Be a Supporter!
Mechabloby
Mechabloby
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Chuck Palahniuk. 2010-01-03 12:12:29 Reply

Every time I ask somebody about this writer, I always get mixed opinions - he's either shit poor or brilliant. I haven't really read any of his stuff so I can't have an opinion on his works, so I was wondering: what does NG think of Chuck Palahniuk, and what books would you suggest if you enjoy his works?

I did get Haunted for Christmas though due to a mass amount of suggestions given to me within a thread regarding disturbing literature I posted some time ago - I'll start reading that tomorrow.

| Facebook | last.fm | Steam | it's just diana ross slowed down 11/10 it's fuckin awful

BBS Signature
The-Mega-God
The-Mega-God
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Chuck Palahniuk. 2010-01-03 12:14:52 Reply

yellow balloons, make fire in the hearts of a walrus.

i have spoken.... i guess that means something.... then again.... perhaps i simply have a mental handi- capp and should shut up.... too bad i'm not gonna do that.

FullFistMaria
FullFistMaria
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Chuck Palahniuk. 2010-01-03 12:15:45 Reply

I adore him.One of the greatest authors in a long time in my opinion.Id say get Rant.Its my favorite.Its an oral history about a fictional character who was responsible for spreading rabies across america.Its so good.

Chumbawamba
Chumbawamba
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 48
Audiophile
Response to Chuck Palahniuk. 2010-01-03 12:15:38 Reply

Inhale.

Take in as much air as you can.

This story should last about as long as you can hold your breath, and then just a little bit longer. So listen as fast as you can.

BBS Signature
SirWolfy
SirWolfy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Chuck Palahniuk. 2010-01-03 12:16:23 Reply

At 1/3/10 12:14 PM, The-Mega-God wrote: yellow balloons, make fire in the hearts of a walrus.

By any chance are you from Illogicopedia?

BBS Signature
TylerDurden121
TylerDurden121
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Chuck Palahniuk. 2010-01-03 12:16:59 Reply

I think he's a great writer, i've got four of his books and there all good. But thats just my opinion.

I am not witty or clever enough to make my own sig, thus I have stolen one instead.

BBS Signature
Mechabloby
Mechabloby
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Chuck Palahniuk. 2010-01-03 12:18:07 Reply

At 1/3/10 12:16 PM, TylerDurden121 wrote: I think he's a great writer, i've got four of his books and there all good. But thats just my opinion.

Just from your username, I can guess that Fight Club is one of them, right? :P

| Facebook | last.fm | Steam | it's just diana ross slowed down 11/10 it's fuckin awful

BBS Signature
TylerDurden121
TylerDurden121
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Chuck Palahniuk. 2010-01-03 12:22:48 Reply

At 1/3/10 12:18 PM, Mechabloby wrote:
At 1/3/10 12:16 PM, TylerDurden121 wrote: I think he's a great writer, i've got four of his books and there all good. But thats just my opinion.

What in god's name is Fight Club?

I am not witty or clever enough to make my own sig, thus I have stolen one instead.

BBS Signature
LBRocker
LBRocker
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Chuck Palahniuk. 2010-01-03 12:23:57 Reply

At 1/3/10 12:22 PM, TylerDurden121 wrote:
At 1/3/10 12:18 PM, Mechabloby wrote:
What in god's name is Fight Club?

We don't talk about it. Ever.

LivinInTheSunlight
LivinInTheSunlight
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Chuck Palahniuk. 2010-01-03 12:29:09 Reply

Shit's pretty good. Read Survivor.

I've lived in filth, I've lived in sin And I still smell cleaner than the shit you're in

BBS Signature
Chumbawamba
Chumbawamba
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 48
Audiophile
Response to Chuck Palahniuk. 2010-01-03 12:38:56 Reply

At 1/3/10 12:29 PM, LivinInTheSunlight wrote: Shit's pretty good. Read Survivor.

That book didn't make any sense. It's like the pages were backwards n shit. Fucked up man!

BBS Signature
TheBigLemon
TheBigLemon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Melancholy
Response to Chuck Palahniuk. 2010-03-15 13:38:15 Reply

I've read Choke, Fight Club, Haunted, and Snuff.

I just finished Snuff this morning, actually. My favorite is probably Haunted, and no, not just because of Guts. The book is just really good.

I suggest readin Snuff, too. Fucked up shit.

"Jayne, your mouth's talking. Might want to see to that." /Ask Me Shit\

BBS Signature
Cordyceps
Cordyceps
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Animator
Response to Chuck Palahniuk. 2010-03-15 13:40:39 Reply

I suggest reading his more popular books. The others are less popular for a reason.

@some unkind moderator altered the height of my signature http://sonicfanon.wikia.com/wiki/Sonic_Fanon_Wiki If you do acid, wait an hour before swimming

BBS Signature
FullFistMaria
FullFistMaria
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Chuck Palahniuk. 2010-03-15 13:42:00 Reply

At 3/15/10 01:38 PM, TheBigLemon wrote: I suggest readin Snuff, too. Fucked up shit.

I think snuff is his worst book.To me it seemed he was just being filthy for the sake of it.I also think that its the least clever out of all of his books.The reason I think he's a great author is because of these really interesting ideas that he puts out.

TheBigLemon
TheBigLemon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Melancholy
Response to Chuck Palahniuk. 2010-03-15 13:44:37 Reply

At 3/15/10 01:42 PM, FullFistMaria wrote:
At 3/15/10 01:38 PM, TheBigLemon wrote: I suggest readin Snuff, too. Fucked up shit.
I think snuff is his worst book.To me it seemed he was just being filthy for the sake of it.I also think that its the least clever out of all of his books.The reason I think he's a great author is because of these really interesting ideas that he puts out.

It wasn't clever, no, but I enjoyed it. Diary is next on my list, and I want to buy Pygmy, but I can't find a paperback copy in stores (I'm cheap).

"Jayne, your mouth's talking. Might want to see to that." /Ask Me Shit\

BBS Signature
FullFistMaria
FullFistMaria
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Chuck Palahniuk. 2010-03-15 13:46:18 Reply

At 3/15/10 01:44 PM, TheBigLemon wrote: It wasn't clever, no, but I enjoyed it. Diary is next on my list, and I want to buy Pygmy, but I can't find a paperback copy in stores (I'm cheap).

Pygmy is good.I found it a little hard to get into (Its written in broken English) but enjoyed it once I did.

SirWolfy
SirWolfy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Chuck Palahniuk. 2010-03-15 13:47:17 Reply

That's a dumb name

BBS Signature
Mechabloby
Mechabloby
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Chuck Palahniuk. 2010-03-15 14:03:32 Reply

Since somebody bumped this, I might as well reply to it: I'm still reading Haunted (slowly getting to the end - a bit caught up with coursework and other nuisances at the moment, to be fair...) but I have read of it, I really have enjoyed - the sattire of the absurd is truly brilliant.

What other books would you guys suggest I read/ I'm interested in Diary, Pygmy and Fight Club.

and to TheBigLemon: I've heard bad things about snuff, but I do enjoy a bit of rubbish here and there so I may give it a read.

BBS Signature
FullFistMaria
FullFistMaria
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Chuck Palahniuk. 2010-03-15 14:10:21 Reply

At 3/15/10 02:03 PM, Mechabloby wrote: What other books would you guys suggest I read/ I'm interested in Diary, Pygmy and Fight Club.

I think you should go for Invisible Monsters or Rant.Although Fight club is a quick read (Only like 200 pages if I remember right).

JimmyBag
JimmyBag
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Chuck Palahniuk. 2010-07-25 05:24:42 Reply

At 3/15/10 02:03 PM, Mechabloby wrote: What other books would you guys suggest I read/ I'm interested in Diary, Pygmy and Fight Club.

well, Survivor is said to be even better than Fight Club.. I can't really decide which is better, but it still pretty good.

MonkeyV
MonkeyV
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Chuck Palahniuk. 2010-07-25 05:52:04 Reply

I've read Fight Club, Hanted, and Choke.

All absolutely amazing books.
Fight Club and Choke are both great movies, and I'm very disappointed that there is no Haunted movie.

Haunted is probably my favorite book.
As far as "disturbing" goes, yes, the first chapter (Guts) was disturbing. It made my dick hurt a little bit and I had to put the book down for a while mid-chapter. But after the first chapter, there's not much that's going to make you cringe until a while through.
I think "The Nightmare Box" is probably the best story in Haunted, but Guts is pretty awesome as well.

BBS Signature
MonkeyV
MonkeyV
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Chuck Palahniuk. 2010-07-25 05:54:11 Reply

and to TheBigLemon: I've heard bad things about snuff, but I do enjoy a bit of rubbish here and there so I may give it a read.

Oh.

Well I mean, have you not seen Fight Club, the movie?
If not then you should definitely read that ASAP.

BBS Signature
Mechabloby
Mechabloby
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Chuck Palahniuk. 2010-07-25 07:25:32 Reply

At 7/25/10 05:54 AM, MonkeyV wrote: Well I mean, have you not seen Fight Club, the movie?
If not then you should definitely read that ASAP.

Oh, I have seen the film, but I'm still interested in the book.

At 7/25/10 05:52 AM, MonkeyV wrote: Haunted is probably my favorite book.
As far as "disturbing" goes, yes, the first chapter (Guts) was disturbing. It made my dick hurt a little bit and I had to put the book down for a while mid-chapter. But after the first chapter, there's not much that's going to make you cringe until a while through.
I think "The Nightmare Box" is probably the best story in Haunted, but Guts is pretty awesome as well.

I definitely agree. I was reading "Guts" while I was at my college's library and people were just concerned about me because the state it left me in. I have to agree also that The Nightmare Box, if not the best, is one of the best stories in Haunted. I love the whole Mrs. Clark saga in that book and I also enjoy the stories that Mr. Wittier shares. Definitely an interesting read.

BBS Signature
<deleted>
Response to Chuck Palahniuk. 2010-07-25 10:19:27 Reply

I've read Fight Club and Haunted. To anyone really, I recommend both for various reasons, though they're not my favourite reads by any means.

I've talked about this before, in the Writing forum I think, but it's strange about 'Guts': I read it online first after I was linked to it on the BBS, by TheShrike I think, he made a thread about it. I was already slightly aware of it, and yeah, it did disturb me somewhat, but I could take it quite easily. When I came to re-read it when I had Haunted in my hands, it made me physically uncomfortable. It wasn't the section that he names the most disturbing in the afterword (the line about the vitamin tablet), but rather it was the bit with the hardened candle wax, and the description of the hospital. I really didn't understand why that happened - I bring it up now and then when people begin the e-books vs. books argument, because I think that might've been a factor.

I like 'The Nightmare Box' too, and Mr. Whittier's (first?) one, though I think my favourite might be the foot massage mafia one, because it's hilarious and it's tasty satire. And I think it's the second story in there, so it's a welcome break after 'Guts', though I agree with most fans in that 'Guts' is merely the most flashy and notorious - most people I've spoken to name the mountain lodge one as the most disturbing.

Someone mentioned turning Haunted into a film. It could always happen I suppose, but I think it's written deliberately snidely in order to make that process harder. In the afterword to my copy of Fight Club, he pretty much criticises a certain Mr. Fincher, Mr. Pitt and Mr. Norton and the process in general. I prefer the book of Fight Club to the film believe it or not-

dodges projectiles

- I just think it does a better job of pointing out the irony of the themes. The film, as expected because it's a big-budget Hollywood film, is too stylised for that in some areas, which isn't a bad thing or anything, but yeah. It's just a constant issue when you're making a film like that. You'll hate me for making the comparison, but it's somewhat like how just about every adaptation of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde somewhat ignore the possible fundamentals behind the imagery in the original novella.

Maybe I'm wrong for connecting it like that. It just seemed like he was getting a lot of yucks out of it all to me. It made for some of the more enjoyable moments in the 'main' story.

Sawdust
Sawdust
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to Chuck Palahniuk. 2010-07-25 10:29:13 Reply

At 1/3/10 12:15 PM, Chumbawamba wrote: Inhale.

Fuck you for reminding me about that disgusting story.