New Topic Respond to this Topic
NiteCrow
NiteCrow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2012-05-08 08:05:45 Reply

At 5/6/12 06:53 PM, Dew wrote: Do you guys have any advice on what times during the day I should be lifting? I usually go at the end of the day, and then after a while I'll end up going to sleep. Is it more beneficial to go, say in the middle of the afternoon, or is there no difference if I were to to do it at 12 at night, in comparison to 2 in the afternoon?

Well, i can only say one thing, if you have heart problems, don't do excersises after you wake up in the morning for atleast 3 hours, as it might end up bad. Dunno anything else tho.

I need some tips on how to become more enduring, stamina vs. power, speed vs. strenght, what ever you might call it. The thing that interests me the most is what kind of excersises should i do? Btw, currently 16-ish (turning 16 next week) and have some heart problems, so i really wish if you could take those facts into consideration before giving out anything too advanced. Oh and one more thing, i'm having sereous problems with pull-ups, i can't do one pull up, even though I can make 25 more push-ups than my friend, who can make 10 pull-ups...it's just a mystery to me.

Anyway, thanks for any advice you can give

My art Thread, prepare to get your eyes burned!

BBS Signature
Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2012-07-24 23:28:37 Reply

I read it's better to run after lifting weights instead of before. I tried it today, felt better than usual, I like it.

The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
Atlas
Atlas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Musician
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2012-07-25 15:56:44 Reply

Hey guys I'm going to start working out more often and I was wondering, what's the best genre of music to work out to?

Steam | Letterboxd | AllPoetry | Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature
The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2012-07-25 16:52:54 Reply

At 7/25/12 03:56 PM, J-Rex wrote: Hey guys I'm going to start working out more often and I was wondering, what's the best genre of music to work out to?

Don't mind me, just stacking brochures in the gym, overheard the convo. I find the best genre of music to work out to is either some sort of Classic Rock or Metal. However some heavy film scores can work as well.

| The Interviewer | Review Terms 3.0 | [This Space For Rent ] | Club Stoic |

BBS Signature
Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2012-07-26 00:56:02 Reply

At 7/25/12 03:56 PM, J-Rex wrote: Hey guys I'm going to start working out more often and I was wondering, what's the best genre of music to work out to?

I think metal/rock pump you up more. But some people have workout jams that are very poppy or slow that I couldn't understand using but it works for them. So whatever gets you going.
I'd always fun to Five Finger Death Punch but lately needed a switch so after years of that I switched to running to Matisyahu. Not as hardcore/angry. But it worked pretty well actually.

Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
Scarface
Scarface
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2012-07-31 22:50:58 Reply

I'm having a bit of difficulty scheduling my exercise. I normally work out every other day, but is it bad for me to work out every day? Why?

What if I did upper body one day and lower body the next day?

Also, when I work out, how long should I actually work out for, and how long should my breaks be? I normally work out for about two hours with many short breaks (ranging from a minute or two to five or ten minutes) scattered throughout. Should I continue doing this? Or take long bursts of exercise with longer breaks?

Rules of the BBS - Meme - Jeff
Thanks to Donut for the SIG!

BBS Signature
i-am-ghey
i-am-ghey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Melancholy
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2012-08-02 03:14:32 Reply

At 7/31/12 10:50 PM, Scarface wrote: I'm having a bit of difficulty scheduling my exercise. I normally work out every other day, but is it bad for me to work out every day? Why?

i don't see anything wrong with working out everyday if you don't overtrain.

Also, when I work out, how long should I actually work out for, and how long should my breaks be?

i guess the ideal workout time depends on your goals and it varies from person to person. normally, i do weighlifting every other day, and i work out for about one hour each time, with short breaks in between each set. the ratio of total time spent on lifting weights and total rest time is roughly 1 to 1.

(and that's for anaerobic exercise only)

^Just another nonsensical forum post.^

Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2012-08-02 03:32:43 Reply

Does anyone have an account on fitocracy.com?

It's totally awesome, I love it.

BBS Signature
razem
razem
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2012-08-02 03:50:56 Reply

This seems great, I would like to join this..

Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2012-08-04 16:46:58 Reply

This club is two years old and only has 18 pages? That is ridiculous! Even if only a few people work out here they should be able to post enough to generate plenty of discussion. Some clubs talk about nothing or the same thing over and over and have hundreds of pages.
So I'm posting in this thread a whole bunch and if that doesn't make it more active I will just be talking to myself.

Okay. So I wanted a friend to sign up for fitocracy but he did a leg workout the day before and was at the gym for two hours. He could only remember one thing he did and said it's not like my pansy workouts, he does too much stuff to remember. IF you're just working out your legs, how would you need to do a whole bunch of stuff? Aren't there a couple of exercises that cover most of your legs and then just do a few more to make sure all of your legs are worked out and you're good? Is there really any point to working the same muscles over and over again on the same day?
I'm competitive and I build muscle pretty easily so I don't want him getting ahead of me much.

My workouts are usually 1-2 hours but I lift upper and lower body on the same day, and I run for a bit.
I lift every other day pretty much. Do core exercises pretty much every day. Run most days. And do yoga on the days I don't lift.

BBS Signature
Mumbo
Mumbo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2012-08-04 18:23:11 Reply

Anyone want to be my spotter?

|XBL Gamertag: ShadowboltRD | Bronies before Hoenies| YenMuffin made my sig

BBS Signature
Mumbo
Mumbo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2012-08-05 09:06:37 Reply

At 8/4/12 04:46 PM, Sensationalism wrote:
So I'm posting in this thread a whole bunch and if that doesn't make it more active I will just be talking to myself.

I agree. I'll talk~

Okay. So I wanted a friend to sign up for fitocracy but he did a leg workout the day before and was at the gym for two hours. He could only remember one thing he did and said it's not like my pansy workouts, he does too much stuff to remember. IF you're just working out your legs, how would you need to do a whole bunch of stuff? Aren't there a couple of exercises that cover most of your legs and then just do a few more to make sure all of your legs are worked out and you're good? Is there really any point to working the same muscles over and over again on the same day?
I'm competitive and I build muscle pretty easily so I don't want him getting ahead of me much.

He sounds like an unintelligent tool. More than likely he has no clue what he's doing unless he's uning machines which are pretty hard to fuck up. If he is trying to build mass, shorter workouts with greatly heavier weights are required, and if it took him 2 hours to do legs, whether he knows it or not, he'll only end up toning them, not growing huge mass.

My workouts are usually 1-2 hours but I lift upper and lower body on the same day, and I run for a bit.
I lift every other day pretty much. Do core exercises pretty much every day. Run most days. And do yoga on the days I don't lift.

So you do like what I've heard described as "FMJ"? I believe it's where you do like, everything in one day, then rest, then everything again?

If you really want to get ahead, I'd recommend a preworkout supplement if you don't already have one.

BBS Signature
Scarface
Scarface
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2012-08-05 14:57:54 Reply

I recently bought a weight set, and have been able to lift more weight that what I used to have access to (two 20 lb. dumbbells), but it's been about a month or two, and my wrists are starting to hurt after workouts. Is that bad? Or is that typical, like shoulders being sore?

BBS Signature
Mumbo
Mumbo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2012-08-05 16:11:08 Reply

At 8/5/12 02:57 PM, Scarface wrote: I recently bought a weight set, and have been able to lift more weight that what I used to have access to (two 20 lb. dumbbells), but it's been about a month or two, and my wrists are starting to hurt after workouts. Is that bad? Or is that typical, like shoulders being sore?

I'd buy me some reasonably-priced lifting gloves. The ones I have have an elastic thick band that you wrap around your wrists to prevent joint damage.

They were like 10 bucks at Walmart.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-s-Gym-Wrist-Wrap-Glove/121773 56

BBS Signature
Scarface
Scarface
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2012-08-05 16:17:48 Reply

At 8/5/12 04:11 PM, SolidToad wrote: I'd buy me some reasonably-priced lifting gloves. The ones I have have an elastic thick band that you wrap around your wrists to prevent joint damage.

Will gloves like these do anything? They don't go very far over the wrist.

>>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym

BBS Signature
Mumbo
Mumbo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2012-08-05 16:44:26 Reply

At 8/5/12 04:17 PM, Scarface wrote:
At 8/5/12 04:11 PM, SolidToad wrote: I'd buy me some reasonably-priced lifting gloves. The ones I have have an elastic thick band that you wrap around your wrists to prevent joint damage.

Will gloves like these do anything? They don't go very far over the wrist.

the most those would do for you is prevent calluses from forming on your palm. Alternately, you can use tape to do the same. I used my handy dandy duct tape or masking tape.

BBS Signature
Scarface
Scarface
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2012-08-05 16:46:29 Reply

At 8/5/12 04:44 PM, SolidToad wrote: Alternately, you can use tape to do the same. I used my handy dandy duct tape or masking tape.

Okay, thanks, I'll try that.

BBS Signature
Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2012-08-05 18:11:59 Reply

At 8/5/12 09:06 AM, SolidToad wrote: He sounds like an unintelligent tool. More than likely he has no clue what he's doing unless he's using machines which are pretty hard to fuck up. If he is trying to build mass, shorter workouts with greatly heavier weights are required, and if it took him 2 hours to do legs, whether he knows it or not, he'll only end up toning them, not growing huge mass.

Well he at least uses some machines. But I don't understand what he's doing at all. I don't know how anyone can just not record what they're doing. I've always written it down on sheets or notebooks and now I have fitocracy too. How do you know you're improving if you don't know when to increase or can't see your progression so you know for sure what changes you need to make if any? I'll go with him one day and see what the hell's up. He was with three other people so for all I know he spent most of that time chatting rather than lifting.

So you do like what I've heard described as "FMJ"? I believe it's where you do like, everything in one day, then rest, then everything again?

What's that stand for? Yeah I do pretty much just that. I've been running and doing yoga on my rest days though. I'm starting to wonder if I should only run on days I lift because it's making my recovery take longer by running on rest days? I heard running at all lengthens recovery and doing all in one day means you need quicker recovery. I don't want to cut out running completely, but I'd be willing to reduce it if it meant more power on lifting days.
I absolutely AM doing yoga though. Lifting really kills my flexibility and I always was pretty flexible, so yoga is essential to me to keep me stretchy. lol.

If you really want to get ahead, I'd recommend a preworkout supplement if you don't already have one.

No, I haven't been taking any supplements. Just eating lots of protein and veggies and other healthy stuff. What do you recommend?

BBS Signature
Mumbo
Mumbo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2012-08-05 18:32:31 Reply

At 8/5/12 06:11 PM, Sensationalism wrote: He was with three other people so for all I know he spent most of that time chatting rather than lifting.

Yeah, that's likely. That, or they had to take turns on the equipment. Which is why I go it alone~

What's that stand for? Yeah I do pretty much just that. I've been running and doing yoga on my rest days though. I'm starting to wonder if I should only run on days I lift because it's making my recovery take longer by running on rest days? I heard running at all lengthens recovery and doing all in one day means you need quicker recovery. I don't want to cut out running completely, but I'd be willing to reduce it if it meant more power on lifting days.
I absolutely AM doing yoga though. Lifting really kills my flexibility and I always was pretty flexible, so yoga is essential to me to keep me stretchy. lol.

I'd avoid running when you do legs because it counteracts some of the "build" you get from working out, but other than that, running just gets your cardio in for the day, as far as I know or really, as far as I'm concerned. I would personally rather use a punching bag for cardio workouts rather than running, but mine broke :<

No, I haven't been taking any supplements. Just eating lots of protein and veggies and other healthy stuff. What do you recommend?

NOEXPLODE is pretty good, but you have to cycle that stuff on and off so that you don't damage your kidneys. Everyone thinks Presups are cheating, or they're terrible for you, but that's only when you use it incorrectly.

Preworkout supplements, in basic, make you able to work harder and longer.

SPOILERS- DON'T READ IF YOU WANT MAX EFFECT :P

A lot of it is placebo, so you think it'll help, then it does. That kind of thing. But it also supplies you with a bit more energy as well.

BBS Signature
neolinked
neolinked
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2012-08-05 23:38:56 Reply

I usually work out at home a lot with calisthenics. I have a gym membership, but I only go like twice a week.

I've also been trying to shape up my diet after re-reading this fitness article I read. I'm proud of my self for skipping out on chocolate creme pie today! This article is the most inspiring thing I've ever read. It focuses a lot on the mental aspect of keeping good health http://www.dogentricks.com/videos/Revision.doc

Click pic for my best trance song

BBS Signature
Mumbo
Mumbo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2012-08-06 00:09:37 Reply

At 8/5/12 10:52 PM, e-lord wrote: where does everyone here work out? at home? local gym? school gym?

right now i go to my old high school gym

i still have to pay since i'm no longer a student, but it's still really cheap, even if the equipment ain't all that great

what about you guys?

I used to go to Gold's, but then my house maid gave me a free Weider home gym that they no longer used, and I had a decent bar and weights.

BBS Signature
Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2012-08-06 02:10:51 Reply

Thanks, SolidToad!

At 8/5/12 10:52 PM, e-lord wrote: where does everyone here work out? at home? local gym? school gym?

right now i go to my old high school gym

i still have to pay since i'm no longer a student, but it's still really cheap, even if the equipment ain't all that great

what about you guys?

In high school, I worked out at the high school weight room and at home.

After high school, I work out at home.

I'm interested in also getting a gym membership. I love being completely alone when I work out but some of my equipment and weights are really ghetto cuz I'm too poor to update or get certain weights. So it'd be nice to have better equipment. Like right now when I do standing squats with a barbell, I have to pick it up off the bench press. Then push it over my head onto my shoulders, do my set, and put it back over my head then down to the holder. It's shit and kinda hard to do compared to just using a squat rack thing.

BBS Signature
Mumbo
Mumbo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2012-08-06 10:38:10 Reply

At 8/6/12 02:10 AM, Sensationalism wrote: Thanks, SolidToad!

Any time~

I'm interested in also getting a gym membership. I love being completely alone when I work out but some of my equipment and weights are really ghetto cuz I'm too poor to update or get certain weights. So it'd be nice to have better equipment. Like right now when I do standing squats with a barbell, I have to pick it up off the bench press. Then push it over my head onto my shoulders, do my set, and put it back over my head then down to the holder. It's shit and kinda hard to do compared to just using a squat rack thing.

Haha, if that's ghetto, then I guess I am too. A squat rack would be nice so that I don't fuck over my back. I'm thinking of building one next summer when I've got the time and materials.

BBS Signature
Scarface
Scarface
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2012-08-06 22:06:46 Reply

At 8/5/12 10:52 PM, e-lord wrote: what about you guys?

I work out at home.

I have a bench with four heights of inclination, and a leg press. I've got two 20 lb dumbbells, two 12 lb dumbbells, and a pull-up bar that I can mount on a door frame. Between all of that, I've been able to do all that I need to very inexpensively.

The bench (which came with 150 lbs) cost $99, the pull-up bar was $20, the 20lb dumbbells were also about $20, and the 12 lbs dumbbells were a gift from a friend. So for $140, I've got all the exercise equipment I need whenever I want it, and I don't have to renew a membership or drive somewhere.

IMO, working out from home is best, especially if you're not comfortable with your body.

BBS Signature
Scarface
Scarface
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2012-08-06 22:32:02 Reply

At 8/6/12 10:27 PM, Rhinocerider wrote: Anyway, I don't have any of my plates and shit, so yeah. Anyone got some good bodyweight exercises? Core is covered already, but I still need everything else lol. And pretty much everything Google gives me for upper-body requires a pull-up bar.

What equipment do you have right now?

Any runners here?

I don't own a treadmill, but what I normally do is run back and forth in my basement. I measured the distance from wall to wall, so I know how many times I need to go back and forth to go a mile. It's pretty effective, I can run for longer each time and I'm not as tired.

BBS Signature
Mumbo
Mumbo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2012-08-06 22:54:33 Reply

At 8/6/12 10:51 PM, Rhinocerider wrote:
At 8/6/12 10:32 PM, Scarface wrote:
At 8/6/12 10:27 PM, Rhinocerider wrote: Anyway, I don't have any of my plates and shit, so yeah. Anyone got some good bodyweight exercises? Core is covered already, but I still need everything else lol. And pretty much everything Google gives me for upper-body requires a pull-up bar.

Dips are upper body, and you do those, you can do pushups too. Or you could come to my pad and use my equipment.

BBS Signature
Scarface
Scarface
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2012-08-06 23:55:55 Reply

At 8/6/12 11:08 PM, Rhinocerider wrote: Yeah, but I need to do more than just dips, you know? And yeah, some pushup variations seem pretty effective.

If you have anything heavy in your house, you could try benching, squatting, and possibly curling with it. A filing cabinet, a speaker, a large office chair, a small table, a spare tire, or the end side of a couch, for instance.

BBS Signature
Mumbo
Mumbo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2012-08-07 19:06:22 Reply

At 8/6/12 11:55 PM, Scarface wrote: If you have anything heavy in your house, you could try benching, squatting, and possibly curling with it. A filing cabinet, a speaker, a large office chair, a small table, a spare tire, or the end side of a couch, for instance.

Oh trust me, Rhino knows 'bout them squats

BBS Signature
Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2012-08-08 00:42:22 Reply

I felt really shitty and tired my last workout, I made it a bit shorter than usual. I'm blaming it on not eating or sleeping enough. So tonight I plan on fixing my sleep schedule and that way I also will not wake up too late and forget to eat.

At 8/6/12 11:55 PM, Scarface wrote:
At 8/6/12 11:08 PM, Rhinocerider wrote: Yeah, but I need to do more than just dips, you know? And yeah, some pushup variations seem pretty effective.
If you have anything heavy in your house, you could try benching, squatting, and possibly curling with it. A filing cabinet, a speaker, a large office chair, a small table, a spare tire, or the end side of a couch, for instance.

Milk jugs filled with water. Or with cement. Idk I don't find it easy to stay motivated that way. Before we gave away our outdoor playset I would use the monkey bars for pull ups and for that one backbend thingy that works your back muscles/core. Anyway, so even the local playground could provide you with access to a few things. You've just got to be creative and motivated.

I remember when my mom would work out at home and was a stay-at-home mother. She'd sometimes use my brother and I during her workout. Like we'd get to grab onto her legs and be picked up that way(like leg extension), stuff like that. We thought it was lots of fun and she got some extra weight resistance.

BBS Signature
Mumbo
Mumbo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2012-08-09 22:23:58 Reply

At 8/9/12 10:04 PM, Rhinocerider wrote: Also, Ronnie Coleman walks on the treadmill at home.

Sir Coleman walks while he eats his 4 dozen eggs I do believe.

BBS Signature