00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TheADHX just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Auto-Tone raped my ears.

1,802 Views | 31 Replies

Auto-Tone raped my ears. 2010-01-22 12:21:01

So all these modern-day rappers who can't sing for shit must of somehow learned how to use a computer because every song I here on the radio is goddamn auto-toned. I don't EVER listen to rap, I'm more of a techno kinda' guy. I picked up Scooter's new single ( Under The Radar Over The Top) at HMV earlier today. There's the intro, mellow, slow. Then the hardcore starts, and HP starts singing..

And what is this? He's auto-toned himself to nothing.. He sounds like a robot. He carries notes out long enough just to pack in about 3-4 changes in the tone.. Auto-tone killed my favorite band... I heard there new songs on web radio but I thought that was just the DJs being dicks with there equipment.

Has this happened to you, your ears raped by this synthetic shit? I know there is probably a thread about how everyone is using auto-toners (or Vocoders as I so thought), but I'm pissed. You don't do that to hardcore music like this, it's not right.

Every single song in this album...

MoeMoeMoeMoeMoe

BBS Signature

Response to Auto-Tone raped my ears. 2010-01-22 12:29:37

Scooter isn't hardcore. And I think a vocoder is ok if it fits into the song (like Daft Punk). But yeah rap does not call for an auto-tuner or a vocoder in my opinion.

Who's your warden, baby?

BBS Signature

Response to Auto-Tone raped my ears. 2010-01-22 12:33:35

At 1/22/10 12:29 PM, Saxturbation wrote: Scooter isn't hardcore.

Gah, mis-typed.

MoeMoeMoeMoeMoe

BBS Signature

Response to Auto-Tone raped my ears. 2010-01-22 12:35:30

Am I like, the only person online who isn't bothered by auto-tune? I mean, yeah, obnoxious use aside. But using it to create that robot-effect in a chorus just doesnn't grate my ears. It's just the new thing in music industry; it can be used for good and bad.

Messing around with vocals can be done for two reasons; to fix or hide mistakes, or to create an effect and amplify the voice. The former is worse than the latter.

I don't take revenue from my profile.

TV Tropes Wiki

BBS Signature

Response to Auto-Tone raped my ears. 2010-01-22 12:38:48

At 1/22/10 12:35 PM, JohnnyWang wrote: Am I like, the only person online who isn't bothered by auto-tune? I mean, yeah, obnoxious use aside. But using it to create that robot-effect in a chorus just doesnn't grate my ears. It's just the new thing in music industry; it can be used for good and bad.

Messing around with vocals can be done for two reasons; to fix or hide mistakes, or to create an effect and amplify the voice. The former is worse than the latter.

I'm not bothered by auto-tuning, I just believe it has it's place. I like the gritty rap, the dirty stuff ya know? I don't wanna hear an auto-tuned R&B voice in the middle of a rap song, that's all. I believe it was solely created for electronic music and for correcting tone, not for effects used in EVERY song.

Who's your warden, baby?

BBS Signature

Response to Auto-Tone raped my ears. 2010-01-22 12:47:12

At 1/22/10 12:21 PM, Encypo wrote: So all these modern-day rappers who can't sing for shit

The whole point of rap is letting people who can't sing or write music make money.

BBS Signature

Response to Auto-Tone raped my ears. 2010-01-22 12:48:12

At 1/22/10 12:44 PM, PrinceFlea wrote: I'm not familar with any modern artist who use Auto Tune other Ke$ha, Owl City not all singers from last decade have used it. Why Was Auto-tone made?

Listen to T-Pain. Most of his songs have it in it. Actually I would say that most R&B artists use it nowadays.

Who's your warden, baby?

BBS Signature

Response to Auto-Tone raped my ears. 2010-01-22 13:13:22

attack attack uses auto tune

i like it, its diferent and fresh

BBS Signature

Response to Auto-Tone raped my ears. 2010-01-22 13:14:05

At 1/22/10 12:29 PM, Saxturbation wrote: Scooter isn't hardcore. And I think a vocoder is ok if it fits into the song (like Daft Punk).

Yeah, this is important to note. Autotone isn't inherently bad. It's just an effect that has its place in certain genres, like techno/electronica.

I do agree that it's overused in today's pop music, but I wouldn't say that it's painful to my ears. It doesn't really bother me, being that I'd rather hear autotone than off-key singing, albeit of course someone who can actually sing would be preferred overall.

[quote]

whoa art what

BBS Signature

Response to Auto-Tone raped my ears. 2010-01-22 13:15:16

WTF is auto tone

OOOOOhhhhh you mean pitch correction otherwise known as auto TUNE

Response to Auto-Tone raped my ears. 2010-01-22 13:27:15

Scooter isn't techno

Response to Auto-Tone raped my ears. 2010-01-22 13:31:52

At 1/22/10 01:26 PM, PrinceFlea wrote:
At 1/22/10 01:13 PM, ChaDMcBaDD wrote: attack attack uses auto tune

i like it, its diferent and fresh
Maybe for now it is fresh

exactly, thats why its fucking fresh. -_-"

BBS Signature

Response to Auto-Tone raped my ears. 2010-01-22 13:34:44

Joe McElderry's version of The Climb has been auto-toned.

Bit worrying when the winner of a nationwide singing competition is auto-toned iyam.

Some people feel content to pour syrup on shit and call it pancakes their whole lives.

Response to Auto-Tone raped my ears. 2010-01-22 13:38:53

At 1/22/10 01:15 PM, SymbolCymbal wrote: WTF is auto tone

OOOOOhhhhh you mean pitch correction otherwise known as auto TUNE

Oh whatever it's one letter. I originally used the word Vocoder when writing this, but that term has been trashed by the media for sometime apperently.

MoeMoeMoeMoeMoe

BBS Signature

Response to Auto-Tone raped my ears. 2010-01-22 13:39:54

i deserve death

dont click the link this account is shit and fuck me

BBS Signature

Response to Auto-Tone raped my ears. 2010-01-22 13:46:07

At 1/22/10 01:38 PM, PrinceFlea wrote: With the exception that it's not exactly a new thing.

it is for -core type music.

BBS Signature

Response to Auto-Tone raped my ears. 2010-01-22 14:14:51

That's the point of Auto-Tune, to sound like a robot. It's mostly a crutch nowadays, though original it was to, you know, help if they were a bit off pitch.
I almost laughed AND bitch-slapped a hoe when she thought Ke$ha, the next Katy Perry/Lady Gaga wanna-be, could sing. She's Auto-Tuned so much that she probably IS a robot. But no! "She can sing!" "Everyone likes Auto-Tune." I wanted to beat her so bad... but that would be a hate crime, and I love her. : Also, the fact that she was several miles away proved that I wasn't Mr. Fantastic.

BLM | ANTIFA

Life's a performance, so give it your all like it's your last show.

MINDCHAMBER DREW THE CAST FOR MY GAME WOW

BBS Signature

Response to Auto-Tone raped my ears. 2010-01-22 14:17:46

You're complaining about auto-tone, and you like techno? FAIL.

"Well shit, Daniel, I just left!"

LOL? LOL LOL LOL

BBS Signature

Response to Auto-Tone raped my ears. 2010-01-22 14:28:44

Auto-tone has definitely swept mainstream music by storm over the most recent past years. However, not everyone has bought into it.

A big name rapper named "Jay-Z" released a song last year labeled "Death of Auto-Tone". Link.

And in this video, Weird Al explains auto tone! Second link.

Response to Auto-Tone raped my ears. 2010-01-22 14:32:01

At 1/22/10 02:28 PM, SlipperyMooseCakes wrote: Auto-tone has definitely swept mainstream music by storm over the most recent past years. However, not everyone has bought into it.

A big name rapper named "Jay-Z" released a song last year labeled "Death of Auto-Tone". Link.

And in this video, Weird Al explains auto tone! Second link.

D.O.A. (Death of Auto-Tune) = <3

BLM | ANTIFA

Life's a performance, so give it your all like it's your last show.

MINDCHAMBER DREW THE CAST FOR MY GAME WOW

BBS Signature

Response to Auto-Tone raped my ears. 2010-01-22 14:36:31

Damnit it's called auto-TUNE and Jay-Zs album was called "death of auto-TUNE" . Not that I like him but at least he's not doing it like everyone else. But yeah there are too many overly auto-tuned mainstream songs and artists. I'll just stick to my blend of grunges and alternatives.

Response to Auto-Tone raped my ears. 2010-01-22 15:33:30

When do gay-tards shut the fuck up about the usage of auto-tune?

BBS Signature

Response to Auto-Tone raped my ears. 2010-01-22 15:37:33

That's extremely disappointing. I appreciate true artists that don't tune their voices or guitars. They didn't have that thirty years ago. Now, every pop song is in some way tweaked. I guarantee you 20/20 of the pop artists will sound like shit live without technology to hide behind. To answer your question, yes, my ears are raped whenever I hear Fireflies, or Hannah Montana, or anything recent pop.

Response to Auto-Tone raped my ears. 2010-01-22 15:41:08

Yeah, I don't like that either. Not that I listen to a kind of music this often happens to.

Join chat | In Obscurity Forever.| Least noticed user '13? Vote for me!

Sig by Me.

BBS Signature

Response to Auto-Tone raped my ears. 2010-01-22 15:50:00

I prefer noise to be honest. I'd take the disortion over robots any day. Even though it's almost always created with technology.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XP1l8TGZ aQ Pure awesome.

Response to Auto-Tone raped my ears. 2010-01-22 15:55:02

At 1/22/10 03:37 PM, CapnCrunchDaPimp wrote: I guarantee you 20/20 of the pop artists will sound like shit live without technology to hide behind.

Save Lady Gaga.

You have to know your name.

LOOP

One day you'll all miss me.

BBS Signature

Response to Auto-Tone raped my ears. 2010-01-22 15:56:30

At 1/22/10 03:55 PM, AlphaCentauri wrote:
At 1/22/10 03:37 PM, CapnCrunchDaPimp wrote: I guarantee you 20/20 of the pop artists will sound like shit live without technology to hide behind.
Save Lady Gaga.

Dude, you must be joking. She's the queen of that shit. I'm pretty sure either she completely tunes all of her songs, or she's a robot.

Response to Auto-Tone raped my ears. 2010-01-22 16:08:00

At 1/22/10 03:56 PM, CapnCrunchDaPimp wrote:
At 1/22/10 03:55 PM, AlphaCentauri wrote:
Save Lady Gaga.
Dude, you must be joking. She's the queen of that shit. I'm pretty sure either she completely tunes all of her songs, or she's a robot.

Absolultly not. Watch this video. just Gaga, a piano, and a microphone. She sounds great.

You have to know your name.

LOOP

One day you'll all miss me.

BBS Signature

Response to Auto-Tone raped my ears. 2010-01-22 18:58:13

I don't understand the point in complaining about every little thing that's in the mainstream. What a waste of energy. You're just giving all the things you hate a voice since you're constantly talking about it.

|| Audio || Art ||

BBS Signature

Response to Auto-Tone raped my ears. 2010-01-22 19:01:33

At 1/22/10 12:47 PM, poxpower wrote:
At 1/22/10 12:21 PM, Encypo wrote: So all these modern-day rappers who can't sing for shit
The whole point of rap is letting people who can't sing or write music make money.

No, you're just another ignorant fool that doesn't like rap.

+1 Post plx [Dr. Pepper Crew] [Mushroom Dick]

BBS Signature