New Topic Respond to this Topic
Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Aug. 8th, 2012 @ 12:42 AM Reply

I felt really shitty and tired my last workout, I made it a bit shorter than usual. I'm blaming it on not eating or sleeping enough. So tonight I plan on fixing my sleep schedule and that way I also will not wake up too late and forget to eat.

At 8/6/12 11:55 PM, Scarface wrote:
At 8/6/12 11:08 PM, Rhinocerider wrote: Yeah, but I need to do more than just dips, you know? And yeah, some pushup variations seem pretty effective.
If you have anything heavy in your house, you could try benching, squatting, and possibly curling with it. A filing cabinet, a speaker, a large office chair, a small table, a spare tire, or the end side of a couch, for instance.

Milk jugs filled with water. Or with cement. Idk I don't find it easy to stay motivated that way. Before we gave away our outdoor playset I would use the monkey bars for pull ups and for that one backbend thingy that works your back muscles/core. Anyway, so even the local playground could provide you with access to a few things. You've just got to be creative and motivated.

I remember when my mom would work out at home and was a stay-at-home mother. She'd sometimes use my brother and I during her workout. Like we'd get to grab onto her legs and be picked up that way(like leg extension), stuff like that. We thought it was lots of fun and she got some extra weight resistance.

The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
e-lord
e-lord
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Aug. 9th, 2012 @ 07:00 PM Reply

what do you guys do for your chest?

i use the bench press but i find that when i lift i tend to use more of my triceps, leaving my pecs to be desired

do any of you have suggestions?

Creator of the Death Note club
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

BBS Signature
e-lord
e-lord
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Aug. 9th, 2012 @ 08:48 PM Reply

At 8/9/12 07:17 PM, Rhinocerider wrote:
At 8/9/12 07:00 PM, e-lord wrote: what do you guys do for your chest?

i use the bench press but i find that when i lift i tend to use more of my triceps, leaving my pecs to be desired

do any of you have suggestions?
If that's a problem, try widening your grip on the bar. If you're using your triceps too much, it sounds like your hands are too close together.

Also, found out that I can also use two of the spaces on the treadmill to do inverted rows with, for lats and back.Dips are nice for your chest, and you could try one of the million push up variations for your chest. Personally, I'm thinking of filling up a back-pack with stuff to do weighted pushups with, since I don't have any equipment.

i think i'll try doing pushups, at least until i go back to college, where they have this wonderful butterfly press that really isolates your pectorals, where you can really feel the pull

also, has anyone tried interval sprints on the treadmill or on the track?

it's a great exercise because it's not aerobic, and therefore won't get in the way of gaining lean muscle mass (in case you didn't know, running on a treadmill for a certain amount of time is counter-productive to getting a muscular body)

so does anyone do this or is it just me?

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

BBS Signature
Mumbo
Mumbo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Aug. 9th, 2012 @ 10:23 PM Reply

At 8/9/12 10:04 PM, Rhinocerider wrote: Also, Ronnie Coleman walks on the treadmill at home.

Sir Coleman walks while he eats his 4 dozen eggs I do believe.

|XBL Gamertag: ShadowboltRD | Bronies before Hoenies| YenMuffin made my sig

BBS Signature
e-lord
e-lord
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Aug. 9th, 2012 @ 10:44 PM Reply

At 8/9/12 10:04 PM, Rhinocerider wrote:
At 8/9/12 08:48 PM, e-lord wrote:
Guh what? Interval training is aerobic. Sure, it's not the same as long distance running, but it's still cardio. Also, don't take random stuff you find on the internet out of context. Unless you're running a good distance competitively (or you just train for marathon distances or longer), you shouldn't worry about it. Even professional bodybuilders need at least a bit of aerobic training. Not nearly as much, but it's still there. Also, Ronnie Coleman walks on the treadmill at home.

aerobic does not necessarily equal cardio

an aerobic exercise is an exercise of light to moderate intensity for a long period of time- which would be something like running on a treadmill for a set amount of time

interval sprinting, on the other hand, is a short intense workout- which is exactly what an anaerobic exercise is

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_interval_trainin g
http://exercise.about.com/library/blsprintinterval.htm

you're probably right about me exaggerating about the effects of doing too much aerobic exercises, but i still prefer something anaerobic, i've heard a lot of good things about it, like it being good for your metabolism and burns more fat overall

so does anyone do this or is it just me?
I'll probably be doing them again next track season. How much are you doing for your intervals?

how much?

well i start off with a 5 minute warmup at 6.5 mph, and then i begin doing the training

i do 30 seconds at 11 mph, then i go back to 6.5 mph for a minute, and rince and repeat until i do that six times

what about you?

BBS Signature
e-lord
e-lord
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Aug. 10th, 2012 @ 12:02 AM Reply

At 8/9/12 11:36 PM, Rhinocerider wrote:
Pretty much any exercise should be good for your metabolism. I've always assumed cardio of pretty much any type would burn more fat than weight training. Of course, both types have different benefits, and for full effect, you'd need both. That's a good reason for me trying to introduce myself to anaerobic training.

I've never had to worry about fat though. Are you more interested in getting more mass, or losing fat?

gaining mass, definitely, i lift three days a week

before i started working out i was getting chubby, but most of that fat is gone now

i mostly do cardio to keep my heart and lungs healthy, but also to make sure i don't get too chubby again

(note: i was never actually that chubby, i just nipped the problem in the bud before it became too noticeable)

BBS Signature
neolinked
neolinked
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Aug. 10th, 2012 @ 04:12 AM Reply

At 8/10/12 12:02 AM, e-lord wrote:
At 8/9/12 11:36 PM, Rhinocerider wrote:
Pretty much any exercise should be good for your metabolism. I've always assumed cardio of pretty much any type would burn more fat than weight training. Of course, both types have different benefits, and for full effect, you'd need both. That's a good reason for me trying to introduce myself to anaerobic training.

I've never had to worry about fat though. Are you more interested in getting more mass, or losing fat?
gaining mass, definitely, i lift three days a week

before i started working out i was getting chubby, but most of that fat is gone now

i mostly do cardio to keep my heart and lungs healthy, but also to make sure i don't get too chubby again

(note: i was never actually that chubby, i just nipped the problem in the bud before it became too noticeable)

Awesome man! I'm definitely getting more motivated these days. The harder I work out the better I feel about myself! I'm starting to get addicted to pumping the iron hah.

Click pic for my best trance song

BBS Signature
Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Aug. 10th, 2012 @ 07:32 AM Reply

At 8/10/12 04:12 AM, neolinked wrote: Awesome man! I'm definitely getting more motivated these days. The harder I work out the better I feel about myself! I'm starting to get addicted to pumping the iron hah.

My favorite addiction!

Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
Mumbo
Mumbo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Aug. 10th, 2012 @ 09:38 AM Reply

At 8/10/12 09:24 AM, HydraTundra wrote: Does anyone here you use any particular type of protein shakes? Or can recommend any?
Are the Creatine,Casein or NO3 supplements any good?

I've tried Body Fortress's powdered Whey Protein,Mix1's protein shake and Met-Rx Protein Plus Bars. Which have been working pretty well for me. I've been taking FlaxSeed EFA supplements too.

I recommend "Animal Pack". Has like 1000 times your daily vitamins and shit, and "NOEXPLODE" for preworkout.

BBS Signature
e-lord
e-lord
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Aug. 13th, 2012 @ 12:26 AM Reply

hey i'm not sure if this has been asked but...

why did you all start working out?

i started lifting last november

i was accepted to college in the spring semester, so i wasn't really doing much, so i started to work out with my family (who are all fitness freaks)

eventually, i became addicted to it, and always do it three times a week

i was never into sports or anything so i had no need to go to the gym, i just continue to do so in order to remain in shape and stay healthy- something i never really was while i was in high school

what about you? when and why did you all start?

BBS Signature
Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Aug. 13th, 2012 @ 01:15 AM Reply

I started to in high school because it was required for gym glass and the sports I was in.

Quit for a while after. Got back into it because I love doing it.

BBS Signature
Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Aug. 18th, 2012 @ 04:42 PM Reply

Does it matter what you do with your legs while doing bench press?

I know it's probably best to have knees bent feet on the floor or straight out? I'm short and don't always reach the floor but does it even matter what your legs are doing? Sometimes I stick them straight out, bending at the hip for no reason, just cuz I feel like it lo. Does it affect anything? I know form's important but idk what my legs have to do with that exercise.

BBS Signature
e-lord
e-lord
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Aug. 18th, 2012 @ 04:58 PM Reply

At 8/18/12 04:42 PM, Sensationalism wrote: Does it matter what you do with your legs while doing bench press?

like with any exercise, it's important to have firm footing, otherwise you're working muscles you probably shouldn't be working

I know it's probably best to have knees bent feet on the floor or straight out? I'm short and don't always reach the floor but does it even matter what your legs are doing? Sometimes I stick them straight out, bending at the hip for no reason, just cuz I feel like it lo. Does it affect anything? I know form's important but idk what my legs have to do with that exercise.

would it be possible to place your feet on the bench itself, rather on the ground?

i've seen my dad do this occasionally, it could work for you

just bench the barbell to try it first to make sure if it works for you

BBS Signature
VicariousE
VicariousE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Aug. 18th, 2012 @ 05:15 PM Reply

"Chemical widely used in antibacterial hand soaps (and toothpaste) may impair muscle function".... this article popped up, right after I ranted about the drug in the Med Thread.
Best advice would be to stop using it, or any other product that contains Triclosan. Maybe use it once week under the nails, and rinse quickly - this stuff kills bugs fast, and loves to bypass the oil on your skin to get into the blood stream.

Now building Vault 101, reverse engineered from yesterdays technology.

BBS Signature
e-lord
e-lord
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Aug. 18th, 2012 @ 05:20 PM Reply

At 8/18/12 05:15 PM, VicariousE wrote: "Chemical widely used in antibacterial hand soaps (and toothpaste) may impair muscle function"

oh jesus christ

i'm going to have to check for that next time i buy hand soap

nice find

BBS Signature
Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Aug. 18th, 2012 @ 11:15 PM Reply

I looked at my toothpaste and soap, no triclosan. I don't think I have anything with it.

At 8/18/12 04:58 PM, e-lord wrote: would it be possible to place your feet on the bench itself, rather on the ground?

i've seen my dad do this occasionally, it could work for you

just bench the barbell to try it first to make sure if it works for you

Ha, you're right. I do that sometimes actually. Well I probably do that quite a bit I only really notice my legs when I'm being a dork and do something weird with them. That is a good idea cuz that's much easier than trying to have them on the ground.

BBS Signature
Scarface
Scarface
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Aug. 20th, 2012 @ 08:29 PM Reply

Should I start power cleaning more often? I usually don't do it that much, maybe five times during a workout (I do 85 lbs and I weigh 125 lbs), but I've heard that it is really good because it touches on a lot of different muscles throughout the body.

What do you guys do in the respects of power cleaning?

Also, how much do you lift in relevance to how much you weigh?

Rules of the BBS - Meme - Jeff
Thanks to Donut for the SIG!

BBS Signature
Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Aug. 23rd, 2012 @ 10:04 PM Reply

I lack equipment to work my lower back. Suggest exercises plz.

BBS Signature
Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Aug. 27th, 2012 @ 07:46 PM Reply

Dang I always paid full price for dumb bells, that is a good idea!

You guyssss make fitocracy accounts....we could prolly make our own group on there too! Then we can help each other more!!

BBS Signature
Mumbo
Mumbo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Aug. 27th, 2012 @ 07:56 PM Reply

At 8/27/12 07:46 PM, Sensationalism wrote: Dang I always paid full price for dumb bells, that is a good idea!

You guyssss make fitocracy accounts....we could prolly make our own group on there too! Then we can help each other more!!

I'm never sure if you're male or female.

Also, I did 100+ prison squats today because we had to keep doing them until everyone had perfect form D:

BBS Signature
Scarface
Scarface
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Aug. 27th, 2012 @ 08:50 PM Reply

I have a question about my muscles plateauing (I haven't noticed it yet, but I want to prevent it), which happens when you work out the same muscle in the same way over and over again without switch up.

If I work out with free weights every other day, and on my off days I do push-ups, pull-ups and dips (which I don't do on the days I lift free weights), I shouldn't plateau, because even though I'm working out a lot of the same muscles, I'm doing different exercises, right?

BBS Signature
Mumbo
Mumbo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Aug. 28th, 2012 @ 04:28 PM Reply

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1316583

NG Gym, I want you all to feel good that you are not this, and that you willingly kick your own ass daily.

That is all.

BBS Signature
Scarface
Scarface
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Aug. 28th, 2012 @ 08:59 PM Reply

At 8/28/12 04:28 PM, Mumbo wrote: NG Gym, I want you all to feel good that you are not this, and that you willingly kick your own ass daily.

Two weeks and no progress? Wah, wah, wah. As a scrawny little kid, it took me years to develop any muscle mass, and I'm still considered pretty damn scrawny.

At 8/28/12 05:37 PM, Rhinocerider wrote:
Well, you're still working them out, of course. Doing an actual split workout is better than doing full body every day, especially if you're worried about the plateau. I wouldn't think too much about doing them on your off days unless you're taking it easy with them.

Would you recommend doing upper body one day and lower the other? Or is what I've been doing fine?

BBS Signature
Mumbo
Mumbo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Aug. 28th, 2012 @ 09:07 PM Reply

Well, you're still working them out, of course. Doing an actual split workout is better than doing full body every day, especially if you're worried about the plateau. I wouldn't think too much about doing them on your off days unless you're taking it easy with them.
Would you recommend doing upper body one day and lower the other? Or is what I've been doing fine?

I do groups. Triceps deltoids pectorals etc, then legs, then abs, then back, then rest.

BBS Signature
Phantox
Phantox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Aug. 30th, 2012 @ 11:36 PM Reply

Man bulking sucks. I wanna go up to 165lbs but its hard. Especially while trying to keep up my cardio and I just joined kickboxing and karate. Shit.

I'm not racist, sexist, or hateful. I'm just factual.
Ron Paul 2012
|Free Hentai|

BBS Signature
e-lord
e-lord
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Aug. 31st, 2012 @ 10:56 AM Reply

At 8/30/12 11:36 PM, Phantox wrote: Man bulking sucks. I wanna go up to 165lbs but its hard. Especially while trying to keep up my cardio and I just joined kickboxing and karate. Shit.

uhh, when you say 165 lbs, are you talking about the amount you can bench?

and yeah, it seems you have a lot of physical activities going on in your life, i'm proud of you

to be honest, after i lost access to a treadmill when i went back home from college, i haven't really done any cardio

what do you do for cardio? how long does it take you?

how often do you lift each week?

BBS Signature
Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Sep. 1st, 2012 @ 11:26 AM Reply

Does everyone log or write down their workouts and each exercise? I heard of someone who doesn't and I had previously assumed everyone did. I don't understand how you can know when to increase your lifting weight if you haven't been keeping track of it or how you can stay motivated if you aren't able to see your progress on paper.

That's because you're not supposed to do full body everyday, you need time to recover. I don't think one is better than the other, I think it depends on the individual.

BBS Signature
Scarface
Scarface
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Sep. 1st, 2012 @ 12:14 PM Reply

At 8/31/12 10:56 AM, e-lord wrote:
At 8/30/12 11:36 PM, Phantox wrote: Man bulking sucks. I wanna go up to 165lbs but its hard. Especially while trying to keep up my cardio and I just joined kickboxing and karate. Shit.
uhh, when you say 165 lbs, are you talking about the amount you can bench?

I think he meant his own weight, hence why he mentioned cardio, which makes you lose weight.

I understand it, man, I lift every other day, but I'm still 125 lbs no matter what, mainly because of my metabolism, but also because running and playing drums burns a lot of fat.

BBS Signature
Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Sep. 3rd, 2012 @ 06:55 PM Reply

Tomorrow will be my first day going to an actual gym!

I'm bringing my log, I hope I don't look like a weirdo!

BBS Signature
e-lord
e-lord
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym Sep. 3rd, 2012 @ 07:13 PM Reply

At 9/3/12 06:55 PM, Sensationalism wrote: Tomorrow will be my first day going to an actual gym!

I'm bringing my log, I hope I don't look like a weirdo!

i've seen some folk use a piece of paper in order to check off the types of exercises they've done

i'm not really sure what you're referring to when you talk about a log though

BBS Signature