00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

kyzakay just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ngadm: Round 1 Results

12,119 Views | 110 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Ngadm: Round 1 Results 2009-12-26 09:26:46

Greetings to all NG Audio Death Match members! Here are your (unfortunately delayed...) results. Remember, any submissions for Round 2 go IN THIS THREAD and from now on, any casual conversations between participants go in here too. The original thread is reserved for people who want to enter Group 2 only. Now, I will post my criticism on each song along with my scores in the next few posts (it won't fit in one post). Then, Darklight17 proceeds to post his criticism/scores, and finally, I post the results that sum everything up and state the winners. Then Darklight posts the who vs who thread so you can know your opponent for Round 2, and ONLY THEN are you allowed to post any comments to this thread. Also, unfortunately, because of people dropping out, we are now 2 members short for Round 2. The good news is wtflolnoob agreed to enter Group 1, but I'm asking other people from Group 2 to enter Group 1 as well. Once we have the other person we need from Group 2, he will go against wtflolnoob.

To sum this up, enjoy the results, and congratulations to the people who passed. We almost had a tie between SineRider and callitsleep89, but luckily we didn't. As for the ones who didn't make it, touch luck, there's always next year. The standard of songs that were submitted is actually very high in my opinion, and I enjoyed almost all of the submissions. So, without further ado, I will now post my results. Note that it might take long, because of the restriction of posting more than a certain number of posts in half an hour, but remember, do NOT post anything until Darklight states the who vs who. Thank you for reading, and once again, enjoy!

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Ngadm: Round 1 Results 2009-12-26 09:28:00

RESULTS - SUPERSTEPH54

-------------

SUMMARY : Well made, even with its defects.

REVIEW : This is fun to listen to, and even though some problems ruin it a little, I enjoyed it. I really liked the intro: the way it started with no sense of rythm (which is probably why you called it Chaos) but then the drums come in and start the song up (Which is probably why you called it Structured). The tune is catchy, and some parts are really fun to listen to, but sadly once the song goes past the two minute marker, and the song slows down, it starts to get a little boring. I'd suggest making that part not last so long, so the song moves back into its former headbanging rythm. The drums are OK, if not best quality, but the beats are perfect for Heavy Metal. They may need more variety, and I believe they should be quieter, since they started covering up the guitar a slight bit too much, but other than those defects, the drums really added a lot to this submission. Unfortunately the ending wasn't too good. First it sounded like you were about to get ready for a final powerful note, then it sounded like you were going to loop it, and then I was left with a slightly weird ending saying 'Hm, that's all?'. I'd say a 7 to this song - Good job, keep it up, and next time make it even better ;).

SCORE : 7/10

-------------

SUMMARY : Death Metal at its craziest.

REVIEW : This song is insanely powerful. Exactly when it starts, the powerful guitar riffs and fast paced drums hit you right in the face. The lyrics just add to the insanity. Sadly, what this song need is better mastering. The drums were too quiet, and the lyrics started overpowering the guitar a bit too much. Speaking of the lyrics, they are very well done. Brutal, and the way they were sung sounded as if the singer wanted to grab your insides and tear them in half. I liked the Pre-Chorus most, it sounded really brutal and crazy, which is why my eyes widened when I heard it, even though my eyes were wide for almost the whole song. I think the lyrics were a bit too grunt-ish, if you get what I mean. If you could make them a little cleaner and easier to understand, not only would it be enjoyed by people who like Death Metal, but also by people who don't exactly enjoy grunting. The ending wasn't too good though. I'd picture a song like this ending much less abrupt, maybe going slower, and then ending with a final crash and guitar chord. An 8 for this song - moved down to 8 because of mastering problems and the ending mostly.

Kirbyfemur - 7 / 10
Pure-Metal-UTA - 8 / 10

-------------

SUMMARY : Extremely creative, but slightly random.

REVIEW : First thing that comes into mind once you hear a song like this is surely 'wow, that's creative'. I mean, I've never heard of a DnB track which sounds good which actually incorporates a saxophone and piano along with such fast paced drums. I suppose the drums were well done, but you overused the snare too much in my opinion, and the kick needs to be much harder. The drums were very well varied, but unfortunately varied so much that to some extent they felt random, especially in the parts when the crash cymbals started playing here and there. Also, the drums were a bit too loud, and I didn't find the drum solos particularly interesting. Either you put some ambient parts in those drum solos, give more effects or just remove them entirely. When the song reaches its climaxes, such as when there a was the sax and piano playing at the same time, it became really interesting to listen to. The ending needs work: maybe ending it with the sax and a piano chord along with a crash cymbal would've been better than ending with those drums, since it made the ending sound rather strange. I'll give this song a 7 - you get points for the superb intro and excellent creativity, along with a nice blend of sax and piano, but you lose points for the drums. Keep up the decent work, I hope to hear more creative pieces from you.

-------------

SUMMARY : It'll never get out of my head.

REVIEW : What gets me most in songs like this are the amazing melodies. Your melodies are very nice. The beginning melody was extremely catchy, and I immensely enjoyed listening to it. All the other melodies are awesome too, especially the ones played by the high square synth, but that melody at the beginning is purely fantastic. What also impressed me was the excellent drum work. It was right at home playing with that catchy melody, and made this extremely good song even more fun to listen to. The length of the song is quite good too - not too long and not too short, plus it didn't get too boring to listen to. Now we have some bad news. The song needs more variety, especially the drums. They were the same throughout the whole song, and even though the beat is excellent and aligned perfectly with the song, it definitely needs more variety. I only heard a maximum of 2 beats: the main beat and the soft one played by the shakers/hi-hats. I'd suggest adding at least 4 more beats in a song as long as this. Even the melodies need some variety too. The melody at the beginning was quite overused in my opinion, and the only variation of it was at 1:48, which although was excellent, you still proceeded to repeating it again and again till the end of the song. Long story short, even though this has quite a few repetitive aspects to it, the extraordinary and simply amazing melodies and great song structure make up for it, for sure, which is why you get a 9. Keep it up!

SCORE : 9/10

Chozz - 7 / 10
Bjra - 9 / 10

Continues on a new post...

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Ngadm: Round 1 Results 2009-12-26 09:29:11

At 12/26/09 09:28 AM, Supersteph54 wrote: Continues on a new post...

-------------

SUMMARY : Purely Epic.

REVIEW : This song is excellent, and I really enjoyed listening to it, not only because it's my favourite genre, but also because it was so well done. The horns really added tension to this song, and both the name and the song compliment each other. The strings sounded great too, and the percussion in the background was great. What I would ask for in the percussion would be more snares, since there were only timpanis and cymbals, practically. Some soft snares would really fit well in the beginning of the song, and a powerful marching snare around the song would sound excellent. Also, your flute seems a little blurry, and it was occasionally quite hard to make out what notes it was playing, especially at 1:01. Also, in my opinion, the ending is quite abrupt: it felt as if that hit at the end seemed to come out of nowhere, so that needs a little work. On the other hand, the intro was very good, and I liked that you varied from the soft/calm parts to the epic parts in the song, other than leaving the song all calm or all action-packed. This song deserves a 9 for sure - points removed for abrupt ending, lack of snares, blurry flute, and also the fact that the song is rather short.

-------------

SUMMARY : A collection of catchy guitar riffs.

REVIEW : I hear many excellent ideas and catchy guitar riffs in this song, but its problem lies in its randomness. To start with, there were some very weird transitions, especially that strange transition at 1:28 which sounded almost like strings jumping in the song to fill in that transition. Also, at 2:54 or so, the song switched to acoustic, which was very weird, since it went in completely random. I see you were trying to go for a calmer part in the song, but sadly, with such a rough transition to that calm part, it almost ruined it. Things get crazier at 3:20 where the crazy guitar riffs jump in out of nowhere, making the listener jump. Also, the guitar was very loud, and covered up any trace of drums, and when remembering how important powerful drums are in Heavy Metal songs, it's a real bummer barely being able to hear the drums. From what I heard, they were decently varied, and had good beats, so they just need to be much louder. To sum things all up, this song has some really epic and awesome guitar riffs here and there, especially around 2:00, but the weird transitions, random structure, loud guitar and very quiet drums surely ruin all of the excellent riffs you have here, forcing me to call this a collection of catchy guitar riffs rather than a structured song. Work harder on your structure, because when it comes to guitar riffs, you're a master. A 6 because of the problems mentioned above. Not a bad job, but the song needs more work.

SCORE : 6/10

MH16 - 9 / 10
parlormonkey - 6 / 10

-------------

SUMMARY : Fun to listen to at first, but gets slightly annoying.

REVIEW : Well, for a drum/noise only song, I have to admit, this was well done, and I enjoyed it. Still, I would've liked some melody inside as well. Maybe some powerful/dirty bass or some delayed/plucked instrument. Something to make this song memorable other than catchy beats and powerful rhythm. On the bright side, there were some very nice sound effects, such as the one at 0:46, and the transitions were awesome, namely the ones at 0:57, 1:29 and 2:20. The sounds you used were excellent as well. The kick was powerful and sounded great, plus I liked that reverbed clap thing and the background depth of the song was great. Unfortunately, this was a little boring to listen to after some time, since the background barely changed. Maybe you added a few stuff in the foreground, and made some parts when the background only was playing, but that isn't enough variety to last a whole 3 minutes. This needs some more variety concerning the background, and maybe you can add some more sounds. You should add a vocal sample too. One at 1:29, if timed right, would fit really well. So, in a nutshell, for simply a song crafted out of drums and noise, plus a few sound effects here and there, this was very well done. Just improve on background variety and maybe the addition of new sounds/vocal samples, and then from an 8 you'd get a 10.

SCORE : 8/10

-------------

SUMMARY : Much too random.

REVIEW : I'm not too sure about this one. The song seemed to start well, and I was getting ready for a good hip-hop song, but once I heard the strange beat come in, I completely lost its rhythm. It was really hard to keep track of, and at times got almost painful to listen to. For starters, that note you played at the beginning was used throughout the song, with maybe some very rare times when the note doesn't play, but for the whole track it kept interfering with everything. The only good thing about it is that it kept the rhythm, and if you took it away, I wouldn't get head or tails of the song, but keeping the rhythm is supposed to be the job of the beat. Speaking about the beat, it was quite simple and almost random, plus it was pretty weird at times. Not to mention the fact that it was a bit too loud and kept interfering with everything else. This song doesn't have any fixed main melodic instrument except that instrument playing the one monotonous D note. This was covered in weird sound effects along with a choir background, some weird vocal samples, the one annoying note and a weird beat. You get points for originality, and I suppose you did put some effort in it, but the rhythm's all over the place, and the song is very annoying to listen to. The ending is strange too... I'm giving you a 5, but don't let it put your hopes down. You seem to have potential, and I'm sure you can make a good song, but make sure that when you're working on your song, you don't add too many annoying and weird effects, strange beats, annoying repetitive notes and try and keep a stable rhythm.

SCORE : 5/10

djInTheDark - 8 / 10
Scribbler - 5 / 10

Continues on a new post...

BBS Signature

Response to Ngadm: Round 1 Results 2009-12-26 09:30:16

At 12/26/09 09:29 AM, Supersteph54 wrote: Continues on a new post...

-------------

SUMMARY : What a melody!

REVIEW : This is a really good song, and I enjoyed it a lot. There were many awesome things about it. To start with, those melodies are awesome. This song has such a good rhythm with such a great pace, I couldn't help smiling throughout it. Secondly, the synths are very creative and unique. The main synth which came in at 0:27 just sounded so cool, and I've never heard anything like it before. The background pads and synths were all amazing too, and the synths and melodies compliment each other perfectly. The structure is really good, and although the variety of melodies isn't exceptional, the melodies are so cool and all over the place that it hardly matters. Even though this song has so many great things about it, it still has some defects. Firstly, the drums are a bit of a problem. I suppose the beats were OK, but the drums need a little more variety to them, so they could match the crazy and chaotic foreground of this song. Also, they were a tad on the loud side too, and at times covered up the song's instruments. Drums could use some automation changes with filters and stuff as well. Oh, and the ending is quite eerie and abrupt. What would make a really cool ending is if you cut out from about 3:23 till the end and then played from 1:33 to 1:38 again. It's much better than a weird and abrupt crash cymbal coming out of nowhere ;). Finally, I didn't really like the intro much. That synth was pretty generic, and I'd prefer if you started with some pad which then builds up into the action-packed rhythm of the song. Anyway, all in all, this song surely gets a 9 from me. I enjoyed it immensely because of the amazing synths and extremely (almost exaggeratingly) catchy melodies mostly, and I hope to hear more songs like this from you!

-------------

SUMMARY : Decent, but at times pretty generic.

REVIEW : It's pretty enjoyable to listen to at times, but nothing really too special. I'll start with the melodies : they were OK, maybe not that catchy, but pretty well done, especially the bell synth's melodies. The bass synth was rather annoying though, and pretty generic too. I was hoping for some solos here and there, maybe the addition of a new synth other than just a bell and bass. I mean, for the whole song, the bass was playing some tedious notes, and you could've added a part where the bells only were playing. The intro was pretty good, and had a nice drum beat to start the song up, but after the one minute marker, the song starts getting a little annoying. The last 40 seconds were pretty cool though, with some nice bass melodies. Unfortunately the ending wasn't too good, since it ended on a weird note. The drums were just the right volume, and had an interesting beat. Strangely enough, one of the samples sounds like the FL preset snare :P. Anyhow, overall it's pretty good, and has some nice beats, plus decent variety and some good melodies, but the ending was pretty weird, the bass got annoying, this needs more synths, and it is rather generic. Not a bad job overall - I'll give you a 7.

Skela - 9 / 10
I-Saved-The-World - 7 / 10

-------------

SUMMARY : Huh, over already? :(.

REVIEW : Yeah, it's too short. I enjoyed the song quite a lot. The atmosphere that the pads and ambience create is excellent, and towards the end of this (very short, btw) song, the ambience doubled in power and it was just out of this world. You really should try and continue the song with a more powerful ambience such as the ambience you did towards the end. When it comes to the drums, the beat is great, but maybe you could vary more in samples, and maybe add a few more beats here and there. Maybe a kick every beat at times, or some softer beats here and there to cut the monotony of the fast-paced beat you already have. 1:08 had some nice hats as well, they fit with the song really well. Some piano melody or something would be cool too, I think it would fit well if you try and continue the song. Oh, and of course, the vocal sample is top-notch quality. I liked the effect you put in it too. So, yeah, my only criticism is that the song is way too short, the drums need just a little more variety and this could use a piano melody. Good job on it overall, I enjoyed it, and it deserves the 8 I gave it, although I was really tempted to give this a 9... sadly, it's too short :(.

-------------

SUMMARY : Variety, Variety, Variety.

REVIEW : The summary says it all. I like the song in general, but sadly it's very repetitive, and that ruined the submission a little. The melodies are well done, and are pretty catchy, but this song needs more than just two melodies and a few subtle changes here and there. What I like about your melodies is that they're catchy and have that really nice hook to it, but what I don't like about them is that they're only 2 bars long each. You should try and make longer and slightly more complex melodies, since although these fit with the theme of the song, they were repetitive and didn't last for longer than 2 bars. I liked the intro a lot, and the transitions are excellent, but the ending needs work. It ends on a wrong note, and ends up as a very mysterious and weird ending. As for the drums, I like your beat, but you definitely need more variety. It's good that you added some automation shifts on the filters of the drums, but other than that, the drum beat stayed the same for the whole song, which was a big bummer, and just added to the repetitiveness that this song has. Overall, I enjoyed it, but needs some work. I was going to give you a 7, but that great intro managed to boost it up to an 8. Not a bad job, if you vary this a little more, it'd be great. Keep up the great work, your main problem is variety, and I'd love to see more variety in your tracks.

SessileNomad - 8 / 10
alextheDJ - 8 / 10

BBS Signature

Response to Ngadm: Round 1 Results 2009-12-26 09:56:48

-------------

SUMMARY : Hm, Christmassy.

REVIEW : Well, it sounds a lot like a christmas song, I can tell you that :P. Anyway, overall I enjoyed it, but needs some work. I enjoyed the bells' melodies quite a bit, and the pads in the background were pretty cool too. Sadly, the melodies were pretty simple. Almost every bell note was the same length. If you made some more complicated melodies which still sound good, that'd be awesome. The structure is quite good, if not a slight bit too random. I liked the choirs, they gave a really nice winter-ish feel to the song. When it comes to the instruments, they all sounded great, but if I had to say anything about the drums, I think they're a bit too rough. You said you didn't want any saw basses since they would be too rough and not match your animation and yet the drums are really rough. I think you could use some cleaner drums, and stuff that has to do with winter, such as tambourines and sleigh bells. The snare was really rough, and that kick was quite loud and rough too. The ending is a fade ending, which IMO didn't fit with this submission. I mean, by doing a fade ending, you're telling me that winter lasts forever. I'd suggest playing a bell solo, and then a ritardando (that is, the song gets slower towards the end) and finally you end it with a suitable ending note and that crash/kick you used at 1:48. Anyhow, in general it's a good song, but the rough drums, slightly random structure, simplistic melodies, unsuitable ending and its length (it is pretty short) force me to move the score down to a 7. You almost got an 8 though. Just work on the problems mentioned above, and you would've gotten a 10. Keep up the good work though!

-------------

SUMMARY : Impressive.

REVIEW : This is well done, and it shows that you're really skilled at producing. I really can't find much to criticize about it, it's so good. The only bad things I can find in it would be the repetitive intro, and although it's hard to make varied intros in Progressive Trance, Some more variety in the automation and maybe just a few more variations of the drum beat could work out. Also, the kick sometimes gets annoying to listen to, maybe at times you could change your kick sample throughout the song, or at least turn it down a little, since it's a bit too hard. Other than those two nitpicks, this song is great. I loved the transitions, and that part when the song goes quiet at 4:07 was an excellent addition, and the melody you put in there was awesome. There were some very nice effects throughout the song, and the melodies are relaxing yet fun to listen to. Excellent choice of instruments too. Maybe at times the song is a little generic, but that's hardly a problem when you have such great transitons, effects, and melodies. I really liked the buildups in this song too, for example the one at the beginning and the one at around 5:01. Just a few nitpicks moved the score down to a 9, but in all honesty I enjoyed listening to this, and I hope you continue using your excellent producing skills :). Guh, I've given high scores on all of the progressive trance songs in this competition, and now people will think that I like Progressive Trance and that I'm favouring it from the other genres, when the truth is I don't and I'm not :(. Anyway, whatever, keep up the fantastic work!

YouriX - 7 / 10
Osher - 9 / 10

-------------

SUMMARY : Has its pros and cons.

REVIEW : It's a nice song: relaxing and easy-going, and fun to listen to as well. The melodies are well done, especially the piano melodies. I liked the brass-like instrument that came in at 1:35, it gave the submission a lot of depth and blended in with the piano really well. 2:23 is when the song completely changes mood, which made the submission more than just a calm song with some drums, and the song merits more than a second listening because of that. Instruments were good quality too. Now for the defects of the song. The drums, in my opinion, are too loud, and at times it's hard to listen to the piano with the drums in the way. Also, at the beginning, the beats got a little shuffled and I lost rhythm. On the bright side, the drums were decently varied. Still, when it comes to the piano, I think it was a little blurry and it was hard to get what the notes were playing. Transitions were well done though, and the intro was great, plus I liked how the song ended; soft and calm. It fit well with the song. I think the only main problems in this are the loud drums and blurry piano, because I quite enjoyed the submission even though it has those defects. An 8.

-------------

SUMMARY : A little boring at times, but overall great.

REVIEW : It's quite a good song, in my opinion. What I really liked about it was the use of the flute. It fit so beautifully with the theme of a forest, and the flute and piano blended in nicely. The instruments were OK quality, I liked the sound of the violin. I also noticed your use of sound effects. It's good to add some sound effects in songs, but I think you made them a little too loud. They're starting to get in the way of the melodies. Also, you could add some other sound effects such as birds chirping, owls hooting, maybe a fire blazing in the background or something mystical like windchymes and stuff. Things like those are needed to give off the atmosphere of a forest. I liked your instrument choice, though, and I also liked the part at 3:08 where all the instruments played together. Unfortunately, towards the middle of the song, it started to get slightly boring. This needs something in the song which grabs the listeners attention, like maybe the addition of a new instrument, or some more percussion like congas and bongoes. Speaking of percussion, it was quite simple: maybe add more than just maraccas. Finally, the piano started to get very repetitive throughout the song. It was the same 4 bars for the whole song, and it started to get a little monotonous. Loved the ending, though, and the intro was pretty good too. Overall, this is a nice song with excellent instrument choice, decent melodies, good intro, fantastic ending, great atmosphere and good blend. Just work a little more on percussion, variety of the background, more sound effects, and maybe some volume tweaking on the sound effects you already have, and from an 7 you would've gotten a 10 from me.

SineRider - 8 / 10
callitsleep89 - 7 / 10

Darklight posts next...

BBS Signature

Response to Ngadm: Round 1 Results 2009-12-26 09:59:48

Well, here are my results. Sry the reviews are so short, btu i was as sick as a dog while i did this and i could barely write through my pounding headache. ll make the longer next time though.

-----------------
Kirbyfemur - Structured Chaos:

Not a bad job. Overall structure was great. Intro was slightly slow to start and the chord progressions werent as smooth as i would have liked. However, guitar quality wasnt bad and drums were fantastic and varied. Could've used a bit more humanizing. Ending was nice too.

Score = 8/10
---------
Chozz - Fingers Crossed:

Well, snare is slightly too loud and it sort of covered everything else up. Piano was a bit too faint and could've used a bit more variety. Still, not exactly a bad job. Could've used more background and blend on the instruments and the instrument used in the background was slightly discordant in some parts. Drums needed more variety and the ending was slightly too abrupt.

Score = 6/10
---------
MH16 - Nowhere to Hide:

A brilliant and epic piece. Well done. Could've used more background namely using cellos and Double Basses as they are the key to every good epic song. However, you did a fantastic job of blending those other instruments together. As a musician i know how hard that can be. nice string work and i liked the use of timpani too. Ending was nice but slightly abrupt.

Score = 9/10
---------
djinTheDark - Let the Games Begin:

Not exactly house. Would've fit more under electro or industrial. However, its a fantastic piece. Amazing buildups and transitions. the intro was slightly wierd however although it provided a nice dark build up to the main melody. backgrounds were slightly repetitive however and ending was slightly abrupt.

Score = 8/10
---------
Eatmeatleet - Astral travel:

Not a bad piece all round. Created a nice and creative background which was nicely overlayed by the main instruments. sadly, some notes were a bit dissonant. Drums did get a bit repetitive and background did not sound well with the melody in some parts. voices were slightly incomprehensibe.

Score = 7/10
---------
Vanguard182 - I Promise:

There's not other way i can describe this besides simply amazing. I can scarcely find anything to criticise in this. Its simply great! What can i say? Blend is amazing, instruments are brilliant, melodies are varied and drumwork is fantastic. Some slight glitches in the intro but overall a great piece of work.

Score = 10/10
---------
Parlormonkey - Primordial:

Ouch, thats one amazingly grating guitar riff. I did notice some melodies. You cut off the guitar abruptly twice, replacing it with some other melody, which only lasted for a second before being destroyed once again by the guitar. Yes, i could sense a song somewhere, but i couldnt hear it.

Score = 5/10
---------
xKore - Moments:

Simply brilliant. And by brilliant i mean amazingly, fantasticly and superbly mind-blowing. I wasnt exactly sure of the intro but as the song progressed those drums and those melodies just clicked around me and i realised how amazing this song is. Drumwork is brilliant and melodies are varied and excellent. Brillaint work!

Score = 10/10
---------
Skela - Mellow Man:

Good work. A catchy melody and brilliant drum work. Nice synth work and fantastic melodies. An overall brilliant job. However, chord progressions tended to get slightly repetitive and the ending was slightly too abrupt. What i suggest is that u make either a fade out outro, or end it with an interrupted cadence to leave the user hanging.

Score = 8/10
---------
Pure-Metal-UTA - Deathmatch:

well, There's basically no semblance of a melody here, chord progressions are repetitive and the voice is barely comprehensible. Drums are the only thing which make any sense in this. Id suggest u put some more work in this, it could definetely do with some kind of melody and the voice needs to be able to be heard by the listener, and more understandable. Superb lyrics though, that got ur score up quite a bit.

Score = 7/10
---------
SessileNomad - Fertile Grounds and Open Skies:

Well, its a bery ambientish DnB. Amazing synth work and the drums are great. Voices are nicely recorded and coudl be heard clearly. Those are a nice touch btw. Ncie poem at the beginning too. Bass however, is sadly lacking. There's only one bass and its a bit repetitive. ITs also too damn short. However, given the short amount of time you had, i wont reduce ur points too much for that.

Score = 8/10
---------
Dragon-Teenager - Blue Skies:

Well, it definetely shows that uve worked hard on this. orchestration is simply impressive. Drums are slightly repetitive but it's classical so no points reduced. Piano parts need more chords as they lacked some bass in those parts. Otherwise, nice work. Great intro and outro was fantastic too.

Score = 9/10
---------
SineRider - Sleeperhold:

Repetitve start, but sets off to great synth work after that. Nice work on background and blend, those are simply amazing. Melodies are slightly repetitive and there were some discordant notes in some small areas. Drums too got slightly repetitve although i liked the use of small variations that you used. Nice work overall.
Score = 9/10
---------
Bjra - Fourth Dimension:

This is simply amazing! That synth is nicely used and the dozens of melodies you used are fantastic. Nice drum work too. It didnt get repetitive whatsoever. Intro too was amazing, you started off slow and easy bringing in ur amazing drums and amazing backgrounds. Overall, simply fantastic!

Score = 10/10
---------
I-Saved-The-World - Some Day:

Nice work. What i didnt like was the utter lack of humanization. Now i know its techno and its electronic music but humanization always helps in the fact that the user doesnt get bored listening to the same old note velocities and lengths. Well, it had a decent blend and background. Drums were slightly repetitive however. And the bass is also severely generic.

Score = 7/10
---------
Scribbler - Fancy Mike:

Ouch...Repetitive note hurts my ears. A lot! Only one melody i could decipher and that was overpowered by that dang annoying note. No rhythm either. I couldnt figure out any use of a regular beat here. Im sorry, but this needs a lot more work.

Score = 5/10
---------
callitsleep89 - 3 Souls Traverse the Forest:

Nice orchestration and use of effects. Background notes got slightly repetitive however, even though the melodies are simply great. What id suggest was some sort of build up as the song progressed, that sort of climax to anticlimax stuff is used often in classical. maybe the flute and clarinet (or is oboe?) could play together. Brilliant use of a violin too.

Score = 9/10
---------
Box-Killa - Madness_Ultimacy:

Well, its most definetely not your best work. Im sure you could do a helluva lot better. For a madness loop, its not bad. A good use of drums but tahts basically it. The synth is jsut pitch bended too the point of driving someone crazy. Im sure this would be good for giving someone a headache, but as music, not so much.

Score = 6/10
---------
Osher - Trantastic:

Impressive work. Simply superb. Kick is fantastic and drums, although slightly repetitive, are great. I have no idea how you managed to work out over 8 mins in two weeks, but u did a helluva brilliant job. This amount of variety is simply superb and the great melodies you installed put my amazed level up to the point of insanity. fantastic work!

Score = 10/10
---------
alextheDJ - Mystery:

Well, It is slightly repetitive in the beginning. Nice work on the melodies which are introduced alter though. Those are great. Drums are the key problem here however. As our harsh friend Blackhole12 mentioned, its DRUM'n'bass. It could definetely use more work on terms of drums and some extra melodies wouldnt hurt either.

Score = 7/10
--------
YouriX - Break the Winter:

Well, not a bad job. Drums arent the best though, and it could've used more of a blend as right now it sounds the same as a midi file would sound. You could use more powerful drums as those always help. And a nice background melody wouldnt hurt either. Still, overall, not a bad job but could use more work.

Score = 7/10
--------

Response to Ngadm: Round 1 Results 2009-12-26 10:01:14

-ROUND 1 RESULTS-

ImperfectDisciple vs Kazmo - Winner: None.
NONE vs NONE

SessileNomad vs AlextheDJ - Winner: SessileNomad
8 + 8 + 7 = 23/30 vs 8 + 7 + 6 = 21/30
7.67/10 vs 7/10

Kirbyfemur vs Pure-Metal-UTA - Winner: Kirbyfemur
4 + 7 + 8 = 19/30 vs 2 + 8 + 7 = 17/30
6.34/10 vs 5.67/10

Blackhole12 vs Syntrus - Winner: Blackhole12 (By Default)
JUDGE vs NONE

Callitsleep89 vs SineRider - Winner: SineRider
9 + 7 + 7 = 23/30 vs 7 + 9 + 8 = 24/30
7.67/10 vs 8/10

Phoog vs SolusLunes - Winner: None
NONE vs NONE

I-Saved-The-World vs Skela - Winner: Skela
6 + 7 + 7 = 20/30 vs 9 + 8 + 8 = 25/30
6.67/10 vs 8.34/10

Osher vs YouriX - Winner: Osher
9 + 9 + 10 = 28/30 vs 7 + 6 + 7 = 20/30
9.34/10 vs 6.67/10

Scribbler vs djInTheDark - Winner: djInTheDark
5 + 4 + 5 = 14/30 vs 8 + 8 + 6 = 22/30
4.67/10 vs 7.34/10

Box-killa vs Daveguy - Winner: Box-Killa (By Default)
6 + 5 + 6 = 17/30 vs NONE
5.67/10 vs NONE

La-yinn vs Eatmeatleet - Winner: Eatmeatleet (By Default)
NONE vs 7 + 6 + 7 = 20/30
NONE vs 6.6710

Bjra vs Chozz - Winner: Bjra
9 + 8 + 10 = 27/30 vs 7 + 6 + 7 = 20/30
9/10 vs 6.67/10

Dragon-Teenager vs Envy - Winner: Dragon-Teenager (By

Default)
9 + 9 + 7 = 25/30 vs NONE
8.34/10 vs NONE

Carf vs xKore - Winner: xKore (By Default)
NONE vs 9 + 9 + 10 = 28/30
NONE vs 9.33/10

Vanguard812 vs Chronamut - Winner: Vanguard812 (By Default)
10 + 9 + 8 = 27/30 vs NONE
9/10 vs NONE

ParlorMonkey vs MH16 - Winner: MH16
6 + 5 + 5 = 16/30 vs 9 + 9 + 8 = 26/30
5.34/10 vs 8.67/10

Winners of Round 1:

SessileNomad
KirbyFemur
Blackhole12
SineRider
Skela
Osher
djInTheDark
Box-Killa
eatmeetleet
Bjra
dragon-teenager
xKore
vanguard812
MH16
wtflolnoob
<>

BBS Signature

Response to Ngadm: Round 1 Results 2009-12-26 10:01:55

Well, here you go. Pairings for round 2. Congrats to all those who passed. to all those who

didnt, hard luck guys, u did a damn fine job in my opinion. Besides there's always next year no?

Skela vs DjintheDark
SineRider vs xKore
Blackhole12 vs Box-Killa
Vanguard182 vs Kirbyfemur
Bjra vs Dragon Teenager
SessileNomad vs eatmeetleet
MH16 vs Osher
wtflolnoob vs <Opponenent still not determined>

Competition is getting tougher guys. Good luck to all of ya!

Darklight17

Response to Ngadm: Round 1 Results 2009-12-26 10:03:37

Alright guys, post away!

I hope nobody drops out this time :P.

BBS Signature

Response to Ngadm: Round 1 Results 2009-12-26 11:46:39

well done those that got through :)

Response to Ngadm: Round 1 Results 2009-12-26 13:47:20

Just an outsider's comment:

Holy crap steph and darklight, wicked job reviewing all of these! It's awesome to see someone running things here so well, kudos to you two!!

BBS Signature

Response to Ngadm: Round 1 Results 2009-12-26 13:48:20

Yes! I'm through to the next round :-)
Congrats to everyone who also are through to the next round and better luck next time to those who didn't.

BBS Signature

Response to Ngadm: Round 1 Results 2009-12-26 14:00:02

At 12/26/09 01:47 PM, tingtonger wrote: Just an outsider's comment:

Holy crap steph and darklight, wicked job reviewing all of these! It's awesome to see someone running things here so well, kudos to you two!!

Thanks, man :). Thank Blackhole12 too, he went and reviewed all of the submissions even when he originally was never intended to be a judge for Round 1 :D. Whatever, thanks for the kudos xD. Wish you took part, it would've made the contest much more dramatic :D.

At 12/26/09 10:01 AM, Darklight17 wrote: Bjra vs Dragon Teenager

Wow, guys, I just found out, Dragon Teenager is against someone hard again, lol! You have some sort of curse on you :P.

-----

By the way, anyone from group 2 who wishes to go against wtflolnoob in Group 1 please send me a PM.

BBS Signature

Response to Ngadm: Round 1 Results 2009-12-26 15:25:30

WOAH. I'm shocked. Seriously, how did I make it to the next round. Oh well, can't complain :D And to my previous opponent, I seriously thought you were going to win, based on the song itself and your track record as far as an artists goes.

Well played, looking forward to the deadline announcement so I can post my next sub!

Maybe I'll get a 9 this time, who knows...

The Main Thing is to keep the Main, Thing the Main Thing.

Latest Song: Retraktion [House/Electro] / Latest Mix: Voltaicly Uncondensed

BBS Signature

Response to Ngadm: Round 1 Results 2009-12-26 16:01:19

wow, amazing jobs with the reviews guys! Great submissions too. All around great job with round one!

quarl BandCamp

Response to Ngadm: Round 1 Results 2009-12-26 18:14:09

At 12/26/09 10:01 AM, Supersteph54 wrote: Kirbyfemur vs Pure-Metal-UTA - Winner: Kirbyfemur
6.34/10 vs 5.67/10

Good work Kirby. For once I actually think that this was a fair competition because of how the judgements were made.
The reviews were extremely helpful, and I'll try to find an even balance of instrumentation and vocals.
I'll leave what was my submission for round 2 up, although I won't be in it.
Good luck in the next round, Kirby, you'll have my support.

Response to Ngadm: Round 1 Results 2009-12-26 18:17:00

Lol wow, that was a rather close round for Pure-Metal-UTA and me.

Response to Ngadm: Round 1 Results 2009-12-26 19:44:29

wow great reviews for everyone

close call between me and alex

Response to Ngadm: Round 1 Results 2009-12-26 20:07:03

Good to see some great peer2peer reviewing going on here! Keep it up!

Response to Ngadm: Round 1 Results 2009-12-26 21:15:56

At 12/26/09 06:14 PM, Pure-Metal-UTA wrote:
At 12/26/09 10:01 AM, Supersteph54 wrote: Kirbyfemur vs Pure-Metal-UTA - Winner: Kirbyfemur
6.34/10 vs 5.67/10
Good work Kirby. For once I actually think that this was a fair competition because of how the judgements were made.
The reviews were extremely helpful, and I'll try to find an even balance of instrumentation and vocals.
I'll leave what was my submission for round 2 up, although I won't be in it.
Good luck in the next round, Kirby, you'll have my support.

Somehow my post came right after yous and i didn't see it lol.

The scores weren't really one sided which i'm glad, even if one of the voters hated Metal, it still was rather even.

Thank you for your support, i hope i can at least score a couple of points against my next opponent xD

Response to Ngadm: Round 1 Results 2009-12-26 22:50:29

Good job to everyone in the first round, and good luck to everyone for round 2!

Response to Ngadm: Round 1 Results 2009-12-27 00:00:52

BBS Signature

Response to Ngadm: Round 1 Results 2009-12-27 04:52:25

Thanks to everyone for the support! Glad to see there weren't any flame wars or anything :D.

Anyway, just to say that I asked Quarl if he can go against wtflolnoob in Group 1, and he said yes, so Round 2 isn't problematic anymore. In other words:

wtflolnoob vs Quarl

Alright guys, get producing! XD

BBS Signature

Response to Ngadm: Round 1 Results 2009-12-27 05:27:23

At 12/27/09 04:52 AM, Supersteph54 wrote:
Alright guys, get producing! XD

AWWWW, that means i lose automatically, i'm a composer/musician. T_T

Response to Ngadm: Round 1 Results 2009-12-27 10:48:27

At 12/27/09 04:52 AM, Supersteph54 wrote: Alright guys, get producing!

Woah. Wait a second. Since you just posted that, does that mean that my submission doesn't count. Because a few posts ago you said "get posting'" so I assumed that we were now aloud to put songs up.

Sorry for that, just got a little panicked when you said the reverse of what you said before.

BBS Signature

Response to Ngadm: Round 1 Results 2009-12-27 12:58:41

Response to Ngadm: Round 1 Results 2009-12-27 13:25:06

At 12/27/09 10:48 AM, djInTheDark wrote:
At 12/27/09 04:52 AM, Supersteph54 wrote: Alright guys, get producing!
Woah. Wait a second. Since you just posted that, does that mean that my submission doesn't count. Because a few posts ago you said "get posting'" so I assumed that we were now aloud to put songs up.

Sorry for that, just got a little panicked when you said the reverse of what you said before.

Lol, no, it's fine :P.

And for Kirbyfemur, I'll rephrase:

Get producing/composing/music-making/doing-s omething-which-has-a-result-of-a-song-in g! xP

BBS Signature

Response to Ngadm: Round 1 Results 2009-12-27 14:07:11

OK great, I was worried for a sec there!

That was a close one...

BBS Signature

Response to Ngadm: Round 1 Results 2009-12-27 15:51:06

At 12/26/09 10:01 AM, Darklight17 wrote: Well, here you go. Pairings for round 2. Congrats to all those who passed. to all those who

didnt, hard luck guys, u did a damn fine job in my opinion. Besides there's always next year no?

Skela vs DjintheDark
SineRider vs xKore
Blackhole12 vs Box-Killa
Vanguard182 vs Kirbyfemur
Bjra vs Dragon Teenager
SessileNomad vs eatmeetleet
MH16 vs Osher
wtflolnoob vs <Opponenent still not determined>

Competition is getting tougher guys. Good luck to all of ya!

Darklight17

hehe ummm.... ill go up against wtfnoob i signed up for the first one but didn't make it in and i couldnt help but notice im not in the list

"I want to care but I just... don't" -Me

Need somewhere to host audio instantly?

BBS Signature

Response to Ngadm: Round 1 Results 2009-12-27 16:02:47

At 12/27/09 03:51 PM, krssvr wrote:
hehe ummm.... ill go up against wtfnoob i signed up for the first one but didn't make it in and i couldnt help but notice im not in the list

This is the list for the first group. You are in the second group :p

BBS Signature