New Topic Respond to this Topic
statueofdiveo
statueofdiveo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Trying to find a smallish dnb label Jan. 17th, 2010 @ 09:53 AM Reply

I've started to make music that I think is worth going further with. But, I can't find any good independent labels. How does one go about finding the right label and right size label?

xKore
xKore
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Trying to find a smallish dnb label Jan. 17th, 2010 @ 10:25 AM Reply

the only smallish record label i know is ruse, but a good way to find more would probably be to go to a dnb forum (DOA), and you'll probably find loads of people with links to their labels in their sigs and stuff

boney-man
boney-man
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Trying to find a smallish dnb label Jan. 17th, 2010 @ 12:44 PM Reply

Make sure your music is actually REALLY GOOD before presenting it to a label. Drum & bass labels have high standards.

And it's not hard to find small labels, just google "Drum & Bass labels" lol.

But also, what do you mean by "smallish?" You mean one that doesn't have much recognition in the scene?

#1286129 // soundcloud.com/1shibumi

BBS Signature
Glib
Glib
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Trying to find a smallish dnb label Jan. 17th, 2010 @ 12:52 PM Reply

im going to be straight up here dude, ur not gonna get signed to a label at this time... keep making music, but ur just not going to get signed in the near future. ur gonna need to start playing shows probably, gigs, if anything, before u get signed. tis' a tuff process. u also need to know the right people.

amaterasu
amaterasu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Trying to find a smallish dnb label Jan. 17th, 2010 @ 01:20 PM Reply

At 1/17/10 12:52 PM, Glib wrote: ur gonna need to start playing shows probably, gigs, if anything, before u get signed. tis' a tuff process. u also need to know the right people.

Ok, I have some problems with this. You act as if getting signed by a label is a popularity contest. While that may be true for some labels, there are plenty that sign artists SOLELY based on their musical ability. See Anjunabeats for an example.

But I will say that playing your music live before trying to get signed definitely helps. This is because by watching a live audience reacting to your music, you can get a great feel for what works and what doesn't, and take that into consideration for future productions or to adjust your current ones. Also knowing people always helps regardless.

beep

BBS Signature
Glib
Glib
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Trying to find a smallish dnb label Jan. 17th, 2010 @ 05:07 PM Reply

At 1/17/10 01:20 PM, amaterasu wrote:
At 1/17/10 12:52 PM, Glib wrote: ur gonna need to start playing shows probably, gigs, if anything, before u get signed. tis' a tuff process. u also need to know the right people.
Ok, I have some problems with this. You act as if getting signed by a label is a popularity contest. While that may be true for some labels, there are plenty that sign artists SOLELY based on their musical ability. See Anjunabeats for an example.

But I will say that playing your music live before trying to get signed definitely helps. This is because by watching a live audience reacting to your music, you can get a great feel for what works and what doesn't, and take that into consideration for future productions or to adjust your current ones. Also knowing people always helps regardless.

you shouldnt have a fucking problem with what i said, because no where did i say or act that getting signed is a popularity contest. In fact, i know what im talking about. Do you know how hard it is getting signed these days? Even a small label, you better have some name for yourself before u go out looking for contracts and shit, being good at producing music is only a small portion of what gets u signed. u have to have a good attitude towards making music, a consistent output rate and many more things. This guy just isn't ready to be signed onto any label with his current productions skills and shit. Maybe in the future, but not anytime soon. If u think im being ignorant or an asshole, u clearly know nothing about the music industry, especially the drum and bass world

xKore
xKore
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Trying to find a smallish dnb label Jan. 17th, 2010 @ 05:16 PM Reply

At 1/17/10 05:07 PM, Glib wrote: i know what im talking about.

are you signed? jus wonderin.

Glib
Glib
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Trying to find a smallish dnb label Jan. 17th, 2010 @ 05:24 PM Reply

At 1/17/10 05:16 PM, xKore wrote:
At 1/17/10 05:07 PM, Glib wrote: i know what im talking about.
are you signed? jus wonderin.

no, im not signed.
ive just been making music for fun my whole life, never decided to take it seriously
but to back up what i said previously, im friends with music producers who ARE signed.

statueofdiveo
statueofdiveo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Trying to find a smallish dnb label Jan. 17th, 2010 @ 05:34 PM Reply

look, here's a demo. http://www.mediafire.com/?zbojugdm0zn

What level of deal do you think I can get in? How far can I go?

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Trying to find a smallish dnb label Jan. 17th, 2010 @ 05:43 PM Reply

At 1/17/10 05:07 PM, Glib wrote:
At 1/17/10 01:20 PM, amaterasu wrote:

bitch bitch moan moan.

I had a small label contact me a few weeks ago wondering if I was interested... I've played 0 live shows, and haven't even thought of trying to get signed.

I said no... Why? Because I'm going to school next month, tuition was paid before the label got ahold of me, and they wanted me to move out of province.

Audio/BBS Mod
News: The Inevitability - Music: The Inevitability - Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
Glib
Glib
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Trying to find a smallish dnb label Jan. 17th, 2010 @ 05:45 PM Reply

look man, im not going to be the one to burst your bubble, the song u posted isnt sounding bad.. its not my type of drum and bass, but any honest poster on here who knows something about producing knows you aren't yet on that level. do you even have a myspace where you post your music? thats pretty much 'step 1' these days
i wholeheartedly encourage u to keep making music tho, and something will eventually happen if you really want it to

AlexCo
AlexCo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Trying to find a smallish dnb label Jan. 17th, 2010 @ 05:51 PM Reply

Sorry guize, but I'm backing up Glib :3

Basically, its better for you to get around major Drum n Bass forums like what xKore said, Dogs on Acid, Lifted, Breakbeat... etc

A really good friend of mine set up his own site like, two months ago, and in the first week he earned £70, just because he has a name for himself.

Labels have come to him, he hasn't gone to them. You don't want to send stuff to labels since you can come across cocky, and if your stuff isn't good enough, its likely thy'll reject your stuff in future.

And you need to be absolutely positive about your production, it has to be perfect or else you just aren't going anywhere.

Convex
Convex
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Trying to find a smallish dnb label Jan. 17th, 2010 @ 06:20 PM Reply

At 1/17/10 05:51 PM, AlexCo wrote: A really good friend of mine set up his own site like, two months ago, and in the first week he earned £70, just because he has a name for himself.

:O Para? He's like teh best guy ever :3

Breed
Breed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Trying to find a smallish dnb label Jan. 17th, 2010 @ 06:54 PM Reply

It cost 5 to 20 dollars to register a business if you want to provide audio services, or 15 dollars per UPC code for distribution. Forget getting signed it hardly means anything in the electronica world unless your signed by a major label, and at that point all you are really looking for is marketing anyways. If you are looking to do mastering you just have to know a good mastering facility and your set. If you need law advice there are websites that can help you for a service fee(which a label will also charge you for + middleman fees if they dont have their own lawyer), and if you need recording well then...maybe you should try to get signed haha.

Anyways I listened to your demo and that realistically has no chance. Also you need more then just an mp3 for a "demo." Best chances are with a full quality wav(96/24) thats been professionally mastered and a biography/intent paragraph and a professional picture & graphic design of some sort. Also its better to both email and mail in a hard copy unless their website or other instructions say otherwise.

statueofdiveo
statueofdiveo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Trying to find a smallish dnb label Jan. 17th, 2010 @ 09:06 PM Reply

It's a demo of my demo.

My demo is a real track, I'm not about to give it away.

Liralei
Liralei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to Trying to find a smallish dnb label Jan. 17th, 2010 @ 11:45 PM Reply

At 1/17/10 01:20 PM, amaterasu wrote: Ok, I have some problems with this. You act as if getting signed by a label is a popularity contest. While that may be true for some labels, there are plenty that sign artists SOLELY based on their musical ability. See Anjunabeats for an example.

Anjuna's not the best example. They very rarely take absolutely new talent; usually they take artists who have already proven themselves on smaller labels. This is partially because talent often starts at small labels before trying to submit to the big names, but it's also because people are VERY rarely already up to Anjuna's standards without having ever signed a professional-level track before.

This goes for all the major trance labels.

As for D&B, it's not my genre, but I'm going to second everyone here who says that you really need to step up quality before shooting tracks off to labels, otherwise they're less likely to pay attention. Consistency & organization look good. Having a music site of some kind is the absolute LEAST necessity, and some visible way for people to contact you or get a sense of your music.

Labels get tons of demos a day. You need to stand out, & not in a bad way, either.

(professional) singer. songwriter. smartass.
{Facebook} // {Soundcloud}
Latest releases: Optic Echoes // Starclad

Mid-Night
Mid-Night
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Trying to find a smallish dnb label Jan. 18th, 2010 @ 02:23 AM Reply

At 1/17/10 05:34 PM, statueofdiveo wrote: look, here's a demo. http://www.mediafire.com/?zbojugdm0zn

What level of deal do you think I can get in? How far can I go?

Honestly, from this, I don't see this being able to get signed.

The mixdown really needs work.. DnB labels are all about the mixdowns dawg.

www.myspace.com/aeliasmn for must up to date tracks. :)

BBS Signature