New Topic Respond to this Topic
NekoMika
NekoMika
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Musician
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-01 19:56:15 Reply

At 2/1/10 07:51 PM, InsertFunnyUserName wrote: This same thing happened to me in the art forum way back when. I would post my art, but hardly anyone would comment a lot of the time, so I never was able to get the feedback that I desired. How do I remove the review-repellent from my work? :I

Put a link to your art in your sig and create a catchy phrase that will make people want to click it like "All the amazing kids are doing it." or "Best thing you will ever see." I don't know, you just need to be able to write something that captures the poster or reader's attention and makes them wish to click it.

Request Reviews // #8 Reviewer // #2 Audio Reviewer
Audio / Review Moderator - PM with problems or questions

BBS Signature
<deleted>
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-01 20:15:09 Reply

I've been disappointed at myself for not being able to review more. This past weekend my excuse has been that I've been at home where I was distracted by shiny things. Essentially, I have some decent time now, but that's not always a good thing to promise, so I'll avoid doing so. I do try however, to put down everything I think about a piece as honestly as I can.

Also, I tend to actively avoid insanely short pieces. I expect that lots of people posting tiny stories will build up on them, so I could probably review them at a later date. If not, I'd just be posting a near-useless 'more detail' in many of these threads. I've also been staying away from poetry for the time being for different reasons.

Just watched the version of To Kill A Mockingbird with Gregory Peck as Atticus Finch - very good, although seemingly incomplete if you know the smaller details of the book. Great performances though - the trial scene(s) are probably worth watching alone. I can see why the AFI and other institutions love it to bits.

Nateofwar
Nateofwar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-01 20:24:53 Reply

Is anyone else here having alot of trouble reading/reveiwing peoples work when they post WALLS OF TEXT. I don't think i have ADD but when i see a wall of text its just a major eye fuck. Lately i've seen ALOT of EYE FUCKING TEXT WALLS.

Please people stop with the walls of text. If your posting a story space out your paragraphs. If your writing somthing REALY long just space it out when you end on one major idea. Please!

</rant>

Nateofwar owns your mother

Version2
Version2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-01 20:31:30 Reply

Admittedly, these forums suck as far as formatting options go. And there is no edit button so noone can go back and fix their text walls into a more readable story.

NekoMika
NekoMika
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Musician
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-01 20:35:20 Reply

At 2/1/10 08:24 PM, Nateofwar wrote: Is anyone else here having alot of trouble reading/reveiwing peoples work when they post WALLS OF TEXT. I don't think i have ADD but when i see a wall of text its just a major eye fuck. Lately i've seen ALOT of EYE FUCKING TEXT WALLS.

Oh yes, I have seen those before in general from time to time, they use all the characters but no spacing or anything at all. Quite tedious and annoying.

Please people stop with the walls of text. If your posting a story space out your paragraphs. If your writing somthing REALY long just space it out when you end on one major idea. Please!

No, if you post something really long and you can't get it in one post then it's alright, just post the second half in the post right under it. I don't think the mods will have a problem with it here if it's the same story in multiple posts.

At 2/1/10 08:31 PM, Version2 wrote: Admittedly, these forums suck as far as formatting options go. And there is no edit button so no one can go back and fix their text walls into a more readable story.

Actually you would expect people to try to correct and proofread their story before posting. Also people can fix their wall of text ahead of time by double spacing it before posting, not that hard.

BBS Signature
Version2
Version2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-01 20:41:03 Reply

At 2/1/10 08:35 PM, SCTE3 wrote: Actually you would expect people to try to correct and proofread their story before posting. Also people can fix their wall of text ahead of time by double spacing it before posting, not that hard.

I wouldn't expect people to, I would hope they would, but not expect. The forum requirements are based on age, not writing ability.

Still, an edit button at least would help these forums out. I don't know how many posts I have here riddled with typos and errors. I see a bunch of stuff in the stories on my writing thread that I would love to correct, but not enough to repost the entire story all over again.

Luxury-Yacht
Luxury-Yacht
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Movie Buff
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-01 20:43:26 Reply

At 2/1/10 08:35 PM, SCTE3 wrote:
At 2/1/10 08:31 PM, Version2 wrote: Admittedly, these forums suck as far as formatting options go. And there is no edit button so no one can go back and fix their text walls into a more readable story.
Actually you would expect people to try to correct and proofread their story before posting. Also people can fix their wall of text ahead of time by double spacing it before posting, not that hard.

These forums don't have many formatting options as far as spacing goes, true. Of course, you can still make it better by spacing things out reasonably.

If I could add anything to the text on this forum, it would be the ability to INDENT. Seriously, I need to be able to indent. Pressing enter to go to the next paragraph usually makes little to no difference visually, since it's hard to tell if it's a new paragraph or not without the indent, making the best option just putting a break between paragraphs. However, the latter technique isn't always appropriate and sometimes gets out of hand, resulting in a ridiculous number of gaps in the text that doesn't exactly look great.

i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i
oh no I am choking on a million dicks

BBS Signature
NekoMika
NekoMika
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Musician
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-01 20:43:42 Reply

At 2/1/10 08:41 PM, Version2 wrote: I wouldn't expect people to, I would hope they would, but not expect. The forum requirements are based on age, not writing ability.

Yes I know, I know but you think after they read and saw how several other people were posting they would eventually pick up on how to do it after awhile. Oh well, I'm not them, I can't tell them how to post their stories. I can only critique and tell them how they may need to improve in the future.

Still, an edit button at least would help these forums out. I don't know how many posts I have here riddled with typos and errors. I see a bunch of stuff in the stories on my writing thread that I would love to correct, but not enough to repost the entire story all over again.

BBS Signature
InsertFunnyUserName
InsertFunnyUserName
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Melancholy
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-01 20:46:23 Reply

At 2/1/10 07:56 PM, SCTE3 wrote: Put a link to your art in your sig and create a catchy phrase that will make people want to click it like "All the amazing kids are doing it." or "Best thing you will ever see." I don't know, you just need to be able to write something that captures the poster or reader's attention and makes them wish to click it.

Well yes, advertising in my sig or on my userpage would get more traffic, but I'm more referring to the activity of the actual forum. You'd think that with ten or twelve people on at a certain time that sometime within the hour I would get good feedback from at least one or two of them, but...

At 2/1/10 08:15 PM, Scarab wrote: I've also been staying away from poetry for the time being for different reasons.

I don't seem to be able to give feedback for poetry that's as good as what I can give for short stories, for whatever reason. I suppose I just don't know that much about it. I can spot an awkward line and I know when something is good or bad, but it takes a good deal of finagling for me to get my words to say what I want them to.

At 2/1/10 08:24 PM, Nateofwar wrote: Please people stop with the walls of text. If your posting a story space out your paragraphs. If your writing somthing REALY long just space it out when you end on one major idea. Please!
</rant>

I agree. I understand if it's something that the person wrote a while ago and it's 10,000 words, but if you're writing something new and you plan on posting it up, keep that in mind. Double space your paragraphs in your word program. It's not too painful of a habit to get into.

At 2/1/10 08:35 PM, SCTE3 wrote: No, if you post something really long and you can't get it in one post then it's alright, just post the second half in the post right under it. I don't think the mods will have a problem with it here if it's the same story in multiple posts.

No, there's no problem with taking more than one post. Hell, the second chapter to my novel that I'm currently working on is already 20,000 characters and it's not finished. And that's not even that long. So, don't worry about that.

At 2/1/10 08:31 PM, Version2 wrote:

On that topic, I don't like it when people say "Oh, well I wrote that up really quickly so that's why there's those mistakes." Don't post something up if it's not edited. You don't need us to point out mistakes that you could find on your own. Fix all that stuff beforehand. There's no need to hurry.

[quote]

whoa art what

BBS Signature
HollowedPumkinz
HollowedPumkinz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-01 20:50:24 Reply

At 2/1/10 08:35 PM, SCTE3 wrote:

Yeah. That's what I do. I write what I want in Microsoft Office Word 2007 to do some spell checking and revise it. I find it a lot easier to read back and revise when using Word. I think it's because it has black text against a white background. Making it less of an eyestrain to see and makes it easier to be able to catch more errors that way too, rather than writing it up here. As the black text and dark orange just seem to mix better and therefore, makes it harder to catch a mistake. Especially when you've just gotten done writing something extensive.

Even as I walk through the shadow of the Valley of Death, I shall fear no Evil. Semper Fidelis

BBS Signature
Nateofwar
Nateofwar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-01 20:51:01 Reply

I agree that an indent would be nice i think the closest you could get would prolly be pressing space a few times or maybe an underscore or somthing
Paragraph
or
__Paragraph

InsertFunnyUserName
InsertFunnyUserName
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Melancholy
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-01 20:54:27 Reply

At 2/1/10 08:50 PM, HollowedPumkinz wrote: Especially when you've just gotten done writing something extensive.

The text in word processors is also appears bigger on your monitor than what appears in the text box. Additionally, the background in your processor is white whereas here our sentences are up against a city skyline pattern.

At 2/1/10 08:51 PM, Nateofwar wrote: I agree that an indent would be nice i think the closest you could get would prolly be pressing space a few times or maybe an underscore or somthing

Even then, the system cuts out any unnecessary spaces.

[quote]

whoa art what

BBS Signature
Version2
Version2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-01 20:54:46 Reply

Yep, forum takes out spaces unless they are in code tags.

Lol maybe we should just start posting with code tags wrapped around the story :P

NekoMika
NekoMika
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Musician
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-01 20:59:57 Reply

At 2/1/10 08:46 PM, InsertFunnyUserName wrote: Well yes, advertising in my sig or on my userpage would get more traffic, but I'm more referring to the activity of the actual forum. You'd think that with ten or twelve people on at a certain time that sometime within the hour I would get good feedback from at least one or two of them, but...

Well that's how things roll I guess, I'd love to critique more of your work when it comes. Heck I've got a novel I'm writing that I might a well convert onto my computer that's well over 145,000 words in so far and it's not even really started to cover the basis of anything that's really happening. Maybe I should post a teaser of it on here?

No, there's no problem with taking more than one post. Hell, the second chapter to my novel that I'm currently working on is already 20,000 characters and it's not finished. And that's not even that long. So, don't worry about that.

I will never worry about it I don't think. Wish I could write up a sexy beat for some poems I write sometimes though. People tell me I can tell a great story. Heck, when I'm bored on the bus one of the more intelligent juniors I'm not friends with will sit and want to hear me tell him a story, he'll critique me if I messed up somewhere, nice guy anyways.

At 2/1/10 08:51 PM, Nateofwar wrote: I agree that an indent would be nice i think the closest you could get would prolly be pressing space a few times or maybe an underscore or somthing
Paragraph
or
__Paragraph

Actually simply being able to have the TAB button count as one character used on this forum would be nice. Since TAB and INDENT are the same, it'd be nice and convenient.

BBS Signature
InsertFunnyUserName
InsertFunnyUserName
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Melancholy
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-01 21:08:42 Reply

At 2/1/10 08:59 PM, SCTE3 wrote: Well that's how things roll I guess, I'd love to critique more of your work when it comes. Heck I've got a novel I'm writing that I might a well convert onto my computer that's well over 145,000 words in so far and it's not even really started to cover the basis of anything that's really happening. Maybe I should post a teaser of it on here?

Hmm... 145k words and not rolling yet? Make sure it's not going too slow or derailing too often. But hey, I can't judge until I read, so yeah, post it up.

[quote]

whoa art what

BBS Signature
HollowedPumkinz
HollowedPumkinz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-01 21:10:52 Reply

An idea just popped into my head gentlemen. When do you think we will be able to call some people Regulars? I know that such a thing would take easily months before we can clearly state that anyone is a reg. this forum is just too new. Though we already can decide who will more than likely become a reg, here, such as WritersBlock and some mods. As for others, I assume we'll just have to see how the user contributes, how often the person contributes, and how intelligently they contribute as well.
It's just a thought, that is probably to precocious a question to be asked this early. I was just wondering what general limits might be. Besides, if all else fails, we can always use Citric Squid's site to see just how long they've been here.

A link to those who don't know what I'm talking about:
BBS Forum Tracker

Even as I walk through the shadow of the Valley of Death, I shall fear no Evil. Semper Fidelis

BBS Signature
Version2
Version2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-01 21:17:05 Reply

According to that site, I'm one of the Flash forum regs, but I don't think anyones ever called me that :P

RWT
RWT
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-01 21:17:54 Reply

At 2/1/10 09:10 PM, HollowedPumkinz wrote: An idea just popped into my head gentlemen. When do you think we will be able to call some people Regulars?

http://m00d.net/online/leaderboard/18
http://m00d.net/online/RWT

I think I'm on the right track.

If you don't like my poetry, scroll down the page a bit. It gets better.

BBS Signature
Nateofwar
Nateofwar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-01 21:21:00 Reply

the site says ive spent nine hours in this forum and ive only been here a few days where as ive spent 12 hours in the general forum in the entire time ive been on NG

or at least since the program was made

TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-01 21:36:16 Reply

So it's rather official...I love this forum!

Failure should push you until success can pull you.

BBS Signature
HollowedPumkinz
HollowedPumkinz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-01 21:36:31 Reply

At 2/1/10 09:17 PM, RWT wrote:
At 2/1/10 09:10 PM, HollowedPumkinz wrote: An idea just popped into my head gentlemen. When do you think we will be able to call some people Regulars?
http://m00d.net/online/leaderboard/18
http://m00d.net/online/RWT

I think I'm on the right track.

Ass-Crumb has some how managed to log 2+ days here??? Wow, either he's cheating by just leaving a tab on here open all the time or he really likes lurking this place. Which opening a tab and just leaving it there is one of the problems with the leader board. It's far to easy to do so and not contribute anything. Not to imply Ass-Crumb does such things but others might. <.< >.>

Also. I'm on there. WooHoo!!

BBS Signature
RWT
RWT
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-01 21:42:55 Reply

At 2/1/10 09:36 PM, HollowedPumkinz wrote: leaving a tab on here open all the time.

That's what I do. >.>

Also, on a side note before I get back to writing or whatever it is I do:

http://m00d.net/online/TomFulp

Suck it, Audio!

-~RWT~-

If you don't like my poetry, scroll down the page a bit. It gets better.

BBS Signature
TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-01 21:44:38 Reply

At 2/1/10 09:36 PM, HollowedPumkinz wrote:

Well I have over two days on here as well, but I have made over 200 posts. Eh. Some of us love this forum!

BBS Signature
NekoMika
NekoMika
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Musician
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-01 21:47:46 Reply

At 2/1/10 09:08 PM, InsertFunnyUserName wrote:
Hmm... 145k words and not rolling yet? Make sure it's not going too slow or derailing too often. But hey, I can't judge until I read, so yeah, post it up.

Well for me it's about nine chapters in and they are nice and thick. I tend to add in a bit of extra sidings from time to time if I don't think the user would understand where a part of it is coming from. Hopefully getting my headset tomorrow, would love to start actually try to put some people's stories or my own into a voice so people could try to visualize with audio along with reading.

BBS Signature
InsertFunnyUserName
InsertFunnyUserName
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Melancholy
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-01 21:50:07 Reply

At 2/1/10 09:36 PM, HollowedPumkinz wrote: It's far to easy to do so and not contribute anything. Not to imply Ass-Crumb does such things but others might. <.< >.>
Also. I'm on there. WooHoo!!

Once the site logs more time, that'll all even out. Right now it's easy to leave a tab open for a few hours and jump a few places, but give it a few months and it'll take some serious persistence.

Looks like I'm up on the leaderboard for Writing as well. Also, ohlol, Gagsy has accumulated a total of nine days on general.

[quote]

whoa art what

BBS Signature
NekoMika
NekoMika
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Musician
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-01 21:52:19 Reply

Also I think while I'm saying things I think some grammar lesson threads would be nice, I could try to do them. Not on all words in general but mostly the homophone words people tend to misuse. Should I try to do this?

BBS Signature
InsertFunnyUserName
InsertFunnyUserName
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Melancholy
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-01 21:56:52 Reply

At 2/1/10 09:52 PM, SCTE3 wrote: Also I think while I'm saying things I think some grammar lesson threads would be nice, I could try to do them. Not on all words in general but mostly the homophone words people tend to misuse. Should I try to do this?

Should I make an official grammar question thread similar to Trevor's thread: Y/N?

[quote]

whoa art what

BBS Signature
TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-01 21:59:37 Reply

At 2/1/10 09:56 PM, InsertFunnyUserName wrote:
At 2/1/10 09:52 PM, SCTE3 wrote: Also I think while I'm saying things I think some grammar lesson threads would be nice, I could try to do them. Not on all words in general but mostly the homophone words people tend to misuse. Should I try to do this?
Should I make an official grammar question thread similar to Trevor's thread: Y/N?

No clue. I am simply making anything that I feel might be of use. This forum is so new that it can't hurt to try. Eventually things will settle and we will be able to consolidate topics into a firm basis, until the experiment?

BBS Signature
Version2
Version2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-01 22:10:37 Reply

Experiment away! If it doesn't work, it'll just get washed to the back of the forums, so what's the harm?

TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-01 22:13:34 Reply

At 2/1/10 10:10 PM, Version2 wrote: Experiment away! If it doesn't work, it'll just get washed to the back of the forums, so what's the harm?

Exactly! This is how a forum creates its own method-ism and standard!

BBS Signature