Be a Supporter!
Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Music on the Go. Jan. 7th, 2010 @ 08:30 PM Reply

So, I'm sure you've all had a moment where you are on the bus, in a taxi, or generally not within arms reach of your usual workstation when inspiration strikes, or you suddenly get the most amazing melody in your head.
And what happens? You hum it all day just to forget it just as you get to the computer/guitar/whatever-instrument-you-
happen-to-use.

So, through the powers that be, we have iPhones/iPod Touches (If you don't have one, you may as well stop reading here, cause I've got no suggestion for you).

Being the spontaneous spender I am, I have spent a lot of time on the iTunes store, and a lot of time browsing the music apps (Cause I like making music, derrr). And because I love you guys, I'm going to recommend 3 apps that can save you the trouble of having to hum a tune all day just to forget it as you open your front door.

First on the list, and the first app I got my hands on:
Noise.io:
(Available as a free "lite" version and a full paid version for approx. $15.00)
This is your standard software synth in the palm of your hand, with pretty damn close to all the capabilities you would find on desktop software, while the iPhone/iPod may lack a bit of processing power to keep up with more complex creations, the app is damned fine for what it does offer. Filters, effects, a khaos pad, and numerous presets along with about 20 user slots for your own custom sounds.
It's a great app for the electronic music lovers.

Second:
BeatMaker
(Only available as a paid download unfortunately, and will run you about $20.00)
This app hits two birds with one stone, not only is it sampling software with which you can import your own samples to custom pads, it also has a full sequencer (Although a little awkward to get used to), a full range of effects, and even a wave editor. Within this app, you can take exported sound files from other apps (Read: Noise.io and Xewton Music Studio {more on this one later}) and import them into beatmaker to put full songs together.
I honestly haven't done too much playing around with in Beatmaker, but from what I have, I can tell you that you are fully capable of putting together a full remix in this 1 application, along with creating your own original works using exported files from other applications.

Third:
Xewton Music Studio
(Also only comes as a paid download unfortunately, but is currently on sale for $15.00)
What can I say about this one? Well, it's basically FL Studio on an iPhone/iPod but with more realistic instruments, including a grand piano, strings, guitars, drum kits, even a few pads. This app, like beatmaker, also comes with a full step by step sequencer, quantization, EQ, effects, etc. And to my understanding is also capable of importing other sound files (Although I haven't tried it myself yet).

Between these 3 apps (Or 1, or 2, if you don't really want to spend the cash), you can basically compose anything on the go as you would sitting at home with all your gear, it may not be as in depth, but it would surely tide you over until you could get back to some place to record all the ideas you've composed on the road. Although, be warned, if you're only looking to buy 1, and would prefer the one has a sequencer in it, I'd go with either BeatMaker or Xewton, as Noise.io does not have it's own sequencer, it is really just a synth.

And last but certainly not least, and best of all... Free! (Well, there's a paid version as well for $2.00, but IMO, the free version is fun enough) Just because it's probably one of my favorite apps, and should pretty much be a must have for Daft Punk fans...

iDaft

Not really a music producing app, more just a toy to play around with, that site basically works the same way the app does on the iPhone/iPod, so have a try.

Anyways, figured I'd share with you guys, I know this stuff has saved me a lot of hair tearing trying to remember a melody I made up on the go.

Audio/BBS Mod
News: I want to write more metal... - Music: The Inevitability - Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
WeHaveFreshCookies
WeHaveFreshCookies
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Game Developer
Response to Music on the Go. Jan. 7th, 2010 @ 08:38 PM Reply

Well what I do, is simply use the voice note recorder function. It's pretty decent. You just hum/whistle/whatever into the mic, and then when you get home, you play it back and VOILA!

Of course, I'm mostly a drummer, so this might be easier for me than some of the more experienced guitarists out there
Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Music on the Go. Jan. 7th, 2010 @ 08:40 PM Reply

At 1/7/10 08:38 PM, WeHaveFreshCookies wrote: Well what I do, is simply use the voice note recorder function. It's pretty decent. You just hum/whistle/whatever into the mic, and then when you get home, you play it back and VOILA!

Of course, I'm mostly a drummer, so this might be easier for me than some of the more experienced guitarists out there

I used to do the same thing when I was working at a golf course, find some trees to hide in away from the golfers and sing myself a tune to my phone.. Unfortunately, that was before I started working on bettering my voice, so it often sounded like I was killing a cat.

Audio/BBS Mod

BBS Signature
Tainlorr
Tainlorr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Music on the Go. Jan. 9th, 2010 @ 12:49 AM Reply

Thanks for the advice! I have both Beatmaker and Noise.io, i've been able to make some pretty cool songs with them but nothing really worthwile, more just to pass time. I've never heard of that third one though, but me being a spender too, will look into it sooner or later.

The Guy Who Writes Your Music
Email Me, or visit my site by clicking on my banner.

BBS Signature
sorohanro
sorohanro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Musician
Response to Music on the Go. Jan. 9th, 2010 @ 03:54 AM Reply

Xewton Music Studio loks good... so good that I want a PC version :))

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Music on the Go. Jan. 9th, 2010 @ 04:47 AM Reply

At 1/9/10 03:54 AM, sorohanro wrote: Xewton Music Studio loks good... so good that I want a PC version :))

Exactly what I thought, I don't know if there is one or not, but I've got the iPod version, and I'm loving it.

Audio/BBS Mod

BBS Signature
sorohanro
sorohanro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Musician
Response to Music on the Go. Jan. 9th, 2010 @ 06:50 AM Reply

I'm curios of sound quality and options there. Did you upload a track made with that on NG ?
What samplerate and bit depth does that support ?

Everlasting-Elements
Everlasting-Elements
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Music on the Go. Jan. 9th, 2010 @ 02:27 PM Reply

This stuff all sounds really neat. I like that the iphone makes stuff for people like us. Too bad I don't have any money to get an iphone. I don't think sprint gives service to those, either.

Sig=DJ REN
PSN ID: soul_reaper5

BBS Signature
Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Music on the Go. Jan. 9th, 2010 @ 03:40 PM Reply

At 1/9/10 06:50 AM, sorohanro wrote: I'm curios of sound quality and options there. Did you upload a track made with that on NG ?
What samplerate and bit depth does that support ?

I haven't yet, I'm not even sure how to take songs off my iPod to put them on my PC. Then again, last time I tried was when I got a free 2 gig iPod nano from telus, was years ago, so maybe it's a lot easier to do now.

As for the samplerate and bit depth, I honestly didn't really think about that until now, however I took a quick look through each of the apps, I was unable to find any information on either sample rate or bit depth. I did however find they are all capable of exporting to wave format, and Xewton and BeatMaker can both export to .midi.
I also tried taking a look through a quick search on google for the sample rate/bit depth dilemma, no luck there either.

Audio/BBS Mod

BBS Signature
winKoneR
winKoneR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to Music on the Go. Jan. 10th, 2010 @ 08:16 AM Reply

Music production on the go is great thing to use every free second for your beloved composing. Recently I bought a Beaterator for PSP for this exact purpose. It does nothin special, but it's portable. It's like whittled FLstudio with clumsy controls and without support of VST's. It's not a studio, but it's great for a purpose of using every free time. I can use my free time at work for composing some elementary stuff which I can later export to midi and import to FL. I call good investment.

jarrydn
jarrydn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Music on the Go. Jan. 10th, 2010 @ 08:22 AM Reply

I rock out Korg DS-10 every now and again.

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Music on the Go. Jan. 10th, 2010 @ 04:00 PM Reply

At 1/10/10 08:22 AM, jarrydn wrote: I rock out Korg DS-10 every now and again.

Fuck yeah... I was all over that when that released, composing music on my DS, how cool is that.

Audio/BBS Mod

BBS Signature