New Topic Respond to this Topic
Dekuboy
Dekuboy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Have The Bbs's Topics... 2009-12-17 18:10:44 Reply

..gotten more interesting from early '09/'08?

I've just returned to Newgrounds after a very long hiatus, and I must say that the quality of topics have seemed to improve a tad. At least, there seems to be more that aren't a complete waste of time.

I may be incorrect, or perhaps I've stumbled upon a good time of the day, but the BBS just seems.. a little different. I like it. Perhaps they have stayed consistently the same, maybe I've just been gone for too long.

Regardless of my thoughts, what are everyone's thoughts on the quality of topics from early 2007 to nearly 2010? Or since the beginning of the BBS to 2010?

Have they stayed the same, declined, or improved as Newgrounds has grown older?

Granted you still get shit, but meh. Share your thoughts.

I'd love to hear from you. :3 | E-Mail: evansweeney@gmx.com | AIM: EvantheDeku | Oh dear, Dekuboy is back..

BBS Signature
Skwurll
Skwurll
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Gamer
Response to Have The Bbs's Topics... 2009-12-17 18:12:09 Reply

I think they're the same, if not a teensy bit better.

The redesign happened, now my signature doesn't match anymore.

BBS Signature
36Holla
36Holla
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Filmmaker
Response to Have The Bbs's Topics... 2009-12-17 18:14:51 Reply

At 12/17/09 06:10 PM, Dekuboy wrote: ..gotten more interesting from early '09/'08?

I've just returned to Newgrounds after a very long hiatus, and I must say that the quality of topics have seemed to improve a tad. At least, there seems to be more that aren't a complete waste of time.

It's what happens when you're gone for a long time. You get sick of how things are going so you leave. When you come back, a lot of the reasons why you left in the first place aren't immediately apparent to you and everything seems fresh and new again, just like when you first started posting on the BBS. Stay long enough and things will go back to the way they used to be. The topics haven't changed, just your perception of them.

Sig by THEJamoke Contributor to PONIES: The Anthology 2 and Anthology 3 Go watch them now!

BBS Signature
DumbassDude
DumbassDude
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Voice Actor
Response to Have The Bbs's Topics... 2009-12-17 18:15:51 Reply

Davidzx was deleted.

BBS Signature
Dekuboy
Dekuboy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Have The Bbs's Topics... 2009-12-17 18:17:44 Reply

At 12/17/09 06:14 PM, 36Holla wrote: It's what happens when you're gone for a long time. You get sick of how things are going so you leave. When you come back, a lot of the reasons why you left in the first place aren't immediately apparent to you and everything seems fresh and new again, just like when you first started posting on the BBS. Stay long enough and things will go back to the way they used to be. The topics haven't changed, just your perception of them.

Yeah I hear you.. being away that long, I've forgotten quite what the BBS was like. I'm glad to be back, regardless.

I'd love to hear from you. :3 | E-Mail: evansweeney@gmx.com | AIM: EvantheDeku | Oh dear, Dekuboy is back..

BBS Signature
robotking98
robotking98
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Gamer
Response to Have The Bbs's Topics... 2009-12-17 18:22:20 Reply

Wasn't around in 07, but from the time I've been here to now, it seems they've gotten worse.

Seriously, who even reads these things anymore?

BBS Signature
Rallard
Rallard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Have The Bbs's Topics... 2009-12-17 18:30:38 Reply

I haven't read a fake story in quite some time, and those used to bug me a lot back in the day.

You know, the ones where it'd be interesting up until the Fresh Prince lyrics at the very end, at which point you'd realize it was all BS.

So I'd say yes.

Dekuboy
Dekuboy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Have The Bbs's Topics... 2009-12-17 19:04:28 Reply

At 12/17/09 06:30 PM, Rallard wrote: I haven't read a fake story in quite some time, and those used to bug me a lot back in the day.

You know, the ones where it'd be interesting up until the Fresh Prince lyrics at the very end, at which point you'd realize it was all BS.

So I'd say yes.

Hmm yes, I have noticed that. Although they always had sort of a Newgrounds-like charm...

Hmm.......

BBS Signature
NEVR
NEVR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to Have The Bbs's Topics... 2009-12-17 19:09:38 Reply

Personally I think there's less room for discussion these days in a lot of threads... but maybe that's just me. I find it difficult to actually find threads that I can be bothered to post in most of the time. Unless I'm in the mood for BBSing.

BBS Signature
JKMonkey
JKMonkey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Art Lover
Response to Have The Bbs's Topics... 2009-12-17 19:11:59 Reply

Not really, its all personal junk and old news.

and photoshop threads

|"My dick was in the Guinness Boom of World Records... Then I left the library.|

BBS Signature
evan210
evan210
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Have The Bbs's Topics... 2009-12-17 19:13:20 Reply

IMO, i think today there was a goldmine t of great threads.

• Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Have The Bbs's Topics... 2009-12-17 19:14:47 Reply

At 12/17/09 07:11 PM, JKMonkey wrote: Not really, its all personal junk and old news.

and photoshop threads

photoshop threads are the shit

and yes... i have been here before 07'
never thought 2 shits about this place to care o.o
bad decision :3

Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.

BBS Signature
deathofghosts
deathofghosts
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Have The Bbs's Topics... 2009-12-17 19:36:00 Reply

did you miss the sirtom indecent???

but to answer your question ill say yes

i would say some people have grown into better topic starters

ME on Youtube! 20/20 subscribers!!!
My flash games and movies!
Huzzah!

BBS Signature
dx5231
dx5231
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Musician
Response to Have The Bbs's Topics... 2009-12-17 19:42:21 Reply

In my opinion, the BBS is getting shittier every day.

BBS Signature
InsertFunnyUserName
InsertFunnyUserName
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Melancholy
Response to Have The Bbs's Topics... 2009-12-17 19:54:30 Reply

At 12/17/09 07:09 PM, NEVR wrote: Personally I think there's less room for discussion these days in a lot of threads... but maybe that's just me. I find it difficult to actually find threads that I can be bothered to post in most of the time. Unless I'm in the mood for BBSing.

I also find myself having nothing to reply with to a lot of the threads that come in. But, I don't necessarily think that that is due to a change in the quality of the topics being posted, but rather a shift in my posting style. Usually, if I don't have at least three or four sentences to say about a topic, I won't post, whereas a year and a half ago, I was posting whenever a thought swept through my mind. As far as I see it, it's mostly just a perception shift.

At 12/17/09 07:42 PM, dx5231 wrote: In my opinion, the BBS is getting shittier every day.

During the three and a half year period that I've been on this site, I can't honestly say that I think that the threads have gotten any better or any worse. I mean, I used to laugh a lot more at the posts back in 07, but I was also a lot more immature back then. Many of the things that were funny to me when I was 12/13 are barely amusing to me now and I think that's what happened with a lot of the content.

[quote]

whoa art what

BBS Signature
All-American-Badass
All-American-Badass
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to Have The Bbs's Topics... 2009-12-17 20:08:58 Reply

I think the topics of late '06 to early '08 were the most interesting topics. since then i struggle to find a topic who's title catches my interest.

NEVR
NEVR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to Have The Bbs's Topics... 2009-12-17 20:21:21 Reply

At 12/17/09 07:54 PM, InsertFunnyUserName wrote: I also find myself having nothing to reply with to a lot of the threads that come in. But, I don't necessarily think that that is due to a change in the quality of the topics being posted, but rather a shift in my posting style. Usually, if I don't have at least three or four sentences to say about a topic, I won't post, whereas a year and a half ago, I was posting whenever a thought swept through my mind. As far as I see it, it's mostly just a perception shift.

That's interesting, because I'd say I'm pretty much the opposite in that respect...

During 2008, I'd say that my posting was much more in-depth in the respect that I usually attempted to add interesting or different perspectives to most of the threads I posted in, and at that point I was posting a lot... probably the most I've ever posted during a single year on Newgrounds.

This year it's been a slightly different story: I've been writing less in-depth posts, and posting less often. I find it difficult to engage with a lot of the stuff posted here, perhaps because I'm getting older? Who knows.

I'm not saying that the threads here definitely ARE getting worse (although I have considered that possibilty on numerous occasions), just that I'm finding less common ground with the larger NG community.

BBS Signature
Dekuboy
Dekuboy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Have The Bbs's Topics... 2009-12-17 21:15:13 Reply

I suppose that whether or not I write in--depth replies is depenI have something to say about a serious topic, I could go on forever.

Generally, however, I try to give out a few sentences that gives my main point across. (Or at least attempts to)

BBS Signature
InsertFunnyUserName
InsertFunnyUserName
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Melancholy
Response to Have The Bbs's Topics... 2009-12-17 21:27:38 Reply

At 12/17/09 08:21 PM, NEVR wrote: That's interesting, because I'd say I'm pretty much the opposite in that respect...

During 2008, I'd say that my posting was much more in-depth in the respect that I usually attempted to add interesting or different perspectives to most of the threads I posted in, and at that point I was posting a lot... probably the most I've ever posted during a single year on Newgrounds.

2008 was for me, as well, the year that I posted the most. I must have accumulated at least over 8000 posts in that year alone. It is possible that the threads were more engaging back then and that I could have found myself to be able to post more serious, quality posts back then than I am today (but I didn't because I was younger and didn't really the attention span to type out long posts). Or maybe it is just a matter of perspective and the two of us had different mindsets/attitudes around threads and posting at different times.

I'm not saying that the threads here definitely ARE getting worse (although I have considered that possibilty on numerous occasions), just that I'm finding less common ground with the larger NG community.

I'm still able to enjoy myself on these forums, so as far as I see it, if it has gotten worse (which I still insist that it really hasn't that much), it isn't to as enormous of a degree as some other users point it out as being.

[quote]

whoa art what

BBS Signature
gdog163
gdog163
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Have The Bbs's Topics... 2009-12-17 22:16:52 Reply

Same thing happened with me D:<

"Inset quote here" - Some guys name

BBS Signature
Kwing
Kwing
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Game Developer
Response to Have The Bbs's Topics... 2009-12-17 22:26:54 Reply

"Rape her" is a bannable offense.
"Cool story bro" posts get deleted more often.
"Grab her cock" is becoming less common.

I'd say it's improving. Either the users or the mods.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.
Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

MultiCanimefan
MultiCanimefan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Have The Bbs's Topics... 2009-12-17 22:37:58 Reply

Seems to me that whenever a new posting rule is put in effect, such as certain lines and phrases being bannable offenses, that actually improves the BBS, people bitch about having their freedoms taken away and the word "Fun Nazi" becomes a staple in BBS vernacular, especially among users who tend to complain about the place being less fun now than it used to be back in the day.

EJR
EJR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Animator
Response to Have The Bbs's Topics... 2009-12-17 22:53:09 Reply

At 12/17/09 09:27 PM, InsertFunnyUserName wrote: I'm still able to enjoy myself on these forums, so as far as I see it, if it has gotten worse (which I still insist that it really hasn't that much), it isn't to as enormous of a degree as some other users point it out as being.

I often find myself bored of these forums a lot, but if I'm away from them for more than a couple of days (on requested bans or something) I miss them more, and eventually get bored of them again even without posting in the threads I wanted to post in while I was banned.

:C

FattyWhale
FattyWhale
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Melancholy
Response to Have The Bbs's Topics... 2009-12-17 22:56:02 Reply

I like to think of the quality of the BBS as a sine wave.

[1] [2] [3] [4] [5]
:3

BBS Signature
Dekuboy
Dekuboy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Have The Bbs's Topics... 2009-12-17 23:27:24 Reply

At 12/17/09 10:56 PM, milinko959 wrote: I like to think of the quality of the BBS as a sine wave.

Wow, that's a pretty unique way to put it. I like it.

Although I'd say it's a bit more consistent than that, generally speaking.

BBS Signature
NikeThanatos
NikeThanatos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Have The Bbs's Topics... 2009-12-17 23:59:19 Reply

No, the BBS sucks now compared to 'the old days'.

Nehmen Ziel! Feuer Frei!

BBS Signature
Craptaco
Craptaco
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Gamer
Response to Have The Bbs's Topics... 2009-12-18 00:00:06 Reply

Videogames forum...is empty

I have no idea...anyway
Prypiat Rulez!

BBS Signature
Dekuboy
Dekuboy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Have The Bbs's Topics... 2009-12-18 00:05:28 Reply

At 12/18/09 12:03 AM, FrozenTop wrote: Newgrounds may also be losing the sharp that strongly defined it back in 2004 and 2005.

I consider 2004 and 2005 to be the golden years of Flash animation and games on the web. There was nothing quite like it.

To this day, those two years remain my favorite in terms of animation and online browsing.

BBS Signature
Drake
Drake
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Audiophile
Response to Have The Bbs's Topics... 2009-12-18 00:12:46 Reply

At 12/18/09 12:00 AM, Craptaco wrote: Videogames forum...is empty

All the gamers are sleeping or kicking ass on video games right now, then.

The quality has improved some, but there are moments where there aren't good threads. I have seen some pretty shitty threads that don't get locked until some time after they're made, though.

Or it's just me, but I do see them a lot.

ceb @ twitter | Jerkcity, est. 1998 | Tateos is a cool guy.

BBS Signature
cheesebizkit
cheesebizkit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Have The Bbs's Topics... 2009-12-18 00:39:33 Reply

its because I haven't been around again til now

BBS Signature