WritersBlock
WritersBlock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Apr. 7th, 2010 @ 11:52 AM Reply

At 4/6/10 11:55 AM, Wolf-Raven wrote:
At 4/5/10 10:59 PM, Nemo wrote: Hey everyone. It's my first time in this forum, but I figured with a B.A. in English I might enjoy talking with people about literature.
Well drink it in, cuz it's the only thing an english major can get you! AHA HA HA HA...says the philosophy major...

If you write, it'll be welcome!

Tell me about it... I'm doing Creative Writing/Literary and Cultural Studies double major. People ask me all the time if it's like journalism. I tell them no. They ask what sort of job I can get. Basically, it means I can write books and cricise stuff. I could potentially fuse the two together and write books about criticising stuff, but I already own enough books about that sort of thing anyway, so that's pretty pointless. When it comes down to it, I've got my goal of getting a novel past the draft stage and into the publication stage, and I guess my degree qualifies me to do that, amongst other things (ie scriptwriting), and on the other side, my degree qualifies me as a critic, well, more than your average youtuber with a camera talking about the latest blockbuster. I'm talking full-blown semiotic analyses, which could indeed place me in a journalistic position to review media such as films, books and music from a cultural/semiotic position. Is there a job market for that level of analysis? Eh, whatever, I've still got two years to work it out.

READ: "A Fear of Great Heights" and other forthcoming adventures right HERE
Signature Picture by: Spartan204

BBS Signature
munio
munio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Apr. 7th, 2010 @ 12:28 PM Reply

heey i'm thinking about writing a short story with a pschyciatric patient as the main character
but, and this is where it gets original, the narrator will be one of the voice the patient hears

Thoughts about this? is it original is it difficult to do? things i should watch out for?

BBS Signature
TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Apr. 8th, 2010 @ 07:08 AM Reply

At 4/7/10 12:28 PM, munio wrote: heey i'm thinking about writing a short story with a pschyciatric patient as the main character
but, and this is where it gets original, the narrator will be one of the voice the patient hears

Thoughts about this? is it original is it difficult to do? things i should watch out for?

I did this a long time ago and set the tone to that of the Catcher and the Rye. I got to lik 1(x) thousand words and couldn't go on. It became a satirical mess...

I would say that this is hard!

Failure should push you until success can pull you.

BBS Signature
X1SephX
X1SephX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Gamer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Apr. 8th, 2010 @ 11:38 AM Reply

At 4/8/10 07:08 AM, TrevorW wrote: I did this a long time ago and set the tone to that of the Catcher and the Rye. I got to lik 1(x) thousand words and couldn't go on. It became a satirical mess...

How is it difficult? Is it the way you go about it in terms of trying to distinguish whose talking.

If you're a HARDCORE FAN prepare to be always disappointed.

sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Apr. 8th, 2010 @ 11:41 PM Reply

At 4/8/10 11:38 AM, X1SephX wrote:
At 4/8/10 07:08 AM, TrevorW wrote: I did this a long time ago and set the tone to that of the Catcher and the Rye. I got to lik 1(x) thousand words and couldn't go on. It became a satirical mess...

How is it difficult? Is it the way you go about it in terms of trying to distinguish whose talking.

Everyone writes a different way, has a different mind set. To one person, writing comedy comes easy. I can't do it for the life of me despite being able to make my friends sitting around me laugh. Different styles, different minds, make for different stories and different challenges.

X1SephX
X1SephX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Gamer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Apr. 8th, 2010 @ 11:54 PM Reply

I know just wondering what I could help with.

PinballWizard976
PinballWizard976
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Apr. 9th, 2010 @ 02:09 AM Reply

At 4/8/10 11:54 PM, X1SephX wrote: I know just wondering what I could help with.

Well, we don't really assign roles or anything like that, but generally it's like an unwritten rule to tell other people what you think of their stuff (just look at any of the topics on the first page), critique it if you want (this is the best thing you can do for a writer), then (or now, there's no list of things to do on here or anything), submit your own work if you're comfortable. Somebody's bound to read it, and then you can improve your writing.

---

but the reason I came in here was to ask if you guys feel like there's too much drama in this forum lately. I know I do. I just sat on my computer for an hour and a half arguing with some guy over the lit portal scazamarade goin' on a few topics down. Then there's all that drama I've had with trevorw, but him and I are cool now, and I think he's a pretty cool guy and stuff.

But anyways, I feel like I've spent way too much time discussing the use of this forum, instead of actually using it (oh the irony). So, maybe everyone should just chill the hell out a bit? Let's just write for gods sake.

Wolf-Raven
Wolf-Raven
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Apr. 9th, 2010 @ 02:16 AM Reply

At 4/9/10 02:09 AM, PinballWizard976 wrote:
But anyways, I feel like I've spent way too much time discussing the use of this forum, instead of actually using it (oh the irony). So, maybe everyone should just chill the hell out a bit? Let's just write for gods sake.

For argument's sake...without Drama, where would we be as story tellers?

Eh? EH?

Political Science: A haughty soap opera. Philosophy: A cold, mind-fucking bitch.
I love them both
"Manuscripts don't burn"- Mikhail Bulgakov

PinballWizard976
PinballWizard976
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Apr. 9th, 2010 @ 02:23 AM Reply

At 4/9/10 02:16 AM, Wolf-Raven wrote:
At 4/9/10 02:09 AM, PinballWizard976 wrote:
For argument's sake...without Drama, where would we be as story tellers?

Eh? EH?

Touché.

But I don't feel like there's anything productive coming out of all this bickering. I just really feel like writing, but I'm probably going to wait till tomorrow since it's 2:30 am on a Thursday and I got school tomorrow

Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 59
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Apr. 9th, 2010 @ 03:33 AM Reply

At 4/9/10 02:16 AM, Wolf-Raven wrote: For argument's sake...without Drama, where would we be as story tellers?

Well, in that case, for argument's sake - what came first, the drama, or the dramatist?

Seriously, drama arose from people telling tales of what had happened that they had seen to embellishing the story to making it sound better, to completely making up the story for the best dramatic effect.

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey
News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Apr. 9th, 2010 @ 07:22 AM Reply

I believe that when a group of people, such as us, are confined to the limits of a small forum for long periods of time there are bound to be some bouts of drama. Conflict is human nature, even if minimal in desire to some. Besides is an argument bad if the sides are logical?

BBS Signature
munio
munio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Apr. 9th, 2010 @ 11:39 AM Reply

At 4/9/10 07:22 AM, TrevorW wrote: I believe that when a group of people, such as us, are confined to the limits of a small forum for long periods of time there are bound to be some bouts of drama. Conflict is human nature, even if minimal in desire to some. Besides is an argument bad if the sides are logical?

do you suggest that this forum is to small, to limiting, and that drama is an inevitable consequence of this confinding format?

BBS Signature
Wolf-Raven
Wolf-Raven
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Apr. 9th, 2010 @ 11:44 AM Reply

At 4/9/10 07:22 AM, TrevorW wrote: I believe that when a group of people, such as us, are confined to the limits of a small forum for long periods of time there are bound to be some bouts of drama. Conflict is human nature, even if minimal in desire to some. Besides is an argument bad if the sides are logical?

I agree. If you coup up someone in a house, no matter how large, they'll get a bit edgy, and that's the point i feel we might be. We can get on the newgrounds stage to tell some stories that actually had TIME to think of plot, characters, theme and conflict!

Also, i heard a quote that said: The opposite of a true statement is a false statement. the opposite of a profound truth could indeed be another profound truth.

And Coop, I'm thinking they're one in the same. i could go all philosophy on, over and in it, but it's 11:30, and i'm lacking in coffee.

But we have a good group here. I haven't seen anything overly immature since i came here. then again, i don't think NG forums have that high of a bar for maturity, so calling someone an ass for lambasting their story earns you utils.

Political Science: A haughty soap opera. Philosophy: A cold, mind-fucking bitch.
I love them both

TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Apr. 9th, 2010 @ 10:47 PM Reply

At 4/9/10 11:39 AM, munio wrote:
do you suggest that this forum is to small, to limiting, and that drama is an inevitable consequence of this confinding format?

Forum as in a place to present ideas, not necessarily a BBS forum. If you want less conflict then find a large forum that you can simply get lost in...like general.

BBS Signature
Ass-Crumb
Ass-Crumb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Apr. 10th, 2010 @ 01:54 AM Reply

Hey guys since I'm kind of a whore I'd like to advertise the NG writer's tournament I'm organizing and it'd be pretty rad if all you guys like signed up for that.

Good Threads: 1 2 3 4 5
I can't see shit

BBS Signature
X1SephX
X1SephX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Gamer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Apr. 10th, 2010 @ 03:08 AM Reply

At 4/10/10 01:54 AM, Ass-Crumb wrote: Hey guys since I'm kind of a whore I'd like to advertise the NG writer's tournament I'm organizing and it'd be pretty rad if all you guys like signed up for that.

Np, "pretty rad" eh ;P.
:Forum as in a place to present ideas, not necessarily a BBS forum. If you want less conflict then find a large forum that you can simply get lost in...like general.

and i agree with Trevor.

Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 59
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Apr. 11th, 2010 @ 04:24 AM Reply

At 4/9/10 11:44 AM, Wolf-Raven wrote: And Coop, I'm thinking they're one in the same. i could go all philosophy on, over and in it, but it's 11:30, and i'm lacking in coffee.

What am I, the district philosopher? I just analysed one statement and answered it to the best of my abilities.

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey
News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Apr. 11th, 2010 @ 01:50 PM Reply

At 4/11/10 04:24 AM, Coop83 wrote:
At 4/9/10 11:44 AM, Wolf-Raven wrote: And Coop, I'm thinking they're one in the same. i could go all philosophy on, over and in it, but it's 11:30, and i'm lacking in coffee.
What am I, the district philosopher? I just analysed one statement and answered it to the best of my abilities.

Stop it! You are the local philosopher, accept it.

BBS Signature
munio
munio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Apr. 11th, 2010 @ 04:20 PM Reply

At 4/11/10 01:50 PM, TrevorW wrote:
At 4/11/10 04:24 AM, Coop83 wrote:
Stop it! You are the local philosopher, accept it.

i thought he was the village idiot? but local philosophere is about the same thing right?

BBS Signature
Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Apr. 11th, 2010 @ 04:46 PM Reply

Don't want to be a whore or anything but i'd appreciate it

If you'd check this out

iCurrie
iCurrie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Gamer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Apr. 12th, 2010 @ 03:17 AM Reply

Do you know what I would like to see more of in this entire forum; Writing Games.

You know, where you continue the story one post at a time. Ahhh :)

TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Apr. 12th, 2010 @ 06:47 AM Reply

At 4/12/10 03:17 AM, iCurrie wrote: Do you know what I would like to see more of in this entire forum; Writing Games.

You know, where you continue the story one post at a time. Ahhh :)

There are usually a few but too many of them and you have a mess. I don't know. We have seemed to shy away from them.

BBS Signature
Wolf-Raven
Wolf-Raven
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Apr. 12th, 2010 @ 04:36 PM Reply

No offence to any writer here, but they seem to start to degrade... I mean, it takes care to come out with something good, but when you start formatting it like a roleplay, that talent gets a bit lost.

I should know, it happened to me quite a bit back in the day.

I love them both

X1SephX
X1SephX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Gamer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Apr. 12th, 2010 @ 06:37 PM Reply

At 4/12/10 04:36 PM, Wolf-Raven wrote: No offence to any writer here, but they seem to start to degrade... I mean, it takes care to come out with something good, but when you start formatting it like a roleplay, that talent gets a bit lost.

I should know, it happened to me quite a bit back in the day.

Don't forget to mention that it isn't yours anymore either.

sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Apr. 12th, 2010 @ 10:00 PM Reply

Indeed, there is a massive clash of styles, ideas, and atmosphere. It changes drastically with each and every post.

iCurrie
iCurrie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Gamer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Apr. 12th, 2010 @ 10:06 PM Reply

At 4/12/10 10:00 PM, sinfulwolf wrote: Indeed, there is a massive clash of styles, ideas, and atmosphere. It changes drastically with each and every post.

I can see where your coming from, but to a degree, is that such a bad thing? I mean, writing is art. And art shouldn't have to be conventional rubbish all the time. No harm in going a little crazy, especially only on Newgrounds. Obviously nobody wants that happening with an individual story, but with a quick 'put-together' there isn't much harm done.

sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Apr. 13th, 2010 @ 10:23 AM Reply

At 4/12/10 10:06 PM, iCurrie wrote:
At 4/12/10 10:00 PM, sinfulwolf wrote: Indeed, there is a massive clash of styles, ideas, and atmosphere. It changes drastically with each and every post.
I can see where your coming from, but to a degree, is that such a bad thing? I mean, writing is art. And art shouldn't have to be conventional rubbish all the time. No harm in going a little crazy, especially only on Newgrounds. Obviously nobody wants that happening with an individual story, but with a quick 'put-together' there isn't much harm done.

I never did say it was a bad thing, but it can be frustrating to any one writer. You get an idea that you think would be awesome and start to guide the story down that path, but the very next paragraph tears that away from you, and turn the story into something you don't really want to be a part of. This doesn't happen all the time mind you. It's just a possibility, and fairly common I would think.

You are right though that a quick put together doesn't cause much harm, but a great deal of folk here have a lot of pride in their writing, and have many projects they are working on, and don't always like to see their work, even if only a few paragraphs, taken down a road they don't wish to travel.

Again, I'm not saying their a bad thing, just pointing out some reasons why they aren't as popular.

iCurrie
iCurrie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Gamer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Apr. 13th, 2010 @ 01:03 PM Reply

At 4/13/10 10:23 AM, sinfulwolf wrote: Again, I'm not saying their a bad thing, just pointing out some reasons why they aren't as popular.

I see where your coming from with this too. And I know you weren't saying it was a bad thing, I just used it as an expression more than a literal term. But if people just played along for interest, in reading people different styles, what ideas different minds come up with, etc, its better. Not so much because they want a great story worth publishing, but because its different, and interesting to see minds, ideas, and styles clashing.

And its not all that hard to partake. Most don't need to spend 20 minutes perfecting their portion, they can always drop in with a quick 'He walked down the narrow halfway, dimly lit by fluorescent lights' or something like that, made longer of coarse. Just make it sound, slightly creative, and your set. But yeah, I get your point. Just wouldn't mind seeing at least one really, take off.

On another note, I wish people in this forum would start adapting the whole 'Art Forum' style for putting their writing on. I mean, its neater, smarter, more efficient, and easily managed. Most people should know what I mean, and I know this forum is new and has room to grow. But it would be good to see, I think.

It makes commenting on writing so much easier for me. And makes certain writers more recognizable. Is this a good thing to adapt, in your opinion?

MonkeyV
MonkeyV
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Apr. 14th, 2010 @ 10:14 PM Reply

Hey guys.
What would you think of a story featuring a guy who wakes up every morning, remembering the world to be very different than how it actually is? This guy will be aware that he is simply having memory problems, and not that everything is actually changing around him.

For example, and this is meant to be funny even though the story will not necessarily be:

"Woke up this morning, and all the stop signs were octagonal. It will take me a while to get used to them not being circles anymore."

Also the story won't be as blunt.
It will be told, obviously, in the past tense, so the reader will get to experience the changes along with him. For example, he could wake up one day to find that the dog which he remembers having owned and loved his whole life never actually existed.

Just a thought (Well not really. I've already started writing it), but what are your opinions? Also are there already any stories you know of that use this idea?

BBS Signature
megakill
megakill
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Apr. 14th, 2010 @ 10:23 PM Reply

At 4/14/10 10:14 PM, MonkeyV wrote: Hey guys.
What would you think of a story featuring a guy who wakes up every morning, remembering the world to be very different than how it actually is? This guy will be aware that he is simply having memory problems, and not that everything is actually changing around him.

I think this is a pretty good idea, and personally, I think you could twist it into a really good dramatic piece, illustrating how slowly all the things and people has loved and cared about are slowly being taken away from him. Think of how that could seriously twist a man, and the ways you could develop it! Damn I wish I had this idea. But, I'm all doom and gloom in my writing, whereas I think you said you could make it a comedy piece. I think that would work well too, although personally I don't know how you could go about writing it.

Anyway, I like the idea, and I'm definitely going to give it a read!