00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

SpeakyDooman just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Writing Forum Lounge

187,168 Views | 2,353 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-01 20:43:26

At 2/1/10 08:35 PM, SCTE3 wrote:
At 2/1/10 08:31 PM, Version2 wrote: Admittedly, these forums suck as far as formatting options go. And there is no edit button so no one can go back and fix their text walls into a more readable story.
Actually you would expect people to try to correct and proofread their story before posting. Also people can fix their wall of text ahead of time by double spacing it before posting, not that hard.

These forums don't have many formatting options as far as spacing goes, true. Of course, you can still make it better by spacing things out reasonably.

If I could add anything to the text on this forum, it would be the ability to INDENT. Seriously, I need to be able to indent. Pressing enter to go to the next paragraph usually makes little to no difference visually, since it's hard to tell if it's a new paragraph or not without the indent, making the best option just putting a break between paragraphs. However, the latter technique isn't always appropriate and sometimes gets out of hand, resulting in a ridiculous number of gaps in the text that doesn't exactly look great.

i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i

oh no I am choking on a million dicks

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-01 20:46:23

At 2/1/10 07:56 PM, SCTE3 wrote: Put a link to your art in your sig and create a catchy phrase that will make people want to click it like "All the amazing kids are doing it." or "Best thing you will ever see." I don't know, you just need to be able to write something that captures the poster or reader's attention and makes them wish to click it.

Well yes, advertising in my sig or on my userpage would get more traffic, but I'm more referring to the activity of the actual forum. You'd think that with ten or twelve people on at a certain time that sometime within the hour I would get good feedback from at least one or two of them, but...

At 2/1/10 08:15 PM, Scarab wrote: I've also been staying away from poetry for the time being for different reasons.

I don't seem to be able to give feedback for poetry that's as good as what I can give for short stories, for whatever reason. I suppose I just don't know that much about it. I can spot an awkward line and I know when something is good or bad, but it takes a good deal of finagling for me to get my words to say what I want them to.

At 2/1/10 08:24 PM, Nateofwar wrote: Please people stop with the walls of text. If your posting a story space out your paragraphs. If your writing somthing REALY long just space it out when you end on one major idea. Please!
</rant>

I agree. I understand if it's something that the person wrote a while ago and it's 10,000 words, but if you're writing something new and you plan on posting it up, keep that in mind. Double space your paragraphs in your word program. It's not too painful of a habit to get into.

At 2/1/10 08:35 PM, SCTE3 wrote: No, if you post something really long and you can't get it in one post then it's alright, just post the second half in the post right under it. I don't think the mods will have a problem with it here if it's the same story in multiple posts.

No, there's no problem with taking more than one post. Hell, the second chapter to my novel that I'm currently working on is already 20,000 characters and it's not finished. And that's not even that long. So, don't worry about that.

At 2/1/10 08:31 PM, Version2 wrote:
Actually you would expect people to try to correct and proofread their story before posting. Also people can fix their wall of text ahead of time by double spacing it before posting, not that hard.

On that topic, I don't like it when people say "Oh, well I wrote that up really quickly so that's why there's those mistakes." Don't post something up if it's not edited. You don't need us to point out mistakes that you could find on your own. Fix all that stuff beforehand. There's no need to hurry.

[quote]

whoa art what

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-01 20:50:24

At 2/1/10 08:35 PM, SCTE3 wrote:
At 2/1/10 08:31 PM, Version2 wrote: Admittedly, these forums suck as far as formatting options go. And there is no edit button so no one can go back and fix their text walls into a more readable story.

Yeah. That's what I do. I write what I want in Microsoft Office Word 2007 to do some spell checking and revise it. I find it a lot easier to read back and revise when using Word. I think it's because it has black text against a white background. Making it less of an eyestrain to see and makes it easier to be able to catch more errors that way too, rather than writing it up here. As the black text and dark orange just seem to mix better and therefore, makes it harder to catch a mistake. Especially when you've just gotten done writing something extensive.

Even as I walk through the shadow of the Valley of Death, I shall fear no Evil. Semper Fidelis

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-01 20:51:01

I agree that an indent would be nice i think the closest you could get would prolly be pressing space a few times or maybe an underscore or somthing
Paragraph
or
__Paragraph

Nateofwar owns your mother

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-01 20:54:27

At 2/1/10 08:50 PM, HollowedPumkinz wrote: Especially when you've just gotten done writing something extensive.

The text in word processors is also appears bigger on your monitor than what appears in the text box. Additionally, the background in your processor is white whereas here our sentences are up against a city skyline pattern.

At 2/1/10 08:51 PM, Nateofwar wrote: I agree that an indent would be nice i think the closest you could get would prolly be pressing space a few times or maybe an underscore or somthing

Even then, the system cuts out any unnecessary spaces.

[quote]

whoa art what

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-01 20:54:46

Yep, forum takes out spaces unless they are in code tags.

Lol maybe we should just start posting with code tags wrapped around the story :P

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-01 21:08:42

At 2/1/10 08:59 PM, SCTE3 wrote: Well that's how things roll I guess, I'd love to critique more of your work when it comes. Heck I've got a novel I'm writing that I might a well convert onto my computer that's well over 145,000 words in so far and it's not even really started to cover the basis of anything that's really happening. Maybe I should post a teaser of it on here?

Hmm... 145k words and not rolling yet? Make sure it's not going too slow or derailing too often. But hey, I can't judge until I read, so yeah, post it up.

[quote]

whoa art what

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-01 21:10:52

An idea just popped into my head gentlemen. When do you think we will be able to call some people Regulars? I know that such a thing would take easily months before we can clearly state that anyone is a reg. this forum is just too new. Though we already can decide who will more than likely become a reg, here, such as WritersBlock and some mods. As for others, I assume we'll just have to see how the user contributes, how often the person contributes, and how intelligently they contribute as well.
It's just a thought, that is probably to precocious a question to be asked this early. I was just wondering what general limits might be. Besides, if all else fails, we can always use Citric Squid's site to see just how long they've been here.

A link to those who don't know what I'm talking about:
BBS Forum Tracker

Even as I walk through the shadow of the Valley of Death, I shall fear no Evil. Semper Fidelis

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-01 21:17:05

According to that site, I'm one of the Flash forum regs, but I don't think anyones ever called me that :P

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-01 21:17:54

At 2/1/10 09:10 PM, HollowedPumkinz wrote: An idea just popped into my head gentlemen. When do you think we will be able to call some people Regulars?

http://m00d.net/online/leaderboard/18
http://m00d.net/online/RWT

I think I'm on the right track.

If you don't like my poetry, scroll down the page a bit. It gets better.

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-01 21:21:00

the site says ive spent nine hours in this forum and ive only been here a few days where as ive spent 12 hours in the general forum in the entire time ive been on NG

or at least since the program was made

Nateofwar owns your mother

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-01 21:36:16

So it's rather official...I love this forum!

Failure should push you until success can pull you.

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-01 21:36:31

At 2/1/10 09:17 PM, RWT wrote:
At 2/1/10 09:10 PM, HollowedPumkinz wrote: An idea just popped into my head gentlemen. When do you think we will be able to call some people Regulars?
http://m00d.net/online/leaderboard/18
http://m00d.net/online/RWT

I think I'm on the right track.

Ass-Crumb has some how managed to log 2+ days here??? Wow, either he's cheating by just leaving a tab on here open all the time or he really likes lurking this place. Which opening a tab and just leaving it there is one of the problems with the leader board. It's far to easy to do so and not contribute anything. Not to imply Ass-Crumb does such things but others might. <.< >.>

Also. I'm on there. WooHoo!!

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-01 21:42:55

At 2/1/10 09:36 PM, HollowedPumkinz wrote: leaving a tab on here open all the time.

That's what I do. >.>

Also, on a side note before I get back to writing or whatever it is I do:

http://m00d.net/online/TomFulp

Suck it, Audio!

-~RWT~-

If you don't like my poetry, scroll down the page a bit. It gets better.

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-01 21:44:38

At 2/1/10 09:36 PM, HollowedPumkinz wrote:

Well I have over two days on here as well, but I have made over 200 posts. Eh. Some of us love this forum!

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-01 21:50:07

At 2/1/10 09:36 PM, HollowedPumkinz wrote: It's far to easy to do so and not contribute anything. Not to imply Ass-Crumb does such things but others might. <.< >.>
Also. I'm on there. WooHoo!!

Once the site logs more time, that'll all even out. Right now it's easy to leave a tab open for a few hours and jump a few places, but give it a few months and it'll take some serious persistence.

Looks like I'm up on the leaderboard for Writing as well. Also, ohlol, Gagsy has accumulated a total of nine days on general.

[quote]

whoa art what

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-01 21:56:52

At 2/1/10 09:52 PM, SCTE3 wrote: Also I think while I'm saying things I think some grammar lesson threads would be nice, I could try to do them. Not on all words in general but mostly the homophone words people tend to misuse. Should I try to do this?

Should I make an official grammar question thread similar to Trevor's thread: Y/N?

[quote]

whoa art what

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-01 21:59:37

At 2/1/10 09:56 PM, InsertFunnyUserName wrote:
At 2/1/10 09:52 PM, SCTE3 wrote: Also I think while I'm saying things I think some grammar lesson threads would be nice, I could try to do them. Not on all words in general but mostly the homophone words people tend to misuse. Should I try to do this?
Should I make an official grammar question thread similar to Trevor's thread: Y/N?

No clue. I am simply making anything that I feel might be of use. This forum is so new that it can't hurt to try. Eventually things will settle and we will be able to consolidate topics into a firm basis, until the experiment?

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-01 22:10:37

Experiment away! If it doesn't work, it'll just get washed to the back of the forums, so what's the harm?

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-01 22:13:34

At 2/1/10 10:10 PM, Version2 wrote: Experiment away! If it doesn't work, it'll just get washed to the back of the forums, so what's the harm?

Exactly! This is how a forum creates its own method-ism and standard!

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-01 22:18:25

[quote]

whoa art what

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-01 22:25:27

Well, to be frank, I've thought many times of asking about grammar and spelling on multiple occasions. However, I can't see it taking off or even getting more than a few posts. I think this is because people wouldn't know where to begin. I mean, there's nothing you can tell them that they can't google them selves and find out on their own. Now if it were some kind of super grammar guide that covered all bases like how to properly use the comma, the semicolon, the colon, when it is the proper time to indent/end a paragraph, list the most common grammar mistakes and how to correct them such as: your, instead of you're, there, instead of their or they're and maybe some extras.
That would ultimately follow up to a super guide where you could educate most newgrounds. But even then it wouldn't get much views or posts for that matter. A. because some people don't really care to use perfect grammar and get along just fine without it and/or B. Even if they got a lot out of such a guide, they don't have any questions so the only post they could make is possibly a compliment. And on top of things, such a super guide would probably be better off in Wi/Ht instead of here. Though, I suppose you could post it in either.
But hey, I might just be a tad to cynical for my own good. To me it might be risky and take up a lot of time for nothing but that doesn't meant you can't try it. Who knows? Hopefully I'm wrong and this guide ends up being a success. I say go for it if you truly believe in it!

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-01 22:28:36

At 2/1/10 10:25 PM, HollowedPumkinz wrote: , when it is the proper time to indent/end a paragraph

I vote this as the first tutorial to be written for Writing:Main

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-01 22:28:54

At 2/1/10 04:49 PM, RWT wrote: I've been waiting to discuss literature with WB ever since I met him... I could weep for joy. I just hope I don't wet myself or say anything stupid about Poe.

I reread Le Carré's The Secret Pilgrim a few months ago, and this discussion of character narrators brings it to mind. If you haven't read it, here's the spoiler-free part that's relevant here: it's written as the memoirs of a man named Ned, a student of super-spy George Smiley, the main character in most of Le Carré's novels. The Secret Pilgrim is less of a novel and more of a collection of short stories, written from the recollections of 'Ned'. (In reality, most of the stories are stories Le Carré knew from his days as an actual intelligence agent, rewritten to include Ned). Parts of it are written in 2nd person, but never conversationally. There's always the air of formality that makes it seem like every word was considered; carefully chosen and edited by a man writing the story of his life. The reader's suspension of disbelief that the book is actually the memoirs of a spy named Ned is, in my opinion, constantly there.

The point I want to make is that the illusion of a story as being written by a character, while neccesitating special care, can be used to great effect. Two important things need to be ensured, however; that the illusion of the character being the one writing it doesn't break down, and that the writing remains in the voice of an author. If the story doesn't sound like it's being written by the character, if it sounds like an omniscient author is writing it, then the spell has been broken. If the story continues to make sense in that case, there's probably not even any reason to use the device.

The other point I mentioned is to maintain the voice of an author. A memoir or a book is not going to begin with 'Hey y'all, here's my story.' (No one would take them seriously; And after all, even fictional sixth-graders know not to use 2nd person in serious writing). What I'm trying to say is this; even if you aren't retarded, the authority that comes with being the author can be hard to duplicate in a character.

This is so better than that time we played monopoly.

I think writing in that character/narrator style just brings that extra life to the story if the author goes out of their way to really get into that character.

I read Anthony Burgess's 'A Clockwork Orange' last year and absolutely loved it for its use of language and how that was portrayed through the first person narrator. Over the past year or so, I've gotten into the habit of taking note on the first sentences in the books I read, and I've noticed that those are usually the ones that stand out the most when considering a narrator's character, it's a sort of brief introduction to the book, and I noticed it with A Clockwork Orange, and even numerous other books that I've bought and are even yet to read, that the author has taken the effort to establish their narrator from those first words.

For reference, I'll copy down the first few sentences from a few books that have caught my interest on the matter.

A Clockwork Orange: "What's it going to be then, eh?"
There was me, that is Alex, and my three droogs, that is Pete, Georgie, and Dim, Dim being really dim, and we sat in the Korova making up our rassoodocks what to do with the evening, a flip dark chill winter bastard though dry.

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn: You don't know me, without you have read a book by the name of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, but that ain't no matter. That book was made by Mr. Mark Twain, and he told the truth, mainly.

The Catcher in the Rye: If you reaally want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth.

I've only read the first of those three books, but already, the authors have established their stories to have those uniqu character narrators. Huckleberry Finn even goes to the point of referring directly to the author as a mostly honest fellow, despite the impression that he himself is telling his own story through the use of first person point of view. It becomes apparent, then, that this mostly honest Mark Twain guy wrote this book, and wrote this character to appear as some sort of straight shooter, telling it like it is. Although, for a narrator, he seems to lack a basic grasp on proper English sentence structure (and indeed, this is apparent with Alex in A Clockwork Orange as well). In the Catcher in the Rye, however, from that first glimpse, we can see that Holden is intent on telling the story his way, bias be damned. In this sense, his blanket disregard for a level, unbiassed recount gives the reader the impression that he is untrustworthy. In this sense, the events of the story are mediated through the reader's attitude towards the narrator.

My creative writing tutor last year was telling me about a story he wrote which recieved a poor review because the reviewer didn't like the narrator, and by extension, didn't like the author. When he saw the review, he couldn't believe that the reviewer made such an arbitrary mistake. Narrators aren't isolated to just an author's perspective, like the narrators are merely a platform for telling the reader what the author wants to say. Narrators are characters, same as Harry Potter is a character, or James Bond is a character, or Frodo Baggins is a character. Alex is a total bastard in A Clockwork Orange, but I definitely wouldn't say the same for Anthony Burgess. Alex is a bastard because Burgess needed him to be, in order to effectively convey his own message through the story.

And to briefly touch on Scarab's example of the French Lieutenant's Woman, I am vaguely familiar with the film, as I had to watch a bit over the course of my studies last year. I think film seems to inherently lack the subtleties of literature, especially as the alternating between the 'filming' and the 'present day' in the movie can only be defined as black/white, with nothing in between. I remember reading Fight Club and wondering how the hell they'd managed to turn that into a film. I actually thought the film turned out pretty well, although again, all subtleties are lost from the book. I guess it's just one of those things where there's no getting around it.

READ: "A Fear of Great Heights" and other forthcoming adventures right HERE

Signature Picture by: Spartan204

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-01 22:30:55

Well, I'll give it a few days and if it doesn't take off, I'll request it be deleted and replaced with a "Here's a list of stuff, add on if you want" thread and see how that goes.

[quote]

whoa art what

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-02 04:21:52

At 2/1/10 06:15 AM, tigerkitty wrote:
At 2/1/10 03:35 AM, Monocrom wrote: And you just blew your foot completely off. So now you're sinking, and you can even run for your life. And you can't even hop off the boat due to shock setting in, or you're freaking out about having blown your foot off!

BTW, good seeing you here.
What gets me about things like that isn't so much the semantics of it all, but just the mere fact that he's going to shoot off his foot. Yeah, it's easy enough to just write someone would be able to do that... but I think the margin of people who could, realistically, blow off their foot (even if to save themselves from guilt) is tiny tiny tiny.

Ah, but that's the thing . . . The character wasn't trying to blow his foot off. The author had such a piss poor knowledge of ballistics, that he actually thought his character would end up with a bullet lodged near his foot. Now something like that actually IS possible with a .22 Short. But definitely not with a .44 Magnum. I mean, you wouldn't use a wodden baseball bat to pick food out of your teeth. You'd use a wooden toothpick. With the above scenario, the author had his character use a baseball bat to try and pick his teeth. See what I mean?

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-02 04:43:31

You got the author to hit himself in the face with a bat? DUDE! You're awesome!

I may or may not be influenced again...

There was a pretty interesting story written in the thread earlier about a guy who, after a series of events, gets hit by a car. It was pretty obvious the author had never experienced this, lucky him, but that part of the story came out very unrealistic, and it was distracting from the main story. I think we're all used to a little bit of Hollywood physics, but only up to a certain point.

I totally get what you're saying. Writing is a lot like drawing in the fact that both require real world references to go off of.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-02 10:21:21

At 2/2/10 08:47 AM, SCTE3 wrote: Well it looks like IFUN did a nice starting point on making the thread, I was planning to add commonly misused homophones but there really aren't that many misused homophones aside from to, too, two, there, their, and they're. I know there are quite a few other misused ones but those are the ones that come off the top of my head.

I think that spelling and grammar tips are a good way to go with this thread. Dialogue, I think, is another thing that people often need help with.

I'm gonna go back to my room and be awesome.

Desert Punk of the NG /A/|My VA Demo Reel|Audio Portal|

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-02 10:51:30

Good golly, it's the Writing Forum!

Portal's next on the docket, one hopes? (Been out of the loop lately)

Has this forum established an advertise-story thread, or it's just allowing writers to go nuts? I ask because I've started a blog that will be published weekly; it's not a personal hey-look-at-my-boring-life blog, I've actually been contracted to do it for my MBA program. Soooo I'll actually be able to flex those somewhat sleepy writing muscles regularly, if only for ~700 words at a time.

I'm a bit wary when it comes to sharing it on NG though, lots of personal (not just me, other folks) info there, but they really want it to be read and commented on (but most of NG isn't the target audience... but people who frequent a writing forum? Much more likely).

Ho hum, what do y'all think?

Self-published fiction: Mostly Lies

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-02-02 11:47:38

At 2/2/10 10:51 AM, Zerok wrote:
Has this forum established an advertise-story thread, or it's just allowing writers to go nuts? I ask because I've started a blog that will be published weekly; it's not a personal hey-look-at-my-boring-life blog, I've actually been contracted to do it for my MBA program. Soooo I'll actually be able to flex those somewhat sleepy writing muscles regularly, if only for ~700 words at a time.

If you are going to be submitting a bunch of things then make a thread that you will be posting all of your work in.

I'm a bit wary when it comes to sharing it on NG though, lots of personal (not just me, other folks) info there, but they really want it to be read and commented on (but most of NG isn't the target audience... but people who frequent a writing forum? Much more likely).

I would recommend at the very least taking out all last names, but if you are feeling real anal about it I would just change their names all together. Even if newgrounds isn't the target audience I think you might find the writing forum a bit different that the usual general audience that you find on the website.

It might also be something you better find fitting for this thread.

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1140 923