00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Zachattack92 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Writing Forum Lounge

186,262 Views | 2,353 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-27 00:16:20

At 1/27/10 12:11 AM, Gagsy wrote: Goodness me, anyone else a little surprised at how quickly this new forum is moving so far? I didn't think there would be THIS much interest in the subject of writing. Don't get me wrong it is great, I just hope it all calms down a bit and we gain a sense of normality here.

Same thing happened with the Art forum. Give it a week and people will get used to it.

:U

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-27 00:16:30

I don't have a problem with writing in general, but I figured I should share this with you all...

POETRY RUINED MY LIFE.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-27 00:17:08

At 1/27/10 12:16 AM, flipboi117 wrote: I don't have a problem with writing in general, but I figured I should share this with you all...

POETRY RUINED MY LIFE.

Poetry made my life complete.

Failure should push you until success can pull you.

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-27 00:52:49

At 1/27/10 12:17 AM, TrevorW wrote:
At 1/27/10 12:16 AM, flipboi117 wrote: I don't have a problem with writing in general, but I figured I should share this with you all...

POETRY RUINED MY LIFE.
Poetry made my life complete.

I REALLY don't like poetry.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-27 00:58:37

POETRY RUINED MY LIFE.

OOH OOH! Tel us how it ruined your life! THAT would be a good story!

Need a Review? Go to Review Request Club

Also please look at my art!

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-27 01:29:13

Hello all, my name is The-Great-One. I've been writing for 15 years now.

I have written one novella and am in the midst of writing my novel entitled "Vokstein." I hope to be able to share some of my short stories here on Newgrounds and have an animator animate them.

Writing has influenced me because you can create a story, an epic quest or adventure, something out of the plain blue sky and give it an image in people's minds. I've always tried to write as if I were writing a movie or a video game, because those are two forms in which people enjoy seeing.

One of my short stories entitled "Nightmare" was actually animated into flash here on Newgrounds...

Other than that I hope to post my works here and have them critiqued.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-27 01:58:26

I waited around for four years for a forum like this to be released here on Newgrounds, holding onto that eternal thread as if it were my last, until finally giving up any reasonable expectation for success, and letting the bitter palimpsests of my displeasure fester and curl themselves into an exasperation which has thus bubbled forth, to counter the ridiculous nature of the developments which face us now. Expectations are no more nor less than the direction in which our lives point, compass-like; anywhere, we hope, but north to the frozen pole where particles cease to rock in their subatomic cradles. But magnetism's sway is not to be diverted, nor to be foiled, by the whimsy of men, and so it is that we are led in a black line, snaking across the snow drifts as we march northward by the pointing of that grinning mechanical charlatan, and the phony star whose light glints off its handworn bronze and knows and likes the fact that it can deceive.

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-27 05:00:50

At 1/27/10 12:52 AM, MAQcreations wrote: I REALLY don't like poetry.

It's ok to not like poetry, but I think it's rather quite important to at least have an appreciation of poetry. Poems and those who write them have had a significant influence on the written world that should not be ignored.

I'll come clean and admit that I'm not much of a writer (I'm not creative enough, really), but I do enjoy editing for some odd reason. I was an editor on my first college's newspaper and get an occasional plea from a friend to proof-read papers.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-27 07:09:17

Hey! I've been looking forward to the launch portal for a long-ass time. My Dad, John William Galt, has been writing for years, but only published with one author (who screwed him over...the book is "What Price Paradise?" ...which incidentally is a stupid title; originally my Dad called it "Into Invisible Light." It's about time travel.)

Although drawing is my strength and primary focus at college right now, I write a lot in my spare time. Here on NG, that's evident from my reviews and news blogs. Before NG, it was Myspace blogs. Before then, essays and short stories.

I had stood out even in 1st grade when we were asked to write a story to present in class. While most of the students pretty much ripped from the teacher, ("One day my toys came to life and we played together, the end.") I wrote a structured, twenty page long story about the Grey family and they're living in a haunted house in danger from a tornado (using imagery, "...the wind howled and ran zig zag down the street..." My Dad's a voice actor too, so I was the only one who attempted dramatic reading. lol) Until the family ghost, who was normally a scary entity, saved the family from the tornado. From then on his spirit was cherished and loved by the family instead of feared. I had titled it, "The Grey's Ghost."

According to my Dad, this could steep me into a literary future, but I guess time will tell. I'd love to get involved with the NG Lit Community and build on what skills I have, and see if I can't help others.

-Formerly known as Phobotech-

Voice Actor / Pre-Production Animator / Illustrator / T-Shirt Designer / Author

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-27 09:00:50

At 1/26/10 09:51 PM, VhsTapeclock wrote: Goodbye, unnoticed journal posts!

Hear hear!! The only way my news posts tend to get noticed is via PMs and linking in the EGB and other threads.

Sig by Byte | Steam ID -- SilentCobra | PS3 Gamer Tag -- SlntCobra1

Writers Lounge | EGB | PS3

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-27 10:34:35

So I've been bandying around a little idea in my head for a while now (Plenty of space there, ho ho!) and what would you guys think of a Journalistic thread, where people can write reports, interviews and columns that might grab some attention.

I was thinking about this, as it's a very different writing style, especially if you're trying to remain impartial (report) or want to take one side (politics, sport, etc)

What would you guys think?

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-27 11:01:16

At 1/27/10 10:34 AM, Coop83 wrote: So I've been bandying around a little idea in my head for a while now (Plenty of space there, ho ho!) and what would you guys think of a Journalistic thread, where people can write reports, interviews and columns that might grab some attention.

I was thinking about this, as it's a very different writing style, especially if you're trying to remain impartial (report) or want to take one side (politics, sport, etc)

I'd be in favor of this. It would be a good way for any potential journalists to get some much needed critique, and we all get to keep up to date with the news.
To me, Journalism isn't much of a creative style. I see it as more of a craft, or a practise, and so it would bring more diversity to the forum, and offer people the chance to explore their horizons.
The idea of writting interviews especially appeals to me. I wouldn't be so interested in conducting one myself, but interviews about certain forum members, or authors, and of course, staff and artists would certainly entertain me.

Anyway, in answer to your question: I think this is a good idea.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-27 11:04:15

Some good ideas coming through here. Personally, I think it'd be cool to get up a little, frequent flash fiction challenge thing, just something to do to keep your fingers fresh. Maybe a weekly competition like what the art guys do with the creature of the week, maybe a weekly write-off, 200-500 words, or something like that, maybe have a week of competition followed by a week of "judging" whereby the general writing community can vote on favourites. No prizes, of course, a just for kicks sort of thing.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

READ: "A Fear of Great Heights" and other forthcoming adventures right HERE

Signature Picture by: Spartan204

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-27 11:10:32

At 1/27/10 11:04 AM, WritersBlock wrote: Some good ideas coming through here. Personally, I think it'd be cool to get up a little, frequent flash fiction challenge thing, just something to do to keep your fingers fresh. Maybe a weekly competition like what the art guys do with the creature of the week, maybe a weekly write-off, 200-500 words, or something like that, maybe have a week of competition followed by a week of "judging" whereby the general writing community can vote on favourites. No prizes, of course, a just for kicks sort of thing.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Sounds good to me, you may need to include themes for each week though. Some people are going to have very diverse writting styles, which could make it difficult to judge, especially if everyone is writting about completely different aspects. Also it would force people to write about things other than what they are used to, so it would expand their skills, as well as be enjoyable.

Just a thought.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-27 12:26:44

At 1/27/10 01:29 AM, The-Great-One wrote: One of my short stories entitled "Nightmare" was actually animated into flash here on Newgrounds...
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/50 4669

I'll add to this that seeing this Flash some time ago made me more optimistic about the future of writing/Flash collabs here on NG.

At 1/27/10 05:53 AM, Zendra wrote: Would it be a good idea to have a "Request a Script"-topic?

I think it might be eventually, especially if we find ourselves with groups of scriptwriters who are up for a bit of action. It sounds a bit McDonald'sesque, but it might very well benefit both the writers and the Flash artists.

This might be something that could be trial'd at some point maybe?

At 1/27/10 06:38 AM, gumOnShoe wrote: Anyways, I've been playing with a more satirical form of language for a first person narrative I've been working on. The person gets very detached from his setting and starts focusing on a lot of the details that would normally be normal, but by playing them up I'm bringing their existence into question and characterizing everything.

That sounds very American Psycho, and that's not a bad thing. In fact, it's one of the funnier things about the book. Good luck with developing that further. As someone who's had an eye on satire for some time as a past time, as reactions to reactions predominantly, I'd be interested in reading that should you get it published.

While I'm not one to extensive link directly to Wikipedia many times at once, I tend to look back on the basic definitions they have there for Horatian vs. Juvenalian satire. I could talk for some time about satire - possibly not right now because I've just got in, but I think it's something that could be discussed on its own in the future.

At 1/27/10 10:34 AM, Coop83 wrote: So I've been bandying around a little idea in my head for a while now (Plenty of space there, ho ho!) and what would you guys think of a Journalistic thread, where people can write reports, interviews and columns that might grab some attention.

I too think it's a decent idea, especially if Tom wants to have some interviewer base like gum said. I think creative non-fiction is something I'd like to build skills on - though this isn't journalism per se, it's in a similar ballpark, so they can feed into each other in a way. At the end of the day, there's still something being created in both sub-fields. Finding a line between journalism and blog-standard (I'm not really insulting bloggers, I just thought it was a humourous piece of word play) might be tricky. An antidote to that would be a familiar one: have people read what's there and let them decide.

I think that for the sake of NG, what defines a blog post would remain 'today at school...' and related stuff. Anything else, if it's creative, could be worthwhile getting some development on I think, yes.

Avatar wasn't too bad. The 3d was fantastic, and even though I'm not huge guy for 3d and other 'trendy' special effects so much, at least it fed into the message and the sci-fi elements well. I agree with what a lot of people have said about the writing and characterisation. I don't want to do an all-out review here, but let's just say...

... some of it was like mining for unobtainium.

Yeah okay, my Roger Ebert class isn't until next week.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-27 12:40:13

At 1/27/10 10:53 AM, gumOnShoe wrote: I think its a great idea.

Ask, and ye shall receive

Additionally, Tom said he was hoping to see people use this forum as a base for interviewing people in the flash community. This could easily be wrapped up into that.

Yeah, that's a good idea, alluded to in the OP

At 1/27/10 12:26 PM, Scarab wrote: Avatar wasn't too bad. The 3d was fantastic, and even though I'm not huge guy for 3d and other 'trendy' special effects so much, at least it fed into the message and the sci-fi elements well. I agree with what a lot of people have said about the writing and characterisation. I don't want to do an all-out review here, but let's just say...

Movie reviews! I knew that there was something I missed out on in the OP. *mutters*

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-27 12:43:37

I don't LOVE poetry, its just that i don't like rhyming.

Sig done by LifeStream

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-27 13:34:04

At 1/27/10 12:43 PM, HeroDan wrote: I don't LOVE poetry, its just that i don't like rhyming.

Poetry doesnt have to rhyme my friend, mine certainly doesnt.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-27 13:51:18

At 1/27/10 01:34 PM, megakill wrote: Poetry doesnt have to rhyme my friend, mine certainly doesnt.

Indeed. While I'm not as familiar with a large amount of poetry as I am with types of story writing, I can name three poets off the top of my head who tend(ed) not to rhyme too often. That's not to say that their poems never rhymed, but all three of these I bring up now tend to be seen as writers who liked to piss around with structure in general.

Former British poet laureate Andrew Motion. In particular from that link, 'You Helped Give A Shape' and 'Diving'. There are still rhymes or near-rhymes, but there's still some experimentation there. Some traditionalists disliked him for these sorts of reason - I remember reading a humourous article on it ages ago in some writing mag.

Allen Ginsberg: I'll link 'Howl' because it's famous and familiar to even the smallest fans of the beatnik writers... and also because I don't have my Ginsberg collection here.

Former US poet laureate Billy Collins: I studied Collins in school. His style is certainly not for everyone, but he's great with his own personal themes. I don't think he rhymes very often at all. See 'Another Reason Why I Don't Keep A Gun In The House'.

Like I've been saying, I'm planning on sharing more literature/films that I've used as starter points in the past - it might be something like this. Whatever happens, I really don't think it will be like a book club thread, but I guess this sort of thing is fine here in the lounge, right?

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-27 14:06:00

what is that gust of wind called when something moves past you really fast???

NEVER FORGET

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-27 14:53:51

Well hey there all. I'm Blue, and writing influenced my life because i enjoy it. Nothing more, nothing less. I enjoy writing and that's why I came over here to the writing forum, to show my writing and to enjoy others, so there.

ARTARTART If home is where the heart is, then aren't you screwed.

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-27 14:58:02

Hi, I'm PuddinN64. I've been writing for a few years now and I really hope to become a major regular on this board. I hope to become a humorist as my job when I'm out of school.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-27 15:04:27

Seems I should pay attention to the NG news a bit more. Just saw this and I'm still not sure if I'm dreaming or not. I'll assume the latter for now and celebrate the creation of a forum for writers with due haste.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-27 15:14:58

I haven't completed anything significant in a while. I've been trying to write a decent short story for a good part of this month and I've just been fizzling out a few hundred words in. Today (technically yesterday) was quite a shit day for me and I don't really know why, but it was the first time this month I've had something to motivate me. I started writing a short story this afternoon, and, same as with the previous stories, I've stumbled through the first few hundred words, but in the early hours of the morning (about 2-3ish) the writing started to flow better, and I've decided I'm not going to sleep until the story's done. Currently standing at almost 1,700 words I think it's not too far off the end. Only query is what I do with it here.

Should I create a thread specifically for that story, should I create a general "writersblock's fiction" thread and post it and any further stories there, or should I blog it and link to it in this here lounge? Or any other options? It seems at the moment everyone's doing everything willy nilly, I'm interested to see how some of you guys think the threads here should be constructed (or woven, per se).

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-27 15:17:55

... I realized afterwards I probably should've introduced myself or something. Bah!

I'm Drew, some punk who did a few interviews for the NG Mag years ago (Which were incredibly terrible, like most things I did years ago). I've never been one to make use of the NG boards, mostly because for so long I forum hopped from one place to another and also a little bit because when I outgrew the forum hopping I decided to try and avoid forums. Let's see if I can get back into it then.

I'm a fantasy fiction writer, with one story formed as a web comic, one in the works as a novel, and two others still in early development stages.

My story writing is influenced heavily by R.A. Salvatore, Jacqueline Carey, J.R.R. Tolkien, J. K. Rowling, and Philip Pullman. These writers consist of a large majority of my books.

I'm not one to write short stories, prefer more grand tales. However, you may see some of the short stories I have brewing for another concept I'm working on, and you'll definitely get snippets of the novel I'm slowly progressing on.

With that, it's a pleasure to meet'cha all!

WritersBlock, I'm trying to think of what would work best for ya. Give me a bit...

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-27 15:20:45

At 1/27/10 03:14 PM, WritersBlock wrote: I haven't completed anything significant in a while. I've been trying to write a decent short story for a good part of this month and I've just been fizzling out a few hundred words in. Today (technically yesterday) was quite a shit day for me and I don't really know why, but it was the first time this month I've had something to motivate me. I started writing a short story this afternoon, and, same as with the previous stories, I've stumbled through the first few hundred words, but in the early hours of the morning (about 2-3ish) the writing started to flow better, and I've decided I'm not going to sleep until the story's done. Currently standing at almost 1,700 words I think it's not too far off the end. Only query is what I do with it here.

You sound a bit like me. I'm in the middle of writing two different stories and each of them are stagnant at the moment. Hopefully I'll get right back into them today and make some progress here and there. The thing is I'm a notoriously short writer and sometimes chapters are rather short or undescriptive enough.

Should I create a thread specifically for that story, should I create a general "writersblock's fiction" thread and post it and any further stories there, or should I blog it and link to it in this here lounge? Or any other options? It seems at the moment everyone's doing everything willy nilly, I'm interested to see how some of you guys think the threads here should be constructed (or woven, per se).

Yes please. I'd like to know if we should get our own threads, or if each story gets its own thread or whatever.

With the addition of this forum, I've gotten a new wind for writing and I told myself to get off my hiney and get back to work. And with lack of IRL work at the moment, "No Time Like The Present" as I usually say.

Krbyfan1(kur-bee-fan-one)- A creature that resides in the state of Colorado. Distinguished by his size, love of small mammals, video games, and the anime series "Tenchi Muyo!"

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-27 15:28:57

Alright, how about this then?

If you write a lot of short stories and/or poems, make a singular thread for them. If you write novel-length stories, stick to a thread per story.

In addition, we can reduce some clutter by also making a sort of central "hub" topic for folks who don't write a lot but have some poems or short stories, or for those folks who do write novels but want to be able to put their shorts up somewhere.

I hope that made sense...

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-27 15:41:11

At 1/27/10 03:28 PM, Skye-McCloud wrote: Alright, how about this then?

If you write a lot of short stories and/or poems, make a singular thread for them. If you write novel-length stories, stick to a thread per story.

In addition, we can reduce some clutter by also making a sort of central "hub" topic for folks who don't write a lot but have some poems or short stories, or for those folks who do write novels but want to be able to put their shorts up somewhere.

I hope that made sense...

Myeah, I wouldn't mind having a thread for all my stuff, even my more ambitious works. Although I feel that something more practical, such as scripts may very well deserve their own thread per script, or perhaps a script specific "hub", as you use the term. I guess we're just playing things by ear at the moment, and trying not to spam this shit up too much. I hope the forum doesn't become riddled with thread after thread of half-baked ideas seeking flash endorsement.

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-27 15:41:42

At 1/27/10 10:34 AM, Coop83 wrote: What would you guys think?

I dig the idea, since that's where my writing has tended to go in the past few years (I have a few creative writing pieces lying around, but it seems like I just don't have the time or discipline to really get it turned into anything truly worthwhile). But I think having it confined to just a single thread is a bad idea that will cause too much clutter. It should maybe be something where if someone wants to do it they should get their own thread and start posting pieces to it. A catch all thread will just be a mess I think and people will wind up only posting their own stuff for the most part and not read others.

You don't have to pass an IQ test to be in the senate. --Mark Pryor, Senator

The Endless Crew: Comics and general wackiness. Join us or die.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-27 15:47:19

At 1/27/10 03:14 PM, WritersBlock wrote: I haven't completed anything significant in a while. I've been trying to write a decent short story for a good part of this month and I've just been fizzling out a few hundred words in. Today (technically yesterday) was quite a shit day for me and I don't really know why, but it was the first time this month I've had something to motivate me.

Motivation comes in just the worst places for a lot of us I think. It's not that we're a group of sad sad people, but that, in my opinion, most of us are young and still experiencing different feelings for the first times. As far as the creative mind is concerned, we seem to love adjusting the world when we feel something's wrong, even if we don't really know what that might be. I don't know, I've been reading a lot of this sort of thing in my spare time.

I'm glad you've got a work in progress though. That's better than me right now. I-I-

Relevant video. NSFW? I forget, talking about sex.

You know, I'm going to be honest. When I noticed the new forums, I was delighted, but you know what? The next thought I had was, God, please please say they came up with some rules and guidelines beforehand. I admit it, really! It has had its positive effects though - it's a community for the users, by the users after all.

I've posted my thoughts in gum's thread - I personally think users should have one thread for all of their material, or possibly one thread for stories and another for poetry, etc. It can all still be workshopped regardless of whether its linked to an upload or posted directly in the thread, I think. The forum could potentially be very messy otherwise, but I don't know. I'm sure we could link stuff here in the lounge either way though.

I'm interested in seeing everyone else's thoughts too.