TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Updates, Volunteerism, etc... 2004-03-02 00:21:12 Reply

Sorry that my frontpage posts have been so sporadic... Alien Hominid development has become a lifestyle and I haven't had much else to talk about - and I can never say much about Alien Hominid because we like to keep so much under wraps. I will say that the end is in site, the game is AMAZING, and I can't wait to see it on the shelves. :)

I was curious, if NG ever had "volunteer days", how many people would be in the vicinity to join us? If we ever got people together, we could start with something as simple as trash picking (or "beautification", if that sounds nicer), then perhaps set a goal for some sort of largscale service project once we get organized. Do you have a serious interest in that sort of thing, and are you available in the Philly area? Let me know!

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
ShotInTheHead
ShotInTheHead
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to Updates, Volunteerism, etc... 2004-03-02 00:22:48 Reply

it would prolly work better if it was somethign internet based, like fixing an error or something (i know it sounds stupid) a few ppl might show up.

LadyGrace
LadyGrace
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Blank Slate
Response to Updates, Volunteerism, etc... 2004-03-02 00:23:03 Reply

Would love to help, but I'm no where near Philly!!!

BBS Signature
NeversayForever
NeversayForever
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Updates, Volunteerism, etc... 2004-03-02 00:26:00 Reply

I'm not in thenear area but I'd be willing to do a roadtrip for that kinda thing. It sounds like it would be pretty good and an all around kick ass idea.

mightypotato
mightypotato
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Updates, Volunteerism, etc... 2004-03-02 00:26:23 Reply

If you need some NG work in Southern Ontario Canada, I'm willing to help you out Tom. What about stuff on the site itself? Like having whistle mods or something.

I used to be a BBS mod, plzdontban kthxbai :D
Back on a semi-intermittent basis
Bacon vodka? It's more likely than you'd think!

BBS Signature
iscrulz
iscrulz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Movie Buff
Response to Updates, Volunteerism, etc... 2004-03-02 00:26:56 Reply

If I lived near philly I would volunteer. Just to meet teh admins.
Also volunteer is a good way to raise goodwill for the company.

£5 man slut for hire. Inquire within

Wi/Ht? #45

BBS Signature
Scrogginaut
Scrogginaut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Updates, Volunteerism, etc... 2004-03-02 00:34:21 Reply

i would help out,please let me Tom

BBS Signature
Sobi
Sobi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Updates, Volunteerism, etc... 2004-03-02 00:36:43 Reply

I am all for cleaning the environment but im in Canada so i cant.

bigbadron
bigbadron
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 39
Musician
Response to Updates, Volunteerism, etc... 2004-03-02 00:36:54 Reply

bend will do it...

as part of his community service.

Updates, Volunteerism, etc...

gltovar
gltovar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Game Developer
Response to Updates, Volunteerism, etc... 2004-03-02 00:38:51 Reply

Im pretty sure T that lots of people would love to help, but the people that would like to help wont live by you, but if you can manage to organize some kind of city by city thing that you assign people in certain cities to organize a clean up it might work better than u expected. You got my suppor in Chicago-ish, IL though...

-Louis

= Þ

lunchbxpat
lunchbxpat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Updates, Volunteerism, etc... 2004-03-02 00:48:09 Reply

well, i'm in the area when i'm not in school, which would be (obviously) summer and winter. lemme know whassup.

AnarchySchoolbus
AnarchySchoolbus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to Updates, Volunteerism, etc... 2004-03-02 00:48:31 Reply

I think if you got a bunch of NG users together the last thing thing on their mind would be volunteering to help with anything. They'd pick up trash for 5 minutes, say "Fuck this", smoke a blunt and go to the arcade. So when can we start?

Fat-Tommy-Black
Fat-Tommy-Black
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Updates, Volunteerism, etc... 2004-03-02 00:50:30 Reply

well..yea i would love 2....but..you know...its philly....i mean..jesus...thats like...well.. ok so im lazy and i dont want to pick up trash! but guilt would settle in and i would feel bad if i didetnt...but..uh...yea...sure! love too! mwahahahaha! contact me online! moo! god damn it! >.0

BaronVonBadGuy
BaronVonBadGuy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Melancholy
Response to Updates, Volunteerism, etc... 2004-03-02 00:52:20 Reply

At 3/2/04 12:48 AM, Artmartyr wrote: I think if you got a bunch of NG users together the last thing thing on their mind would be volunteering to help with anything. They'd pick up trash for 5 minutes, say "Fuck this", smoke a blunt and go to the arcade. So when can we start?

I'm there dude.

Even though I live in New Jersey!
I wish I knew people who go to this site alot, al my friends usually never go here!

Mike

Enoll
Enoll
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Writer
Response to Updates, Volunteerism, etc... 2004-03-02 00:56:29 Reply

shure.. I'd do that kinda stuff... but there aren't a whole lot of fellow NGers around my area...&Iim not even in the same country as Philly....

R.I.P LIVECORPSE

Jonas
Jonas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Artist
Response to Updates, Volunteerism, etc... 2004-03-02 00:57:12 Reply

How much would these volunteers get paid?

Need a hot dicking?
JonasATnewgrounds.com
I do voices.

Popeofdope
Popeofdope
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Blank Slate
Response to Updates, Volunteerism, etc... 2004-03-02 00:58:32 Reply

if for what ever reason you needed help from someone who lives in brittish comlumbia (where the premium shit is) i can help

i while back i e-mailed you about making a game, i know your to busy but atleast reject me

Updates, Volunteerism, etc...

NewgroundsSPG
NewgroundsSPG
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Updates, Volunteerism, etc... 2004-03-02 01:00:43 Reply

At 3/2/04 12:21 AM, TomFulp wrote: I was curious, if NG ever had "volunteer days", how many people would be in the vicinity to join us? If we ever got people together, we could start with something as simple as trash picking (or "beautification", if that sounds nicer), then perhaps set a goal for some sort of largscale service project once we get organized. Do you have a serious interest in that sort of thing, and are you available in the Philly area? Let me know!

Well what do ya know!?I live in the South Philly area and I will be more than happy to help you and Newgrounds out.If this helps give the site a better reputation,I'd be all for it..

BBS Signature
NewgroundsSPG
NewgroundsSPG
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Updates, Volunteerism, etc... 2004-03-02 01:03:03 Reply

At 3/2/04 01:00 AM, SouthPhillyGangsta wrote: Well what do ya know!?I live in the South Philly area and I will be more than happy to help you and Newgrounds out.If this helps give the site a better reputation,I'd be all for it..

Just IM me or Email me,cause either way I'm always on both.

BBS Signature
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Updates, Volunteerism, etc... 2004-03-02 01:09:30 Reply

I live in New York. I'd try and might possibly even bring a boyscout troop.

shade-v2
shade-v2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Updates, Volunteerism, etc... 2004-03-02 01:19:52 Reply

It's nice to see you considering the use of Newgrounds position in the world community to embetter society. But you shouldn't feel limited to the Philly area. While you, Tom, can help organize such a thing in your area, there are countless NG users who would rally similar things in their own neighborhoods - should NG call them out.

I think it's an excellent idea and you should also step back and consider the influence NG has in this: our "dorkish" youth counter culture. Many newgrounds users feel such a connection with this online community that they would be eager to band together in the name of a worthy cause(while flying the NG flag overhead.)

Once you've cleared some of your current projects off the desktop, you would do well to consider what you'd like to see happen in this country and on this planet. It's a unique position your in. The soapbox on which you stand is huge and allows your voice to be heard around the world. Many wish for what you have, few can attain it.

Consider: By setting up yearly or quarterly NG gatherings(expo / presentation style) and/or simply asking users to participate in NG "fill-in-the-blank" days, you can have a part in moving this little planet of ours.

You've literally built your own little Fight Club here....

...use it.

[We'll cross our fingers and hope it's for the better.]

SlowBro
SlowBro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Updates, Volunteerism, etc... 2004-03-02 01:26:00 Reply

Wow Tom's Text is the whitest and brightest of them all :)
you never gave any dates for when this would happen!
i can't wait for more info

Morphine-us
Morphine-us
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Updates, Volunteerism, etc... 2004-03-02 01:28:58 Reply

Well, coming from someone who has organized these events, I can tell you that you'll put in a lot of hard work with a smaller than expected turnout.

Keep in mind, a lot of the watchers of the site are too young to travel to philly on thier own, and the older ones have jobs or college. Limiting it to just the philly area will be harder for a turnout, but in the long run a lot easier to organize.

What I'd recommend is finding a charity already happening and having newgrounds as one of the sponsors. That way the charity will get free advertising from you, and you'll get advertising from them. As well you both will be able to combine your "people" for a larger turn out.

The other option is something like a "party" weekend. Set a weekend, more than likely at least the summer, and post what weekend, make up a list of hotels and an agenda for the whole weekend. You might have to put a limit on the number of people coming however, unless you plan on renting a gathering hall.

Have any questions let me know, I'm a partner in a production/event company. I'd be happy to help.

Morph
rotwinc_morph@yahoo.com

flashsky
flashsky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Updates, Volunteerism, etc... 2004-03-02 01:36:26 Reply

I think it's a great idea. I commend you, Tom, for setting a good example here on Newgrounds. Giving back to the community would be great for this site and the individuals who choose to volunteer. If I'm in the area, I will be sure to lend a hand.
It would be cool to see more Newgrounds activities held such as flash festivals or outings where the NG community could meet in person.

lacedvixen
lacedvixen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Updates, Volunteerism, etc... 2004-03-02 01:42:37 Reply

Tom,
I'd help out but i'm in Indiana..so no luck there.... how about a nationwide newgrounds thing... one day per month, all the NG users can go do something good locally in the name of NG! you could set something up on the site to organize a place for people to go, that sort of thing... I know it sounds like a lot to take on, but .. with hope and determination, anything can be acomplished.

Morextremist
Morextremist
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Blank Slate
Response to Updates, Volunteerism, etc... 2004-03-02 02:15:11 Reply

it doesn't seem like people here would be into doing the right thing....besides, why now? where was this fellowship when we really needed, to cope with the fact that pico2 is never coming out. Now we are but empty husks of men and bones...

BaronVonBadGuy
BaronVonBadGuy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Melancholy
Response to Updates, Volunteerism, etc... 2004-03-02 02:21:11 Reply

At 3/2/04 02:15 AM, Morextremist wrote: where was this fellowship when we really needed, to cope with the fact that pico2 is never coming out. Now we are but empty husks of men and bones...

Holly shit, I just thought they kept putting it on the back burner seeing as they are so busy!
Is it a fact there will be no Pcio 2?

Mike

llama
llama
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Updates, Volunteerism, etc... 2004-03-02 02:26:48 Reply

At 3/2/04 12:21 AM, TomFulp wrote:

I was curious, if NG ever had "volunteer days", how many people would be in the vicinity to join us? If we ever got people together, we could start with something as simple as trash picking (or "beautification", if that sounds nicer), then perhaps set a goal for some sort of largscale service project once we get organized. Do you have a serious interest in that sort of thing, and are you available in the Philly area? Let me know!

I think that's a great idea. Not only would it promote the site in a wholesome fashion, maybe drawing in larger crowds, it would just make Philly a nicer city to live in. Too bad I live in Vancouver :(. Would you and/or Wade be joining in the activities?

llama
llama
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Updates, Volunteerism, etc... 2004-03-02 02:30:38 Reply

At 3/2/04 12:48 AM, Artmartyr wrote: I think if you got a bunch of NG users together the last thing thing on their mind would be volunteering to help with anything. They'd pick up trash for 5 minutes, say "Fuck this", smoke a blunt and go to the arcade. So when can we start?

lmao. It's so true.

llama
llama
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Updates, Volunteerism, etc... 2004-03-02 02:32:00 Reply

And whatever happened to your idea to rent out a wearhouse as office space? How's that coming along?