New Topic Respond to this Topic
metalstorm
metalstorm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2012-12-16 06:14:08 Reply

At 12/16/12 04:07 AM, Austerity wrote: Is anyone here going to run the NY marathon next year?

Won't be doing the NY marathon but i may do the Melbourne marathon. I did the half about 3 years ago and I'd like to get around to doing the whole thing.

Sig by madknt
Sig pinkified by jackmorrison

BBS Signature
saqwert
saqwert
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Melancholy
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2012-12-28 19:35:45 Reply

Yo what're your routines guys?

BBS Signature
Scarface
Scarface
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2012-12-28 20:53:19 Reply

At 12/28/12 07:35 PM, saqwert wrote: Yo what're your routines guys?

Day 1: Upper body weight training
Day 2: Lower body weight training
Day 3: Cardio exercises.

saqwert
saqwert
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Melancholy
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2012-12-28 23:46:23 Reply

Do you have any specific lifts or rep amount? Progress?

BBS Signature
Scarface
Scarface
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2012-12-29 00:55:37 Reply

At 12/28/12 11:46 PM, saqwert wrote: Do you have any specific lifts or rep amount? Progress?

I'm pretty unorganized, the main problem being that I don't have a lot of actual weights, so switching them from dumbbells, to barbell on floor, then to barbell on bench is a bit of a hassle.

What I'd really like is another barbell specifically designed for curling, as opposed to just curling with a straight one meant only for bench.

saqwert
saqwert
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Melancholy
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2012-12-29 12:45:01 Reply

How come you don't join a gym?

BBS Signature
Shaun
Shaun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2012-12-31 22:02:28 Reply

At 12/28/12 11:46 PM, saqwert wrote: Do you have any specific lifts or rep amount? Progress?

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw52.htm

// Sig Makers // WWE Fans // Tumblr //

BBS Signature
saqwert
saqwert
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Melancholy
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2013-01-01 08:39:04 Reply

That looks pretty solid. Hows it been for you?

BBS Signature
Shaun
Shaun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2013-01-02 07:23:22 Reply

At 1/1/13 08:39 AM, saqwert wrote: That looks pretty solid. Hows it been for you?

That is not what I do, but it is what I recommend for everyone.
I like to go to the gym more then 3 times a week so I do a body part split.

Thinking about changing though because I want to squat more often.

BBS Signature
Saen
Saen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Reader
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2013-01-09 23:36:40 Reply

Since I have a very light class load this semester I can actually fit in a gym schedule instead of just working out in my apartment all the time! Starting this thursday morning, every tuesday and thursday morning I'm working out with a lady friend of mine from 9am to 11:30. I plan on starting off with some stretching and abb exercises, running several miles on the track, arm exercises, and afterwards relaxing in the sauna and hot tub.

iamjoe666
iamjoe666
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2013-01-10 01:33:54 Reply

Well I need to go the other direction and loose weight. I'm 5'11 and 220lbs :(. I really can't take it anymore, I think I need to loose at least 30lbs.

Diet: I've just now transitioned into this diet and I don't find it hard anymore. I have eliminated dairy, eggs, and soda. Usually whole grains, some white rice but only with sushi. Sweet potatoes. Lots of cooked and uncooked vegetables. I like beans and lentils too. Lean beef and chicken/turkey. Fish, usually not fried. Snacking on pita chips and hummus. Also love avocados. I use a quality mustard instead of mayonnaise on sandwiches, although I like tuna salad so you need some mayo. Turkey burgers instead of hamburgers. Try to keep it simple.

Workout: I'm really just worried about cardio. Swimming, I find it a lot easier than jogging. I have some 15lb dumbells, not sure how to apply them though. Also want to start doing ab exercises.

BBS Signature
Shaun
Shaun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2013-01-10 09:23:37 Reply

At 1/10/13 01:33 AM, iamjoe666 wrote: Well I need to go the other direction and loose weight. I'm 5'11 and 220lbs :(. I really can't take it anymore, I think I need to loose at least 30lbs.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13

Read the stickies in the above forum.
Work out your maintenance calories, track and eat below that.. if you aren't losing weight eat less calories.

Join a gym. For the equipment, for the training, for the motivation.

Start a workout program: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147447933

Swimming is awesome cardio if thats what you like, go at it.

BBS Signature
Shaun
Shaun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2013-01-10 09:29:24 Reply

At 1/9/13 11:36 PM, Saen wrote: Since I have a very light class load this semester I can actually fit in a gym schedule instead of just working out in my apartment all the time! Starting this thursday morning, every tuesday and thursday morning I'm working out with a lady friend of mine from 9am to 11:30. I plan on starting off with some stretching and abb exercises, running several miles on the track, arm exercises, and afterwards relaxing in the sauna and hot tub.

sounds like a huge waste of time.

arms and abs?

i understand that is where you want gains but that isn't the right way to go about it.
you don't need to do any direct ab or arm work to look awesome in those areas and get a complete body workout.
you use your biceps, tricep and abs in so many other excercises.
squats, pull ups, bench press, etc.

look up the program I posted in my previous post.

BBS Signature
karategangster
karategangster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2013-01-23 07:42:45 Reply

My current thing is along the lines of

Day 1: Chest/triceps etc.
Day 2: Legs/lower back
Day 4: Upper back/shoulders
Day 6: Misc. (often bench press, squats and cardio stuff)

With nothing set in stone and preference for compound lifts. Also, running about 3-5k on all but Day 2.

However I find that after deadlifts on Day 2 my lower back can feel a little iffy on the bent over rows of Day 4. Would it make more sense to do deadlifts on Day 4, making it a more general 'back day', and do only squats and other leg exercises on Day 2?

I've been doing this for a while now but if I am making any ridiculous mistakes please do point them out too.

UVSoaked
UVSoaked
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Audiophile
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2013-02-02 10:33:52 Reply

Finally found a gym with some decent gymnastics equipment. I can't wait for the snow to melt so I can get back to parkour.

Scarface
Scarface
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2013-02-14 22:15:20 Reply

Does anybody know of any exercises that would strengthen my lower back? I know squat helps with lifting, and I do that as well, but my knees are worse than my back is.

Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2013-02-15 04:40:59 Reply

Been dieting pretty hard for the past two weeks. I don't know how it is possible but I have already went from 155 to 144. Trying to get down to 125 and then put 20 back in muscle on. Just limiting myself to 1500 calories per day seems to do the trick.

autistic screeching

BBS Signature
karategangster
karategangster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2013-02-15 06:06:07 Reply

At 2/14/13 10:15 PM, Scarface wrote: Does anybody know of any exercises that would strengthen my lower back? I know squat helps with lifting, and I do that as well, but my knees are worse than my back is.

Stiff-legged deadlifts. Or just normal deadlifts, but if your knees are dodgy then etc. If you haven't done them before though, make sure to practise form a bit before adding much weight.

the-goatman
the-goatman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2013-02-20 03:50:05 Reply

I've always been pretty fit but I'm starting to shift away from my runner's body to having a bit more muscle mass.

I usually work out 3 times a week: one day core, one day arms/chest and one day shoulders/back. I still run at least once or twice a week and swim up to three times, with some other sports thrown in on the side randomly (rock climbing and vball mostly).

As far as protein and all this shit goes how do I put on mass and avoid losing it? Is it a matter of exercise regularity or more about keeping my calorie intake high even when I'm taking days off. Basically I have no concept of how nutrition works :/

Sobolev
Sobolev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Melancholy
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2013-02-20 13:10:14 Reply

just a quick question: how do you stay motivated? do you go to the gym alone or do you have a training partner?

i find it hard to work out regularly after school begins because i don't usually have the time or energy to go to the gym. (i only have at most two hours of free time in between lessons on wednesdays, which last until 6 pm.)

Yeah, I make no sense.

karategangster
karategangster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2013-02-21 09:25:09 Reply

At 2/20/13 03:50 AM, the-goatman wrote: As far as protein and all this shit goes how do I put on mass and avoid losing it? Is it a matter of exercise regularity or more about keeping my calorie intake high even when I'm taking days off. Basically I have no concept of how nutrition works :/

Yeah you need to stick to a decent diet even on 'days off' because your muscles are in a fairly perpetual state of repair.

At 2/20/13 01:10 PM, i-am-ghey wrote: i find it hard to work out regularly after school begins because i don't usually have the time or energy to go to the gym. (i only have at most two hours of free time in between lessons on wednesdays, which last until 6 pm.)

Conversely I find that if I do a fair bit of work in a day I'll be mentally but not physically tired which bothers me and can mess up my sleeping pattern. I'm also motivated by paranoia that I will otherwise become a physiologically inarticulate blob. I get particularly worried that I can feel my legs wasting away from sitting about and I'll go to stand up one day and just buckle, like an aged giraffe who has nothing left.

If that doesn't give you at least some level body paradysmorphia then, well, I tried.

UVSoaked
UVSoaked
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Audiophile
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2013-02-22 21:18:10 Reply

At 2/20/13 01:10 PM, i-am-ghey wrote: just a quick question: how do you stay motivated?

This may sound cliche, but I just remembered why I started doing it. Always good to remember your reasons.

the-goatman
the-goatman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2013-02-23 21:57:08 Reply

At 2/20/13 01:10 PM, i-am-ghey wrote: just a quick question: how do you stay motivated? do you go to the gym alone or do you have a training partner?

i find it hard to work out regularly after school begins because i don't usually have the time or energy to go to the gym. (i only have at most two hours of free time in between lessons on Wednesdays, which last until 6 pm.)

Exercising more or less daily has become such a well founded routine for me that I barely ever seem to have days where I don't feel like it anymore... especially swimming and going to the gym actually feel like a break if I'm having a shitty/tiring day since I enjoy them so much .

The days I don't feel like it though you just have to remind yourself why you're doing exercising in the first place and hold on to that. I always feel particularly proud of a workout if I struggled a bit getting myself to go but I powered through anyways. Having someone to motivate you is great but you have to make sure they're not the only thing motivating you.

You shouldn't feel like it's an obligation though, if you're completely exhausted I don't think it's worth pushing yourself over the edge to go. You just have to be careful you don't start using that as an excuse.

TheKlown
TheKlown
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2013-02-24 10:08:43 Reply

Anyone know of the best exercises to do with Medicine balls that Bounce? I go to my Local Police Station and they have 6 walls there meant for probably for other sports but I use it for bouncing medicine balls off it.

I bleed Orange, Green, and Red.
Flyers, Eagles, Phillies, and Sixers.

LiquidFire
LiquidFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 46
Melancholy
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2013-02-25 12:14:25 Reply

So I started working out a bit. Nothing extreme, just lifting some weights and doing some sit-ups.
I heard that it's best to work out 1 day and then let your body rest for 1 day before working out again, is that true?

I also want to know if it's best to do 50 sit-ups and 20 weight lifts (What are those called?) at once, or do 25 sit-ups and 10 weight lifts in the morning and 25 sit-ups and 10 weight lifts doing the evening?

I'm crazy! Got a doctor's note.
Find me on the internet / TF2 Crew / NG GM Scripts

BBS Signature
Shaun
Shaun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2013-02-26 20:21:44 Reply

At 2/25/13 04:20 PM, Austerity wrote: Someone recently informed me of hemp protein as a better alternative to whey protein. Anyone have insight on this?

Stop talking to fuckwit hippys?

BBS Signature
Shaun
Shaun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2013-02-26 20:23:28 Reply

At 2/25/13 12:14 PM, LiquidFire wrote: So I started working out a bit. Nothing extreme, just lifting some weights and doing some sit-ups.
I heard that it's best to work out 1 day and then let your body rest for 1 day before working out again, is that true?

I also want to know if it's best to do 50 sit-ups and 20 weight lifts (What are those called?) at once, or do 25 sit-ups and 10 weight lifts in the morning and 25 sit-ups and 10 weight lifts doing the evening?

weight lifts?

wow, this is a whole new level of newb.

please go to www.bodybuilding.com and just look at everything.
read it all -_-

Don't even know where to start.

BBS Signature
LiquidFire
LiquidFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 46
Melancholy
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2013-02-27 02:42:53 Reply

At 2/26/13 08:23 PM, Shaun wrote:
At 2/25/13 12:14 PM, LiquidFire wrote: So I started working out a bit. Nothing extreme, just lifting some weights and doing some sit-ups.

weight lifts?

wow, this is a whole new level of newb.

please go to www.bodybuilding.com and just look at everything.
read it all -_-

I only found bodybuilding guides or guides that require tons of time/work or going to a gym. I'm not interested in that since I'm only interested in doing a few exercises at home, because I sit in front of pc basically all day, which also means I don't really have time to go to the gym.

Don't even know where to start.

Maybe with the questions I asked. I assume they should be pretty straight forward to answer for someone with experience in these things. Which you seem to have.

I'm crazy! Got a doctor's note.
Find me on the internet / TF2 Crew / NG GM Scripts

BBS Signature
Elfer
Elfer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2013-03-10 13:42:43 Reply

At 2/25/13 04:20 PM, Austerity wrote: Someone recently informed me of hemp protein as a better alternative to whey protein. Anyone have insight on this?

From what I've read, hemp protein is also a complete protein, plus has a lot of fiber, and is a vegan (sometimes raw) product, if you care about that sort of thing.

Whey protein is a bit cheaper and definitely much better tested on a broad population. Countless tons of it have been consumed with successful results across a huge range of people and purposes (bodybuilding, sports, etc). In that sense hemp protein is a bit of a question mark, but I'm sure it works just fine.

The bottom line is that unless you're also looking for a fiber supplement, there's no particular demonstrable reason that hemp protein is "better" than whey protein. Buy whichever one you like.

saqwert
saqwert
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Melancholy
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2013-04-05 00:26:16 Reply

Would it be detrimental during a cut to do cardio on the off days, leaving no days that are solely for rest? What about light cardio on lifting days?

BBS Signature