd like to bounce off of you guys if that's cool.

I was reading your idea, and it made me remember this one night I was waiting for the bus on hwy99, and I saw a dog chase a cat across. I could kind of tell what was about to happen, so I jumped up and shouted at the dog, trying to scare them away from the highway. The dog stopped then ran the other way down the side walk, but the cat just ran out there, it had to been scared for it's life, and no cars stopped, or even touched their brakes, and it got hit.

A guy waiting at the stop for the same bus said something about "stupid cat" but then I started thinking from it's perspective. It had this dog barking, chasing, and most likely trying to eat it from behind, when an angry looking person jumps out in front of it shouting. I realized that, if I had been in the same situation, I probably would have done the same thing: panic, pick a random direction, and run for it. The cat just picked the wrong random direction.

Maybe you can use that. There's not a whole lot darker than forcing characters to choose between two bad choices, ha ha. One of your crows could try to force a opposum to cross by luring a predator or something to their side of the road.