Havegum
Havegum
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Gumbys Hideout 2014-07-14 16:36:45 Reply

I don't think I learnt much from this, it was more a mindless copy than a deliberate study, though I feel the way that the lines in the hole of the lute, the dark fold near her right shoulder, and the head aligns, makes it seem that there's a movement and direction to her right hand - as if she's actually plucking the strings.

Gumbys Hideout

BBS Signature
Havegum
Havegum
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Gumbys Hideout 2014-07-14 16:42:31 Reply

At 7/14/14 04:36 PM, Havegum wrote: I don't think I learnt much from this, it was more a mindless copy than a deliberate study, though I feel the way that the lines in the hole of the lute, the dark fold near her right shoulder, and the head aligns, makes it seem that there's a movement and direction to her right hand - as if she's actually plucking the strings.

Forgot to cite source: Hendrik ter Brugghen, Woman Playing the Lute
twoish hours

BBS Signature
Havegum
Havegum
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Gumbys Hideout 2014-07-15 09:43:33 Reply

trying to wrap my head around wrapping cubes around heads (heh)
"Blocked construction of the head" as George Bridgeman calls it.
I'm also trying to draw with my shoulder and arm instead of my wrist, so that's why some of the lines are a bit awkward ..

Lazy day, but hopefully I'll have time to do some more studies after moving to the new barracks!

Gumbys Hideout

BBS Signature
Havegum
Havegum
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Gumbys Hideout 2014-07-16 16:45:52 Reply

Boxes boxes boxes boxes.

I'm also trying to get into drawing with my elbow and shoulder, and not my wrist, which is why there's a bit of a drop in line quality. I'll get that sorted with some practice!

Gumbys Hideout

BBS Signature
Havegum
Havegum
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Gumbys Hideout 2014-07-17 17:03:26 Reply

Doing this box thing is so frustrating!
Big girl no ref tho, so I guess it's helping

Gumbys Hideout

BBS Signature
Havegum
Havegum
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Gumbys Hideout 2014-07-18 08:32:02 Reply

spooOOooky skeleton study

more to come

Gumbys Hideout

BBS Signature
Havegum
Havegum
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Gumbys Hideout 2014-07-18 22:03:12 Reply

At 7/18/14 08:32 AM, Havegum wrote:
more to come

Whoops, fell asleep!

Gumbys Hideout

BBS Signature
Havegum
Havegum
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Gumbys Hideout 2014-07-19 12:25:39 Reply

More

Gumbys Hideout

BBS Signature
Havegum
Havegum
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Gumbys Hideout 2014-07-19 18:03:39 Reply

Not too many faces today, but I don't think it's too bad considering I've also got a no ref portrait done (with its huge eyes and tiny shoulders).

Gumbys Hideout

BBS Signature
Havegum
Havegum
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Gumbys Hideout 2014-07-19 18:44:49 Reply

Also here's a master study of an untitled watercolour painting by David Roberts.
Time spent would be 2 1/2 hours ish.

The reason I chose this was because I liked the large contrasts and harmonic colours. When I first started the study I almost thought there were only a total of four colours in this piece, namely orange, brown, black, and blue. I quickly saw there were many slight variations of these, but mostly It's a mix of the named colours with a splash of extra orange and white added specifically on the main gate the boats are entering.

There is a rythmic quality to the gates placement. The idea of gates is that they're meant to pass through, and you can sort of "pass though" all the three gates in one sweep of the eye. This concept is further enforced by having boats sitting next to all the gates. There's also rythmic details in the gates themselves, like the back one with the choppy vertical lines, followed by the wavier pillars, and even the negative space inbetween.

In the bottom right corner there's some stones, which just as the boats and gates, comes in three levels, and they slope roughly the same way as the gates, and almost echoing the perspective of the giant wall. The stones also serves as a framing, both for literally the corner of the painting, but also in sense of depth. It marks the closest area so that we know where we're seeing this landscape from and get a clearer sense of space. Its highlights also point directly towards the wall, creating a contrast in direction.

In fact there's a lot of playing with direction here as well. Horizontal lines are long and bold on the right hand side, but shorter, more subtle on the left side. Conversively there are more and bolder vertical lines on the left side. This is what makes the directional contrast of the sail of the center boat so apparent.

However, by far the best thing is the dude donning three hats!

Gumbys Hideout

BBS Signature
ImaFreekozoid
ImaFreekozoid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Gumbys Hideout 2014-07-19 23:25:37 Reply

At 7/16/14 04:45 PM, Havegum wrote: Boxes boxes boxes boxes.

I'm also trying to get into drawing with my elbow and shoulder, and not my wrist, which is why there's a bit of a drop in line quality. I'll get that sorted with some practice!

Nice! Are you doing all your head/face gestures digital by the way? It's hard to tell, my digital lines don't usually look that natural.

BazookaBonsai
BazookaBonsai
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to Gumbys Hideout 2014-07-20 04:08:05 Reply

At 7/19/14 06:44 PM, Havegum wrote: Also here's a master study of an untitled watercolour painting by David Roberts.

Great study mate. You really captured the atmosphere of the original.

...I mean "Beep Boop!"

Havegum
Havegum
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Gumbys Hideout 2014-07-20 17:27:31 Reply

At 7/19/14 11:25 PM, ImaFreekozoid wrote: Nice! Are you doing all your head/face gestures digital by the way? It's hard to tell, my digital lines don't usually look that natural.

I do all of them digitally yeah, I never thought of my lines as clean, but thanks! I guess it's a combination of ctrl+z and confidence in drawing correct lines. I've also started practicing a steadier hand, so I'm filling a handful of A5 papers with straight lines in various directions as well as circles and ellipses. I made a small scrapbook out of cheap paper and a couple of staples, and to be honest it looks like the scribbles of an obsessed person ... Straight lines are hard!

At 7/20/14 04:08 AM, BazookaBonsai wrote: Great study mate. You really captured the atmosphere of the original.

Thanks! I don't know if I'm doing it properly though, I don't feel like I'm learning so much, but I guess it's nice to have an activity to come to every day.

I'm unconsciously phasing out face gestures. Some days I just think what's the point, you know? On the bright side I'm focusing the time freed on practicing perspective. I'm usually just going to a random place in google maps and trying to deconstruct the buildings. Maybe I'll scan those in later when they're not so shitty!

Here's todays faces (hardly any!) and a preview of a master study I'm 3-ish hours into so far:

Gumbys Hideout

BBS Signature
Havegum
Havegum
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Gumbys Hideout 2014-07-21 11:31:05 Reply

Oh boy here we go, details in next post

Gumbys Hideout

BBS Signature
Havegum
Havegum
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Gumbys Hideout 2014-07-21 11:58:17 Reply

There is a use of geometric shapes and repetition here. Obviously the structure in the background is a clear example of this, with its bold horizontal and vertical shapes. But there is also a triangle that goes from the top of the structure, and down towards the rock that the sculpture is standing on. This triangle shape is echoed in the rock itself. I feel this is more emphasized because the side of the building pointing towards the rock has a sloped roof, while the one on the other side has a pillar pointing upwards. The left side is also emphasized with a clearer contrast to the sky, lit up by the moon on one side, but downplayed on the other - it's showing what's important. There's also some symmetry to this with the far left sloped rooftop echoing that triangle, and leading the eye back to the sculpture.

The sculpture is also displayed with almost the highest value contrast to its background, contested only by the secondary focus, which effect is being negated because where the sculpture has plenty of negative space around him, the guy closest to the viewer is blending into the crowd in the background.

The people has their purpose though, you can tell every person put in here are looking like tired, sloppy blobs going about their everyday routine. The statue on the other hand is full of life, he's got a proper posture, and he is - in contrast to the other people, looking up. If you divide the picture into two parts, you can clearly see there's the regular people with the feet on the ground, and then you have this monument of a silhouette, leaping up towards the sky.

Gumbys Hideout

BBS Signature
Havegum
Havegum
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Gumbys Hideout 2014-07-21 12:03:44 Reply

At 7/21/14 11:58 AM, Havegum wrote: Probably missing the point completely

Vasily Surikov - Monument to Peter I
5~ hours more or less. Somewhat fragmented because I have to deal with clients and orders as they pop up while I'm at work.

BBS Signature
Havegum
Havegum
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Gumbys Hideout 2014-07-21 17:28:31 Reply

Started out as a digital painting of what's outside my window, but by the time I had noted the colours and made the most basic placements, the sun had shifted beneath the horizon, so I changed things about to practice composition while keeping the colour scheme.

Here's a picture for reference

Gumbys Hideout

BBS Signature
Havegum
Havegum
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Gumbys Hideout 2014-07-21 18:06:31 Reply

lllll

Gumbys Hideout

BBS Signature
Havegum
Havegum
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Gumbys Hideout 2014-07-22 17:51:44 Reply

It may seem pointless and unnecessary to upload these strips of faces, but it's a real help for me to make sure I don't slip and get blank days. I guess it's also fun to see process and development. For instance the box technique is getting some practice, and I can start to imagine the bounding boxes of faces. It's also relevant to the perspective practices I've been focusing on lately.

Gumbys Hideout

BBS Signature
Luwano
Luwano
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Art Lover
Response to Gumbys Hideout 2014-07-22 17:58:28 Reply

At 7/22/14 05:51 PM, Havegum wrote: It may seem pointless and unnecessary to upload these strips of faces

I hope you don't think so, because of the lack of feedback. I'm just lurking and enjoying your thread, but rarely have something useful to add. Keep it up.

BBS Signature
Havegum
Havegum
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Gumbys Hideout 2014-07-23 16:31:46 Reply

At 7/22/14 05:58 PM, Luwano wrote: I hope you don't think so, because of the lack of feedback. I'm just lurking and enjoying your thread, but rarely have something useful to add. Keep it up.

I'm glad you enjoy it! I think it's mostly due to how slight improvement goes unnoticed and therefore feels demotivating. I should focus more on enjoying what I draw right now, instead of comparing myself to others and frantically checking for improvement.

I guess it boils down to "Do what you like, like what you do" - I just gotta find a way to get more into studies on the days I'm not "feeling it" as much and when the prospect of improvement isn't a drive enough in itself.

Anyway here's a quick colour study of something I came across while browsing around. I thought it was beautiful, so I tried to jot down the colours quickly.
Original: "In the Fields" by Ivan Aivazovsky
45 minutes give or take.

The color choices might seem difficult to understand at first, but it's a clear example of how a gamut mask can work. The sky has a nice gradient going for it, I missed by quite a lot by having too much saturation. Anyway, analyzing the colors used, and making little palettes shows that pure reds and oranges are being used, while the rest is mixed down to earth tones. There are some turquoise greens mixed in with the shadows here and there, which creates a nice balance between the sky and ground which is otherwise divided in two by the red sea of crops and vivid orange sky.

Gumbys Hideout

BBS Signature
Havegum
Havegum
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Gumbys Hideout 2014-07-23 17:46:08 Reply

30 seconds nice and loose

Gumbys Hideout

BBS Signature
BazookaBonsai
BazookaBonsai
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to Gumbys Hideout 2014-07-23 17:50:31 Reply

At 7/23/14 04:31 PM, Havegum wrote:

:I think it's mostly due to how slight improvement goes unnoticed and therefore feels demotivating. I should focus more on enjoying what I draw right now, instead of comparing myself to others and frantically checking for improvement.

This so much!
I remember someone saying that "one should not compare himself to other artists, but take inspiration from artists they like" and to block out that voice that tells you "it's not worth it anyways".

On the bright side: rare feedback makes every single one all the more valuable :)

The study is great by the way.
Just one small thing I noticed: The coach does not seem to trow a shadow in your study.
That is not that important though since the focus was obviously the use of colors to create a moody sunset scene.
I hope to get around making some environment studies soon, too. You have any advice for a smooth start?

...I mean "Beep Boop!"

Havegum
Havegum
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Gumbys Hideout 2014-07-23 18:23:48 Reply

At 7/23/14 05:50 PM, BazookaBonsai wrote: I hope to get around making some environment studies soon, too. You have any advice for a smooth start?

Having a community to go to is definitely a big plus when it comes to motivation! Even if it's just having somewhere to upload studies for the sporadic feedback! And I guess I got too lost in the colours I forgot to try to understand why they were there!

As for landscape painting master studies, I honestly don't know. I've spent a bit of time reading up on art history in an attempt to find inspiring compositions. ConceptArt has a "Master study of the day" page - the ones they put up there are chosen for a reason, but I don't think there's much point in mindlessly copying whatever they put up there. I feel I need to find my own reason to my choices in master studies, so that I understand what I try to focus on. What I've done a few times is find a landscape painter from the suggested master studies, and then look through their works to see if anything pops out to me, so I suggest you do that. Local museums can also be a source of inspiration.

You can also of course try to draw en plein air, or googling known impressive landscapes. Recently, I've been using street view to find scenes to practice constructing in perspective, maybe you can try to find hillside roads in the alps, or in the savannas, or around the fjords, or anything you can think of!

BBS Signature
Havegum
Havegum
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Gumbys Hideout 2014-07-24 07:14:45 Reply

Claude Monet - The Cliffs at Etretat
Spent one or two hours on this.

Super fun to paint, I'm really happy with how it looks despite it not being completely faithful to the original - you may notice mine is significantly bluer, which is a result of not being brave enough with mixing warmer colours in there ... The shapes are very off, and I think if I adopted a better process from scratch, I'd probably get closer, but maybe I wouldn't get the same flow while working that way? I'll make a note to experiment more with that in the future.

One thing I noticed is the only colours that are super saturated are the oranges and blues. The green and magentas in the sky as well as the turquoise looks deceptively vibrant, but I think that's because they're bathed in less saturation surrounding them. Another thing is there's a bit of every colour everywhere. The rocks are painted in blue and orange and green and magenta, and so is the beach, the sky, and the water. I think this makes for a more coherent colour palette and makes it so that even though green doesn't "belong" in the sky, it sort of makes sense because it's everywhere else as well.

Fun study!

Gumbys Hideout

BBS Signature
Havegum
Havegum
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Gumbys Hideout 2014-07-24 17:56:55 Reply

Messy 30s faces.

Anyway I'm going to Tanzania for two weeks. I'll bring my sketchbook so hopefully I'll get plenty of drawing done then as well

Gumbys Hideout

BBS Signature
Havegum
Havegum
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Gumbys Hideout 2014-08-12 15:32:26 Reply

At 7/24/14 05:56 PM, Havegum wrote: Anyway I'm going to Tanzania for two weeks. I'll bring my sketchbook so hopefully I'll get plenty of drawing done then as well

Back! The vacation was great, and I'm super motivated to get back to the daily practice!

Here's Christian Krogh - Struggle for survival
One hour.

I think I got the most essential points down, though there are some fundamental errors.
For one I didn't pay enough attention to the colours used, and as a result mine lacks the colour contrast which makes the painting clearer. I notice how mine looks muddy in comparison. Another thing is the line of the feet aren't following the original at all, which flattens the image by quite a bit.

My favourite parts are the officer in the background and the blue boy to the left. Both add a lot to the composition although they might e overlooked on first glance

Gumbys Hideout

BBS Signature
Havegum
Havegum
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Gumbys Hideout 2014-08-12 16:01:41 Reply

Rusty rusty!

Gumbys Hideout