New Topic Respond to this Topic
Saen
Saen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Reader
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Nov. 11th, 2012 @ 09:45 PM Reply

At 11/11/12 03:34 PM, Scarface wrote: How do you guys schedule your exercise?

I do upper body every other day, then lower body and cardio every other day. I made progress for a while doing this, but I feel like I've stopped, and I wondered if it was better to focus on one specific muscle group per day.

What do you guys do?

I work out my biceps, triceps, deltoids, and lats every morning, evening, and night 20 minutes each. As long as you're doing aerobic exercise you can work out any muscle you want every day.

If you're doing anaerobic lifting, then you should give whatever muscle you have worked out 3 days rest.

Scarface
Scarface
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Nov. 12th, 2012 @ 06:40 AM Reply

At 11/11/12 09:45 PM, Saen wrote: I work out my biceps, triceps, deltoids, and lats every morning, evening, and night 20 minutes each. As long as you're doing aerobic exercise you can work out any muscle you want every day.

If you're doing anaerobic lifting, then you should give whatever muscle you have worked out 3 days rest.

Is aerobic lifting several reps of a lighter weight, and anaerobic lifting a few reps of a heavier weight?

Rules of the BBS - Meme - Jeff
Thanks to Donut for the SIG!

BBS Signature
Shaun
Shaun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Nov. 12th, 2012 @ 08:52 AM Reply

At 11/11/12 03:34 PM, Scarface wrote: How do you guys schedule your exercise?

I do upper body every other day, then lower body and cardio every other day. I made progress for a while doing this, but I feel like I've stopped, and I wondered if it was better to focus on one specific muscle group per day.

What do you guys do?

lower body and cardio on the same day doesn't sound like much fun.. but eh.. each to their own.

My week is something like..
Monday - Bootcamp (cardio)
Tuesday - Chest/Tris
Wednesday - Oztag (cardio)
Thursday - Shoulders/Abs
Friday - Whole body
Saturday or Sunday - Legs

// Sig Makers // WWE Fans // Tumblr //

BBS Signature
Saen
Saen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Reader
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Nov. 12th, 2012 @ 01:10 PM Reply

At 11/12/12 06:40 AM, Scarface wrote:
At 11/11/12 09:45 PM, Saen wrote: I work out my biceps, triceps, deltoids, and lats every morning, evening, and night 20 minutes each. As long as you're doing aerobic exercise you can work out any muscle you want every day.

Is aerobic lifting several reps of a lighter weight, and anaerobic lifting a few reps of a heavier weight?

Yes. Anaerobic lifting typically works between 70-80% of your max lifting potential, 5-10 reps. Aerobic lifting typically involves 15%-50% of your max lifting potential with lots of reps, anywhere from 20 to as far as you can go.

Aerobic will create dense, toned, muscle while burning fat. Anaerobic lifting creates much more profound tears in your muscle, causing you to build up that muscle dramatically while gaining body mass.

Scarface
Scarface
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Nov. 12th, 2012 @ 05:44 PM Reply

At 11/12/12 08:52 AM, Shaun wrote: lower body and cardio on the same day doesn't sound like much fun.. but eh.. each to their own.

It's not too much of a struggle, but I usually take it a little light for cardio. However, I don't like doing that, hence why I'm trying to space out what I do throughout the week.

My week is something like..
Monday - Bootcamp (cardio)
Tuesday - Chest/Tris
Wednesday - Oztag (cardio)
Thursday - Shoulders/Abs
Friday - Whole body
Saturday or Sunday - Legs

What's the difference between Bootcamp cardio and Oztag cardio?

BBS Signature
Shaun
Shaun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Nov. 14th, 2012 @ 07:26 AM Reply

At 11/12/12 05:44 PM, Scarface wrote: What's the difference between Bootcamp cardio and Oztag cardio?

For bootcamp we basically do a circuit of like..
medball cleans, box jumps, ladder runs, rope swinging, tyre flips, etc. etc.
then we do sprints..
then we finish with an ab circuit.

where as oztag is just like touch football, its basically HIIT sprint training.

BBS Signature
Denton
Denton
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 59
Gamer
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Nov. 29th, 2012 @ 01:00 PM Reply

At 11/7/12 10:35 PM, Saen wrote:
Keep your back straight while flexing. Good posture actually tones muscle and subtracts from back pain. Otherwise you're looking great, girls love that groin muscle though, work on that!

Thanks, yeah i'll try but everyone has a time when someone loses motivation...this is one of those periods:(

It's impossible to use the bathroom in Denton's house, as not even his toilet paper takes shit from anyone.

BBS Signature
TB1ZZL3
TB1ZZL3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Nov. 29th, 2012 @ 01:38 PM Reply

What's the general consensus on the appropriate amount of cardio to be doing? I used to run/walk for half an hour on the treadmill for 30 mins, typically averaging about 2.05 miles (yeah yeah, I know), but when I developed a more solid routine I started doing cardio after weights and now I usually only have it in me to run a mile, typically in about 13 minutes.

For what it's worth, I recently started running at 7mph rather than the 5.5mph I used to be able to peak at.

Last.fm | Xbox LIVE - TEE B1ZZL3 | Steam

BBS Signature
Saen
Saen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Reader
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Nov. 29th, 2012 @ 10:29 PM Reply

At 11/29/12 01:38 PM, TB1ZZL3 wrote: What's the general consensus on the appropriate amount of cardio to be doing? I used to run/walk for half an hour on the treadmill for 30 mins, typically averaging about 2.05 miles (yeah yeah, I know), but when I developed a more solid routine I started doing cardio after weights and now I usually only have it in me to run a mile, typically in about 13 minutes.

For what it's worth, I recently started running at 7mph rather than the 5.5mph I used to be able to peak at.

You can always do more cardio. I to prefer to run before I lift to get the blood pumping and help me poop lol. If you want to boost your stamina for running, do some abb work. A strong core will help you breath easier, keep you from falling over while running, and will help you run farther. If you're running or jogging correctly, you should feel pressure in your abbs with each step.

Saen
Saen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Reader
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Nov. 29th, 2012 @ 11:55 PM Reply

At 11/29/12 01:00 PM, Denton wrote:
At 11/7/12 10:35 PM, Saen wrote:
Keep your back straight while flexing. Good posture actually tones muscle and subtracts from back pain. Otherwise you're looking great, girls love that groin muscle though, work on that!
Thanks, yeah i'll try but everyone has a time when someone loses motivation...this is one of those periods:(

A workout routine will really boost your self esteem. Even if it's just waking up 30mins earlier every morning to do some sit ups, planks, or six inch killers. If you work out in the morning just make sure you eat breakfast first, otherwise you may actually lose muscle.

Even if you have a shit day, you can say to yourself "well at least I worked out today!"

Shaun
Shaun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Nov. 30th, 2012 @ 09:02 AM Reply

At 11/29/12 01:38 PM, TB1ZZL3 wrote: What's the general consensus on the appropriate amount of cardio to be doing?

As much or as little as you like.
Don't need it at all if your lifting is high intensity.
Whatever works for you and your diet and goals.

BBS Signature
Saen
Saen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Reader
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Dec. 6th, 2012 @ 09:38 AM Reply

I need a few effective exercises that isolate your hip muscles, preferably ones I can do at my apartment. I learned that my hip muscles will actually generate much more power and speed in my golf swings opposed to just my arm speed.

I can really only think of cable resistance exercises and 6 inch killers, but those don't really isolate your hips.

Saen
Saen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Reader
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Dec. 6th, 2012 @ 10:02 PM Reply

At 12/6/12 10:57 AM, 24901miles wrote:

Seems like you could isolte them with one leg pinned down under a towel lashed between two heavy weights, while doing crunches/sit-ups with a free plate on your chest.

Crunches and sit ups work out just about your entire abdominal region. I have done thousands and have gained no muscle mass in my hips. I'm probably just going to have to find more time to work out in the gym after the semester is over and do hamstring exercises and resistance exercises.

Trying out a more hip-based swing on the range today was disastrous, I just couldn't find the consistency or distance so that was pretty discouraging.

Shaun
Shaun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Dec. 6th, 2012 @ 10:31 PM Reply

At 12/6/12 09:38 AM, Saen wrote: I need a few effective exercises that isolate your hip muscles, preferably ones I can do at my apartment. I learned that my hip muscles will actually generate much more power and speed in my golf swings opposed to just my arm speed.

squats, deadlifts, overhead lunges, leg raises.

BBS Signature
metalstorm
metalstorm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Dec. 12th, 2012 @ 10:17 AM Reply

At 11/12/12 01:10 PM, Saen wrote:
Aerobic will create dense, toned, muscle while burning fat. Anaerobic lifting creates much more profound tears in your muscle, causing you to build up that muscle dramatically while gaining body mass.

Aerobic resistance training is actually an incredibly inefficient way of burning fat. You would need to do tens of thousands of repetitions to see any measurable difference. If you were to exclusively train aerobically you would get very good at sets of 20+ reps at <60% 1RM but you would see very little in strength gains compared to if you were training anaerobically.

Muscle tone and density are both genetically determined. Two different training methods that work the same muscles and both encourage hypertrophy may not result in the same strength gains but aesthetically the results will be identical.

Aerobic resistance training has also been demonstrated to be an ineffective means of achieving muscular hypertrophy. In terms of the muscular adaptation it is more-or-less identical to doing marathon training and expecting that to get better at sprinting.

Muscular adaptations in response to three different resistance-training regimens: specificity of repetition maximum training zones

Should probably use more than one reference but this is Newgrounds and not uni and it is 2am

If you care to read through a 12 page journal artical, the following artical covers a lot of the stuff you need to know about the creation and progression of an effective resistance training program for whatever your goals are.

Fundamentals of Resistance Training: Progression and Exercise Prescription

Sig by madknt
Sig pinkified by jackmorrison

BBS Signature
metalstorm
metalstorm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Dec. 12th, 2012 @ 10:52 AM Reply

At 12/6/12 10:31 PM, Shaun wrote:
At 12/6/12 09:38 AM, Saen wrote: I need a few effective exercises that isolate your hip muscles, preferably ones I can do at my apartment. I learned that my hip muscles will actually generate much more power and speed in my golf swings opposed to just my arm speed.
squats, deadlifts, overhead lunges, leg raises.

im not an expert on golf by any means but you would likley benefit from working on your hip abductors. The classic hip abduction exercise is just putting your leg out to the side while standing or laying down

Abductors and adductors (the opposite movement to abduction) are hard to train without gym equipment but this website lists a whole lot of strength and stretching exercises you can do and most of them can be done at home.

Sig by madknt

BBS Signature
Seamonky
Seamonky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Gamer
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Dec. 16th, 2012 @ 04:10 AM Reply

At 12/16/12 04:07 AM, Austerity wrote: Is anyone here going to run the NY marathon next year?

Some of my friends normally do that shit. As for me, I never went to the NY marathon. Would be nice to test out my speed and endurance though.

Guinness Book of World Record holder for the game Blur on Xbox 360, NG's Legendary Member.
Click my sig to see the best Newgrounds flash EVA! Give it a review as well. ;)

BBS Signature
metalstorm
metalstorm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Dec. 16th, 2012 @ 06:14 AM Reply

At 12/16/12 04:07 AM, Austerity wrote: Is anyone here going to run the NY marathon next year?

Won't be doing the NY marathon but i may do the Melbourne marathon. I did the half about 3 years ago and I'd like to get around to doing the whole thing.

Sig by madknt

BBS Signature
saqwert
saqwert
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Dec. 28th, 2012 @ 07:35 PM Reply

Yo what're your routines guys?

Scarface
Scarface
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Dec. 28th, 2012 @ 08:53 PM Reply

At 12/28/12 07:35 PM, saqwert wrote: Yo what're your routines guys?

Day 1: Upper body weight training
Day 2: Lower body weight training
Day 3: Cardio exercises.

BBS Signature
saqwert
saqwert
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Dec. 28th, 2012 @ 11:46 PM Reply

Do you have any specific lifts or rep amount? Progress?

Scarface
Scarface
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Dec. 29th, 2012 @ 12:55 AM Reply

At 12/28/12 11:46 PM, saqwert wrote: Do you have any specific lifts or rep amount? Progress?

I'm pretty unorganized, the main problem being that I don't have a lot of actual weights, so switching them from dumbbells, to barbell on floor, then to barbell on bench is a bit of a hassle.

What I'd really like is another barbell specifically designed for curling, as opposed to just curling with a straight one meant only for bench.

BBS Signature
saqwert
saqwert
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Dec. 29th, 2012 @ 12:45 PM Reply

How come you don't join a gym?

Shaun
Shaun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Dec. 31st, 2012 @ 10:02 PM Reply

At 12/28/12 11:46 PM, saqwert wrote: Do you have any specific lifts or rep amount? Progress?

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw52.htm

BBS Signature
saqwert
saqwert
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Jan. 1st, 2013 @ 08:39 AM Reply

That looks pretty solid. Hows it been for you?

Shaun
Shaun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Jan. 2nd, 2013 @ 07:23 AM Reply

At 1/1/13 08:39 AM, saqwert wrote: That looks pretty solid. Hows it been for you?

That is not what I do, but it is what I recommend for everyone.
I like to go to the gym more then 3 times a week so I do a body part split.

Thinking about changing though because I want to squat more often.

BBS Signature
Saen
Saen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Reader
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Jan. 9th, 2013 @ 11:36 PM Reply

Since I have a very light class load this semester I can actually fit in a gym schedule instead of just working out in my apartment all the time! Starting this thursday morning, every tuesday and thursday morning I'm working out with a lady friend of mine from 9am to 11:30. I plan on starting off with some stretching and abb exercises, running several miles on the track, arm exercises, and afterwards relaxing in the sauna and hot tub.

iamjoe666
iamjoe666
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Jan. 10th, 2013 @ 01:33 AM Reply

Well I need to go the other direction and loose weight. I'm 5'11 and 220lbs :(. I really can't take it anymore, I think I need to loose at least 30lbs.

Diet: I've just now transitioned into this diet and I don't find it hard anymore. I have eliminated dairy, eggs, and soda. Usually whole grains, some white rice but only with sushi. Sweet potatoes. Lots of cooked and uncooked vegetables. I like beans and lentils too. Lean beef and chicken/turkey. Fish, usually not fried. Snacking on pita chips and hummus. Also love avocados. I use a quality mustard instead of mayonnaise on sandwiches, although I like tuna salad so you need some mayo. Turkey burgers instead of hamburgers. Try to keep it simple.

Workout: I'm really just worried about cardio. Swimming, I find it a lot easier than jogging. I have some 15lb dumbells, not sure how to apply them though. Also want to start doing ab exercises.

BBS Signature
Shaun
Shaun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Jan. 10th, 2013 @ 09:23 AM Reply

At 1/10/13 01:33 AM, iamjoe666 wrote: Well I need to go the other direction and loose weight. I'm 5'11 and 220lbs :(. I really can't take it anymore, I think I need to loose at least 30lbs.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13

Read the stickies in the above forum.
Work out your maintenance calories, track and eat below that.. if you aren't losing weight eat less calories.

Join a gym. For the equipment, for the training, for the motivation.

Start a workout program: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147447933

Swimming is awesome cardio if thats what you like, go at it.

BBS Signature
Shaun
Shaun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Jan. 10th, 2013 @ 09:29 AM Reply

At 1/9/13 11:36 PM, Saen wrote: Since I have a very light class load this semester I can actually fit in a gym schedule instead of just working out in my apartment all the time! Starting this thursday morning, every tuesday and thursday morning I'm working out with a lady friend of mine from 9am to 11:30. I plan on starting off with some stretching and abb exercises, running several miles on the track, arm exercises, and afterwards relaxing in the sauna and hot tub.

sounds like a huge waste of time.

arms and abs?

i understand that is where you want gains but that isn't the right way to go about it.
you don't need to do any direct ab or arm work to look awesome in those areas and get a complete body workout.
you use your biceps, tricep and abs in so many other excercises.
squats, pull ups, bench press, etc.

look up the program I posted in my previous post.

BBS Signature