New Topic Respond to this Topic
statueofdiveo
statueofdiveo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Drum and Bass samples Jan. 12th, 2010 @ 08:17 PM Reply

I can't seem to find any drum n bass samples. How do drum n bass artists like pendulum and cornandbeans on newgrounds get their drum samples? I'm talking about modern dnb. How do you do it?

SineRider
SineRider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Drum and Bass samples Jan. 12th, 2010 @ 08:22 PM Reply

all you need is an amen break and a sub bass. Maybe some beeps, boops and a Rastafarian.

statueofdiveo
statueofdiveo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Drum and Bass samples Jan. 12th, 2010 @ 08:23 PM Reply

I'm not using the amen anymore.

I'm talking about splashy noise snares and hard kicks.

amaterasu
amaterasu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Drum and Bass samples Jan. 12th, 2010 @ 08:26 PM Reply

At 1/12/10 08:23 PM, statueofdiveo wrote: I'm not using the amen anymore.

I'm talking about splashy noise snares and hard kicks.

In any form of edm its all about cleverly matching samples, synthesized sounds, and effects. Try listening really carefully to a particular snare or whatever in one of these tracks and then try to piece various sounds together to form it.

beep

BBS Signature
NOTunowned
NOTunowned
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Drum and Bass samples Jan. 12th, 2010 @ 08:34 PM Reply

i take 5 random samples out of my 100,000+ sample playlist, have one sample go every 8 lines, 16 etc, add rezfilter vst, clone the pattern and have it interchange from x to y lines per beat every 4 lines

as depicted in my song techoz.mp3

statueofdiveo
statueofdiveo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Drum and Bass samples Jan. 12th, 2010 @ 08:43 PM Reply

what are your sample packs?

Mystery-Moon-Pie-Aud
Mystery-Moon-Pie-Aud
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Drum and Bass samples Jan. 12th, 2010 @ 09:01 PM Reply

It's a matter of actually searching for good places with samples. I have a place called sampleswap.org, I had to sign up on it unfortunately, but that didn't even matter once I heard the samples. They are really good. I have a LOT of kick samples cause I couldn't just take one.

Strychnine and cyanide. A healthy part of this complete breakfast.

statueofdiveo
statueofdiveo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Drum and Bass samples Jan. 12th, 2010 @ 09:03 PM Reply

WOW! Just what I needed. I'll sign up.

Screw house. Dnb is where it's at.

(and three months later I'll be sick of dnb and make house again)

amaterasu
amaterasu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Drum and Bass samples Jan. 12th, 2010 @ 09:31 PM Reply

At 1/12/10 09:03 PM, statueofdiveo wrote: WOW! Just what I needed. I'll sign up.

Screw house. Dnb is where it's at.

(and three months later I'll be sick of dnb and make house again)

Why are you limiting yourself like that?

What about uhhhhh drum n house ?

beep

BBS Signature
deathteknoX
deathteknoX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Drum and Bass samples Jan. 13th, 2010 @ 01:27 PM Reply

just be careful about how you use the loops, most moderators dont aprove of pre-made loops and will most likley ban you. Trust me the same thing happened to me.

Quarl
Quarl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Drum and Bass samples Jan. 13th, 2010 @ 01:48 PM Reply

Yeahhhh, sorry but half of the advice in this thread isn't up to par. Some of the users are onto the technique but they're not going far enough into it. It's not just the samples you choose to use... most pros get the drums to sound the way they do by layering around five different layers of sounds. The snare might be the easiest thing to start layering... granted it's not that easy of a technique to get used to. Try to find several snares that each hit different areas of the sound spectrum. Try and get your mids lows and highs all in three different snares. Then, try to add some more snares in an attempt to balance the sound and give character to the rest of the snare. You can hook up graphic equalizers, compressors, distortion units and whatever have you to each individual piece of the kit until you can get a nice full sound. I'm not sure what program your using so I can't help you out too much but if you need any help figuring out layering you should probably try looking up tutorials. It's not just the samples you use. Someone experienced at layering can get really full sounds using just the drum samples that come out of their programs box. I've been perfectly content with what my program came with drum wise and have never had to dig any further than reasons built in sound bank to keep myself happy.

Anyone can look up drum samples on google. What you do with them matters more than how they sound. Slice, compose, and master.

Giants are too tall. We'll have to stand on top of each others shoulders to survive.

xKore
xKore
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Drum and Bass samples Jan. 13th, 2010 @ 01:53 PM Reply

here and here

ArtSyndicate
ArtSyndicate
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Drum and Bass samples Jan. 13th, 2010 @ 02:06 PM Reply

I wouldn't advise using sample packs. Think of the amount of people that use them and that your music will sound the same to theirs, especially if you use piano loops, and things.

It's just uncreative, I think.

Most old drum and bass was clever sampling and reworking of breaks in classic funk records - it's where the Amen break came from [Amen Brother - The Winstons.]

You don't have to search directly for drum and bass samples, a kick drum is a drum, no matter if it's listed under house / tech / dnb, whatever.

Try editing, and layering - as has been said before - samples with different qualities, to make what you're looking for.
A snare with good low end and one with midrange frequencies, with a crisp clap works. I've read that pendulum layer white noise over their snares for raw punch.

But yeah, hope this helped.

xKore
xKore
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Drum and Bass samples Jan. 13th, 2010 @ 02:23 PM Reply

At 1/13/10 02:06 PM, ArtSyndicate wrote: I wouldn't advise using sample packs. Think of the amount of people that use them and that your music will sound the same to theirs, especially if you use piano loops, and things.

Hey it's not the fault of the samplepacks for being uncreative, it's the fault of the artist.

It's just uncreative? Try being creative then.

eatmeatleet
eatmeatleet
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Drum and Bass samples Jan. 13th, 2010 @ 02:25 PM Reply

At 1/13/10 01:53 PM, xKore wrote: here and here

omgggggggg

BBS Signature
Quarl
Quarl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Drum and Bass samples Jan. 13th, 2010 @ 02:28 PM Reply

At 1/13/10 02:23 PM, xKore wrote:
At 1/13/10 02:06 PM, ArtSyndicate wrote: I wouldn't advise using sample packs. Think of the amount of people that use them and that your music will sound the same to theirs, especially if you use piano loops, and things.

Hey it's not the fault of the samplepacks for being uncreative, it's the fault of the artist.

It's just uncreative? Try being creative then.

You both bring up pretty big debates. Sample packs can be a blessing and a curse. It's not necessarily the fault of the sample pack if it gets used unprofessionally. It all comes down to the artist.

Giants are too tall. We'll have to stand on top of each others shoulders to survive.

NOTunowned
NOTunowned
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Drum and Bass samples Jan. 13th, 2010 @ 03:19 PM Reply

vengeance pack.

unique soundz, even more when you layer them, all about the layering

MkieNedachi
MkieNedachi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Drum and Bass samples Jan. 13th, 2010 @ 03:58 PM Reply

"Oh dear; Someone doesn't know what there talking about."
Don't listen to this muppet like half of you don't even know how to produce so all advice here is like complete telling you the incorrect way to produce!
If you want to know where to get your samples then PAY ATTENTION

Everything you need for drum & bass is right here:

Need to learn how to work all your VST effects & how to engineer your tracks:
Here is lots & lots of tutorials

Need to learn how to use a compressor for you tracks?
Compression 101 - The Basics

Need some VST's that are free & what the professionals use?
Nedachi's VST Help Thread

Need some samples:
24bit SAMPLES: Speaker Blower Records - Personal Samples.

Need more samples:
Technique Records - Some Samples

FL Studio - EQ & Drum tutorial: Indvision's Tutorial

Want some pro samples & got some money spare for a few sample packs?
Spend some mullah: Right Here

I've been here for years & I'm getting very fucked off with lots of spengs on here thinking they know it all. You don't! keep learning till you know what your talking about & you can explain music in detail. Everything you need to get sorted for 2 years is there. work on drums, do nothing but drums. When you have the mastered sound move to making bass.

As most of you are 11-16 get learning & stop pretending your amazing.

When you get really good at producing. You can make things like this:
Promotional Work

If your having trouble knowing what to do or your stuck & want to learn by professionals who KNOW WHAT THERE TALKING ABOUT then 'Dogs On Acid - The Grid' is where you want to be looking, not at what some fourteen year old muppet suggests.

These links will help you get the sounds you are looking for. Pay no attention to people who don't explain in detail or tell you how to do something. The links provided have everything to create the sound of your soul in your music. Not what is in fashion in music or popular. Your soul sound beats the popularity and the fashion in music because it is YOUR SOUND!

"I tell you how it is, what it should be like."
- Mkie Nedachi

BBS Signature
ArtSyndicate
ArtSyndicate
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Drum and Bass samples Jan. 14th, 2010 @ 01:44 PM Reply

At 1/13/10 03:58 PM, MkieNedachi wrote:
"Oh dear; Someone doesn't know what there talking about."

So personal opinion on how to utilise samples means I don't know what I'm talking about? I didn't realise your opinion was more valid.

Mystery-Moon-Pie-Aud
Mystery-Moon-Pie-Aud
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Drum and Bass samples Jan. 14th, 2010 @ 08:53 PM Reply

Of course layering is important to get a fuller sound. But what does it matter what samples you use? If you want to use truly unique samples, the only way you can do that is engineer them yourself. And we aren't here to engineer sounds, we just make them work together.

Strychnine and cyanide. A healthy part of this complete breakfast.

amaterasu
amaterasu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Drum and Bass samples Jan. 14th, 2010 @ 09:12 PM Reply

At 1/14/10 01:44 PM, ArtSyndicate wrote: So personal opinion on how to utilise samples means I don't know what I'm talking about? I didn't realise your opinion was more valid.

There is nothing wrong with using "sample packs" if you understand that samples are meant to be completely raw sources of sound and should go through lots of processing and layering to really work for a track. If you are processing samples like you should than your tracks certainly won't sound the same as everybody elses.

beep

BBS Signature
amaterasu
amaterasu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Drum and Bass samples Jan. 14th, 2010 @ 09:14 PM Reply

At 1/14/10 01:44 PM, ArtSyndicate wrote: So personal opinion on how to utilise samples means I don't know what I'm talking about? I didn't realise your opinion was more valid.

Also you kind of contradicted yourself. What's wrong with using sample packs as opposed to going on a painstaking search for individual samples? They are super convenient.

beep

BBS Signature
MkieNedachi
MkieNedachi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Drum and Bass samples Jan. 15th, 2010 @ 08:14 PM Reply

At 1/14/10 09:14 PM, amaterasu wrote:
Also you kind of contradicted yourself. What's wrong with using sample packs as opposed to going on a painstaking search for individual samples? They are super convenient.

Exactly dude. And sample hunting is a good thing, someone giving you samples does not give you originality. Samples should be chopped, processed, compressed, EQed, And obviously adding with a very small amount of reverb. EVERYTHING HAS REVERB!

Best place to look for samples is youtube. You listen to songs all day. You need to listen to some old skool jungle from 1991 some tracks have some breaks you can use. Some you can find completely from Vinyl too PC which is rather sexy. Or simply head to DOA & get looking. :teeth

BBS Signature
Quarl
Quarl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Drum and Bass samples Jan. 15th, 2010 @ 10:38 PM Reply

At 1/15/10 08:14 PM, MkieNedachi wrote: obviously adding with a very small amount of reverb. EVERYTHING HAS REVERB!

No actually. Reverb is an electronic effect. I almost never throw reverb on the kits and when I do it's usually only for a measure or as an accent. While reverb sounds great in a lot of situations it would be ill advised to just throw it on things willy nilly. That's quickly gonna muddy things up.

Best place to look for samples is youtube.

Samples and sounds can be found anywhere. Youtube isn't the best place. It's the easiest. Aside from that, the sound quality is gonna be questionable depending on how you get the sound.

BojangIes
BojangIes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Drum and Bass samples Jan. 15th, 2010 @ 10:41 PM Reply

Me and my friend used to be awesome at DNB, but as time changes, so did the music.

I still have all my samples, songs and everything, but i just don't use em anymore.
I could email em, if you want or whatever. I just don't care much anymore.

It was me as "Dr. Chaos" and my friend as "SPRWAL" youtube us!
We had Newskool DNB like everyday and not that stupid ass Amen break thats like fuking 30+ years old. LOL

Forget what everyone says about searching for breaks on the web, email me on NG and I'll tell you how to get that clean snare or hard kick in FL Studio so you can mare your own stuff.

I learned that slow is the new fast, the slower your music, the more time and effort you can put into it, more time = more sounds which = better quality music. DNB is fast, quick sampling, hard hitting, bass. Over time, you learn that it just eliminates itself. Too fast can mean too dull. Less soul and mood of music. ya kno?

Music is music, and DNB is good music. :-)

Peace!

Drum and Bass samples

BBS Signature
BojangIes
BojangIes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Drum and Bass samples Jan. 15th, 2010 @ 10:44 PM Reply

MkieNedachi

THIS GUYS KNOWS WHAT I'M SAYIN, SMART MAN RIGHT HERE.

Nice one dude!

BBS Signature
Quarl
Quarl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Drum and Bass samples Jan. 15th, 2010 @ 11:49 PM Reply

At 1/15/10 10:44 PM, BojangIes wrote: MkieNedachi

I smell an alt.

statueofdiveo
statueofdiveo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Drum and Bass samples Jan. 16th, 2010 @ 11:27 AM Reply

Okay. So I only want individual drum samples, not loops. I used sampleswap to get a nice kick. Then I found a punchy snare. Best song I ever made. I'll have it posted on NG tomorrow or tonight. I'll probably send pm's to the people who helped in this thread and who didn't think samples would cut it.

I know synths. I know beats. The question was not "How to make dnb" but "where to find drum samples".

Quarl
Quarl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Drum and Bass samples Jan. 16th, 2010 @ 12:31 PM Reply

At 1/16/10 11:27 AM, statueofdiveo wrote: Okay. So I only want individual drum samples, not loops.

Dude, slice loops. Just cut a kick or snare from it's original rhythm and you can use it just the same as any other sound...

Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Drum and Bass samples Jan. 16th, 2010 @ 02:47 PM Reply

At 1/15/10 11:49 PM, Quarl wrote:
At 1/15/10 10:44 PM, BojangIes wrote: MkieNedachi

I smell an alt.

I smell, taste, feel, see and hear an alt XD.

Review Request Club | PLEASE GIVE ME FEEDBACK ON THIS I BEG YOU | Formerly Supersteph54
I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for any Audio Portal-related help.

BBS Signature