New Topic Respond to this Topic
Rabid-Animals
Rabid-Animals
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Animator
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-26 16:44:57 Reply

I'm so glad that we've finally gotten our dear Writing Portal. I really hope to be a reg here in between schoolwork and whatnot. I can't wait to see the kind of stuff we make!

I remain optimistic.

BBS Signature
Toukeman
Toukeman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-26 16:45:10 Reply

I agree with Gagsy that we should also use the Lounge as a place to see what others are reading.

I am currently reading John Grisham's Playing For Pizza.

A good fish-out-of-water football story set in Italy. I'm not a huge fan of Grisham but this is a nice read.

Huh?

BBS Signature
Earthshine
Earthshine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-26 16:47:32 Reply

A good book that I've read is Ghost Rider by Neil Peart. It's the story of his ride from Canada down to Mexico city that he took after his wife and daughter died.

SCTE3
SCTE3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Musician
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-26 16:52:13 Reply

At 1/26/10 04:38 PM, SCUD14 wrote: Could we get a bigger character limit for this forum?

That actually isn't that bad of an idea, I hope they admins consider doing it, it be the art forums equivalent of allowing a bigger image to be uploaded.

<3//Request a Review//Review Request Club // #9 Reviewer // #3 Audio Reviewer

BBS Signature
Loki
Loki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-26 16:53:10 Reply

What gumonshoe said, lol.

Hello fellow writers.

I'M FBIPOLUX IM AN ALCOHO- I mean I'm a writer and I actually plan on living my life from my writings.

I currently have 200+ pages written for my first ever novel which I plan on publishing this year... in French. Obviously I'll get it translated and if I'm lucky Tom will let me sell it through the NG store :P

Anyways, I'm not home right now, so I can't talk much but I see forward to chat with all of ya'll and to read some new stuff!

P.S. Check my sig <_>

Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Audiophile
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-26 16:54:39 Reply

At 1/26/10 04:53 PM, FBIpolux wrote:
I currently have 200+ pages written for my first ever novel which I plan on publishing this year... in French. Obviously I'll get it translated and if I'm lucky Tom will let me sell it through the NG store :P

Can I ask what the story is about?

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature
GoryBlizzard
GoryBlizzard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-26 16:55:39 Reply

Hmm, I feel tempted to post some of my much older stories and poetry from early high school even though most of it probably wouldn't reflect the way I write now.

Lately I haven't been doing as much creative writing as I used to do--the last time I did any was about 2 weeks ago, but I'll do more work on that story once I get around to it.

Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Filmmaker
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-26 16:55:42 Reply

At 1/26/10 04:03 PM, SCTE3 wrote: Well this kicks things up a notch, will enjoy posting stories here from time to time, and curse you on posting this forum lounge before I did, aw well.

Ha, I actually saw that the forums were down with the edit button message and new that it meant new forums. I read something by Tom not too long ago that the forum was going to be made soon so I wrote this up ahead of time. I knew that a lounge really didn't need a large opening post.

At 1/26/10 04:04 PM, Gagsy wrote: Wow, this is just great. I don't write much but I'm looking to do more. I find writing to be calming really, and reading is a great joy.

I look forward to speaking much time reading the great stories I know you guys will ofer.

Yeah, I love to write, but I love to read just as much if not more so this is going to be a great place for me to sit down when I don't have anything to do and just go through stories.

At 1/26/10 04:23 PM, SlntCobra1 wrote: So I'm guessing the lounge is merely for tossing ideas back and forth, right Fro?

It's a lounge. Lounge with people lol. Talk about anything within the rules of the website. If it's about writing and reading then great.

For example, the lounge in the clubs and crew section really doesn't ever talk about clubs.

At 1/26/10 04:24 PM, Coop83 wrote: While I think the Wi/Ht is still my favourite forum, C&C has now been bumped to number 3.

I honestly think this will jump up to number 1. The Wi/Ht and the C&C will be somewhat tied at number 2.

At 1/26/10 04:38 PM, SCUD14 wrote: Could we get a bigger character limit for this forum?

You could always put stories on your userpage and then link them in a thread. ;)

BBS Signature
DumbassDude
DumbassDude
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Voice Actor
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-26 16:55:55 Reply

Collaboration threads would be interesting.

You could say it's a forum game but I use the term 'game' very loosely. Someone could write the first few sentences of a poem, and then someone could add to it, and then again, until a poem is finished, of course it would work better with stories as the stories can continue for dozens of pages and actually produce decent work if moderated correctly.

I have to say, I'm looking forward to peoples works as I'm eager to see if we have writers that don't simply tackle typical themes and use free verse, but writers who use traditional forms with dense references and even unexpected imagery.

I'm quite into poems if you haven't guessed, so you'll find that my poems will often have soaric poetic expressions that of poets such as Hart Crane.

BBS Signature
Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Audiophile
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-26 17:00:53 Reply

To DD: I don't know why but I do like the idea of a "Continue the story" type thing, but the issue you have is how serious people will take it or not. It'd need to be ruled up with a certain word count per section, and limits on whether the writer can completely change the story using just his part and such. Yeah I guess it is a game, but I see it more as a quick fire exercise for writers. Sort of think on your toes, and not plan plan plan, just read a part, then write a quick bit for the next, post then watch it snowball.

Also I know what this forum is missing already: WritersBlock.

Bloody sleeping Aussies.

BBS Signature
SilentCobra
SilentCobra
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Gamer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-26 17:03:15 Reply

Yea, a bigger character limit would surely help in the writing forum. So if it were doubled, then the total limit would be 8,192 x 2 = 16,384. Which is only half as much as our newsposts. Oddly enough one BBS post is 1/4 of a newspost. Didn't see that coming.

Sig by Byte | Steam ID -- SilentCobra | PS3 Gamer Tag -- SlntCobra1
Writers Lounge | EGB | PS3

BBS Signature
homor
homor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Gamer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-26 17:04:32 Reply

ever start writing something thinking "wow, this is gold! this is great! this is my best work yet!" and than after writing it for a good little while and re-reading your work you look on in horror and declare "oh my god, this is crap."

happened to me before (even though i rather liked the characters in said story) and i fear it may be happening again with this story i'm writing about a Public Domain Superhero.

i wrote the entire first chapter thinking "holy crap, this is better than anything I've written before!" which admittedly isn't saying much, than i looked back on it and it was just so short and felt a little rushed,

it's also really corny, however the Corniness isn't what bothered me, because that part is intentional, what with the story being a takeback to classic WW2 propaganda comic books.

"Guns don't kill people, the government does."
- Dale Gribble
Please do not contact Homor to get your message added to this sig, there is no more room.

BBS Signature
Loki
Loki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-26 17:06:04 Reply

At 1/26/10 04:54 PM, Gagsy wrote:
At 1/26/10 04:53 PM, FBIpolux wrote:
Can I ask what the story is about?

Ugh, I always feel unconfortable speaking about this on the Internet, but I guess I can in this Forum :P

Quick resume:
1993. Story's about a college student named Jadis Clark who survives a school shooting, saved by a mysterious beast. She later learns that she has a psychic gift that lets her mentally control an imaginary but physical creature. CIA gets involved, you see the idea. Basically this first novel is about
power, responsabilities, imagination vs reality and death. I actually wrote a fully detailed school shooting from the point of view of the shooter and the victims, so it should cause some people to not like my book I guess.

Anyways, I can't wait to finish working on it. Been 2 years and I want it to be a masterpiece. I'd say I'm more than halfway done, but I only worked full time on it for a good 6 months during that 2 years.

<deleted>
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-26 17:06:18 Reply

At 1/26/10 05:00 PM, Gagsy wrote: Also I know what this forum is missing already: WritersBlock.

Bloody sleeping Aussies.

At least it'll be a nice surprise for him :)

If anyone's interested, I'm thinking about collecting some scriptwriting links and making a thread with them. Formatting scripts probably isn't going to be hugely important to Flash artists or whoever may be interested, but it will sure make reading things easier, and if an artist wants a script and not a story, it's better to make things concise like in a script.

gumOnShoe
gumOnShoe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-26 17:08:21 Reply

At 1/26/10 05:00 PM, Gagsy wrote: To DD: I don't know why but I do like the idea of a "Continue the story" type thing, but the issue you have is how serious people will take it or not. It'd need to be ruled up with a certain word count per section, and limits on whether the writer can completely change the story using just his part and such. Yeah I guess it is a game, but I see it more as a quick fire exercise for writers. Sort of think on your toes, and not plan plan plan, just read a part, then write a quick bit for the next, post then watch it snowball.

Bloody sleeping Aussies.

There's a model example of this in the old Writer's Guild. I think the best way to move forward with such a collaboration is to organize into the following:

1) Determining what the story will be about OR how to start it
2) Determining how you will set a turn order for the thing so that you don't have multiple story lines arise

etc

The collaboration we ran worked as follows:

Those interested had to post an introductory set of paragraphs to such a story. The users who were participating voted, whichever had the most votes was what we went with and then we said it would happen in this order, and if anyone waited too long we'd move on.

The thing about it is, I don't want to see a one liner with "finish it" and thats all.

Newgrounds Anthology? 20,000 Word Max. [Submit]

Music? Click Sig:

BBS Signature
RapeMuffin
RapeMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-26 17:08:48 Reply

At 1/26/10 04:01 PM, Fro wrote: Feel free to chat among other regulars of the writing forum. If it's your first time posting then make sure you introduce yourself and tell us how writing has influenced your life.

Hey everyone!

My name is RapeMuffin and I actually started to attempt creative writing just over a year ago in the December MWCs. I didn't think my story would be any good, so I submitted it under an alt account - and when my stories started to do well, I just kept on submitting them under this account!

So, yeah - that's pretty much all there is to know about me, as I am simply a mask to obscure my main account from the shame of a bad story.

Hope to see you all in the MWCs and around the Writing Forum! :D

BBS Signature
Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Audiophile
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-26 17:09:14 Reply

At 1/26/10 05:06 PM, FBIpolux wrote:
Anyways, I can't wait to finish working on it. Been 2 years and I want it to be a masterpiece. I'd say I'm more than halfway done, but I only worked full time on it for a good 6 months during that 2 years.

Wow that actually sounds like a really interesting set up.

I can't blame you for not wanting to rush it. Hope it goes well, and that yes when you eventually finish it you make sure the good people here at NG can buy a copy :)

BBS Signature
HighWay
HighWay
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Melancholy
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-26 17:09:57 Reply

I used to be a great writer, now I'm so-so. HELP ME GET MY FLAME BACK GUIZE!!!1!!

The work, which becomes a new genre itself, will be called...

BBS Signature
DumbassDude
DumbassDude
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Voice Actor
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-26 17:11:05 Reply

At 1/26/10 05:00 PM, Gagsy wrote: To DD: I don't know why but I do like the idea of a "Continue the story" type thing, but the issue you have is how serious people will take it or not.

Perhaps the OP could set his opening post out like a flash collaboration post accompanied by the basis of the thread...

It'd need to be ruled up with a certain word count per section, and limits on whether the writer can completely change the story using just his part and such.

Yeah basically; Limited word count, restrictions and etc. Only thing that concerns me is that one person will be writing their part, finish it, only to find someone has already posted the next part.

Yeah I guess it is a game, but I see it more as a quick fire exercise for writers. Sort of think on your toes, and not plan plan plan, just read a part, then write a quick bit for the next, post then watch it snowball.

Thats what professional writers do, so if anything, if done correctly these 'games' will definitely improve your writing capabilities. It's even better that this is a forum, as I can imagine that other users will be greatly influenced by more talented writers here. So like the flash forum, maybe the Writing forum will spawn a new generation of writers within the coming years.

Hah, him of all people missed this forums release.

BBS Signature
Toukeman
Toukeman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-26 17:12:25 Reply

At 1/26/10 05:04 PM, homor wrote: happened to me before (even though i rather liked the characters in said story) and i fear it may be happening again with this story i'm writing about a Public Domain Superhero.

i wrote the entire first chapter thinking "holy crap, this is better than anything I've written before!" which admittedly isn't saying much, than i looked back on it and it was just so short and felt a little rushed,

it's also really corny, however the Corniness isn't what bothered me, because that part is intentional, what with the story being a takeback to classic WW2 propaganda comic books.

Now we have this forum post it here. I may not be the best writer or anything, but I will read it.

The Writers Forum isn't just for Writers. It is for Writers and their works AND Readers who will look at someone hard work then give them some critique that should help the writer with any future works or current work.

So Post away.

Huh?

BBS Signature
Tri-Nitro-Toluene
Tri-Nitro-Toluene
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-26 17:13:29 Reply

At 1/26/10 05:11 PM, DumbassDude wrote:
It'd need to be ruled up with a certain word count per section, and limits on whether the writer can completely change the story using just his part and such.
Yeah basically; Limited word count, restrictions and etc. Only thing that concerns me is that one person will be writing their part, finish it, only to find someone has already posted the next part.

It's why you set out who can post in that collab at the very beginning, and the mods delet anything that isn't by the set specific individuals.

Not too difficult to do, we just need to set up a few guidelines to begin with. As Gum said, the old Writers Guild had a system for it and that worked.

coure
coure
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-26 17:17:04 Reply

Hello guys, I'm Coure and finally there is a forum about something I am actually skilled at. I am very pleased to see this forum up and hopefully I will be posting some of my short stories soon.

Gamer's United, making the world a better place for gaming.

BBS Signature
DumbassDude
DumbassDude
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Voice Actor
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-26 17:17:09 Reply

At 1/26/10 05:03 PM, SlntCobra1 wrote: Yea, a bigger character limit would surely help in the writing forum. So if it were doubled, then the total limit would be 8,192 x 2 = 16,384. Which is only half as much as our newsposts. Oddly enough one BBS post is 1/4 of a newspost. Didn't see that coming.

I think FanFiction.net should be the template for stories, especially huge novels. I mean, it's much easier to read in FanFictions format than it is on the BBS and it can hold so much more than a news post can.

Anything else should be submitted to the BBS, but don't think twice about using FanFiction if you have written a substantially large amount, it's easier on the eyes AND easier to format, not to mention every thread doesn't have to greet it's viewers will a dozen wall of texts.

BBS Signature
DumbassDude
DumbassDude
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Voice Actor
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-26 17:19:49 Reply

At 1/26/10 05:13 PM, Tri-Nitro-Toluene wrote: It's why you set out who can post in that collab at the very beginning, and the mods delet anything that isn't by the set specific individuals.

Simple enough.

Not too difficult to do, we just need to set up a few guidelines to begin with. As Gum said, the old Writers Guild had a system for it and that worked.

I wasn't too familiar with the Writers Guild, good system though.

BBS Signature
homor
homor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Gamer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-26 17:22:23 Reply

At 1/26/10 05:12 PM, Toukeman wrote: Now we have this forum post it here.

Right Here on my Blog, Dawg.

"Guns don't kill people, the government does."
- Dale Gribble
Please do not contact Homor to get your message added to this sig, there is no more room.

BBS Signature
Oobeedoopskadoobie
Oobeedoopskadoobie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-26 17:26:17 Reply

This new writing forum is going to be AMAZING! I am an avid writer myself, dealing mostly in horror/suspence stories. I love writing these kinds of stories, because I find my greatest joy in scaring the living shit out of people.

Loki
Loki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-26 17:26:16 Reply

At 1/26/10 05:09 PM, Gagsy wrote: Wow that actually sounds like a really interesting set up.

Yeah, I'm trying to be innovative in a ground where pretty much everything has been done :P

I can't blame you for not wanting to rush it. Hope it goes well, and that yes when you eventually finish it you make sure the good people here at NG can buy a copy :)

I'll walk to the NG office from Montreal if I have to, but I sure want bob to add my novel to the NG store :D

I also plan to get the covert art drawn by a NG artist. (poxpower and Vincent Grey came to my mind first...)

gumOnShoe
gumOnShoe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-26 17:29:47 Reply

Cool beans, I'll delve more in depth with this later. Gotta catch a train home though.

:D <---- Can I emphasis this enough? Probably not.

Newgrounds Anthology? 20,000 Word Max. [Submit]

Music? Click Sig:

BBS Signature
coure
coure
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-26 17:31:33 Reply

At 1/26/10 05:26 PM, Oobeedoopskadoobie wrote: This new writing forum is going to be AMAZING! I am an avid writer myself, dealing mostly in horror/suspence stories. I love writing these kinds of stories, because I find my greatest joy in scaring the living shit out of people.

I'm alot like that too. I would really enjoy reading some of your material sometime because not only do I enjoy writing Horror/Suspense stories I also enjoy reading them, In fact i just finished a book called "The Girl Next Door" by Jack Ketchum and it was absolutly terrifying.

Gamer's United, making the world a better place for gaming.

BBS Signature
DumbassDude
DumbassDude
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Voice Actor
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-26 17:31:55 Reply

At 1/26/10 05:26 PM, FBIpolux wrote: Yeah, I'm trying to be innovative in a ground where pretty much everything has been done :P

You should post a small excerpt, it's nice to know that there are some avid novelists on the forum :D

BBS Signature