which should i get?

LtXenodite
LtXenodite
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to 3D ANIMATION Mar. 1st, 2004 @ 10:39 AM Reply

Probably the best are 3D Studio Max (latest version, I think current is 5) and Maya 5 (or later). You could search for them on Google to find out their manufacturers and check the price. They're very, very expensive, though. My copy of 3DS Max cost like $500 US, and I find it is quite useful. My friend uses 3DS Max for his design firm's site and created a 3D crystal.

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 50
Writer
Response to 3D ANIMATION Mar. 1st, 2004 @ 02:38 PM Reply

swish.I cant think of anything better then that.

binaryflow
binaryflow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Programmer
Response to 3D ANIMATION Mar. 1st, 2004 @ 02:52 PM Reply

At 3/1/04 10:39 AM, Xenodite wrote: My copy of 3DS Max cost like $500 US, and I find it is quite useful.

where might you of got it for that price.. single licenses are about $3500 in most places.. and the current version is 6..

MesoMorph
MesoMorph
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to 3D ANIMATION Mar. 1st, 2004 @ 03:31 PM Reply

At 3/1/04 02:38 PM, cyberdevil wrote: swish.I cant think of anything better then that.

and what would be the name of that pecific swish program?
cause i got SWISHmax, and it doesn't have 3d stuff.

STEM
STEM
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Blank Slate
Response to 3D ANIMATION Mar. 1st, 2004 @ 06:33 PM Reply

maya.

[ Forum Mod // Send PM ]

BBS Signature
cheshirepus
cheshirepus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to 3D ANIMATION Mar. 1st, 2004 @ 08:59 PM Reply

I might be mistaken, but I honestly don't think anyone just casually asking around is going to be willing to spend $2000 on Maya.
Still, they're all pretty expensive and as I've had the best experience with 3DSmax, that's what I'd suggest, also.
As for Flash and 3D, Discreet (makers of 3DSmax) has an awesome program called "Plasma", which will also cost you no less than $500, but has the awesome ability to render itself into 2D vector graphics and bitmaps while allowing you to control everything from gradient fills to shadows. Speaking from experience, I'd suggest at least a 2.5GHz processor and 1G of RAM though.
At any rate, anything worth your time is going to be pretty expensive.

Iamthom
Iamthom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to 3D ANIMATION Mar. 1st, 2004 @ 11:18 PM Reply

hehe, who said swish?? that has nothing ot do with 3d, perhaps your thinking of swift 3d?

Ive been using 3ds max for about 9 months, prob less, and ive gotten pretty good with it. It does cost a bundle but it will pay out if you actually stick with it and produce top-notch models. And to the guy who posted above me, those "recommendations" are very very high. I have a 551mhz P3 with 256mb RAM, it works fine until you get past around 1 million polygons (if you get into 3d you will understand how many that is, and unless u are doing a huge scene then how hard it is to go past) I mean true, its better to have a better comp, but im just saying you dont need all the fancy new comps these days =D "hyper threading" Hah!

Now if you want to get your 3d animation into flash you will need to use swift 3d. That will export your animation and make it into a .swf . However for some reason swift does not know how to compute "textures". Textures are things that are very detailed, think of one as a rug, instead of showing all the little threads and dirt and things swift will only show the base color (meaning only one color).

If you wanna have someone to talk 3d with aim me sometime if u have aim..... im urnoarmedfriend

bye bye
-thomas

cheshirepus
cheshirepus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to 3D ANIMATION Mar. 1st, 2004 @ 11:30 PM Reply

Yep, it was somewhere around 3,000,000 shapes that I was trying to render. True enough, Plasma renders my 3D images into .swf's beautifully when it's nothing more than a few simple shapes, but it definately requires a little more horsepower when you want to ask it for the good stuff.

mkscorpion
mkscorpion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to 3D ANIMATION Mar. 2nd, 2004 @ 12:28 AM Reply

hey i was wondering is 3d or cartoon animation easier and can flash mx do both? post a reply or email me at manwithoutfear820@hotmail.com

3D ANIMATION

Iamthom
Iamthom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to 3D ANIMATION Mar. 2nd, 2004 @ 12:42 AM Reply

3d animation is definitly easier, once u have the model it is pretty easy from there on out.

and no, macromedia flash can only produce 2d animations/graphics (that is without other external programs like swift 3d and plasma)

Popeofdope
Popeofdope
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Blank Slate
Response to 3D ANIMATION Mar. 2nd, 2004 @ 01:32 AM Reply

go with swift that what i use, it does the job and has many options for final appearance

3D ANIMATION