TrevorW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-03-01 15:30:08 Reply

At 3/1/10 03:07 PM, DaelJericho wrote:
At 3/1/10 02:42 PM, Imperator wrote:
At 3/1/10 02:28 PM, TrevorW wrote: By the way...not sure if any of the previous grammar makes any sense. I need soda...
Wuss. Be a man and grab a cup o' Joe.

Piping-hot coffee that puts a hop in your step and your ass in the john.

oorah.
Coffee, huraay! In fact my heart has stopped beating a long time ago, just this black, hot gold is keeping the system running! May I introduce: Greyfox, cheating death since 1999 by misuse of coffee.

*kills the guy*

I have saved the lives of many beans around the world. Praise me.

Anyways I really like the idea of people having to comment on other's work when they post their own. Any thoughts?

Failure should push you until success can pull you.

BBS Signature
Imperator
Imperator
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-03-01 15:47:41 Reply

At 3/1/10 02:48 PM, TrevorW wrote: I would never kiss a girl again. My breath stays minty fresh and my teeth white ty!

Damnit, I thought chicks were into hairy chests and the rugged outdoorsy look. I can't keep up with these friggin things anymore.....born in the wrong damn century I tells ya......

Also I can't help but think the mini-mod comment was made somewhat at me.

Well, maybe go with my system of doing things then. Works for me, might work for others.

Don't respond to stupid threads, or stupid posts. If it's really a distraction, PM a mod and let them take care of it.

They pick up most things, but there's always the chance one or two little things will go unnoticed. Specific posts in specific threads, or maybe just threads that no mod has read yet.

I'm more like a Watchman; I will PM a mod if I think something fell under their radar. They say "thank you for pointing it out, I'll take care of it", and the issue is done. They delete, lock, ban, or do whatever it is they feel is appropriate, and that's that. Problem solved.

No need to back-seat mod, no need to complain, no need to give trolls the attention they crave. Someone causing problems? PM a mod. A thread not in its proper place? PM a mod. A post against the rules? PM a mod.

I don't need to be a mod, I'm not looking to be a mod. But if there's a disruption that looks to have gone unnoticed, I consider it civic duty to shoot a mod a PM and say "You mind taking a look at this thread/post?"

Simple as that.

Writing Forum Reviewer.
PM me
for preferential Writing Forum review treatment.
See my NG page for a regularly updated list of works I will review.

<deleted>
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-03-01 15:54:59 Reply

At 3/1/10 02:28 PM, TrevorW wrote: However I am doing it in news article format so I plan to fill a 12 page paper. Yes, I will be designing the layout and everything. So far the templates alone have taken me roughly 20 hours.|

Good luck. I think media production's a good field, but unfortunately it's not one of my fields here.

I think I might know someone who's writing about marijuana for an assignment actually.

By the way...not sure if any of the previous grammar makes any sense. I need soda...

I back Imperator up on the coffee front.

At 3/1/10 02:48 PM, TrevorW wrote: Also I can't help but think the mini-mod comment was made somewhat at me.

You mean the business about being becoming a mod, etc?

I wouldn't worry yourself about it. Like I've already said in this thread, some of us will have moments like that - it's just another feature of the community. There was a quote doing the rounds across the BBS a few years back from 'a certain mod', something like, 'all regulars, regardless of whether they admit it or not, will want to be mods'. I think there's some truth to it, and given the ever=present novelty of this forum, I can forgive everyone (including myself) at this stage for trying to get stuck in. There's a learning curve involved.

Don't let it spoil your experience, is all I can say.

At 3/1/10 03:30 PM, TrevorW wrote: Anyways I really like the idea of people having to comment on other's work when they post their own. Any thoughts?

I've long been a fan of encouraging more users to offer critique to others here. One of the big benefits is that it helps everyone. Ever heard of the concept of the creative-critic? Someone who's actively creatively their own material, but is still wary of reading modes, theories, ideologies, etc.? It's practically all a neccessity on writing courses these days. I've tried to help push things a bit further in certain threads - not saying I'm a perfect model for it.

I don't comment on anywhere near as many threads as I would like to. Poetry has turned me off for being so, dare I say it, flash-in-the-pan, scripts have turned me off on formatting grounds, and there's a whole load of personal preference behind it all. I recommend all others to try it though - related: I try to make a practice out of returning comments to reviewer-writers.

Easter break may offer more of an oppurtunity to me.

AND OH MY GOD, slightly warmer day =/= a need to play loud music with the windows wide open. Booze night is tomorrow night for me, silly people.

TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-03-01 16:01:21 Reply

I'd like to think my poetry isn't personal. I don't write about myself so...

And about the mini-mod. I meant that I tend to be all bossy on here, but that isn't because I want to be a mod. I simply speak when I see something that needs done -- it's how I am. Now people keep throwing my name out there to be a mod and I'm flattered, but that was by no means the intent. Eh. All I can say is that I'll do anything that is thrown on my shoulders...someone has to.

I would appreciate it if you could at least check out the last page of my poetry there scarab. I try some nifty things. :)

BBS Signature
Version2
Version2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-03-01 16:06:15 Reply

At 3/1/10 02:28 PM, TrevorW wrote: @ Scarab

I have spent roughly 30 hours researching marijuana and I have spent another 10 so far writing/researching for the 15 page paper I'm going to write.

If you need any help with your paper let me know. I have a lot of things I can talk about on that subject.

One of the best online sources for drug research is Erowid.org. They have a pretty extensive cannabis section.

You can also try out Grasscity Forums, their best section is on growing. There's lots of technical know-how going on there, from how to build home brew aeroponic systems for cheap, to how to keep deer away from outdoor guerrilla grows. NORML is a good place to go for marijuana law. You won't find a lot of useful stuff about dealing tho, it's always different depending on where you are and who you know. Of course there has been some interesting online dealing happening. Ha ha, I think I found "erik."

Plus tons of personal experience, ect. If you want to ask a question, go for it.

TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-03-01 16:11:04 Reply

Well I am doing it on the premise of: Morality v Economic Prospects. The growing as such does pertain to my paper. NORML is a great source....

Thanks for the offer :)

a Sample article (rough):

Brief: DEA seizes 28 billion dollars worth of marijuana between 2005 and 2008

In 2005 alone the DEA seized 282,139 kilograms of marijuana (US drug enforcement Administration).

At the current street value of $8.60 per half-gram the net worth of the marijuana seized comes out to be 4,852,790,800 dollars (Moffatt). These products are then destroyed or lost in the system, no profit is made by the government.

However the amount seized has increased each year with the amount reaching an all time high of 660,969.2 kilograms in 2008: that comes out to be 11,368,670,240 dollars.

NASA had a budget of 16 billion in 2008 (Swaby).

The total value seized between 2005 and 2008? That comes out to be roughly 28 billion dollars. That amount was seized in one presidential term (US drug enforcement Administration).

BBS Signature
SilentCobra
SilentCobra
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Gamer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-03-01 16:28:50 Reply

Wow, 3 pages in 19 hours 16 minutes! That's a record in my book. Anyway, has anyone ever tried writing a story using the Four Elements? Earth, Wind, Water, & Fire. Aside from Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Sig by Byte | Steam ID -- SilentCobra | PS3 Gamer Tag -- SlntCobra1
Writers Lounge | EGB | PS3

BBS Signature
TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-03-01 16:33:23 Reply

At 3/1/10 04:28 PM, SlntCobra1 wrote: Wow, 3 pages in 19 hours 16 minutes! That's a record in my book. Anyway, has anyone ever tried writing a story using the Four Elements? Earth, Wind, Water, & Fire. Aside from Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Idk mate...it seems a bit over-done to me. But if you can pull it off go for it!

BBS Signature
Version2
Version2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-03-01 16:55:58 Reply

I wonder how off the 28 billion is? Alot of times in a grow seizure, the entire plant is weighed, not just the smokeable portion. Male plants, which are kept for breeding purposes and don't give bud, are also thrown in with female plants. In a sea of green grow, the roots can easily weigh more than the rest of the plant, turning a 100 plant seizure into something that looks weight wise like a 200+ plant seizure.

The DEA pads numbers, of course who could blame them? It looks different on their side of the fence. To the dealer, only the bud is usable, but to the DEA, the entire plant is illegal. The DEA's measuring system obviously skews numbers, but then again so would the dealers. Plants that are still in the vegative stage don't have bud on them, so they wouldn't count even tho it's part of the manufacturing process. Personally I don't think that the DEA should be reporting dollar amounts, because it only equals out to public boasting. They should report weight (in pure bud seizures) and plants (in grow seizures) only. 100 plants does not sound nearly as high a number as 25,000 dollars, but it's certainly more truthful.

$8.60 for half a gram?!? Jesus Christ! Fuck anyone that accepts paying that much for weed! It's roughly 10$ a gram here, I've seen some dealers try to up their prices to 50$ an 1/8th, but it always fails. Grow some fucking balls America! Stand up to your dealers, and demand better prices. I'm looking at you retards in the south, and the flyover states that are probably paying the same thing that I am for Mexican ditch weed.

TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-03-01 17:16:07 Reply

Eh the economic portion is on the side of the weed-lovers so I guess I am using their padding against them :P However, thanks, I will adress this in the editorial portion of my paper!

SILLY DEA!

BBS Signature
megakill
megakill
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-03-01 17:17:22 Reply

I'm trying to scrath the back of my eyeball with a coat-hanger.

TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-03-01 17:20:58 Reply

At 3/1/10 05:17 PM, megakill wrote: I'm trying to scrath the back of my eyeball with a coat-hanger.

I'm trying to read Scarab's post...would be grand if his IQ could drop down to human levels :P

BBS Signature
HeroDan
HeroDan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-03-01 17:31:19 Reply

Hey guys, if anybody's interestedhttp://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/
topic/1149574
is officially out.

Sig done by LifeStream

BBS Signature
tigerkitty
tigerkitty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-03-01 17:41:25 Reply

At 3/1/10 03:54 PM, Scarab wrote: I don't comment on anywhere near as many threads as I would like to. Poetry has turned me off for being so, dare I say it, flash-in-the-pan, scripts have turned me off on formatting grounds, and there's a whole load of personal preference behind it all.

I have to agree with you on both points there. I can't seem to really get through the poetry threads with any sense of interest. I don't like poetry, on the whole, (yes, of course there are some poems which strike a personal chord and stay in my mind ie John Donne's Holy Sonnet VII).

BUT because I don't like poetry I took a few classes on it so I could gain an appreciation of it. Even after all that studying, I still don't like it... though I appreciate it just fine :P

Scripts are just sort of tough to read on here. Like you said, the formatting is tedious.

AND OH MY GOD, slightly warmer day =/= a need to play loud music with the windows wide open. Booze night is tomorrow night for me, silly people.

You do see the sort of incongruity of this statement don't you? I mean usually it's the drunken nights out which are raucous. lol

<deleted>
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-03-01 18:06:32 Reply

At 3/1/10 05:41 PM, tigerkitty wrote: I don't like poetry, on the whole, (yes, of course there are some poems which strike a personal chord and stay in my mind ie John Donne's Holy Sonnet VII).

Yeah, I find this happens with me too. Quite a few of Donne's poems stick in my mind for various reasons actually, mostly to do with how he plays around with different contrasts in his religiously grounded poems. I've found that there's quite a few different points made in some of them. I'll have to look up the specific one I have in mind.

BUT because I don't like poetry I took a few classes on it so I could gain an appreciation of it. Even after all that studying, I still don't like it... though I appreciate it just fine :P

I'm hoping to use the core module on poetry I'm taking right now to perhaps build on this. It uses a wide range of material, so it caters to a fair number of people. As I said earlier, it uses a lot of sonnets. I want to try and edge my way in there.

Like you, I'll probably still demote it against prose and scriptwriting, but hey, I'll have some tries. I've already surprised myself a little.

Scripts are just sort of tough to read on here. Like you said, the formatting is tedious.

I'm going to continue advertising Celtx and related programs without pay. I'm hoping some day that linking to .txt files with the formats in hand will be the norm for scripts. No use jabbering about it here I guess, but yeah.

You do see the sort of incongruity of this statement don't you? I mean usually it's the drunken nights out which are raucous. lol

Oh yes, haha. It's just that I can't shrug and move on to other entertainments so easily when I'm stone cold sober. I'm not changing my precious schedule though. I start drinking at precisely 10:30 tomorrow night. The entire week's gone if I don't stick to that :P

tigerkitty
tigerkitty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-03-01 18:26:08 Reply

At 3/1/10 06:06 PM, Scarab wrote: Yeah, I find this happens with me too. Quite a few of Donne's poems stick in my mind for various reasons actually, mostly to do with how he plays around with different contrasts in his religiously grounded poems. I've found that there's quite a few different points made in some of them. I'll have to look up the specific one I have in mind.

You know what I found interesting... sometimes a poem stuck with me, not because of the text itself, but the emotion and the sound of someone reading it. I had a professor with a deep very round voice, and for the life of me I won't forget a particular poem by Anne Bradstreet due to hearing him read it.

Like you, I'll probably still demote it against prose and scriptwriting, but hey, I'll have some tries. I've already surprised myself a little.

I don't know if you've ever seen the movie Pretty Woman, but Richard Gere has a line about opera:

People's reactions to opera the first time they see it is very dramatic; they either love it or they hate it. If they love it, they will always love it. If they don't, they may learn to appreciate it, but it will never become part of their soul.

I think poetry is much the same, though perhaps not quite as vehement. You can learn to appreciate poetry, and really connect with a few poems here and there, but it just doesn't touch me like it does some people.

Oh yes, haha. It's just that I can't shrug and move on to other entertainments so easily when I'm stone cold sober. I'm not changing my precious schedule though. I start drinking at precisely 10:30 tomorrow night. The entire week's gone if I don't stick to that :P

What a scheduled and precise individual you are! sheesh lol

vow2thou
vow2thou
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-03-01 19:51:02 Reply

At 3/1/10 04:28 PM, SlntCobra1 wrote: ...has anyone ever tried writing a story using the Four Elements? Earth, Wind, Water, & Fire. Aside from Avatar: The Last Airbender.

I started planning a novel with this theme at the heart. However, it dealt more with the elements of Feng Shui (Earth, Water, Wood, Fire, Metal) and the principle of balance that is intrinsic in the practice of Feng Shui. It's a theme that (at least, from my experience of Western culture) hasn't been explored too much, since most elementally themed stories revolve around conflict as opposed to equilibrium.

Ended up abandoning it because I didn't think it was a mature enough theme for what I prefer writing, but it always tempts me now and then. If I ever became a story-writer for a developer of RPG games, then I'd pull it out of the archives for sure.

I assume you ask because you've an idea of your own. What were you thinking?

WritersBlock
WritersBlock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-03-01 21:34:07 Reply

I'm taking a course on poetry at uni this semester. It's part of my overall creative writing degree. I also had to write poetry last year, and while I'm not the biggest fan, I too have gained some appreciation for the art. Granted, I still think 90% of "poetry" is just glorified masturbation, but I've found, upon writing poetry, that I prefer writing poems that read more like decorative prose, with a visible plot, rather than vague wordplay that tries to tackle universal themes and call itself profound. Yes, while my poem about a car burning does hint at suppressed curiosity, it is also just about a car burning and not "the powers that be".

READ: "A Fear of Great Heights" and other forthcoming adventures right HERE
Signature Picture by: Spartan204

BBS Signature
TheSubject666
TheSubject666
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-03-01 21:56:56 Reply

well, most of the poetry that I write that has "Vague Deep Hidden Meanings" is really just some lines I liked tacked together with some common theme tahts vague so people would think it has DHM (deep hidden meaning)

Best poem ever, not sure who wrote it, but I love it for its brevity. note that it has proper grammar (it what the author did it as)

THE FORTIES

and in the desert cold men invented the star

thats pretty much the "deepest" one I know

The writer must write what he has to say, not speak it. - E. Hemingway

Wolf-Raven
Wolf-Raven
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-03-01 23:21:29 Reply

Okay, sorry if i'm interrupting, but i think i should just let people know who i am.

My name is Wolf-Raven and i write under the Pseudonym T.S.Millar (It's how a sign some of my flashes). I have been writing since i could actually write, with my first story completed when i was 8 (A space adventure called "Space Travel") Before then, i was imagining worlds and my parents used to write down these worlds for me.

Currently not published and entered a few contests, but i have completed various stories. My two biggest accomplishments would have to be sending a short story into a CBC writing competition (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) and also completing a 400 page novel, which i don't really find to be much of an accomplishment, as it's just sitting there screaming to get edited and it's being overshadowed by others in its series as well as other works.

Currently, i'm in a "Write down scraps of ideas and piece them together later" phase. I'm currently studying at the University of Ottawa with a dual major in Philosophy and Political Science. I'm on this forum because i want to seek like-minded writers and finally have the balls to get my work under the editing eye (oh, speaking of which, i also have an editor, but the more, the merrier.)

~T.S.Millar

Political Science: A haughty soap opera. Philosophy: A cold, mind-fucking bitch.
I love them both
"Manuscripts don't burn"- Mikhail Bulgakov

DaelJericho
DaelJericho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-03-02 05:56:40 Reply

Then let me be the first to welcome you in the Writing-Forum, my friend.

"It is not true that not nothing is not impossible, though this is a lie."

TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-03-02 07:19:09 Reply

You know a wolf-raven would be an ugly ass animal.

welcome

BBS Signature
WritersBlock
WritersBlock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-03-02 07:55:49 Reply

At 3/1/10 09:56 PM, TheSubject666 wrote: Best poem ever

Adam
Had 'em

By the greatest poet of all time, Anonymous.

Anonymous the poet, not the bullshit "we are legion" anonymous

READ: "A Fear of Great Heights" and other forthcoming adventures right HERE
Signature Picture by: Spartan204

BBS Signature
Ravariel
Ravariel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-03-02 08:37:59 Reply

Geez... the forum is slow all damn day yesterday so I'm all like, "hey, maybe I can add some stuff to my thread and renew some interest... maybe it'll even stay on the front page for more than an hour." Lo and behold, the forum explodes in activity soon after I do that and 12 hours later, it's hanging on the bottom of page 1, threatening to go into no mans land again.

Phooey.

Oh well, I guess everyone loves The Power considering I've gotten no criticisms on it :D

I really need to find an artist willing to tackle that damn thing >_>

Tis better to sit in silence and be presumed a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

DaelJericho
DaelJericho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-03-02 09:20:32 Reply

At 3/2/10 07:19 AM, TrevorW wrote: You know a wolf-raven would be an ugly ass animal.

welcome

Hey, you can never know when we would need something like that ^^

Wolf-Raven
Wolf-Raven
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-03-02 10:13:28 Reply

It has the body of a Raven and the ravenous hunger of a Wolf!

It has the wings of the Raven and the legs of a Wolf (no body so to speak)

It has the Mind of the wolf and the spine of the Raven!

It's just a lump of feathers and fur, like some greater animal just shat it out after eating them both!

It's a Raven with Wolf's Teeth

It's a Wolf with a Raven's Beak.

It's a Wolf that Shits like a Raven.

The list goes on...and on...and on

Political Science: A haughty soap opera. Philosophy: A cold, mind-fucking bitch.
I love them both

DaelJericho
DaelJericho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-03-02 11:05:17 Reply

At 3/2/10 10:13 AM, Wolf-Raven wrote:
It's just a lump of feathers and fur, like some greater animal just shat it out after eating them both!
It's a Raven with Wolf's Teeth
It's a Wolf with a Raven's Beak.
It's a Wolf that Shits like a Raven.

You were right TrevorW. It is an ugly-ass animal. No offense, Wolf-Raven ^^

Wolf-Raven
Wolf-Raven
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-03-02 11:24:20 Reply

Heh, yeah, none taken. The name is a nickname for one of my Characters, Wolfgang Ravenna, though it's now more of a codename considering everyone calls me "wolf"

I love them both

<deleted>
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-03-02 11:32:33 Reply

Welcome Wolf-Raven.

At 3/2/10 07:55 AM, WritersBlock wrote:
Best poem ever
Adam
Had 'em

Love it.

Without offense to Subject, I prefer this one.

At 3/2/10 08:37 AM, Ravariel wrote: Oh well, I guess everyone loves The Power considering I've gotten no criticisms on it :D

I really need to find an artist willing to tackle that damn thing >_>

I'll give it a go now, or at least in a couple of minutes.

I was meant to be going home this weekend, but I've decided against it now due to a number of reasons. One was Network Rail's decision to perform work on the railway that would fragment my expensive journey to an inconvenience (insert personal snide comment about prviately woned versus publicly held railways in Britain here), but mainly, I've just received a fair bit of work all at once, not to mention a feeling that I need to get some more writing out. I'm planning to go out for a walk and producing a short piece about it: I might post it here for a worskhop, since I can't help but feel that non-fiction is severely underprepresented on NG right now. Oh yeah, to help me too.

Any walkers here? It's a thing of my Dad's, and I've chosen to write about it due to how un-me it is.

Related, I struggle to say the names of the royal family, but seem to have no problem at all with taking up a patriotic duty in the name of socialism.

Mass trespass for the win?
Imperator
Imperator
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-03-02 13:32:35 Reply

Any walkers here? It's a thing of my Dad's, and I've chosen to write about it due to how un-me it is.

Very much so.
Anything under 2 hours is a "brief walk" for me.

Rav would understand this:
When I lived in Ann Arbor, I would walk from UTowers to north campus, routinely drawing out the walk by twisting and turning down various streets. Gotta be what? Couple miles? a hour or so there, hour or so back?

But between the job, school, and almost exasperating amount of time spent here, most days I don't head out at all anymore.

Writing Forum Reviewer.
PM me
for preferential Writing Forum review treatment.
See my NG page for a regularly updated list of works I will review.