New Topic Respond to this Topic
Tateos
Tateos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Artist
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-04 20:54:07 Reply

At 4/4/10 08:16 PM, SCTE3 wrote: I have written stories in a while or worked on my novel, wow is that harsh for myself. Not really got writer's block, I just haven't gotten around to writing anything new recently.

Haha, you got the 1337 post.

thuh-ohm-ass

BBS Signature
zartarix
zartarix
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-04 21:06:06 Reply

Hello, I am new to the forum. I'm working on a series of novels of which the first edit of the first book is completed. I focus on Science Fiction and Fantasy works greatly enjoying a fusion of both. I am actually looking for a place to share some of my work so I might start here.

Wolf-Raven
Wolf-Raven
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-04 23:18:29 Reply

At 4/4/10 09:06 PM, zartarix wrote: Hello, I am new to the forum. I'm working on a series of novels of which the first edit of the first book is completed. I focus on Science Fiction and Fantasy works greatly enjoying a fusion of both. I am actually looking for a place to share some of my work so I might start here.

A first edit of your first book? That's awesome comrade! I can't get my first edit out! Given, it's 400 pages of stuff i wrote when i was 16, but still...well, a good chunk of when i was 18, but still.

So, new question from me: Do you think that there's such a thing as too much writing of different stories? Like, if you keep making story universes, do you kind of loose their originality?

Also, don't feed TrevorW. He grows fangs overnight.

Political Science: A haughty soap opera. Philosophy: A cold, mind-fucking bitch.
I love them both
"Manuscripts don't burn"- Mikhail Bulgakov

X1SephX
X1SephX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 45
Gamer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-04 23:34:20 Reply

At 4/4/10 11:18 PM, Wolf-Raven wrote:
So, new question from me: Do you think that there's such a thing as too much writing of different stories? Like, if you keep making story universes, do you kind of loose their originality?

Also, don't feed TrevorW. He grows fangs overnight.

It is possible but doesn't mean its inevitable.

If you're a HARDCORE FAN prepare to be always disappointed.

TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-05 00:21:44 Reply

A good writer can make you endlessly believe that you are reading something completely original. Though a great writer writes something completely original and then stops.

I do not have fangs! I sparkle though :)

Failure should push you until success can pull you.

BBS Signature
Wolf-Raven
Wolf-Raven
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-05 00:34:33 Reply

At 4/5/10 12:21 AM, TrevorW wrote: A good writer can make you endlessly believe that you are reading something completely original. Though a great writer writes something completely original and then stops.

I do not have fangs! I sparkle though :)

Option 2 is definitely how i want to do things. I have 3 or 4 universes of stories and i like it that way.

Political Science: A haughty soap opera. Philosophy: A cold, mind-fucking bitch.
I love them both

TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-05 00:44:27 Reply

At 4/5/10 12:34 AM, Wolf-Raven wrote:
Option 2 is definitely how i want to do things. I have 3 or 4 universes of stories and i like it that way.

As long as it isn't a vampire world, sounds good to me.

BBS Signature
Wolf-Raven
Wolf-Raven
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-05 01:27:02 Reply

At 4/5/10 12:44 AM, TrevorW wrote:

hrm...lets see...no...most likely no...shouldn't be...and maybe wannabes in the club in the first chapter.

Believe me, the way i avoid stereotypes is to identify then mutilate. it gets to the point where i can't even remember what the stereotype was.

Hell, i don't even have Elves in the Fantasy novel! POINT FOR WOLF-RAVEN!

I love them both

WritersBlock
WritersBlock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-05 08:34:43 Reply

At 4/5/10 01:27 AM, Wolf-Raven wrote:
hrm...lets see...no...most likely no...shouldn't be...and maybe wannabes in the club in the first chapter.

Believe me, the way i avoid stereotypes is to identify then mutilate. it gets to the point where i can't even remember what the stereotype was.

Got to be careful though, your so-called "mutilations" could be pinpointed as a source of the problem with teen vampire-romance novels. Not exactly mutilating beyond recognition, but reappropriating stereotypes to a different genre or style to appear as if renewed. I remember before becoming aware of the whole Twilight craze I had finished a vampire story of my own shortly beforehand, and one of the noteworthy featores of it, I would say, was how it took on a more original image of the vampire. But I think you'll only run into problems if you repackage your mutilated stereotypes as ones specifically designed for the mass market.

I'm certainly hesitant to jump on any sort of fad or band wagon, as tempted as I've been to try my hand at steampunk, although on the other hand, it's unwise to write books for which there is no target consumer. I've certainly had a closer look at literary fiction and the realist narrative lately, and there's certainly a style there that appeals to me, primarily as a literary form that garners respect from a critical viewpoint. Certainly, there will always be bitterness for those who succeed, seemingly more from luck than from talent, tall poppy syndrome, I think it's called.

READ: "A Fear of Great Heights" and other forthcoming adventures right HERE
Signature Picture by: Spartan204

BBS Signature
munio
munio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-05 08:48:42 Reply

yes but we should not forget that their are diffrences between writing to sell and writing to write
if you don't wanna try to earn as much money as you can you can do whatever you want with the limitation that it has to be sellable

BBS Signature
sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-05 09:19:10 Reply

Hey... I'm writing a vampire story... phooey.

At 4/5/10 01:27 AM, Wolf-Raven wrote:

I've always wanted to see Elves like they were back in original folklore. Tiny little fey like folk who ran about causing mischief and such. That would almost be seen as original in this post-Tolkien world

Wolf-Raven
Wolf-Raven
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-05 12:19:29 Reply

At 4/5/10 09:19 AM, sinfulwolf wrote:
I've always wanted to see Elves like they were back in original folklore. Tiny little fey like folk who ran about causing mischief and such. That would almost be seen as original in this post-Tolkien world

I kinda have that, and i call them scrailings (It's what the vikings called the Beothuk when they arrived in Newfoundland).

When i mean by mutilating beyond recognition, i mean just that. Eventually you fall so far away from the stereotype in things that you want to change that it doesn't really become a stereotype at all. It becomes, believe it or not, your idea.

Of course, you can't escape from all cliches because that's how we thinking, and as a species, we aren't that original. I can probably point out ten different stereotypes in any one of my novels, but sometimes you should let it as is for the simple reason of you want your characters to sound believable, and at times they may throw out a stereotype.

Gauge it how it happens.

I love them both

sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-05 13:03:59 Reply

At 4/5/10 12:19 PM, Wolf-Raven wrote:
At 4/5/10 09:19 AM, sinfulwolf wrote:
I kinda have that, and i call them scrailings (It's what the vikings called the Beothuk when they arrived in Newfoundland).

Nordic mythology is always something interesting to dabble in. It isn't too common so readers should be intrigued by things they've seen before with the twist of another culture's views on it.

NekoMika
NekoMika
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Musician
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-05 17:38:53 Reply

At 4/4/10 08:54 PM, Tateos wrote:
At 4/4/10 08:16 PM, SCTE3 wrote: I have written stories in a while or worked on my novel, wow is that harsh for myself. Not really got writer's block, I just haven't gotten around to writing anything new recently.
Haha, you got the 1337 post.

Didn't notice, heh. Anywho, writing a couple of short stories this afternoon I guess.

Request Reviews // #8 Reviewer // #2 Audio Reviewer
Audio / Review Moderator - PM with problems or questions

BBS Signature
sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-05 18:17:20 Reply

At 4/5/10 05:38 PM, FBIpolux wrote: I'm sorry I haven't updated the NG story recently... But I really haven't had time.

Sorry.

Take yer time and post quality material, rather than hastily slapped together crap. I'm sure others will agree.

Nemo
Nemo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Game Developer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-05 22:59:38 Reply

Hey everyone. It's my first time in this forum, but I figured with a B.A. in English I might enjoy talking with people about literature.

BBS Signature
sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-06 10:48:48 Reply

At 4/5/10 10:59 PM, Nemo wrote: Hey everyone. It's my first time in this forum, but I figured with a B.A. in English I might enjoy talking with people about literature.

Well welcome to this particular portion of the Newgrounds Forums. Take a peak about, look into other folk's writing and such. Hopefully find something you like.

Wolf-Raven
Wolf-Raven
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-06 11:55:53 Reply

At 4/5/10 10:59 PM, Nemo wrote: Hey everyone. It's my first time in this forum, but I figured with a B.A. in English I might enjoy talking with people about literature.

Well drink it in, cuz it's the only thing an english major can get you! AHA HA HA HA...says the philosophy major...

If you write, it'll be welcome!

I love them both

Dubbi
Dubbi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-06 12:51:09 Reply

In a few minutes, I'll start my Pico story for the contest. I forget about it and it's gettting down to the wire...

I'd rather learn from one bird how to sing
Than teach 10,000 stars how not to dance.
-- ee cummings

BBS Signature
aviewaskewed
aviewaskewed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-06 20:12:45 Reply

Hey guys, just popping my head in to let you know I'm still lurking around.

Also should you ever run across any problems you think a mod should look at feel free to shoot me a PM. I may not always be able to respond promptly (I work afternoons and evenings, I sleep through the morning usually) but I am around later evening late into the night and I do check on all my PM's. Just don't want anyone thinking there's nobody around to watch out for this section.

You don't have to pass an IQ test to be in the senate. --Mark Pryor, Senator
The Endless Crew: Comics and general wackiness. Join us or die.
PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature
sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-07 11:12:35 Reply

At 4/6/10 08:12 PM, aviewaskewed wrote: Hey guys, just popping my head in to let you know I'm still lurking around.

Also should you ever run across any problems you think a mod should look at feel free to shoot me a PM. I may not always be able to respond promptly (I work afternoons and evenings, I sleep through the morning usually) but I am around later evening late into the night and I do check on all my PM's. Just don't want anyone thinking there's nobody around to watch out for this section.

Always good to know. I find comfort in authority figures being present. Much like an active police force or military.

rubber-dum-dum
rubber-dum-dum
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-07 11:18:51 Reply

At 4/7/10 11:12 AM, sinfulwolf wrote: Always good to know. I find comfort in authority figures being present. Much like an active police force or military.

if he is our police force, does that mean he is the good cop, or the bad cop?

A little story I'm trying to write, named Two Halves
"jumping off a cliff only hurts if you forget how to fly" -Taj Mahal Badalandabad

WritersBlock
WritersBlock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-07 11:52:14 Reply

At 4/6/10 11:55 AM, Wolf-Raven wrote:
Well drink it in, cuz it's the only thing an english major can get you! AHA HA HA HA...says the philosophy major...

If you write, it'll be welcome!

Tell me about it... I'm doing Creative Writing/Literary and Cultural Studies double major. People ask me all the time if it's like journalism. I tell them no. They ask what sort of job I can get. Basically, it means I can write books and cricise stuff. I could potentially fuse the two together and write books about criticising stuff, but I already own enough books about that sort of thing anyway, so that's pretty pointless. When it comes down to it, I've got my goal of getting a novel past the draft stage and into the publication stage, and I guess my degree qualifies me to do that, amongst other things (ie scriptwriting), and on the other side, my degree qualifies me as a critic, well, more than your average youtuber with a camera talking about the latest blockbuster. I'm talking full-blown semiotic analyses, which could indeed place me in a journalistic position to review media such as films, books and music from a cultural/semiotic position. Is there a job market for that level of analysis? Eh, whatever, I've still got two years to work it out.

READ: "A Fear of Great Heights" and other forthcoming adventures right HERE
Signature Picture by: Spartan204

BBS Signature
munio
munio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-07 12:28:44 Reply

heey i'm thinking about writing a short story with a pschyciatric patient as the main character
but, and this is where it gets original, the narrator will be one of the voice the patient hears

Thoughts about this? is it original is it difficult to do? things i should watch out for?

BBS Signature
TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-08 07:08:20 Reply

At 4/7/10 12:28 PM, munio wrote: heey i'm thinking about writing a short story with a pschyciatric patient as the main character
but, and this is where it gets original, the narrator will be one of the voice the patient hears

Thoughts about this? is it original is it difficult to do? things i should watch out for?

I did this a long time ago and set the tone to that of the Catcher and the Rye. I got to lik 1(x) thousand words and couldn't go on. It became a satirical mess...

I would say that this is hard!

BBS Signature
X1SephX
X1SephX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 45
Gamer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-08 11:38:09 Reply

At 4/8/10 07:08 AM, TrevorW wrote: I did this a long time ago and set the tone to that of the Catcher and the Rye. I got to lik 1(x) thousand words and couldn't go on. It became a satirical mess...

How is it difficult? Is it the way you go about it in terms of trying to distinguish whose talking.

sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-08 23:41:51 Reply

At 4/8/10 11:38 AM, X1SephX wrote:
At 4/8/10 07:08 AM, TrevorW wrote: I did this a long time ago and set the tone to that of the Catcher and the Rye. I got to lik 1(x) thousand words and couldn't go on. It became a satirical mess...

How is it difficult? Is it the way you go about it in terms of trying to distinguish whose talking.

Everyone writes a different way, has a different mind set. To one person, writing comedy comes easy. I can't do it for the life of me despite being able to make my friends sitting around me laugh. Different styles, different minds, make for different stories and different challenges.

X1SephX
X1SephX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 45
Gamer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-08 23:54:40 Reply

I know just wondering what I could help with.

PinballWizard976
PinballWizard976
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-09 02:09:49 Reply

At 4/8/10 11:54 PM, X1SephX wrote: I know just wondering what I could help with.

Well, we don't really assign roles or anything like that, but generally it's like an unwritten rule to tell other people what you think of their stuff (just look at any of the topics on the first page), critique it if you want (this is the best thing you can do for a writer), then (or now, there's no list of things to do on here or anything), submit your own work if you're comfortable. Somebody's bound to read it, and then you can improve your writing.

---

but the reason I came in here was to ask if you guys feel like there's too much drama in this forum lately. I know I do. I just sat on my computer for an hour and a half arguing with some guy over the lit portal scazamarade goin' on a few topics down. Then there's all that drama I've had with trevorw, but him and I are cool now, and I think he's a pretty cool guy and stuff.

But anyways, I feel like I've spent way too much time discussing the use of this forum, instead of actually using it (oh the irony). So, maybe everyone should just chill the hell out a bit? Let's just write for gods sake.

Wolf-Raven
Wolf-Raven
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-09 02:16:22 Reply

At 4/9/10 02:09 AM, PinballWizard976 wrote:
But anyways, I feel like I've spent way too much time discussing the use of this forum, instead of actually using it (oh the irony). So, maybe everyone should just chill the hell out a bit? Let's just write for gods sake.

For argument's sake...without Drama, where would we be as story tellers?

Eh? EH?

I love them both