WhoIsPaul
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Feb. 23rd, 2010 @ 11:50 PM Reply

Thanks.

I don't care if people know me. I'm just there. I'm like the lead
based paint in a Chinese sweat shop. There.

ArmouredGRIFFON
ArmouredGRIFFON
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Reader
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Feb. 24th, 2010 @ 11:44 AM Reply

At 2/23/10 06:36 PM, WaterShake wrote:
At 2/22/10 07:14 PM, WhoIsPaul wrote: I don't know much about about fitness, but i want to know the best way to get abs and how to burn fat and if you have the answer, how long would said exercise take to get abs?
There isn't really a shortcut to a 6-pac, it takes patience and dedication, and also maintenance. So unless you're willing to commit to an exercise plan that is long term, you won't be able to get you're aforementioned "abs" : /

My friend got abs in just under a month purely by running for 1 hour and 30 minutes a day. and doing 10 minutes of crunches, abs, strength training.

Your friendly neighbourhood devils advocate.

BBS Signature
WhoIsPaul
WhoIsPaul
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Feb. 24th, 2010 @ 05:39 PM Reply

At 2/24/10 11:44 AM, ArmouredGRIFFON wrote:
My friend got abs in just under a month purely by running for 1 hour and 30 minutes a day. and doing 10 minutes of crunches, abs, strength training.

I have time, but not an hour and a half. Maybe an hour a day.

ArmouredGRIFFON
ArmouredGRIFFON
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Reader
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Feb. 24th, 2010 @ 06:06 PM Reply

At 2/24/10 05:39 PM, WhoIsPaul wrote:
At 2/24/10 11:44 AM, ArmouredGRIFFON wrote:

That's fine. Keep that up with a controlled diet. Mind you, better exercises are full body exercises, such as martial arts, swimming.etc.

BBS Signature
WhoIsPaul
WhoIsPaul
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Feb. 24th, 2010 @ 06:08 PM Reply

At 2/24/10 06:06 PM, ArmouredGRIFFON wrote:
At 2/24/10 05:39 PM, WhoIsPaul wrote:

That's fine. Keep that up with a controlled diet. Mind you, better exercises are full body exercises, such as martial arts, swimming.etc.

Yeah...I just want to work on my upper body mostly. My abs, biceps, triceps, and pecs.

Elfer
Elfer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Feb. 25th, 2010 @ 11:08 AM Reply

It really depends on your body type. Some people get results fast, others it can take months.

The point is that you'll improve gradually, which should be what you aim for. You should exercise because it's part of a healthy lifestyle, not just for specific goals.

ArmouredGRIFFON
ArmouredGRIFFON
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Reader
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Feb. 25th, 2010 @ 01:21 PM Reply

Right I used to have some cheap Holland and Barrets Whey protien. But I thought I'd break for something which has a bit more of a kick. 2.6kg of BSN TRUUEE MAASSS. So I'll tell you how it goes and if it's worth it.

BBS Signature
WhoIsPaul
WhoIsPaul
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Feb. 25th, 2010 @ 05:14 PM Reply

When you start to workout, you will lose weight, but after you start to build muscles, the weight will come back, right?

Nev
Nev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Feb. 25th, 2010 @ 05:18 PM Reply

At 2/25/10 05:14 PM, WhoIsPaul wrote: When you start to workout, you will lose weight, but after you start to build muscles, the weight will come back, right?

Muscle weighs more than fat, so yes.

Metal Hell ## Guitarists ## Stand Up Comedy
PSN: Look-a-Hill
Somewhere Over the Rainbow

BBS Signature
WhoIsPaul
WhoIsPaul
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Feb. 25th, 2010 @ 05:24 PM Reply

At 2/25/10 05:18 PM, Nev wrote:
At 2/25/10 05:14 PM, WhoIsPaul wrote: When you start to workout, you will lose weight, but after you start to build muscles, the weight will come back, right?
Muscle weighs more than fat, so yes.

Thanks. And if you work out for half an hour a day, is that enough to build muscle, because if now, i will workout longer.

Quinny
Quinny
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Gamer
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Feb. 25th, 2010 @ 05:34 PM Reply

My knee is still bugging me after Monday night. Hopefully it'll be alright for next week. Also, I hope more girls start turning up. It's a bloody sausage fest at the minute.

TEABAGGIN' AIN'T EASY

English Gents Club | 5th on PS3 Trophy Leaderboard | PSN: KillSwitch_Bob | Sig by Ryan

BBS Signature
Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Filmmaker
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Feb. 25th, 2010 @ 05:38 PM Reply

At 2/25/10 05:24 PM, WhoIsPaul wrote:
Thanks. And if you work out for half an hour a day, is that enough to build muscle, because if now, i will workout longer.

It really depends. I see some people down at the gym for two hours straight. I personally workout for about a half hour. It's all about the quality of your workout. If you give 100 percent and really do the workouts like they are suppose to then they really don't take that much time.

I also like to workout fast though. I probably do the same amount that those people do in an hour or two, but I don't take breaks. I feel like the fast pace helps with conditioning. So basically, with every question that you ask the question will probably be it depends on how well and what you are doing.

BBS Signature
WhoIsPaul
WhoIsPaul
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Feb. 25th, 2010 @ 05:42 PM Reply

So form is everything?

Elfer
Elfer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Feb. 26th, 2010 @ 01:47 PM Reply

At 2/25/10 05:42 PM, WhoIsPaul wrote: So form is everything?

Form is important, but basically the point is that you can build muscle in a half hour a day, as long as it's an intense half hour.

Obvious-M
Obvious-M
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Feb. 26th, 2010 @ 02:35 PM Reply

At 2/25/10 05:38 PM, Fro wrote: I also like to workout fast though. I probably do the same amount that those people do in an hour or two, but I don't take breaks. I feel like the fast pace helps with conditioning. So basically, with every question that you ask the question will probably be it depends on how well and what you are doing.

I assumed the slower you do something the better a workout it is, instead of speeding your reps, take each one at a constant pace.

Gamertag- MarshallxDav | Steam ID- Eshneh | LastFM- MarshallNPK

BBS Signature
Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Filmmaker
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Feb. 26th, 2010 @ 03:28 PM Reply

At 2/26/10 02:35 PM, Obvious-M wrote:
I assumed the slower you do something the better a workout it is, instead of speeding your reps, take each one at a constant pace.

I never said I take my reps fast; I just got done stressing quality over quantity. I said my overall workout is fast. I don't take breaks in between and I just go from one thing to another. It helps with endurance or at least it's never failed me. Our bodies react differently to different workouts. Mine must be working for me.

Bench:

225 X 19

Sweet, my goal was only 18 so I'm still 1 rep ahead of schedule. I think I would have gotten the 20th one, but my spotter thought I was done and grabbed the bar half way down making me reset. Next weeks goal will be 19, but I'm assuming if I'm on pace I'll get 20.

BBS Signature
ArmouredGRIFFON
ArmouredGRIFFON
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Reader
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Feb. 26th, 2010 @ 04:19 PM Reply

I'm loosing size on my pecks but I've been doing much more exercise, and I've upped my diet... Anybody care to explain. Could be some effect on toning.

BBS Signature
WhoIsPaul
WhoIsPaul
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Feb. 27th, 2010 @ 03:35 PM Reply

What all do push ups do? What muscles do they work out.

Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Filmmaker
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Feb. 27th, 2010 @ 03:52 PM Reply

At 2/26/10 04:19 PM, ArmouredGRIFFON wrote: I'm loosing size on my pecks but I've been doing much more exercise, and I've upped my diet... Anybody care to explain. Could be some effect on toning.

Hm, if you're talking about weights then you'll want to increase the weight/repetition that your doing. Heavier weights usually equal bigger muscles and more reps equal more definition.

At 2/27/10 03:35 PM, WhoIsPaul wrote: What all do push ups do? What muscles do they work out.

The push motion is mostly triceps. You'll also be working out chest and certain parts of your shoulders as well. The laterals get a workout as well. Tighten the abs while you do them and you can get a small ab workout along with them.

They don't workout your biceps though. You get those by a curling motion.

BBS Signature
WhoIsPaul
WhoIsPaul
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Feb. 27th, 2010 @ 08:29 PM Reply

My workout is as follows:
50 sit ups followed by twenty push ups
Then, i go for a twenty minute and repeat two or three times.

Is that good for just starting out?

ArmouredGRIFFON
ArmouredGRIFFON
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Reader
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Feb. 28th, 2010 @ 08:09 AM Reply

Fro said something

Yeah when you exercise for a while you eventually learn what motions work what muscle, because the essential thing to do when you are working targeted muscles is to look at the body mechanics of what your doing.

BBS Signature
Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Filmmaker
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Feb. 28th, 2010 @ 08:38 AM Reply

At 2/27/10 08:29 PM, WhoIsPaul wrote: My workout is as follows:
50 sit ups followed by twenty push ups
Then, i go for a twenty minute and repeat two or three times.

Is that good for just starting out?

Hm, sit ups only get one of the areas of your abs. You won't get the lower section and your sides if you just do sit ups.

Try this.

Lay flat on your back with your arms to your side. Lock your knees out and swing your legs up until they are vertical in the air. (I don't want to call it a swing because your not actually swinging as it's a slow controlled motion, but it represents the motion the best) This will get your lower abs.

Add these as well.

Get into a position where you would do crunches. With each arm behind your head take your right elbow and come up to touch your left knee, go back down, take your left elbow and come up to touch your right knee. This will get a lot of the in between muscles.

Last, but not least.

Lay on your side with your legs curled slightly to your back. Proceed to do something that I can only explain as a side crunch. It will probably feel awkward and you won't be able to go to far on it, but you'll know when your doing it right when you get the nice burn just like all the rest of these things.

Plus I sent you a copy of the P90X Ab Ripper X didn't I? That will get all of these groups + ones that you didn't know existed.

BBS Signature
Leo625
Leo625
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Feb. 28th, 2010 @ 12:00 PM Reply

At 2/27/10 03:35 PM, WhoIsPaul wrote: What all do push ups do? What muscles do they work out.

The primary muscles worked are chest, triceps, and deltoids. Pushups are really a great exercise for building upper body. I usually do them with a weighted vest on.

Also for the person that asked, it's Brazilian Jujitsu I train in. At the place I go they also incorporate alot of body weight strength training exercises into the sessions to help bulk muscle, that's where I get most of my exercise.

However I'm moving to Georgia in a couple months and my cousin up there is an avid gym goer and will be buggin me to go with em, plus I won't be able to continue my martial arts training because there's nothing like that around that part of Georgia. So I'll probably break past my barrier and start lifting weights.

DISCLAIMER: I was not sober during the making of this post.

BBS Signature
WhoIsPaul
WhoIsPaul
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Feb. 28th, 2010 @ 12:58 PM Reply

At 2/28/10 08:38 AM, Fro wrote:
Lay flat on your back with your arms to your side. Lock your knees out and swing your legs up until they are vertical in the air. (I don't want to call it a swing because your not actually swinging as it's a slow controlled motion, but it represents the motion the best) This will get your lower abs.

So i lift my legs up and down while i am laying on my back slowly? That's what i think you said.

Add these as well.

Get into a position where you would do crunches. With each arm behind your head take your right elbow and come up to touch your left knee, go back down, take your left elbow and come up to touch your right knee. This will get a lot of the in between muscles.

I understand this one.

Last, but not least.

Lay on your side with your legs curled slightly to your back. Proceed to do something that I can only explain as a side crunch. It will probably feel awkward and you won't be able to go to far on it, but you'll know when your doing it right when you get the nice burn just like all the rest of these things.

Are these like side crunches.

Plus I sent you a copy of the P90X Ab Ripper X didn't I? That will get all of these groups + ones that you didn't know existed.

Yes i did. Thank you. I am just getting my first look into the exercise world so thank you for helping me out.

Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Filmmaker
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Feb. 28th, 2010 @ 01:10 PM Reply

Here are the top ten ab exercises. Notice that normal crunches and sit ups aren't even on the list simply because they aren't that effective.

http://exercise.about.com/od/abs/ss/abex ercises.htm

This will show you a nice picture and explanation of the side exercises.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/abdom inalcorestrength1/qt/oblique_crunch.htm

Also, when doing push ups add some where your hands are very close together. Even touching if you want to. This will work the triceps more than the traditional one. Triceps are the most important muscles in my opinion, but that's coming from someone who benches a lot and needs strong triceps.

BBS Signature
Zack
Zack
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Mar. 1st, 2010 @ 12:37 AM Reply

At 2/23/10 08:49 PM, Fro wrote: Hm, you do realize that he's flexing his bicep, which in return makes the tricep relax making it smaller than if it were regularly just there. To flex the tricep he would have to straighten or relax the bicep. There really isn't any way to tell that his tricep is underdeveloped in this picture.

Yes actually I can considering his has next to no 'hang' on his triceps in that pose. If he had even moderately developed triceps there would at least some 'hang' present but in his picture there is none.

"Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds."
~Henry Rollins

BBS Signature
Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Filmmaker
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Mar. 2nd, 2010 @ 04:37 PM Reply

At 3/1/10 12:37 AM, Zack wrote:
Yes actually I can considering his has next to no 'hang' on his triceps in that pose. If he had even moderately developed triceps there would at least some 'hang' present but in his picture there is none.

Hang could also be nothing but fat if you take that into consideration. Size has nothing to do with strength anyway. I'm by far one of the smallest people in the gym, but yet I can lift better than almost every single person there. I'm not sticking up for him by any means though. He came in cocky.

I had a great workout tonight. My arms are swollen and puffy and it's hard to type this without shaking. My bench is still on pace and I'm impressed that it's been like this for so long.

Bench:

270 X 5
280 X 4
290 X 4

Keeping in mind that I'm talking about pounds and on my last set I do at least three, but I keep going if I can. I'm pretty happy that my last set resulted in 5 more pounds and one more rep than last week. Next week's workout will go as the following.

Bench:

275 X 5
285 X 4
290 X 3+

BBS Signature
Elfer
Elfer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Mar. 2nd, 2010 @ 06:18 PM Reply

At 2/22/10 03:14 PM, Leo625 wrote: I'm aware of that but my point is you don't need to lift weights to get a good physique, maybe not a Arnold Schwarzenegger or "hercules" type physique but still very strong, toned, agile, and sexy. I just do JuJitsu, Judo, and body weight strength training exercises.

What you're saying is technically true, but you don't need to be a dick about it. The people here who are lifting weights could also get a good physique without ever doing martial arts.

I lift weights pretty rarely these days, but that's not to say I didn't in the past, and I'd certainly say that it helped me build a good base of strength that I can use in climbing. Weights are also good for off-seasons and for breaking plateaus.

There's all sorts of ways you can go about this, and anyone who's getting fit isn't doing it the wrong way.

ArmouredGRIFFON
ArmouredGRIFFON
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Reader
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Mar. 2nd, 2010 @ 06:43 PM Reply

Fro what kind of weights do you use on your bench? Like, 2x50kg irons or something like that. Does adding weight on in a different way, i.e. lifting 6x10kg's instead of 3x30kg's, make a true noticeable difference for anybody? In theory it would put more momentum on the bar if you had more of a pivot, but that's not to necessarily say it will feel like your lifting 'more'. I haven't tested that out.

If somebody could help out in changing how you put the weights on your barbell or whatever, so that you have more weight spread across a larger surface area pressed on the bar, just to see if it gives a better/harder workout on average, that would be handy information. Unless somebody knows the answer of course.

BBS Signature
ArmouredGRIFFON
ArmouredGRIFFON
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Reader
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Mar. 2nd, 2010 @ 06:47 PM Reply

Also hard to hear your having to give up the Jits Leo. You should try some kind of classes if you are going to miss it. Of course you probably know this but I wouldn't recommend a freestyle training partner unsupervised. Some of the techniques can snap bones in the slightest movement because of the nature of Jujitsu (if you do them wrong 'or sometimes right'), and you have to be VERY careful not to do each other any permanent damage.

I have a website about Jujitsu I will PM to you in case you ever feel like reviewing some basic principles.

BBS Signature