Be a Supporter!

Newgrounds Android App

  • 6,239 Views
  • 14 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
djnet
djnet
  • Member since: Jun. 9, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Musician
Newgrounds Android App Dec. 23rd, 2009 @ 03:04 PM Reply

I'm Currently working on a Newgrounds andoid app and i want to get some input on how you the people of newgrounds would like the app to function, maybe simplified userpages, access to various animations ETC, maybe the ability to log in and vote.

So i ask, what does the NG community think, and should it be free when i am finished...I say yes, with maybe a donate button on it eh?

Newgrounds Android App

Jon-86
Jon-86
  • Member since: Jan. 30, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Android App Dec. 23rd, 2009 @ 03:39 PM Reply

Didnt they spend a good bit of time tailoring the browser in Android so it would actually be usable, when viewing normal web pages on the phone?

If you think an app would be better go for it. But I dont, watching animation on newgrounds is just as easy as watching a video on youtube when I got a shot of an iPhone a while ago.


PHP Main :: C++ Main :: Java Main :: Vorsprung durch Technik
irc.freenode.net #ngprogramming

BBS Signature
Jessii
Jessii
  • Member since: Feb. 10, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 36
Movie Buff
Response to Newgrounds Android App Dec. 23rd, 2009 @ 03:43 PM Reply

I'm possibly getting a Droid but wouldn't have much use for your app. As long as I can get my email and possibly a GPS app like the iPhone has for locating things (or traffic) that's free would be most helpful to me, especially because I never know where I'm going to end up when working with clients.

djnet
djnet
  • Member since: Jun. 9, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Musician
Response to Newgrounds Android App Dec. 23rd, 2009 @ 04:35 PM Reply

well there will also be a BBS part of the app for BBS Streams and what not

Jessii
Jessii
  • Member since: Feb. 10, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 36
Movie Buff
Response to Newgrounds Android App Dec. 23rd, 2009 @ 04:49 PM Reply

At 12/23/09 04:35 PM, djnet wrote: well there will also be a BBS part of the app for BBS Streams and what not

The question is: Does anyone care about NG enough to have a NG app? This forum is pretty dead most of the time and general isn't worth even looking at. So you have a lot of questions to ask before even spending the time developing the app. Sure it'd be good practice but maybe you should make something more practical and useful?

djnet
djnet
  • Member since: Jun. 9, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Musician
Response to Newgrounds Android App Dec. 23rd, 2009 @ 07:35 PM Reply

hmmm yeah i guess your right...it would be a nice fun app to have but i see your point...it wouldnt be widely popular i guess...at least i know not to venture forward with it.

Jessii
Jessii
  • Member since: Feb. 10, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 36
Movie Buff
Response to Newgrounds Android App Dec. 23rd, 2009 @ 07:36 PM Reply

At 12/23/09 07:35 PM, djnet wrote: hmmm yeah i guess your right...it would be a nice fun app to have but i see your point...it wouldnt be widely popular i guess...at least i know not to venture forward with it.

Yeah because who would you market it to and who actually has a smartphone? If you could make it compatible with most smartphones, it might be worth it.

TurtleHood
TurtleHood
  • Member since: Dec. 18, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Android App Dec. 23rd, 2009 @ 10:35 PM Reply

At 12/23/09 03:43 PM, Jessii wrote: As long as I can get my email and possibly a GPS app like the iPhone has for locating things (or traffic)

You can, at least on my G1 you can plus a lot more.

It would be weird app and wouldn't be practical. When I'm on the go or bored out of my mind and I want to browse on my G1 I usually play the FREE games I download, go on Myspace, and more frequently go to FML. I personally think people wouldn't care enough to come on Newgrounds on their phones.


I am online

BBS Signature
Asylum628
Asylum628
  • Member since: Oct. 27, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Android App Mar. 2nd, 2012 @ 07:22 AM Reply

I say go for it. I actually searched for a Newgrounds app on the android market hoping for one. I would love for it to be free, but I'd say I would pay 3-5 bucks for it. As for suggestions, perhaps add customizable touch controls, such as being able to add the WASD keys to the screen. Also if you could make it Xperia Play compatible that would be awesome!

Asylum628
Asylum628
  • Member since: Oct. 27, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Android App Mar. 2nd, 2012 @ 07:24 AM Reply

At 1 minute ago, Asylum628 wrote: I say go for it. I actually searched for a Newgrounds app on the android market hoping for one. I would love for it to be free, but I'd say I would pay 3-5 bucks for it. As for suggestions, perhaps add customizable touch controls, such as being able to add the WASD keys to the screen. Also if you could make it Xperia Play compatible that would be awesome!

Disregard this, I appear to have been one click away in my search for the app.

Banditcat
Banditcat
  • Member since: Jul. 12, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Android App Jul. 12th, 2012 @ 06:16 PM Reply

Where was the App? Is it free? Where where where!? ^_^

At 3/2/12 07:24 AM, Asylum628 wrote:

Disregard this, I appear to have been one click away in my search for the app.

Entice
Entice
  • Member since: Jun. 30, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Android App Jul. 14th, 2012 @ 12:52 PM Reply

A shame that this was never finished. Newgrounds is NOT easy to navigate on a mobile phone.

Sterance
Sterance
  • Member since: Jul. 24, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 23
Programmer
Response to Newgrounds Android App Aug. 9th, 2013 @ 05:56 PM Reply

At 7/14/12 12:52 PM, Entice wrote: A shame that this was never finished. Newgrounds is NOT easy to navigate on a mobile phone.

I have to bump this. Why is there still no official app? I can't play any games or do anything on the site other than posting or lurking.I get an error saying that my device is not supported for a game, but how do i know which games are supported? It would be nice to have an app that listed games or movies i can view on my device. Also an app that could emulate input or somehow allow me to view content would be tits. I'm not sure how possible any of this is, just putting it out there.

Also i love this forum even if it is slow :-)


Fear Popo Bawa!!!
John Goodman | ¥
while(<>){chomp;print;}

Gottaketchup
Gottaketchup
  • Member since: Mar. 8, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Programmer
Response to Newgrounds Android App Aug. 14th, 2013 @ 11:47 AM Reply

At 8/9/13 05:56 PM, Sterance wrote:
At 7/14/12 12:52 PM, Entice wrote: A shame that this was never finished. Newgrounds is NOT easy to navigate on a mobile phone.
I have to bump this. Why is there still no official app? I can't play any games or do anything on the site other than posting or lurking.I get an error saying that my device is not supported for a game, but how do i know which games are supported? It would be nice to have an app that listed games or movies i can view on my device. Also an app that could emulate input or somehow allow me to view content would be tits. I'm not sure how possible any of this is, just putting it out there.

Also i love this forum even if it is slow :-)

I feel the same, most of the negative feedback appears to have come form people who just didnt understand what smartphones and the android os was. They killed it without any knowledge of anything. Sad that people who dont know have that power. :/

WoogieNoogie
WoogieNoogie
  • Member since: Jun. 26, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Programmer
Response to Newgrounds Android App Aug. 14th, 2013 @ 12:02 PM Reply

There is a lot that goes into making an app like this, and a lot of what you would need is not publicly available. The only public API that Newgrounds has is user authentication. I don't know if they have any other API's, but they are not listed. Trying to get this kind of data via the web is not viable.

There's also the question of apps versus mobile web. This type of website would likely benefit better from developing a mobile version of the site, rather than forcing users to download an app. However, they have tried this in the past with the PSP version of the site - which likely didn't have enough traffic to make it important enough to continue.

Newgrounds is a site that people visit on computers, and less on smartphones and tablets, especially since the majority of the site is based in Flash. I'll agree that there are some fun things to think about on this topic, but I'm just not sure it would be used widely enough to be worth putting the effort into.