New Topic Respond to this Topic
Jacob
Jacob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Voice Actor
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Apr. 25th, 2013 @ 11:00 PM Reply

At 4/22/13 03:44 PM, saqwert wrote: I usually exceed my calorie limit needed for cutting. I thought I could make up for it by just doing cardio everyday and burning the excess calories.

Also, is this true
"Muscle comes from lifting, not from bulking.
You can gain muscle while cutting but eventually you'll hit a plateau and that's when you need to gain mass. Keep increasing your weights and stop cutting once you plateau."

I would recommend keeping one rest day, but it's true that adding cardio to your workout will allow you to eat a little extra.

However, I would recommend avoid jogging. Instead, do sprints, and walk or run in between them. It's a lot better on your joints, burns more calories, and adds muscle (while also raising your metabolism). It'll help a lot.

I voice act because I'm insecure about my weight.

BBS Signature
i-am-ghey
i-am-ghey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Melancholy
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym May. 5th, 2013 @ 10:15 AM Reply

i have another question: should cardio be done before or after weight training?

personally, i think it makes more sense to do cardio exercises after weight training (which is what i am doing). for me, i usually do not have the strength to complete weight training if cardio exercise is done first. i find it much easier to do weight training first.

from what i have heard, this has something to do with the blood glucose level. cardio exercise burns glucose, and after the workout, your body will not have enough blood glucose to complete weight training.

or is it inadvisable to complete both aerobic and strength training on the same day?

^Just another nonsensical forum post.^

Jacob
Jacob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Voice Actor
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym May. 13th, 2013 @ 08:20 PM Reply

At 5/5/13 10:15 AM, i-am-ghey wrote: i have another question: should cardio be done before or after weight training?

personally, i think it makes more sense to do cardio exercises after weight training (which is what i am doing). for me, i usually do not have the strength to complete weight training if cardio exercise is done first. i find it much easier to do weight training first.

from what i have heard, this has something to do with the blood glucose level. cardio exercise burns glucose, and after the workout, your body will not have enough blood glucose to complete weight training.

or is it inadvisable to complete both aerobic and strength training on the same day?

Well, seeing as weight training should usually encompass five or six days a week, you sort of have to do them on the same day.

Personally, I like to spread them out entirely. I might work on muscle building when I get home around 4pm, then do cardio before I go to bed around 10 or 11. It allows you to have plenty of energy for each.
Of course, some people would prefer to run in the morning, so there's that too.
But I just like running in the dark.

Either way though, doing them in succession will inevitably take something away from the other.

So, if you're planning on gaining muscle mass, weights come first.
If you're looking to burn fat, cardio comes first.

It's all about your focus.

BBS Signature
Randominator
Randominator
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym May. 23rd, 2013 @ 03:04 AM Reply

Got into weight training about 13 months ago , started squatting in August and it turns out i'm pretty good at this shit. In 6 weeks i'm hoping for a 200kg squat, 117.5kg bench press and 207.5kg deadlift at about 83kg bodyweight. The sort of training that worked best for me at the beginning was:

A
Squat 3x5
Bench 3x5
DB or BB row 3x5
+ab, tricep and some rear delt stuff 3x10/4x8

B
Deadlift 1x5
Front squat 3x5
Overhead Press 3x5
Pullups/chinups 3 x max

Basically like Rippetoe's Starting Strength and Practical Programming. I trained every other day, alternating workouts and adding 2.5kg to the bar every workout. Running 5/3/1 at the moment which is also an awesome program.

Pic unrelated

&gt;&gt;Fitness Club&lt;&lt; -- Newgrounds Gym

down on the upside

Shaun
Shaun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym May. 28th, 2013 @ 08:27 PM Reply

At 5/23/13 03:04 AM, Randominator wrote: Got into weight training about 13 months ago , started squatting in August and it turns out i'm pretty good at this shit. In 6 weeks i'm hoping for a 200kg squat, 117.5kg bench press and 207.5kg deadlift at about 83kg bodyweight. The sort of training that worked best for me at the beginning was:

200kg squat?? Video please.

// Sig Makers // WWE Fans // Tumblr //

BBS Signature
floatingsheep28
floatingsheep28
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Jun. 4th, 2013 @ 10:04 AM Reply

Hey there, Fitness Club.

Was wondering if it was better to do resistance first for about, let's say 15 minutes, then do 30 minutes of cardiovascular activity after.

Duration of exercise: 30 to 45 minutes

Objective: Maintenance

Jacob
Jacob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Voice Actor
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Jun. 9th, 2013 @ 04:03 AM Reply

At 6/4/13 10:04 AM, floatingsheep28 wrote: Hey there, Fitness Club.

Was wondering if it was better to do resistance first for about, let's say 15 minutes, then do 30 minutes of cardiovascular activity after.

Duration of exercise: 30 to 45 minutes

Objective: Maintenance

All depends on what you're looking for!
If you're focused on muscle, then spend a lot more time on resistance followed by cardio. If you're focused on fat loss and general cardiovascular health, do that first.

You will always be tired by the end of each workout, so you may as well prioritize accordingly.

Personally I put cardio on the backburner. If I still feel like moving after I've finished all of my weight training, I'll start in on it. But it's not honestly that important to me.

Fit it to your goals!

BBS Signature
Jacob
Jacob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Voice Actor
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Jun. 9th, 2013 @ 04:24 AM Reply

Finally got a good workout set up!
It's a double three day split.

Day 1: Legs/Lower back
Romanian Deadlift 4 x 6-8
Squat 4 x 6-8
Leg Curls 4 x 6-8
Leg Extensions 4 x 6-8
Standing Calf Raises 4 x 12
Seated Calf Raises 4 x 18

Day 2: Push! (Chest, triceps, front/center deltoid)
Flat Bench 4 x 6-8
Incline Bench 4 x 6-8
Flat Dumbbell Flyes 4 x 6-8
Decline Bench 4 x 6-8
Overhead Tricep Extension 4 x 6-8
Deltoid Lateral Raises 4 x 6-8
Flat Bench Burnout!

Day 3: Pull! (Back, biceps, rear deltoid)
Bent-over Barbell Rows 4 x 6-8
Pull-ups 4 x 6-8 (assisted at the moment)
Chin-ups 4 x 6-8 (also assisted; I have a weak back!)
Curl-bar 4 x 6-8
Preacher Curl Burnout!

Repeat.

I've been sort of working out since March, but until the past couple of weeks I've pretty much been stupid about it. After a lot of research, this is my current split. I also do 4-6 sets of crunches on those six days a week.
I'm taking Muscle Pharm: Assault as my only workout supplement, aside from Muscle Pharm's Creatine on my off days and some whey protein.
So far, so good! I'm bulking, and I'm excited to see where this goes.

To greatness!

BBS Signature
Randominator
Randominator
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Jun. 10th, 2013 @ 05:10 PM Reply

At 5/28/13 08:27 PM, Shaun wrote: 200kg squat?? Video please.

Ok

At 6/9/13 04:24 AM, Himynameisjacob wrote: Finally got a good workout set up!

Volume and frequency is too high. You will fatigue and I guarantee that you'll develop elbow or shoulder problems should you persist with it. It seems like a program such as Lyle Mcdonald's Generic Bulking Routine would be your sort of thing but if you insist on developing your own program, at least use one of these templates: http://www.exrx.net/Lists/WorkoutMenu.html

down on the upside

Jacob
Jacob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Voice Actor
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Jun. 10th, 2013 @ 05:13 PM Reply

At 6/10/13 05:10 PM, Randominator wrote:
At 5/28/13 08:27 PM, Shaun wrote: 200kg squat?? Video please.
Ok

At 6/9/13 04:24 AM, Himynameisjacob wrote: Finally got a good workout set up!
Volume and frequency is too high. You will fatigue and I guarantee that you'll develop elbow or shoulder problems should you persist with it. It seems like a program such as Lyle Mcdonald's Generic Bulking Routine would be your sort of thing but if you insist on developing your own program, at least use one of these templates: http://www.exrx.net/Lists/WorkoutMenu.html

The split is temporary, mostly for the summer. But as for being too much? I'm not even very sore the day after. I'm not too worried.

BBS Signature
Randominator
Randominator
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Jun. 10th, 2013 @ 05:40 PM Reply

At 6/10/13 05:13 PM, Himynameisjacob wrote: The split is temporary, mostly for the summer. But as for being too much? I'm not even very sore the day after. I'm not too worried.

Whatever, you'll feel like an idiot when it gets you nowhere. For your own sake, seriously consider what I said in my previous post- i'm qualified to give this kind of advice.

down on the upside

GACBassPlayer
GACBassPlayer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Melancholy
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Jun. 11th, 2013 @ 05:10 PM Reply

Yesterday I pulled 435 with 4 heavy 5/8" chains, roughly 500lbs at the top. Any big deadlifters in here?

GACBassPlayer
GACBassPlayer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Melancholy
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Jun. 11th, 2013 @ 05:27 PM Reply

At 12/6/12 09:38 AM, Saen wrote: I need a few effective exercises that isolate your hip muscles, preferably ones I can do at my apartment. I learned that my hip muscles will actually generate much more power and speed in my golf swings opposed to just my arm speed.

I can really only think of cable resistance exercises and 6 inch killers, but those don't really isolate your hips.

Best thing you can do for hip explosion is cleans from a hang. Don't shrug the bar off the bat. Drop your hips a few inches and use hip explosion to get the bar moving, then follow through with the traps after full hip extension. Keep the weight light until you find a good groove.

Shaun
Shaun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Jun. 28th, 2013 @ 12:26 PM Reply

At 6/11/13 05:10 PM, GACBassPlayer wrote: Yesterday I pulled 435 with 4 heavy 5/8" chains, roughly 500lbs at the top. Any big deadlifters in here?

Not even close to that.. I think max I do is 350lbs..
Do love deadlift but it isn't a huge focus at the moment. Don't want to go too heavy and hurt my back in rugby season.

// Sig Makers // WWE Fans // Tumblr //

BBS Signature
Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Dec. 4th, 2013 @ 04:55 AM Reply

Hey guys. Sorry to revive the old thread, but what sorta workout would you suggest who has never worked out before/pretty unfit?

Jacob
Jacob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Voice Actor
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Jun. 10th, 2014 @ 08:58 PM Reply

At 6/10/13 05:40 PM, Randominator wrote:
At 6/10/13 05:13 PM, Himynameisjacob wrote: The split is temporary, mostly for the summer. But as for being too much? I'm not even very sore the day after. I'm not too worried.
Whatever, you'll feel like an idiot when it gets you nowhere. For your own sake, seriously consider what I said in my previous post- i'm qualified to give this kind of advice.

This is where I was about seven months ago at 176lbs. I'm currently 210lbs, cutting down to a similar bodyfat%. I should be there at 195-200lbs.
I don't feel like an idiot.

&gt;&gt;Fitness Club&lt;&lt; -- Newgrounds Gym

BBS Signature
AliceN7
AliceN7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Jun. 13th, 2014 @ 02:20 PM Reply

Hey guys :) Just got a question, I do exercises 3 times a week and I exercise gym and running. But i'm woman and i dont want to look really muscular like man ;/ even now i have really wide shoulders ( after 2 month of gym- after only pumps lol) and if i only do exercise and don't have a diet with a lot of protein ( pasta, rice and chicken etc) and keep exercise on gym ( it means pumps and some exercises with dumbbells) will i only get wiry but not really muscular?? because it doesn't fit to woman ;D Really i need help, holiday are coming and i dont know if should keep do it, change something or stop it ;| I get muscular really fast...

"You can run like leopard, fight like a Krogan but you'd never be better than Commander Shepard" ;D

BBS Signature
Jacob
Jacob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Voice Actor
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Jun. 14th, 2014 @ 07:59 PM Reply

At 6/13/14 02:20 PM, AliceN7 wrote: Hey guys :) Just got a question, I do exercises 3 times a week and I exercise gym and running. But i'm woman and i dont want to look really muscular like man ;/ even now i have really wide shoulders ( after 2 month of gym- after only pumps lol) and if i only do exercise and don't have a diet with a lot of protein ( pasta, rice and chicken etc) and keep exercise on gym ( it means pumps and some exercises with dumbbells) will i only get wiry but not really muscular?? because it doesn't fit to woman ;D Really i need help, holiday are coming and i dont know if should keep do it, change something or stop it ;| I get muscular really fast...

Even female bodybuilders tend not to be particularly muscular, due to much lower levels of testosterone. So long as you maintain a healthy amount of body fat, you shouldn't become ripped or anything.
I would, however, recommend building muscle in certain areas, particularly legs. Increased muscularity in the lower body can help create disparity between the two halves, making your upper body appear slimmer by contrast.

Deadlift for the booty, squats for quads, calf raises for calves (lol), etc. Lunges and whatnot aren't a bad idea, either.

Don't worry about becoming too muscular. If it were that easy, every guy would be buff!

BBS Signature
AliceN7
AliceN7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Jun. 15th, 2014 @ 05:09 AM Reply

Yeah true, thank you for an advice ;P now let's go to the gym xD

"You can run like leopard, fight like a Krogan but you'd never be better than Commander Shepard" ;D

BBS Signature