New Topic Respond to this Topic
CloudEater
CloudEater
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to The Australian Club Jan. 25th, 2010 @ 11:49 PM Reply

At 1/25/10 08:47 PM, sushi13 wrote: We have this chart on our fridge and it's been somewhat useful for me. There are quite a lot of the black house spiders living in the eaves in the courtyard by our back door but I'm always looking out to make sure there aren't any redbacks or white tails. Although I would barely be able to tell the difference between a funnel web, a mouse spider and a trap door, especially if suddenly confronted with one. Some indiscriminate squishing would have to take place.

I'm extremely glad their aren't funnel webs in SA, and I don't think I've ever seen a mouse or trap-door spider here. I've seen the rest of the low risk ones and I still hate huntsmans no matter how harmless they are.

At 1/25/10 10:06 PM, JKAmovies wrote: Anyone else had any situations like this before?

Where abouts do you walk? park? throught the suburbs? I've never seen a snake that hasn't been in captivity or was a pet except when we were driving out in the country once and one slid across the road. Even when I would go up to my cousins farm out near Balaklava I never saw a snake :(

At 1/25/10 10:41 PM, sushi13 wrote: Anybody know what species of snake it could be?

No... I have no idea. Looks pretty evil though.

JKAmovies
JKAmovies
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Artist
Response to The Australian Club Jan. 26th, 2010 @ 12:12 AM Reply

At 1/25/10 10:41 PM, sushi13 wrote: Anybody know what species of snake it could be?

I think that's a Red Belly Black snake 'o'

At 1/25/10 10:06 PM, JKAmovies wrote: Anyone else had any situations like this before?
Where abouts do you walk? park? throught the suburbs? I've never seen a snake that hasn't been in captivity or was a pet except when we were driving out in the country once and one slid across the road. Even when I would go up to my cousins farm out near Balaklava I never saw a snake :(

Yeah, it's a park but it also leads out of town so it is away from a lot of houses and anything like that. It runs along a big lake as well.

NDC: 2011 ~ Twitter ~ Artwork ~ ©JKA

BBS Signature
sushi13
sushi13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to The Australian Club Jan. 26th, 2010 @ 12:51 AM Reply

At 1/26/10 12:12 AM, JKAmovies wrote:
I think that's a Red Belly Black snake 'o'

Wow what an inventive name lol. I just looked them up and that seems to be correct. Lucky it's not an aggressive species because I was sticking my mobile phone about 12 inches away from it.

axlisbak
axlisbak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to The Australian Club Jan. 26th, 2010 @ 01:34 AM Reply

anyone had any bad encounters with a blue tongue lizard aka shingleback?, theyre very common here, more than snakes because appearantly these angry bastards keep snakes away, i dont blame the snakes.
in case youve never seen one, theyre relatively large scaly lizards that have lockjaw, and after seeing how those toothless bastards can snap a stick the size of my middle finger out of rage, despite the fact it made its gums bleed like hell, you dont fuck with them, especially when drunk. my friend tried to pick up a 40cm big ass one head first when we were camping and ended up with a broken fore finger, he had to kill it 10 times over to make it let go,.after that experience if i see one ill leave it be....

wonder why the s.a. ones are way darker in appearance?

The Australian Club

Jamesrahh
Jamesrahh
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to The Australian Club Jan. 26th, 2010 @ 01:45 AM Reply

Hey, I'm joining up to the club. I did my sig a little dif but tried to keep it fairly simple and similar

mm.. HI

BBS Signature
PabMo
PabMo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to The Australian Club Jan. 26th, 2010 @ 01:54 AM Reply

At 1/25/10 07:44 PM, walterwagner wrote: I'll join for sure :D

Thanks Walter. Your signature is amazing. Who made it?

At 1/25/10 08:35 PM, sushi13 wrote: I've read every single post in here

This makes me feel much better. You're a good member then.

You don't even have the funnel webs in South Australia.

I'm thankful for this. Damn those vicious spiders. I lived in Canberra for a while, I'm not sure if they live there? Never seen one though. The toxicity of their venom seems disproportionate to what they need it for. Unless they were meant to eat us?

At 1/25/10 08:47 PM, sushi13 wrote: We have this chart on our fridge and it's been somewhat useful for me.

I've just seen 7 of those. Trapdoor was the most interesting to find. Out on a walk when I was like 10. Not sure if it was male or female though.

At 1/25/10 09:45 PM, axlisbak wrote: That flash should replace the original ad

It should! It's quite impressive for a single day's work right? Or at least that's what I remember reading.

PabMo
PabMo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to The Australian Club Jan. 26th, 2010 @ 02:08 AM Reply

At 1/25/10 10:06 PM, JKAmovies wrote: So I decide to step on it. . . Bad Idea, because it turned out that this spider was a mother spider holding over thousands of mini tiny little huntsmen spiders on her back, they were EVERYWHERE.

I would've done the same thing. Then I wouldn't feel comfortable in the house after that. Knowing there are hundreds of huntsmen growing up in the lounge room. I've seen those garden orb-weaving spiders (from the chart sushi posted) as well. I'm just glad I never walked into it's web and ended up with it on my face. I've heard old people have heart attacks from such an event. Understandable. And sure stepping on a snake might not be a good move.

PabMo
PabMo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to The Australian Club Jan. 26th, 2010 @ 02:43 AM Reply

At 1/26/10 01:34 AM, axlisbak wrote: bad encounters with a blue tongue lizard?

I've seen quite a few of them but never saw them as dangerous. Then again I've never picked one up so I guess I never learnt of their bite. I'd often see them with their jaw wide open though. A warning I suppose.

At 1/26/10 01:45 AM, Jamesrahh wrote: Hey, I'm joining up to the club. I did my sig a little dif but tried to keep it fairly simple and similar

Thanks for following the link. That's fine. But I can make a signature for you like mine (with your username under the club) if you want? Feel free to keep that one.
:This thread is quite active today. Must be because of Australia Day and the spirit of the occasion.

Jamesrahh
Jamesrahh
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to The Australian Club Jan. 26th, 2010 @ 03:01 AM Reply

At 1/26/10 01:45 AM, Jamesrahh wrote: Hey, I'm joining up to the club. I did my sig a little dif but tried to keep it fairly simple and similar
Thanks for following the link. That's fine. But I can make a signature for you like mine (with your username under the club) if you want? Feel free to keep that one.
This thread is quite active today. Must be because of Australia Day and the spirit of the occasion.

yeah i will keep this one for now, might change it later to join in suite.

haha tonight im making a great aussie dinner :D. rump steak, eggs and chips. mmm

mm.. HI

BBS Signature
PabMo
PabMo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to The Australian Club Jan. 26th, 2010 @ 03:17 AM Reply

At 1/26/10 03:01 AM, Jamesrahh wrote: Yeah I will keep this one for now, might change it later

I'll go ahead and make one then post it tomorrow.

Tonight I'm making a great Aussie dinner :D. Rump steak, eggs and chips.

I'm having a barbeque. We are so Australian.

axlisbak
axlisbak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to The Australian Club Jan. 26th, 2010 @ 03:29 AM Reply

At 1/26/10 02:43 AM, PabMo wrote:
At 1/26/10 01:34 AM, axlisbak wrote: bad encounters with a blue tongue lizard?
I've seen quite a few of them but never saw them as dangerous. Then again I've never picked one up so I guess I never learnt of their bite. I'd often see them with their jaw wide open though. A warning I suppose.

true, theyre not dangerous unless youre messing with them, we used to go out to the scrub and collect them as pets when we were kids, if you made them bite onto a stick you could swing the stick around like nun chuckas frantically and they wouldnt let go, when my dumbass mate got bitten he described the bite like an ever tightening vice, sounds like fun. so whats the go with this so called south aus meet up?

PabMo
PabMo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to The Australian Club Jan. 26th, 2010 @ 03:42 AM Reply

At 1/26/10 03:29 AM, axlisbak wrote: So what's the go with this [...] South Aus. meet up?

Well I received a PM from A12 (he'll be joining this club after his ban has expired) telling me about a meet-up that took place in 2009. Along with a link to a video. From what I can see it was in SYDNEY. Luis was there even. But this doesn't allow users in other states to attend. As I don't think a lot of us would take a flight to attend. So a new idea would be to have a meet in each state with enough members to have one. South Australia included.

I guess before we organize this we'll need like 20/30 willing members in each state. In the next user list (which will be on page six) I'll include our states in which we live along side our usernames. So if some members don't have their state listed. Could you tell me before I make the list?

axlisbak
axlisbak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to The Australian Club Jan. 26th, 2010 @ 04:19 AM Reply

sounds like a good idea pabmo, god knows none of us want to have a meet up like the birmingham 2009 meet lol

sushi13
sushi13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to The Australian Club Jan. 26th, 2010 @ 04:22 AM Reply

At 1/26/10 03:42 AM, PabMo wrote: I guess before we organize this we'll need like 20/30 willing members in each state.

As I've said before it's a great idea but could be really hard to pull it off due to distances and lack of Aussie members. It could be a damn long time before we get 20 people from each state in this club. I'm hoping that sometime in the near future there will be a large Australia meet with Tom and the admins. And you know it will be in Sydney cos everybody who comes to Australia comes to Sydney.

CloudEater
CloudEater
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to The Australian Club Jan. 26th, 2010 @ 04:26 AM Reply

Aw man, I'm not the only Light Lvl 2 any more :( I hate it how there are so many of us. Please tell me you'll be leveling up or changing your aura...

At 1/26/10 03:42 AM, PabMo wrote:
At 1/26/10 03:29 AM, axlisbak wrote: So what's the go with this [...] South Aus. meet up?
Well I received a PM from A12 (he'll be joining this club after his ban has expired) telling me about a meet-up that took place in 2009. Along with a link to a video. From what I can see it was in SYDNEY. Luis was there even. But this doesn't allow users in other states to attend. As I don't think a lot of us would take a flight to attend. So a new idea would be to have a meet in each state with enough members to have one. South Australia included.

I guess before we organize this we'll need like 20/30 willing members in each state. In the next user list (which will be on page six) I'll include our states in which we live along side our usernames. So if some members don't have their state listed. Could you tell me before I make the list?

Yea looks like Sydney to me. How come Luis goes to like every meetup? I think seperate meet ups in each state works better. If you made a news post you could just edit their state in later ;)
I've messaged 4 people today asking them to join hopefully they will.
Does anyone want to ask the great Mr Adam Phillips to join??

PabMo
PabMo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to The Australian Club Jan. 26th, 2010 @ 04:40 AM Reply

At 1/26/10 04:22 AM, sushi13 wrote: As I've said before it's a great idea but could be really hard to pull it off due to distances and lack of Aussie members. It could be a damn long time before we get 20 people from each state in this club.

What I was meaning was separate meets in each state (I doubt the territories or Tasmania will have enough though). So if the number of members in a particular state reaches around 20 (or whatever number we could consider enough for a meet) we'll make arrangements. We'll join ACT and NSW together for a better chance.

I'm hoping that sometime in the near future there will be a large Australia meet with Tom and the admins. And you know it will be in Sydney cos everybody who comes to Australia comes to Sydney.

What a coincidence. You more or less live there. Well close.

PabMo
PabMo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to The Australian Club Jan. 26th, 2010 @ 04:45 AM Reply

At 1/26/10 04:19 AM, axlisbak wrote: Sounds like a good idea PabMo.

Thanks Axl. Is that an appropriate abbreviation?

At 1/26/10 04:26 AM, CloudEater wrote: Does anyone want to ask the great Mr Adam Phillips to join??

He's Australian? I noticed JAZZA is too. Someone ask. Or we could all ask. Better our chances of them joining or commenting.

CloudEater
CloudEater
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to The Australian Club Jan. 26th, 2010 @ 04:59 AM Reply

At 1/26/10 04:45 AM, PabMo wrote:
At 1/26/10 04:26 AM, CloudEater wrote: Does anyone want to ask the great Mr Adam Phillips to join??
He's Australian? I noticed JAZZA is too. Someone ask. Or we could all ask. Better our chances of them joining or commenting.

He was one of the people I pm'ed :) .... not sure if it'll help for someone else to message him too....
Also I just messaged another 11 people... lol... I didn't bother with some that didn't have a recent news post or submission or review or something.

KieranNG
KieranNG
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to The Australian Club Jan. 26th, 2010 @ 05:25 AM Reply

Cool, I'll join, and what better day than Australia day?
As my first act, I will say some stereotypical Australian phrases;
G'day mate, gunna put another shrimp on the barbie before that dingo eats my baby.

Could you make me sig?

Thanks to QuikFox for the sig.

BBS Signature
Nerd-101
Nerd-101
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to The Australian Club Jan. 26th, 2010 @ 05:34 AM Reply

Hello. As a fellow Aussie (Victorian), I'd like to join this li'l club, and would like to thank CloudEater for the PM.

Now, some things to stir the pot:
1. I usually support the Libs, but Tony Abbott...seriously, the first election I can vote in is approaching, and I don't like either of the main PM candidates. Abbott's a religious nut who spouts his opinion too much, and Rudd's just a shifty bastard tbh. And don't get me started on STATE politics...
2. Sports. AFL v RUGBY. Which is better? My votes for AFL. It requires way more intellect to play well, and it's way less predictable than rugby. And, you know, we invented it. Also, GO CATS PREMIERS 2007 & 2009! Saints probably should have won (they're my second fav. team), but we'll take what we can get.
3. The Cricket. With Twenty20 seemingly here to stay, should we get rid of the 50 over game? IMO, No. OneDayCricket's been around for some time, and it provides a good middle ground between the long test matches and the super short version of cricket (Twenty20).

Sorry for the infodump, but I don't normally post much, so I make them count.

Also, did anyone else get burned out last year? We did, but we 'only' lost the house; nobody died, so I consider myself lucky. But we're moving on, the house is getting rebuilt, and the house was insured. the contents was underinsured, but again, considering other people were left with nothing, or had rellies die, I'm not complaining one little bit, and consider myself extremely grateful.

Sorry to end this post on a downer near the end of the greatest day ever (Australia Day), but I didn't see it mentioned in the previous posts, so I thought it might be worth a mention. By the way, anyone remember why Jan 26 is Oz Day, FROM MEMORY?

Signature in progress.
Pray there isn't a strike in the meantime.

CloudEater
CloudEater
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to The Australian Club Jan. 26th, 2010 @ 05:40 AM Reply

At 1/26/10 05:25 AM, KieranNG wrote: Cool, I'll join, and what better day than Australia day?
As my first act, I will say some stereotypical Australian phrases;
G'day mate, gunna put another shrimp on the barbie before that dingo eats my baby.
Could you make me sig?

No more stereotypical phrases please. I don't see why "put another shrimp on the barbie" is still a stereotype I've never seen anyone cook a shrimp on a barbecue except on a youtube video where there they were purposely doing it because of that stereotype..... I've pm'd a few more people.

PabMo
PabMo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to The Australian Club Jan. 26th, 2010 @ 05:45 AM Reply

At 1/26/10 04:59 AM, CloudEater wrote: He was one of the people I pm'ed :) .... not sure if it'll help for someone else to message him too....
Also I just messaged another 11 people... lol... I didn't bother with some that didn't have a recent news post or submission or review or something.

Thanks for all the support CloudEater. I appreciate it ever so much. (Just because I use these words often doesn't make them insincere). I hope we continue to have such active members.

CloudEater
CloudEater
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to The Australian Club Jan. 26th, 2010 @ 05:55 AM Reply

At 1/26/10 05:34 AM, Nerd-101 wrote: I'd like to join this li'l club, and would like to thank CloudEater for the PM.

That's alright :)

1. I usually support the Libs, but Tony Abbott...

I don't really pay too much attention to the governments.

2. Sports. AFL v RUGBY. Which is better? My vote.....

I also reckon AFL's better, I don't really go for a particular team both the SA one's really. I hate it how there's so much competition between Port and Crows fans here.

3. The Cricket. With Twenty20 seemingly here to sta.....

I don't really follow cricket much.

Also, did anyone else get burned out last year? We did, bu.....

Yea from what I heard a few people lost quite a lot.

By the way, anyone remember why Jan 26 is Oz Day, FROM MEMORY?

I have no idea what Australia day's actually for. I never even remember that it's coming....

At 1/26/10 05:45 AM, PabMo wrote:
At 1/26/10 04:59 AM, CloudEater wrote: He was one of the people I pm'ed :) .... not sure if it'll help for someone else to message him too....
Thanks for all the support CloudEater. I appreciate it ever so much. (Just because I use these words often doesn't make them insincere). I hope we continue to have such active members.

Anytime PabMo. I plan to be on NG for many years to come. How long do you think you'll stay here?

KieranNG
KieranNG
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to The Australian Club Jan. 26th, 2010 @ 05:56 AM Reply

Plus we call them prawns and not shrimp.

Thanks to QuikFox for the sig.

BBS Signature
sushi13
sushi13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to The Australian Club Jan. 26th, 2010 @ 05:57 AM Reply

At 1/26/10 04:40 AM, PabMo wrote:
At 1/26/10 04:22 AM, sushi13 wrote: As I've said before it's a great idea but could be really hard to pull it off due to distances and lack of Aussie members. It could be a damn long time before we get 20 people from each state in this club.
What I was meaning was separate meets in each state (I doubt the territories or Tasmania will have enough though). So if the number of members in a particular state reaches around 20 (or whatever number we could consider enough for a meet) we'll make arrangements. We'll join ACT and NSW together for a better chance.

Yeah I know you were talking about state meetups. It could still be a problem for a lot of people though, given the distances. Can you imagine someone from Broken Hill coming to a meetup in Sydney? Especially given the fact that lots of Newgrounders are quite young and would rely on either public transport or their parents to take them to places.
I don't want it to come across like I'm arguing with the idea of having meetups, I'm just thinking of the potential problems in the hope that we can organise things to make it accessible for as many people as possible.

I'm hoping that sometime in the near future there will be a large Australia meet with Tom and the admins. And you know it will be in Sydney cos everybody who comes to Australia comes to Sydney.
What a coincidence. You more or less live there. Well close.

I came to Australia when I was almost 22 and could choose exactly where in the country I wanted to go. I was hardly going to choose to live in the middle of nowhere. Besides, I'd been to Sydney a few times before and a few relatives and some people I knew live here. It just makes perfect sense.

At 1/26/10 05:34 AM, Nerd-101 wrote: Sorry to end this post on a downer near the end of the greatest day ever (Australia Day), but I didn't see it mentioned in the previous posts, so I thought it might be worth a mention. By the way, anyone remember why Jan 26 is Oz Day, FROM MEMORY?

I'm gonna be very controversial and admit to not even knowing what the reason for Australia day is. I didn't grow up in Australia so it's ok for me not to know.

PabMo
PabMo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to The Australian Club Jan. 26th, 2010 @ 06:09 AM Reply

At 1/26/10 05:34 AM, Nerd-101 wrote: The first election I can vote in is approaching, and I don't like either of the main PM candidates.

You can vote for neither. As long as the name is signed off. You're alright.

2. Sports. AFL v RUGBY. Which is better?

I don't follow either of the sports but I'd still vote for AFL. I can almost stand to watch it sometimes.

At 1/26/10 05:40 AM, CloudEater wrote: No more stereotypical phrases please.

I was just about to post this. You read the rules I see.

I've never seen anyone cook a shrimp on a barbecue.

Neither have I to be honest. Seems kind of strange to do so. Then again I dislike most seafood.

Here's the signature for KieranNG. I've added a space between Kieran and NG because no lower case will ever be included. I can take it out if wanted. Boxing is on channel one now so I'll be back with a few more responses later. Who else likes boxing?

The Australian Club

Nerd-101
Nerd-101
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to The Australian Club Jan. 26th, 2010 @ 06:19 AM Reply

At 1/26/10 05:57 AM, sushi13 wrote:
At 1/26/10 05:34 AM, Nerd-101 wrote: By the way, anyone remember why Jan 26 is Oz Day, FROM MEMORY?
I'm gonna be very controversial and admit to not even knowing what the reason for Australia day is. I didn't grow up in Australia so it's ok for me not to know.

Don't worry, no-one remembers it's the day Captain Cook and the First Fleet arrived in Australia for the first time in 1788 once they leave primary school. On an unrelated note, some pollies want more Australian History taught in schools. I can't imagine why.

Anyway, what's the deal with wanting the Aussie flag changed? I mean, I know it has the Union jack in the corner, but other than that, there's nothing specifically wrong with it, right?

Signature in progress.
Pray there isn't a strike in the meantime.

PabMo
PabMo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to The Australian Club Jan. 26th, 2010 @ 07:11 AM Reply

At 1/26/10 05:55 AM, CloudEater wrote: I plan to be on NG for many years to come. How long do you think you'll stay here?

I'm not sure. But I hope I'm not on NG when I'm 30+. I'll guess like a decade at most. Becoming less and less active. But I'll visit like on an odd occasion after. Let's just wait and see.

At 1/26/10 06:19 AM, Nerd-101 wrote: What's the deal with wanting the Aussie flag changed?

I'm not sure. But I caught Dad designing a new one. He thinks there'll be a competition for one. Kind of weird.

PabMo
PabMo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to The Australian Club Jan. 26th, 2010 @ 07:23 AM Reply

At 1/26/10 05:57 AM, sushi13 wrote: I don't want it to come across like I'm arguing with the idea of having meet-ups.

No no I understand the concern. I apologize for the confusion.

JKAmovies
JKAmovies
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Artist
Response to The Australian Club Jan. 26th, 2010 @ 07:25 AM Reply

At 1/26/10 05:55 AM, CloudEater wrote: I plan to be on NG for many years to come. How long do you think you'll stay here?

I think I'll be on Ng for a couple years now. . . After I finish school and go to uni, I'll probably become much less active and only visit every now and then to submit new games/moves and update things.

At 1/26/10 06:19 AM, Nerd-101 wrote: What's the deal with wanting the Aussie flag changed?

I haven't heard anyone talk about redesigning the flag. . . But I don't see the point in it, I like how it is now.

How does everyone feel about KevRudd green lighting the whole internet censorship thing?.
I'm not too worried about it becasue if he does go through with it, he won't last long being prime minister. I still think it's absolutely stupid though.

NDC: 2011 ~ Twitter ~ Artwork ~ ©JKA

BBS Signature