• Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Dark Knight Song Recreate? 2009-12-29 23:20:09 Reply

I would like to make a movie on youtube that has a song from the dark knight:
Why So Serious

unfortunetly, that song is copyrighted.

If possible, could anyone maybe make a recreation of that song?
I would appriciate it.

Mystery-Moon-Pie-Aud
Mystery-Moon-Pie-Aud
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Dark Knight Song Recreate? 2009-12-29 23:49:09 Reply

At 12/29/09 11:20 PM, Zuckyshow wrote: I would like to make a movie on youtube that has a song from the dark knight:
Why So Serious

I would appriciate it.

Just because you recreate a song doesn't mean the liscense isn't still in effect. It's the same exact song, so you would still be stealing. Doesn't make a difference. Now if you make a remix of the song (if the license allows for it), it won't be stealing. But regardless, the chances of the people caring about one person out of thousands who use the song isn't going to get you into a court case. Just use the song.

Strychnine and cyanide. A healthy part of this complete breakfast.

poipoi
poipoi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Dark Knight Song Recreate? 2009-12-30 02:11:03 Reply

if the melody is similar they might still mute it. read the youtube terms of service/faq?

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Dark Knight Song Recreate? 2009-12-30 02:12:48 Reply

At 12/29/09 11:49 PM, Mystery-Moon-Pie-Aud wrote:
At 12/29/09 11:20 PM, Zuckyshow wrote: I would like to make a movie on youtube that has a song from the dark knight:
Why So Serious

I would appriciate it.
Just because you recreate a song doesn't mean the liscense isn't still in effect. It's the same exact song, so you would still be stealing. Doesn't make a difference. Now if you make a remix of the song (if the license allows for it), it won't be stealing. But regardless, the chances of the people caring about one person out of thousands who use the song isn't going to get you into a court case. Just use the song.

While you are right about the recreation not nullifying the copyright, you are wrong about the stealing part.
It's not stealing unless you don't give credit, or claim credit for another artists work... Or if you are making money off whatever you used the song in. Youtube is acting dictatorship right now, seeing as very very few people actually make money from uploading to youtube, a lot of the videos with their audio pulled down "due to copyright" is uncalled for.

Which is a lot of the reason a lot of videos now have a very noticeable section in their description saying who owns whatever song they used.

Really, if you were to purchase a CD, soundtrack, whatever, you own the right to use whatever is on that disc for personal use. There is a thin line there between personal and commercial, but I really don't think simply posting a song with a video you made on youtube classifies as commercial, you aren't redistributing it (As you're not supposed to be able to download from youtube, yes, I know people can and do), and you are not reselling it.

Although at the rate people are freaking about copyright this, copyright that, pretty soon youtube will go out of business, along with any other video streaming hub... As 90% (Guesstimation) of the content on those sites is from movies, musicians CDs, games... All of which are copyrighted in one form or another.

Just use the song, the worst they can do is ask you take it down.

Audio/BBS Mod
News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
PeterSatera
PeterSatera
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Dark Knight Song Recreate? 2009-12-30 10:30:34 Reply

Unfortunately you are wrong...when I was doing law for music and film it was proved still a break in copyright act when you used music in any creative production without right. Just because there's no financial gain doesn't make it legal, nor because you purchased the cd. It's a complete misconception by the mass public that just because you aren't making any profit off it, makes it legal. It doesn't.

That's why YouTube is pulling them down. They have not obtained legal right to use the music in their production. The reason why so little is done about it is because there are too many people doing it to chase up, as well as a number of benefits the creators recieves by having their music promoted.

Anyway...On topic.
I've done a track CalledInferno for a Hero.

• '08 Inferno for a Hero
    '08 Inferno for a Hero by PeterSatera

Click to listen.

Score
    4.11 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Classical
    Popularity

It's fairly poor to be honest, mastering wise, But I've been working on doing less EQ, and trying to keep that genuine orchestra sound over this Xmas. The sound isn't perfect but far superior in comparison. If you are interested, I'd enjoy helping you out. :)

BBS Signature