Phantox
Phantox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2011-11-21 18:13:25 Reply

At 11/21/11 08:03 AM, Heretic-Anchorite wrote:
I was interested more in recommendations on how to get fir with my lack of equipment.

Get a gym membership or do pushups, squats, and dips

Shaun
Shaun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2011-11-22 01:43:11 Reply

Getting too huge. Need new clothes. Bit annoying.
Loving how I look these days though.

YEAH FOR WORKING OUT AND SHIT!

// Sig Makers // WWE Fans // Tumblr //

BBS Signature
Phantox
Phantox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2011-11-23 03:31:21 Reply

At 11/22/11 01:43 AM, Shaun wrote: Getting too huge. Need new clothes. Bit annoying.
Loving how I look these days though.

YEAH FOR WORKING OUT AND SHIT!

I know that feel

metalstorm
metalstorm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2011-11-26 10:44:05 Reply

At 11/8/11 02:59 PM, Phantox wrote:
>2011
>Thinking that the only way to lose weight is cardio

It is not the only way to lose weight but it is undoubtedly the most efficient/fastest way of loosing weight

>2011
>not running during legs and back day

Actually, there is research to suggest that doing strength and cardiovascular training at the same time or within about 2 hours of each other counterproductive to both strength and cardiovascular gains. I can't recall the actual physiology of it but if you want I could try and find the article.

>2011
>having more than 1 rest day

Limiting yourself to a maximum of only one rest day is actually pretty stupid. As a general rule you should never workout with a muscle if it is still sore from a previous workout.

>2011
>static stretching before lifting

The effect that stretching has on a muscles ability to generate power is pretty minimal. It is usually somewhere in the range of 1 to 3% so unless you are an olympic sprinter or a professional bodybuilder it's not really an issue.

>2011
>not landing on your toes first when you are running

I'm currently doing an honours year in biomechanics with a specific focus on gait and I can tell you that landing on your toes first during running is an abnormal gait and if you run like this you will eventually injure yourself. If you have a normal gait the first part of your foot to contact the ground will be the outside of your heel and that is why that area of the shoe will often sustain the most wear. Also, if you look at the heel of a good running shoe you will notice that on the outside of the heel is at a 15 to 20 degree angle with the ground and this is to increase the surface area of the shoe in contact with the ground when the shoe contacts the ground. I know I have done a terrible job of explaining that so I have included a picture to demmonstrate my point.

>2011
>not staying at the gym for at least an hour and a half (not including time spent changing out/in the showers)

There is no good reason to spend ages in the gym. If you are doing an intense workout you would actually be better off doing a shorter workout. If you are in the gym for an hour plus doing an intense workout you are just going to deplete your phospho-creatine and ATP stores and once they are gone continuing with your workout is more or less pointless.

>>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym

Sig by madknt
Sig pinkified by jackmorrison

BBS Signature
ArmouredGRIFFON
ArmouredGRIFFON
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Reader
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2011-11-26 14:20:01 Reply

At 11/26/11 10:44 AM, metalstorm wrote:
At 11/8/11 02:59 PM, Phantox wrote:
Limiting yourself to a maximum of only one rest day is actually pretty stupid. As a general rule you should never workout with a muscle if it is still sore from a previous workout.

How is it that when I am swapping around regimes, if I push myself to work when I was sore in one day, for about 2 weeks, my body eventually seems to adapt to having the muscle sort of no longer sore by then. The soreness goes away quicker so to say. And not because the muscle is getting better.

For instance if my pec's are sore Thursday but I work them out that day, then they will be fine on the same regime the next week. If I work out on the Friday instead, then they will be fine on the Friday and not the Thursday.

I'm just interested in the process is all.

Your friendly neighbourhood devils advocate.

BBS Signature
jackripperz
jackripperz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Filmmaker
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2011-11-30 04:13:01 Reply

Hey there. I need help. So I've been trying to bulk up a bit because frankly, I think I'm too weak.

I have no weights, hence, most of my exercises are bodyweight based and running. Here's an info on me :

Height : 164cm
Weight : 59kg
Routines : Classic Puships, Shoulder End Pushups, Explosive Pushups, Squats, V-Ups, Side-V's, Bicycles, Core stabilization and Supermans (For my lower back.)

Here's the problem. I can do half of the other end my routine but when it comes to pushups, I just can't do it! I can barely do 10 reps before I feel all weak in my arms. Does anyone knows why? I mean, I can do two sets of Bicycles, Crunches and V-Ups (it hurts like hell but I can do it) but whenever it comes to Pushups, it just feels like my face is going to kiss the floor!

Anyone got any tips? Is it my biceps or the triceps that's so weak that I can't even do a freaking pushup? :C

The Gentleman. Beating you in everyway.

BBS Signature
Phantox
Phantox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2011-11-30 13:44:01 Reply

Started a seasonal job at UPS. Saying hello to my functional strength

Scarface
Scarface
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2012-01-15 22:32:59 Reply

Is it bad if I do somewhat of a lazy workout routine? I work out at my house, as opposed to going to the gym. I work out every day, but instead of a high impact workout for an hour or so, I do a several hour long workout consisting of short bursts of lifting weights and resting. This is, of course, not to minimize the amount of lifting that I do, but I was wondering if doing that is significantly worse than doing a short, high impact work out.

Opinions?

Rules of the BBS - Meme - Jeff
Thanks to Donut for the SIG!

BBS Signature
Phantox
Phantox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2012-01-16 02:26:14 Reply

At 1/15/12 10:32 PM, Scarface wrote:
Opinions?

Are you lifting for power, strength, mass, or endurance?

Phantox
Phantox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2012-01-16 02:36:43 Reply

At 1/15/12 10:41 PM, Travis wrote: Been wanting to start "lifting" for awhile now.

I was wondering about excersizes I can do easily at home with dumbbells (did I spell that right) because I need to build some muscle mass and start get a toned look.

Also, any links on a muscle building diet for a kid who's 6'2'' 165 would be greatly appreciated.

Basically I just want to have a tone/lean look to me that resembles muscle tone and I want to build some strength for my own gain.

You have to remember that the best part to getting the body you want is to eat properly. I prefer the high protein, low fat diets. Always look in the nutrition facts of food and never eat more than 6g of fat per meal. Also, make sure you count your serving sizes and your calories. You'd want to cut so eat around 1000 - 1500 calories per day.

As for exercises, you can do everything with dumbells. Remember not to only workout your arms because you'll end up looking like an idiot.

This is my routine:

Monday (Chest and shoulders)
barbell press
upright rows
dumbell press
military press

Tuesday (Legs and back):
Squats
bent legged deadlift
Military press
Squats
Run

Wednesday (Arms and core):
Bicep curl
Crunches
Tricep curls
Crunches
Upright rows
Crunches

Thursday (Chest and Shoulders):
barbell press
upright rows
dumbell press
military press

Friday (Legs and back):
Squats
bent legged deadlift
Military press
Squats
Run

Saturday (Arms and core):
Bicep curl
Crunches
Tricep curls
Crunches
Upright rows
Crunches

Sunday:
Rest

You can do all of the exercises listed with dumbells. Since you want mass, do 4 - 5 sets with each set having 6 - 10 repetitions. Remember that if you have a stomach to lose that first before you start dong a lot of crunches that way muscle doesn't build under your fat and you have to spend longer time getting rid of the fat on your stomach

Shaun
Shaun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2012-01-16 04:42:42 Reply

At 1/16/12 04:39 AM, Travis wrote:
At 1/16/12 04:32 AM, Travis wrote: Know anyplace that sells dumbbells cheap?
Actually... would this be a good starter dumbbell for me?

I'm going to go with no, its rather light and not very good quality.
Join a gym.

BBS Signature
Spilda-Bongwata
Spilda-Bongwata
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Movie Buff
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2012-01-16 04:57:11 Reply

so i basically eat everything and anything i want and cant gain weight

im not fucking sick either but ive heard smoking cigarettes/marijuana can somehow stop you from gaining weight

all my friends have been growing though and now they're like mostly 150-160

today i cooked filet minion wrapped in bacon and a bag of cheetos

BBS Signature
Shaun
Shaun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2012-01-16 06:19:39 Reply

At 1/16/12 04:57 AM, Spilda-Bongwata wrote: today i cooked filet minion wrapped in bacon and a bag of cheetos

Eat healthier, eat more, eat more often. Supplement with a weight gain protein powder.
Also, steroids.

BBS Signature
Scarface
Scarface
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2012-01-16 11:28:38 Reply

At 1/16/12 02:26 AM, Phantox wrote:
At 1/15/12 10:32 PM, Scarface wrote:
Opinions?
Are you lifting for power, strength, mass, or endurance?

I suppose endurance, since all I have it 20 lbs dumbells, but I do a lot of reps in a set with them.

BBS Signature
Phantox
Phantox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2012-01-17 15:10:08 Reply

At 1/16/12 04:32 AM, Travis wrote:
Also could I supplement running with a stationary bike? (I've heard running puts a lot of wear and tear on your body)

Yes. Preferably a regular bike. Running doesn't do much to your body if you do it right. Running on your toes is the way to run and people don't know that

I've read I can have "cheat days" when it comes to eating. I am a huge fan of making my own pizza and I was wondering if this was possible.

Never do cheat days. It's the worst thing you can do.

And lastly, is there any websites out there that has a list of good foods or should I just go the DIY route?

Just check the nutrition facts for the foods you want. Remember that chicken from fast foods is not the same as chicken made at home. Fast foods use a lot of grease and oil, which adds fat and calories

At 1/16/12 04:39 AM, Travis wrote:
Actually... would this be a good starter dumbbell for me?

Yes.

At 1/16/12 04:57 AM, Spilda-Bongwata wrote: so i basically eat everything and anything i want and cant gain weight

im not fucking sick either but ive heard smoking cigarettes/marijuana can somehow stop you from gaining weight

all my friends have been growing though and now they're like mostly 150-160

today i cooked filet minion wrapped in bacon and a bag of cheetos

Eat more. 3000 calories per day. You're like me, you have a high metabolism

At 1/16/12 11:28 AM, Scarface wrote:
I suppose endurance, since all I have it 20 lbs dumbells, but I do a lot of reps in a set with them.

Well since you're doing endurance, it doesn't really matter if you do quick bursts. Increase the weight and you'll have more options. For power is what requires quick bursts of 1 - 3 reps per set.

Scarface
Scarface
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2012-01-17 17:03:39 Reply

At 1/17/12 03:10 PM, Phantox wrote:
At 1/16/12 11:28 AM, Scarface wrote:
Well since you're doing endurance, it doesn't really matter if you do quick bursts. Increase the weight and you'll have more options. For power is what requires quick bursts of 1 - 3 reps per set.

I wish I could. Since I'm not doing any sports, and I'm a drummer, I require mostly (not only, but mostly) upper body strength. However, with what I have, I can make little improvement. I require stamina, of course, as a drummer, but there comes a point where I simply need more weight.

Given that, would a bench set be worth the money if I used it regularly?

BBS Signature
Quinny
Quinny
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Gamer
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2012-01-17 17:09:39 Reply

Didn't get a lot done at gymnastics. Blaming my below par performance on the stupid heaters. Like being hit with a death ray when you stand under them. And there were no girls either, I was dissapoint.

TEABAGGIN' AIN'T EASY

English Gents Club | 5th on PS3 Trophy Leaderboard | PSN: KillSwitch_Bob | Sig by Ryan

BBS Signature
Phantox
Phantox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2012-01-17 18:26:08 Reply

At 1/17/12 05:03 PM, Scarface wrote:
Given that, would a bench set be worth the money if I used it regularly?

Yes but if you have dumbells those work better to work out your arms since that's what you would probably use most in drumming. You can do upright rows, tricep extensions, and bicep curls. Wrist curls also work well

Elfer
Elfer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2012-01-18 18:43:12 Reply

At 1/17/12 03:10 PM, Phantox wrote: Yes. Preferably a regular bike. Running doesn't do much to your body if you do it right. Running on your toes is the way to run and people don't know that

Running on your toes is the way to sprint. If you're going for a longer distance you'll give yourself shin splints.

Also, everyone has a slightly different gait for running. I'd say that when I run, my heel makes contact with the ground first, but I roll through to the middle of my foot before I put any weight on it.

Phantox
Phantox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2012-01-18 19:14:44 Reply

At 1/18/12 06:43 PM, Elfer wrote:
Running on your toes is the way to sprint. If you're going for a longer distance you'll give yourself shin splints.

Not true. Running on one's toes is the natural way of running. Try running barefoot without landing on your toes first and see how much it hurts.

Elfer
Elfer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2012-01-20 10:13:07 Reply

At 1/18/12 07:14 PM, Phantox wrote: Not true. Running on one's toes is the natural way of running. Try running barefoot without landing on your toes first and see how much it hurts.

Well, barefoot running is a somewhat different activity. When I run barefoot, I still tend to land mid-foot because it feels like the most fluid motion to me.

There's a certain technique to landing toes-first, and it's not the same thing as "running on your toes." You still put your heel down, you just do it after your toes to minimize the force of impact. It's a toe-heel strike instead of a heel-toe strike.

Toes-only, where your heel doesn't strike at all, is really only useful for short distances when you want to put a lot of power and speed into your strides, like when you're sprinting.

Elfer
Elfer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2012-01-21 12:32:28 Reply

At 1/20/12 08:41 PM, Travis wrote: I will still have the occasional pizza though. I just have to much fun making those.

Know what's a good trick for making pizza healthier? Use no cheese or barely any cheese. People are often opposed to the idea but it really doesn't make it worse, it's just different.

Spilda-Bongwata
Spilda-Bongwata
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Movie Buff
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2012-01-22 06:22:00 Reply

lol so i put on 5 pounds time to turn that shit into muscle right?

BBS Signature
Spilda-Bongwata
Spilda-Bongwata
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Movie Buff
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2012-01-22 06:25:02 Reply

i should probably mention im still a long time away from reaching my current weight goal

BBS Signature
Dromedary
Dromedary
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Melancholy
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2012-01-22 20:07:06 Reply

Putting on mass is so hard.

MrPercie on Dromedary: "smug santa claus face, bringing nicieties to those he likes but shite to those he hates - which is everyone"

Sig by this dude

BBS Signature
Canas
Canas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Artist
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2012-01-23 21:34:45 Reply

At 1/22/12 03:40 PM, Travis wrote: Is it smarter to eat a high protein breakfast BEFORE or AFTER I workout?

I'm partial to saying before, not for any specific reason other than the fact that it seems too much a shock to the body to starve yourself for 8 hours of sleep and consequently tear the shit out of yourself immediately after. I can't imagine that kind of spike being healthy, whether you "gain mass" quicker or not.

-----

Just moved downtown in to a townhouse with a gym in the complex, so life is pretty good. Been getting back in to the work out schedule pretty smoothly, mostly to just get back in to shape. No real goals or targets and aesthetic aspirations, I'd just like to feel good and feel better. Packing on a few more pounds wouldn't hurt though

Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2012-01-24 05:33:43 Reply

At 1/21/12 12:32 PM, Elfer wrote:
At 1/20/12 08:41 PM, Travis wrote: I will still have the occasional pizza though. I just have to much fun making those.
Know what's a good trick for making pizza healthier? Use no cheese or barely any cheese. People are often opposed to the idea but it really doesn't make it worse, it's just different.

Reminds me how I adjusted to tea without milk - dairy products are more habit then any actual contribution to food.

I figured I may as well post here. Hey, why not?

Been neglecting half of the fitness regime - nutrition. While I'm working out harder then ever (mostly to compensate), I'm losing mass and it's hard not to notice. Mostly this is an attempt to eat cheap ever since living on my own.

Is there any real way to eat healthy through Queensland's ridiculous jacked up prices, or am I just going to have to shill out?

Quinny
Quinny
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Gamer
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2012-01-24 07:22:48 Reply

Gymnastics was good, some new girls joined as well so things are looking up. Still haven't nailed my trampoline trick though yet and I bailed more than usual on the floor. I know I enjoyed myself though because of all the sweat on my back, there wasn't half as much last week when it was quiet.

TEABAGGIN' AIN'T EASY

English Gents Club | 5th on PS3 Trophy Leaderboard | PSN: KillSwitch_Bob | Sig by Ryan

BBS Signature
Shaun
Shaun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2012-01-25 09:08:10 Reply

At 1/22/12 03:40 PM, Travis wrote: Ok... I have a problem...

I get a 15-25 minute break at my job depending on how long I work.

canned tuna.

BBS Signature
Jester
Jester
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to >>Fitness Club<< -- Newgrounds Gym 2012-01-25 21:42:04 Reply

How much should I be bench pressing if i'm 15, 140 pounds, and 5 foot 10? I just tried it for the first time today and can only do 80 pounds, because I do absolutely no exercise that primarily works the pecs or triceps. I just want to know what weight I should make my goal.