Be a Supporter!
Echo
Echo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Vocals Jan. 26th, 2010 @ 12:29 PM Reply

Hey guys, i was wondering, is there any way to have an mp3 and to extract only the vocals from it, completely eliminating the background music? I searched around google for a way but the few tutorials i found dont work :S

If any one knows how to do this, pls tell me so that i can try it out.

Tks ;)

Darklight17

loansindi
loansindi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to Vocals Jan. 26th, 2010 @ 12:30 PM Reply

At 1/26/10 12:29 PM, Darklight17 wrote: Hey guys, i was wondering, is there any way to have an mp3 and to extract only the vocals from it, completely eliminating the background music?

No.

Mich
Mich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Musician
Response to Vocals Jan. 26th, 2010 @ 12:31 PM Reply

Unless you have the same music track, without the music, at exactly the same bitrate and sample rate, you can not extract the vocals from it.

There might be people who claim it is possible; that would be by some extensive (if that's the right word) filtering, which would take shitloads of work, and even then, the quality of the vocals would be rather crappy, and you'd still hear chunks of the background music.

Sorry.

Chaz
Chaz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Artist
Response to Vocals Jan. 26th, 2010 @ 03:32 PM Reply

At 1/26/10 12:30 PM, loansindi wrote:
At 1/26/10 12:29 PM, Darklight17 wrote: Hey guys, i was wondering, is there any way to have an mp3 and to extract only the vocals from it, completely eliminating the background music?
No.

lawl.

Would've thought the same method applies to most other similar audio programs.

BBS Signature
loansindi
loansindi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to Vocals Jan. 26th, 2010 @ 04:08 PM Reply

At 1/26/10 03:32 PM, Chaz wrote: Would've thought the same method applies to most other similar audio programs.
This shows you how to extract vocals from a song to create an acapella version using inversions. You need the full version of the song as well as an instrumental one.

I doubt the OP happens to have that.

Mich
Mich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Musician
Response to Vocals Jan. 26th, 2010 @ 04:21 PM Reply

At 1/26/10 03:32 PM, Chaz wrote:
No.
lawl.

Perhaps you could read my post too.
"Unless you have the same music track, without the music, at exactly the same bitrate and sample rate, you can not extract the vocals from it."

Where I obviously meant "without the vocals" on that note.

SessileNomad
SessileNomad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Vocals Jan. 27th, 2010 @ 07:02 AM Reply

At 1/26/10 03:32 PM, Chaz wrote:
No.
lawl.

you dont read much do you?

Stupor
Stupor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Vocals Jan. 27th, 2010 @ 07:32 AM Reply

How come nobody's mentioned the two words that are always associated with vocal separation? As in, "phase inversion"? You know, canceling out all panned sounds and hoping (in vain) that the vocals are the only sounds in the center?

Here's an experiment: Bake a delicious cake, then remove the eggs.

Sometimes, it would rain men. "Hallelujah!", we would cry. Thousands were killed.

Mich
Mich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Musician
Response to Vocals Jan. 27th, 2010 @ 07:35 AM Reply

At 1/27/10 07:32 AM, Stupor wrote: How come nobody's mentioned the two words that are always associated with vocal separation? As in, "phase inversion"? You know, canceling out all panned sounds and hoping (in vain) that the vocals are the only sounds in the center?

The problem with that is that there are usually other sounds that are completely panned to the center. I'm thinking kickdrums or bass. That and vocals are not always completely mono.

Here's an experiment: Bake a delicious cake, then remove the eggs.

That's a good analogy to remember for this, haha.

jeffamphetamines
jeffamphetamines
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Vocals Jan. 27th, 2010 @ 02:45 PM Reply

cakewalks vocal remover vst.