Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Filmmaker
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2010-02-12 15:35:31 Reply

At 2/11/10 11:38 PM, Jercurpac wrote:
Okay, they don't have to tell the truth, but they're still held to the same standards as everyone else and if you lie about the nutritional values they're going to get caught eventually. The nutritional supplement industry is pretty notorious for having useless products that often border on dangerous to take and doing pretty much anything to make you think the product is going to make you look fantastic with no effort. Stick to the major brands though and do a little research and you should be safe.

Yeah, I didn't mean to come off as in that you shouldn't trust them, but I was just trying to make people aware that they can very well lie on it if they wanted and get away with it for years at a time.

Referring to your comment about the product is going to make you look fantastic with no effort, I have a friend who use to take steroids, something that I wouldn't even think about doing. He thought that they worked without going to the gym. Skipping to the end of the story, 30 pounds of fat added on and slight depression.

At 2/12/10 12:35 AM, fleurdelys wrote:
I am a Vegan and typically swim 30-45mins 3 or 4 x per week and run 5ks some weekends.

I love swimming and sadly I haven't been able to lately because of some foot surgery. Now that the wounds are healed up though I plan on going whenever I can when the weather gets warmer.

To my gym related news.

Bench:
225 X 16

I felt really good today and almost got my 17th rep up. Number 17 should come easily next week and then I'm starting to get back to my original form of 19 reps. I'm hoping that I can cross into the 20's for the first time this semester.

I also weighed in at 204 pounds today.

BBS Signature
ViZi
ViZi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2010-02-12 19:54:56 Reply

Nice club here. Can I join :)

I have about 20 pounds of excess fat from the holdays that I just now started bothering to work on.
Right now I'm still a little lazy so I just do 10 reps of 25 sit-ups and all I have are some 10-pound weights that I borrowed from a friend. I do reps of 30 when I do those.

Aside from all of that fitness stuff, what kind of diet should you have to remain healthy? I don't eat lots of meat and I drink water about 2 days out the week. Now that I've started exercising should I start eating meat again?

Nev
Nev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2010-02-12 20:05:20 Reply

At 2/12/10 07:54 PM, ViZi wrote: Now that I've started exercising should I start eating meat again?

Definately. Especially if you're lifting weights.
Meats = protein. And muscles love that protein.

Metal Hell ## Guitarists ## Stand Up Comedy
PSN: Look-a-Hill
Somewhere Over the Rainbow

BBS Signature
ArmouredGRIFFON
ArmouredGRIFFON
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Reader
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2010-02-13 08:18:06 Reply

At 2/12/10 08:05 PM, Nev wrote:
At 2/12/10 07:54 PM, ViZi wrote: Now that I've started exercising should I start eating meat again?

And if you want to burn off fat excessively, a way to do that is to dramatically reduce your carb intake.

Eat basic foods and meats. No chocolate or crisps or junk.

That means eat porridge for breakfast.
Protien up for lunch (perhaps with 2 tins worth tuna sandwiches YUMMY).
Turkey Steak and Salad for dinner.

Exercise excessively in between.

Your friendly neighbourhood devils advocate.

BBS Signature
ViZi
ViZi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2010-02-13 21:00:28 Reply

At 2/13/10 08:18 AM, ArmouredGRIFFON wrote:
At 2/12/10 08:05 PM, Nev wrote:
And if you want to burn off fat excessively, a way to do that is to dramatically reduce your carb intake.

Eat basic foods and meats. No chocolate or crisps or junk.

That means eat porridge for breakfast.
Protien up for lunch (perhaps with 2 tins worth tuna sandwiches YUMMY).
Turkey Steak and Salad for dinner.

Exercise excessively in between.

Thanks to both of you for your comments. I have been eating a lot of salad lately because I've been craving it sort of anyway. Like I said before, with the meat I do eat I usually have ground turkey.

Jercurpac
Jercurpac
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Melancholy
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2010-02-13 23:53:33 Reply

At 2/13/10 09:00 PM, ViZi wrote: Thanks to both of you for your comments. I have been eating a lot of salad lately because I've been craving it sort of anyway. Like I said before, with the meat I do eat I usually have ground turkey.

To be more specific you should shoot for about .7 to 1.0g of protein for every kg you weigh. If you get down to your target weight and you're actively trying to build more muscle you can increase your protein intake to the 1.0 to 1.5g per kg range. Your body doesn't store protein effectively so ideally you'll want to spread that over the course of five or six meals throughout the day. Most people are pretty conditioned to the three mean schedule so I wouldn't get too worked up over it unless you're serious about body building.

Happy with what you have to be happy with
you have to be happy with what you have
to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature
WaterShake
WaterShake
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Artist
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2010-02-14 06:14:34 Reply

Okay i've searched the web but without much luck so I figured I should check if anyone here had any advice.

Basically:

For the past few months I've been running 5-8K each day and I'd say i'm in ok shape. But i'm interested in increasing my running distance to 10k. So i had a look at the Nike+ coaching programs and signed up for the 5-10K one.

The programs suggesting i run 8K on tuesday, but i'm not sure how to run it.

So has anyone got any advice on a decent pace for it and some general tips for how to complete it.

Also on a side note , I usually get a little bit of pain roughly behind my shins when I run , does anyone know how to stop , avoid that.

nobody goes there anymore. its too popular.

BBS Signature
ViZi
ViZi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2010-02-14 10:30:28 Reply

At 2/14/10 06:14 AM, WaterShake wrote: Also on a side note , I usually get a little bit of pain roughly behind my shins when I run , does anyone know how to stop , avoid that.

Usually when you get pain behind your shins(calves) it's because your not taking big enough strides when you run. That means that you use that muscle very often and your foot moves back and forth. The only way I could think to try and help would be to practice at a faster pace.

Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Filmmaker
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2010-02-14 10:42:02 Reply

At 2/14/10 06:14 AM, WaterShake wrote:
Also on a side note , I usually get a little bit of pain roughly behind my shins when I run , does anyone know how to stop , avoid that.

Shin splints! Fun!

They actually have some shin/calf things that you can wear that will prevent this from happening and it will also get rid of the pain if you already have them.

My best way of getting rid of them, and it always made it feel better, was to do calf raises on a leg press machine in the weight room. If you don't have a weight room to use that just do them on the ground wherever by raising up on your toes repeatedly.

Common sense ways of taking care of it would be icing and Advil. Both get rid of the inflammation. Trainers will recommend rest from running, but you can simply bike to or swim without the discomfort. They recommend the weight thing (the calf raises that I mentioned before) as well.

It can be caused by running on hard surfaces and wearing bad running shoes.

BBS Signature
WaterShake
WaterShake
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Artist
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2010-02-14 10:45:27 Reply

At 2/14/10 10:30 AM, ViZi wrote:
At 2/14/10 06:14 AM, WaterShake wrote: Also on a side note , I usually get a little bit of pain roughly behind my shins when I run , does anyone know how to stop , avoid that.
Usually when you get pain behind your shins(calves) it's because your not taking big enough strides when you run. That means that you use that muscle very often and your foot moves back and forth. The only way I could think to try and help would be to practice at a faster pace.

Actually now that you mention it , my past two runs have been at faster paces and it's not as bad as it was before.

BBS Signature
WaterShake
WaterShake
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Artist
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2010-02-14 10:49:29 Reply

At 2/14/10 10:42 AM, Fro wrote:
At 2/14/10 06:14 AM, WaterShake wrote:
Shin splints! Fun!

They actually have some shin/calf things that you can wear that will prevent this from happening and it will also get rid of the pain if you already have them.

My best way of getting rid of them, and it always made it feel better, was to do calf raises on a leg press machine in the weight room. If you don't have a weight room to use that just do them on the ground wherever by raising up on your toes repeatedly.

Common sense ways of taking care of it would be icing and Advil. Both get rid of the inflammation. Trainers will recommend rest from running, but you can simply bike to or swim without the discomfort. They recommend the weight thing (the calf raises that I mentioned before) as well.

It can be caused by running on hard surfaces and wearing bad running shoes.

I've recently moved ( to Dubai ) so haven't joined up to a gym yet.

I usually go for a swim after my runs to cool down and stretch out and it helps quite a lot.

I think my running shoes are okay , went to one of those stores where they recommend shoes based on your feet etc.

And the hard surfaces thing makes sense, i'm used to running on a treadmill but since i've moved i've been running outside.

Thanks for the knowledge , any tips for pacing etc for an 8K?

BBS Signature
Quinny
Quinny
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Gamer
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2010-02-14 11:02:35 Reply

Only been swimming once this week. Didn't have the motivation to go again. Need to ring up and pay for another 6 weeks of gymnastics tomorrow. Looking foward to it as I can do pikes into the pit now ^^

TEABAGGIN' AIN'T EASY

English Gents Club | 5th on PS3 Trophy Leaderboard | PSN: KillSwitch_Bob | Sig by Ryan

BBS Signature
Brick-top
Brick-top
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2010-02-14 18:27:01 Reply

I'm not sure if I want to join (but I will favourite the page and return later).

But I would like to share some of the things that helped me burn off 50lbs and make me feel healthier (says the chain smoker).

My work involves a lot of running and lifting (and it's not robbing banks) so about 6-8 hours on my feet per day will burn the calories especially when wearing the steel bastardery boots, but I found walking can be very therapeutic especially if you bring an Ipod/Archos/Phone or an audio-book. Just walking home from (where ever) listening to something and alone with your thoughts a lot nicer than it sounds.

Staying active and doing "productive things" at home can help. I wont be expecting a 6-pack but it beats watching TV. I spent 5 hours yesterday just doing things, like rebuilding the drawers, moving the cooker, carrying stuff into the attic etc.

The clubs a nice idea and I hope it stays open because it's a good place for people to share ideas and keep a permanent record of their progress.

WaterShake
WaterShake
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Artist
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2010-02-14 20:58:56 Reply

For any regular distance runner i.e at least 3K + I would highly recommend nike+ipod

It's a little chip that you attach to your shoes. It tracks your pace distance etc. But the best thing about it is the online community. You can track your own progress , set yourself challenges , join teams and meet other runners.

I got mine at the beginning of February , and i'm loving it. Total distance racked up with it so far is just over 70K.

BBS Signature
NakorBlueRider
NakorBlueRider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2010-02-14 22:35:32 Reply

^ That does seem interesting. I wonder if there's anything out there equivalent for non-iPod users.

I've been running most days for a couple months now. I'm not overweight (Age 25, 6'1", 160lbs) but I am out of shape, so I'm mostly just trying to do cardio. I do about 5km of hills and valleys around my house, about half of which I manage to run (walk what I can't). My trouble is on inclines, I burn out rather quickly going uphill. Other than that I do bicep curls and overhead lifts with dumbbells I have (usually 3x15 of each exercise with 15lb weights) and heel lifts to improve my calves. (I have a bit of trouble with them, in part because I've recently begun using a heel lift on my left leg to correct a difference of 15mm between my legs, and have been seeing a chiropractor to correct back problems that has caused.)

Once things warm up a bit I plan to get back on my bike as well.

The little strength training I do isn't with any particular goal in mind, it's just that I had gotten a little frustrated with my arm strength and decided to do something about it. Also I fractured my arm back in April last year and it was helping get it back up to speed. (I've been lifting weights for longer than I've been running.)

WaterShake
WaterShake
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Artist
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2010-02-15 09:05:25 Reply

At 2/14/10 10:35 PM, NakorBlueRider wrote: ^ That does seem interesting. I wonder if there's anything out there equivalent for non-iPod users.

I've been running most days for a couple months now. I'm not overweight (Age 25, 6'1", 160lbs) but I am out of shape, so I'm mostly just trying to do cardio. I do about 5km of hills and valleys around my house, about half of which I manage to run (walk what I can't). My trouble is on inclines, I burn out rather quickly going uphill.

Keep at it man :) Running gets you in shape really quickly. If you really want to test yourself then try doing interval or spike training, ie. sprint 1 min jog for 3, repeat until distance is complete.

You should notice an improvement in stamina etc fairly soon if you keep it up.

And i'll look into non ipod systems.

BBS Signature
WaterShake
WaterShake
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Artist
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2010-02-15 15:16:29 Reply

Hey, just wondering if I can become an official member of this club?

BBS Signature
Canas
Canas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Artist
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2010-02-15 16:31:59 Reply

At 2/15/10 03:16 PM, WaterShake wrote: Hey, just wondering if I can become an official member of this club?

If you post, you're a member. There's no requirements.

Welcome aboard

WaterShake
WaterShake
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Artist
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2010-02-15 16:59:11 Reply

Sweet :) , anyone got any tips on how to increase stamina for swimming.

I swim free style and I find it pretty exhausting , I could maybe go 250m before needing to take a little break.

BBS Signature
ArmouredGRIFFON
ArmouredGRIFFON
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Reader
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2010-02-15 18:38:11 Reply

At 2/15/10 04:59 PM, WaterShake wrote: Sweet :) , anyone got any tips on how to increase stamina for swimming.

I swim free style and I find it pretty exhausting , I could maybe go 250m before needing to take a little break.

Swim more! Push yourself with your training! Perhaps work out different muscles in the gym, make sure you eat a good diet, drink countless amounts of water (I drink on average 6 litres a day), and you could try increasing overall stamina by running around the block a couple times until your flat out!

BBS Signature
WaterShake
WaterShake
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Artist
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2010-02-15 18:52:24 Reply

At 2/15/10 06:38 PM, ArmouredGRIFFON wrote:
At 2/15/10 04:59 PM, WaterShake wrote: Sweet :) , anyone got any tips on how to increase stamina for swimming.

Swim more! Push yourself with your training! Perhaps work out different muscles in the gym, make sure you eat a good diet, drink countless amounts of water (I drink on average 6 litres a day), and you could try increasing overall stamina by running around the block a couple times until your flat out!

I do my swimming after I've finished my 5K runs as a cooldown. My running stamina is fine , but I find it much harder to keep swimming. Other than diet improvements (which i'll take on board) is there anything else I can do to help?

BBS Signature
NakorBlueRider
NakorBlueRider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2010-02-15 19:04:34 Reply

Bought a pair of 20lb dumbbells today, managed 15/15/15 reps w/ my right arm, 15/15/12 with my left, so I think I'll make that a permanent upgrade. Shaky now though. But it sure made my sore wrist go away! Better than any pain killer ever did.

Was sick as a dog the last couple days, so couldn't run, but I'll be back on the road tomorrow... motivated in part by seeing geese in a pond just a smidge further out than I usually run, so I'm gonna bring my camera. ^_^

WaterShake
WaterShake
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Artist
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2010-02-15 19:38:06 Reply

At 2/15/10 07:04 PM, NakorBlueRider wrote:
Was sick as a dog the last couple days, so couldn't run, but I'll be back on the road tomorrow... motivated in part by seeing geese in a pond just a smidge further out than I usually run, so I'm gonna bring my camera. ^_^

I feel your pain hombre. Had a chronic ear infection for the past few days now, moving around the house hurts , so it's sort of temporarily sidelined my workout schedule.

Interestingly though , I caught it from swimming. As soon as this heals i'm gonna get some ear plugs or something , no way am i going through this again.

BBS Signature
Obvious-M
Obvious-M
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2010-02-15 20:45:07 Reply

I feel like I need to gain weight, to anyone else my age, they would say I'm ripped and stuff, but I look between skinny-medium weight while being toned.

Should I start eating a ton of shit to gain weight?

Gamertag- MarshallxDav | Steam ID- Eshneh | LastFM- MarshallNPK

BBS Signature
NakorBlueRider
NakorBlueRider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2010-02-15 21:09:03 Reply

At 2/15/10 08:45 PM, Obvious-M wrote: I feel like I need to gain weight, to anyone else my age, they would say I'm ripped and stuff, but I look between skinny-medium weight while being toned.

Should I start eating a ton of shit to gain weight?

No. If you want to bulk up a bit without fattening up:

1. If you can eat six smaller meals rather than three big ones. Slowly eating throughout the day is healthier, keeps your energy up, and keeps you from feeling too full.
2. Do some exercises. Focus on exercises that build up the areas you want. I was tired of my arms being thin and weak, so I got some dumbbells (Walmart carries these at usually around $1/lb or so) and started doing bicep curls and overhead lifts. You might want to work on the chest or stomach area... it's up to you.
3. Increase the good carbs in your diet, such as from fruits and whole grains. Try to minimize simple carbs like sugars.
4. If you exercise, increase your protein intake too. I've seen it recommended earlier in the thread to consume about 1-1.5g protein per kg you currently weigh.
5. Consider talking to your general practitioner (family doctor) for advice specific to you. This (your general fitness) is 100% part of their job, so don't hesitate to talk to them about healthy, safe ways to gain weight.

Do not consume fats or sugars to gain weight, because you'll just gain it in the wrong ways.

WaterShake
WaterShake
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Artist
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2010-02-15 21:09:05 Reply

Okay , well to start with , whats your current age , height and weight?

BBS Signature
NakorBlueRider
NakorBlueRider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2010-02-15 21:11:25 Reply

^ I should clarify when I say not to consume sugars, I refer to refined sugars. Fruits of course have fruit sugar, which is totally okay.

Obvious-M
Obvious-M
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2010-02-16 04:59:02 Reply

At 2/15/10 09:09 PM, WaterShake wrote: Okay , well to start with , whats your current age , height and weight?

16, 6" and 10.5 stone.

I already changed my diet so it's protein and carbs but it's having barely any effect, the workout has definetly increased my musclses, but If I keep on doing what I'm doing I'm going to end up like that youtube kid who has muscle dysphormia. :o

Gamertag- MarshallxDav | Steam ID- Eshneh | LastFM- MarshallNPK

BBS Signature
WaterShake
WaterShake
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Artist
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2010-02-16 05:17:16 Reply

At 2/16/10 04:59 AM, Obvious-M wrote: 16, 6" and 10.5 stone.

I already changed my diet so it's protein and carbs but it's having barely any effect, the workout has definetly increased my musclses, but If I keep on doing what I'm doing I'm going to end up like that youtube kid who has muscle dysphormia. :o

Well whats your current work out schedule?

BBS Signature
ArmouredGRIFFON
ArmouredGRIFFON
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Reader
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2010-02-16 07:53:47 Reply

At 2/16/10 05:17 AM, WaterShake wrote:
At 2/16/10 04:59 AM, Obvious-M wrote: 16, 6" and 10.5 stone.

Well whats your current work out schedule?

Take the carbs out of your diet. Only eat carbohydrates before and after exercise. I keep to a maximum of 60g carbs any exercise day. Give that a go for 2 weeks :)

BBS Signature