00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Zombiehit just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

24,026 Views | 277 Replies

Response to Avatar sucked. 2010-01-08 07:57:09

At 1/8/10 07:43 AM, naronic wrote:
At 1/8/10 07:36 AM, Auz wrote:
At 1/8/10 07:14 AM, naronic wrote: It racked in $352,114,898 bucks at the box office (breaking the Matrix record and falling just under Twilight) so really your opinion means less than you think.
Lol. As if how much money it made at the box office says ANYTHING about the quality of a movie :p I doubt you can actually come up with a less valid argument than that when it comes to discussing movies.
Lol
actually yes it does, you see- if the movie is BAD (gets bad ratings) not many ppl go to see it therefore it make LESS money
When a movie gets good ratings and gets on TIME'S BEST list then a lot of ppl want to see it

I don't know if you have seen the entire top box office list, but there are a crapload of movies in there with terrible ratings and reviews ;) But since they had fancy trailers or got hyped a lot in the media they attracted loads of visitors anyway.

Plus about 90% of the movies in there are made in the last 20 years or so, because it was nearly impossible for a movie to make $200,000,000 in the 70's and before.

Therefore the top box office list says jackshit about the quality of movies.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to Avatar sucked. 2010-01-08 08:10:37

At 1/8/10 07:14 AM, naronic wrote: (breaking the Matrix record and falling just under Twilight)

You just nullified your own argument.

Saying that the quality of a film is linnearly related to its box office sales is incorrect.

By your logic, Twilight was better than Avatar, which is false.

You can stop trolling now.

От каждого по способностям, каждому по потребностям

BBS Signature

Response to Avatar sucked. 2010-01-08 08:12:52

By your logic, Twilight was better than Avatar, which is false.

damn straight

...This is indeed a disturbing universe... O_o

Response to Avatar sucked. 2010-01-11 00:24:40

http://www.imdb.com/boxoffice/alltimegro ss?region=world-wide

This movie is a beast. It is now the second highest grossing film of all time. Granted tickets cost more this time around, but that is still impressive. James Cameron holds the first two spots, number one being Titanic.

Response to Avatar sucked. 2010-01-11 00:29:06

I heard that the movie was like 3 hours long. Way too long for me, most likely could take out at least an hour of it too, like with most long movies.

But like others I've seen, I'm more concerned about the Live-action Avatar: The Last Airbender movie.

This signature is lacking in beef.

Response to Avatar sucked. 2010-01-11 00:39:51

At 12/18/09 07:53 AM, Frank wrote: THANKS FOR DERAILING THE THREAD GUYS.

back on topic, the movie's dialogue is laughably cliche. My friend pointed this out.

"Side Note: It really bothered me at the beginning of the film when Sergeant BadGuy tells a room of fresh meat, "You're not in Kansas anymore." In the year Avatar, do they really know what the Wizard of Oz is? Has it somehow become a seminal piece of human legacy that has been passed down and ceaseless quoted by members of the far future? Is James Cameron trying to tell me that, in Avatar's future, they have the ability to create giant robot suits and control manufactured sentient beings, but haven't made a movie more memorable than the Wizard of Goddamn Oz? If you ask me, that was a poorly written line of dialogue, Jamesy. "

Yes, it was not the best James Cameron could've done, but it was okay. Also, just a random comment, I noticed when he did his logs, the date said something like the year 2145, or something like that. ;)

N-Studios.com........Coming Soon! OH YEAH!!!

BBS Signature

Response to Avatar sucked. 2010-01-11 01:47:41

We don't really care about stats and money, we are selfish and only think of our own opinions.

In short...

Avatar for me was a passable film, hyper-previsible but still possibly enjoyable (nice animation and action, boom boom) and the graphics where just banana awesome.

Thought the romance part is horrible because it is a furry story overhauled.
1:Omg I have a problem in life (no legs/no social skills)
2:Here's a solution ! (avatar/using another caracther)
3:Romance time! (obviously)
4: I believe I am my caracther (RL furry / Lol soul transfer)

Stil this is my opinion only and no one should care, no ?

note ; I do hate them.

Free non-professional Psychoanalysis in my profile.

Convenient link to my profile!

Response to Avatar sucked. 2010-01-19 17:25:48

At 1/8/10 07:43 AM, naronic wrote: actually yes it does, you see- if the movie is BAD (gets bad ratings) not many ppl go to see it therefore it make LESS money

You don't understand how the movie industry works. Transformers 2 was one of the worst rated films of 2009, yet ended up being one of the highest grossers.

When a movie gets good ratings and gets on TIME'S BEST list then a lot of ppl want to see it

Wrong. The highest critically acclaimed films are independent, arthouse, and foreign films. These movies don't make any money.

You have it backwards, you're a fucking idiot.

Response to Avatar sucked. 2010-01-19 17:27:02

Nothing but hyperactive smurfs protecting their homeland against us like the primitive tribesmen they are.

Join chat | In Obscurity Forever.| Least noticed user '13? Vote for me!

Sig by Me.

BBS Signature

Response to Avatar sucked. 2010-01-19 17:44:38

This movie itself wasn't that good. The whole storyline was very predictable, but the special effects were really good. I do agree, that District 9 was a way better movie. Hopefully I won't have to wait too long for District 10.

Upcomming movies that should be seen are: The Book Of Eli, Legion, and From Paris With Love. I am not guaranteeing that they will all be to ones liking though.

There are 10 people in the world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Response to Avatar sucked. 2010-01-19 18:31:10

At 1/19/10 05:44 PM, KillerKop10 wrote: Upcomming movies that should be seen are: The Book Of Eli

No. The Road already came out a few months ago and is a million times better.

Response to Avatar sucked. 2010-01-19 18:52:48

Did anyone else think this movie was going to be based on the Nick cartoon?

Response to Avatar sucked. 2010-01-19 19:04:01

At 1/19/10 06:52 PM, ngman7 wrote: Did anyone else think this movie was going to be based on the Nick cartoon?

Yeah, there were in fact a lot of people who thought that. There is in fact, a live-action Avatar: The Last Airbender movie coming up next year. I heard the producers at Nickelodeon actually considering sueing the creators of "Avatar" but simply couldn't. I think they have even renamed the movie to "The Last Airbender" to avoid confusion.

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

Response to Avatar sucked. 2010-01-19 19:08:46

suck it motherfuckers

rating hasn't changed in the last 4 months

BBS Signature

Response to Avatar sucked. 2010-01-19 19:12:20

At 1/19/10 07:04 PM, Ericho wrote:
At 1/19/10 06:52 PM, ngman7 wrote: Did anyone else think this movie was going to be based on the Nick cartoon?
Yeah, there were in fact a lot of people who thought that. There is in fact, a live-action Avatar: The Last Airbender movie coming up next year.

Who are they getting to play the kid?

Response to Avatar sucked. 2010-01-26 20:55:03

McDonald's sells the most hamburgers but they are crap. Yet with your logic, and the logic of the Avatard or Avatar fan, you celebrate crap because its popular. You don't care that the hamburger is responsible for deforestation using slash and burn farming (rather than sustainable rotation), you don't care the ingredients are unsuitable for human consumption. You like the taste and the price. You are a feral prole seeking self pleasure. You want your BREAD and CIRCUS. Doesn't matter if its good, bad, moral, amoral, toxic or not, you don't give a hoot. You want to pleasure your brain.

You are celebrating the success of foisting corporatist crap on the public, charging a premium for it and all through a movie that tries to communicate that corporatism is morally reprehensible.

All this demonstrates:

1) People are generally stupid. And given how stupid the median intelligence is, and half the people are dumber than that.

2) Crap outsells quality. That is why all the plastic crap in Walmart is made in China. People are just too stupid to pay for or care for quality. I can PROVE the toxicity of phthalates, alkylphenols, bisphenol A (BPA), PBDEs, PCBs, PAHs, diglycidyl ether, PFCs and leeching formaldehydes. I can PROVE it. And I can show you that phthalates, alkylphenols, bisphenol A (BPA), PBDEs, PCBs, PAHs, diglycidyl ether, PFCs leech from cheaply made products and poison you. Yet you keep buying the stuff up.

3) A misguided notion that volume sales are a sign of success. So when a certain drug company sells things like thalidomide or Viox at record sales levels yet its later shown this trash is toxic and causes heart attacks and birth defects, you would celebrate the commercial success?

This movie allows idiots, dolts, dullards, mentally deficient persons, addleheads, pinheads, dimwits, dodos, blockheads, boneheads, dopes, nincompoops, dummies, microcephalics, coelenterates, ninnies, nitwits, numbskulls, twits, momos, morons, imbeciles, cretins, dunces, fools, ignoramuses, retards and the feeble minded to mentally masturbate, to enjoy the BREAD and CIRCUS.

This movie has the following traps that have lead people who like this movie (Avatards) down a pathetic path.

1) Escapism. Because reality is unbearable for these morons.
2) Justification. If you feel food about this movie you can't be "wrong." It allows you to continue to live at standards of living that are not justified by your intelligence level or value to humanity and justify it all because of how you feel.
3) Allowing one's already weakened mind to be further perverted by utterly simplistic and childish renditions of scenarios that are some of the worst material for parables and demonstrations of societal mores.
4) Lust. Celebrating the sexual predation of an interloper with a primitive noble savage while said savage is going through vulnerable circumstances.
5) Gluttony. You stuff your fat faces with toxic popcorn (oils in popcorn when heated are very toxic), and artificially flavored candies while you enjoy your BREAD and CIRCUS.
6) Extravagance. The pomp and flair of this spectacle and the ridiculous budget that could have been better used to allow tens or more directors a shot at making better films is simply extravagant all channeled through a man with 5 ex wives and a huge helping of hubris.
7) Greed. The greedy nature of James Cameron and his pseudo intellectual movie that portrays greed as evil yet this very vehicle, the movie itself, was fostered out of greed and the love of money.
8) Apathetic listlessness. Those misanthropes who fester in melancholy use this bread and circus to further justify their acediac dispositions and behaviors. None of those who watched the movie actually believe in true meritocracy, libertarianism or self determination. They live in and actively produce a society which is antagonistic towards liberty and self determination through the creation of an authoritarian and autocratic state. Cameron uses the deep seated rage against INGSOC and the oligarchies controlling everything from cradle to grave to keep your morons to buy tickets and love it all the while making a billionaire richer.
9) Despair. This movie allows the festering in sadness and despair to not do something about it, but to gather for bread and cirus to make the promoter rich while ignoring endemic issue on the society they are pretending to rail against.
10) Again, another sedentary activity for the fat idiot moviegoer. The average Avatard ate a daily allowance of food whilst doing nothing for three hours. Then the same corpulent cowboy for freedom and justice uses his sausage fingers to type praise for this piece of trash on various forums.
11) Embracing rage. This movie depicts a an who is coursing with anger, rage and wrath. He lead the noble savages poorly and every executive decision he made was poor resulting in many deaths. It took divine intervention to swing the tides of war. Yet the protagonist is enjoyed as a hero. His rage, anger and wrath was satanic and nearly cost the noble savages everything.
12) Envy. The protagonist was green with envy over the noble savages carefree lifestyle and uncrippled/superior bodies. Not only would he be able to walk, he would be superhuman. This protagonist was no uber mensch. His Envy lead him to betray his own people, potentially dooming millions/billions to loss of life without obtaining the needed fuel to survive all to sate his envy.
13) Pride. This protagonist, despite being a disastrous executive, smiles ear to ear after "his victory." Yet in the scenes depicted it was divine intervention that saved the noble savages, not the protagonist. Yet as he participates in the rounding of the people he betrayed in a very fascistic manner he grins ear to ear with pride. He is not only full of pride but also of great vanity. He was the opposite of humble.

Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions - everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things:

bread and circuses

(Juvenal, Satire 10.77-81) (c. 150AD)

Response to Avatar sucked. 2010-01-26 22:27:05

I really enjoyed avatar i booked a ticket for a 3D screening on the night it came out, I thought that the animation was excellent and I enjoyed the overall storyline and the fact that it covers my favourite genres. The action scenes were great and it also had a bit of comedy thrown in and I'd say that it probably was the best film that I saw last year.

Response to Avatar sucked. 2010-01-26 22:27:56

T2 is better, but it was well done. Not long enough to tell a good story though. I hope there's a director's cut.

Response to Avatar sucked. 2010-02-18 00:05:02

Seen this?

Response to Avatar sucked. 2010-02-18 02:05:16

Good graphics and that's about it. The plot is extremely unoriginal and used in manyt different movies, some being Fern Gully (storyline and how the grass lights up when they step on it), Pocahontis (Storyline), Dances with Wolves (Storyline)... and hell they even took some ideas from the Matrix (what with linking to the avatar and all)

This movie will probably be remembered for it's breakthrough in realistic CG, but other than that, it's just another movie.

Response to Avatar sucked. 2010-02-18 02:15:49

Yes, and Cameron might get Director of the year award again and yell "I'm the King of Pandora!!!"

Response to Avatar sucked. 2010-02-18 04:26:38

I don't get why everyone liked this movie, the whole plot was riddled with cheesiness and unoriginal propaganda. Like the graphics were cool and all but unlike what Hollywood thinks; graphics don't make a movie..

Emote mod. Contact me for emote moderation.

BBS Signature

Response to Avatar sucked. 2010-02-18 04:57:13

I enjoyed it , and all its 3-D action and glory !

BBS Signature

Response to Avatar sucked. 2010-02-18 11:12:58

"Avatar" has now become the most watched movie of all time, surpassing "Titanic" so it is really bad when the most watched movie of all time is a terrible one. As for me, I didn't think it was my favorite of the year, but it was very good and what it lacked in dialogue, it made up for in flawless special effects and really creative ideas.

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

Response to Avatar sucked. 2010-02-18 12:16:08

Avatar was a very mediocre movie. The special effects were very nice, of course, but that's just eye candy. The dialogue was wooden and awkward, the characters were generic and poorly devoloped, and the plot was cliched as hell. I find it ironic that the point of the movie was to be anti-imperialist/anti-rascist, when in fact it was very racist: the main character goes from knowing nothing about the tribe to being the leader of all the tribes in the course of about a month, suggesting that the best native is a white person gone native. And if the film had an environmentalist message, it got lost in all the New Age bullshit it was spewing. I laughed when the movie expected me to believe natives with bows and arrows could beat soldiers with machine guns, bombs, and mechanized armor. It was basically just Pocahontas with aliens. Avatar wasn't terrible, but it was far from great. If you want to see a movie about opressed aliens, watch District 9 - it's 100 times better.

Response to Avatar sucked. 2010-02-18 14:34:44

At 2/18/10 04:57 AM, PuRpLe-KusH wrote: I enjoyed it , and all its 3-D action and glory !

yeah it was ok but as others may have said it was so-so, but hey it had some nice effects

~X~

~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)

[] The Top Reviewer Since 2002 [] COMIC >> WAYNES WORLD

BBS Signature

Response to Avatar sucked. 2010-02-18 14:56:51

It can't suck! It was in 3D! unlike anything else in conceptual physical reality!

Youtube MySpace Facebook Guitarist, audio engineer, programmer, songwriter and voice actor. Need any of those? Message me. I enjoy collabing! <3

Response to Avatar sucked. 2010-02-18 16:06:44

My review:

Avatar was mediocre. That's it. It had breathtaking visuals, but that was the end of it. I don't mind people having opinions, that's fine. Have your opinions. Mine are different, and I can live with that.

What I can't stand is people calling the plot of the film original. That's just not true. Original was District 9. Avatar was the same recycled plot we've seen a million times, painted a different color, and painted using very expensive paints the likes of which no painter has ever used before.

I know the old examples are getting tired, but, it really is just Dances With Wolves and Pocahontas. There's no doubt about it.

And spare me the "good" acting. Sam Worthington (Jake Sulley) was flat and unbelievable. Sigourney Weaver was ok, but only because she is a veteran actress. She's done it a million times before. Other than her, no one in the film was good at acting.

I'm not going to bash a movie for being a stupid, cheesy, CG driven pile o' shit, because I've enjoyed movies like that. I liked the first Transformers movie, for example. It's just stupid piles of entertainment, and I was entertained; but the reason it worked was because it wasn't trying to be some big Oscar winning cacophony. It wanted to be entertaining, and it was.

Avatar, however, is aiming directly into the hearts of the Academy, with nothing new, interesting, or believable into the mix. Oscar nominated movies should be movies that are original and captivating, and Avatar was neither. It lacked everything an Oscar winning movie should have.

At 12/19/09 03:03 AM, SessileNomad wrote: if you can think of a better movie, let me know, so i can have a laugh

A Clockwork Orange, Children of Men, Serenity, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, The Day The Earth Stood Still (the original, not the POS one with Keanu).

"Jayne, your mouth's talking. Might want to see to that." /Ask Me Shit\

BBS Signature

Response to Avatar sucked. 2010-02-18 16:19:48

I liked it. It was mostly explosions, but that's what movies are all about nowadays.

brb ninjas surrounding house

BBS Signature

Response to Avatar sucked. 2010-02-18 16:27:04

At 2/18/10 04:06 PM, TheBigLemon wrote: Original was District 9.

My beef is with this sentence. District 9 wasn't really original, it was your standard story about segregation, with the Lucas-esque twist of replacing black people with aliens. Not saying it was a bad movie, it was terrific. My point is that you use District 9 as an example, when Avatar did basically the same thing: took an already used plot and put aliens in it.

Both were good movies in my opinion. District 9 was probably better, but Avatar was good too. Not my favourite, by a long way, but very good.

BBS Signature