00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TwistSSD just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The weekly tops discussion thread

106,104 Views | 914 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2010-06-24 12:00:45

At 6/24/10 12:00 PM, Gravey wrote:
At 6/24/10 11:57 AM, F-777 wrote:
I feel like that was an insult towards me?
Only if you actually think of yourself as a musical genius.

Nope =).

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2010-06-24 12:03:51

Then tell me this, if basshunter and Tiesto aren't musical geniuses then why are they making millions of dollars a year while you sit here ridiculing them?

..............The Guide to Newgrounds Audio

Latest Track: Phoenix

BBS Signature

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2010-06-24 12:07:54

At 6/24/10 12:00 PM, F-777 wrote:
Nope =).

Then don't worry about it. ;-)

Not even the best composers here on Newgrounds could be considered geniuses. And my comment was just sarcastically laughing at the idea that there are musical geniuses on Newgrounds. There are great composers and some real fine producers. But even the best, such as Danman, DavidOrr, MrMilkCarton, etc aren't musical geniuses.

Genius implies you are doing something that just blows the rest of the field away. Something new, unique, transcendent, and flat out amazing. Nobody on Newgrounds does that. there are a lot of great composers here and producers, but no genius is within our company.

If someone here gets accepted into Juliard or University of Berkely of California here on Newgrounds let me know. I'll be willing to change my stance on there being no genius among us. :-P

BBS Signature

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2010-06-24 12:08:54

At 6/24/10 12:03 PM, TMM43 wrote: Then tell me this, if basshunter and Tiesto aren't musical geniuses then why are they making millions of dollars a year while you sit here ridiculing them?

Income is no measuring stick for genius. Seriously. How could you make that connection?

BBS Signature

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2010-06-24 12:10:47

You're definition of genius is based on how much a person knows.

My definition of genius is how much a person can do with what they know.

..............The Guide to Newgrounds Audio

Latest Track: Phoenix

BBS Signature

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2010-06-24 12:13:51

I agree with you about the term genius =).
But then again neither money or university can define that.

People just call whoever they like a genius really cause theres
no real way to prove it or actually own the title.

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2010-06-24 12:17:39

At 6/24/10 12:10 PM, TMM43 wrote: You're definition of genius is based on how much a person knows.

My definition of genius is how much a person can do with what they know.

Definition of genius from Merriam-Webster:

a single strongly marked capacity or aptitude <had a genius for getting along with boys - Mary Ross> b : extraordinary intellectual power especially as manifested in creative activity c : a person endowed with transcendent mental superiority; especially : a person with a very high IQ

Your definition is not of genius, but of something totally different. If someone with a genius IQ doesn't use it at NASA, and instead flips burgers for a living, he is still a genius. The application is irrelevant. It's the aptitude and intellectual superiority that makes a genius. Not what he does with it.

Your definition of genius is simply wrong. Just because you decide you want to call a carrot and orange doesn't mean you are right. Same thing applies here. Just because you seem to think that a genius is defined differently doesn't mean you have some amazing way of thinking that the rest don't.

It just means you are wrong.

At 6/24/10 12:13 PM, F-777 wrote: I agree with you about the term genius =).
But then again neither money or university can define that.

People just call whoever they like a genius really cause theres
no real way to prove it or actually own the title.

The Juliard/Berkely comment was made because in order to get into them you have to show the aptitude and mental capacities of a musical genius. Granted getting into a university would not suddenly make you a genius. But the criteria for those schools is pretty much to have an exceptional musical IQ.

Does that make more sense? I probably should have explained that further in my original post. ;-)

BBS Signature

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2010-06-24 13:18:20

In my opinion, there are musical geniuses on NG (at least in my eyes they are :3), which is what makes me stay on NG. To be entirely honest with you, in my 600-song music library, I don't have any songs at all which weren't from NG except some soundtrack/orchestral songs which I found in other places.

The instant I listened to Basshunter or DJ-Tiesto, I realised that they were obviously made by professionals, but they just weren't interesting for me.

While it's not easy to find good pieces in the AP, I'm not going to lie; I've found the best music I've ever heard of here, seriously. Although then again that's strictly my opinion.

That's why I use the term 'musical genius' loosely. Anyone who thinks of himself as a musical genius is too full of himself, but it doesn't matter if someone calls someone else a musical genius if that's his personal opinion of this person.

Also F-777 I never knew you'd actually check this thread. Now I'm feeling all embarrassed.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2010-06-24 13:32:39

At 6/24/10 01:18 PM, Supersteph54 wrote:
I'm embarrassed

You are so cute when you are embarrassed. :-P

BBS Signature

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2010-06-24 13:51:02

At 6/24/10 01:32 PM, Gravey wrote: You are so cute when you are embarrassed. :-P

Aw, now I feel all embarrassed again.

Keeping on subject, is it me or is there a large amount of Hip-Hop Modern and Miscellaneous tracks in the Top 30?

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2010-06-24 14:10:45

At 6/24/10 01:51 PM, Supersteph54 wrote:
At 6/24/10 01:32 PM, Gravey wrote: You are so cute when you are embarrassed. :-P
Aw, now I feel all embarrassed again.

Keeping on subject, is it me or is there a large amount of Hip-Hop Modern and Miscellaneous tracks in the Top 30?

Meh, self voters and crews. Nothing new.

The Main Thing is to keep the Main, Thing the Main Thing.

Latest Song: Retraktion [House/Electro] / Latest Mix: Voltaicly Uncondensed

BBS Signature

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2010-06-24 14:25:26

At 6/24/10 01:18 PM, Supersteph54 wrote: Anyone who thinks of himself as a musical genius is too full of himself

It feels good to be stuffed by oneself. It is an ego-feed within itself.

BBS Signature

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2010-06-24 14:45:43

I met an actual musical genius once. He was a total asshole and he had pants with different colors on each leg.

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2010-06-29 07:14:42

weekly top keeps getting worse and worse

BBS Signature

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2010-06-29 13:31:30

At 6/29/10 07:14 AM, eatmeatleet wrote: weekly top keeps getting worse and worse

hopefully tomorrow we'll get some good ones in

BBS Signature

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2010-06-29 18:07:46

At 6/24/10 12:07 PM, Gravey wrote: Genius implies you are doing something that just blows the rest of the field away. Something new, unique,
transcendent, and flat out amazing.

You could only understand why Tiesto is a "genius" by your definition if you saw him live. I don't even like his music, but there's a solid reason why he's regarded as one of the best djs in the world.

www.macjams.com/artist/kgz (Download links)

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2010-06-29 20:13:30

At 6/29/10 06:07 PM, KgZ wrote:
At 6/24/10 12:07 PM, Gravey wrote: Genius implies you are doing something that just blows the rest of the field away. Something new, unique,
You could only understand why Tiesto is a "genius" by your definition if you saw him live. I don't even like his music, but there's a solid reason why he's regarded as one of the best djs in the world.

I figured most of the appeal for his concerts was the giant soundsystems and lightshows, not his fantastic mixing skills.

Deadmau5 knows how to give a performance, if you ask me.

BBS Signature

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2010-06-29 20:24:40

Number 1 was nice, but not good enough for #1. Too blah generic. Pyramid was alright. Number five was a total refresher from the techno. I loved it. But um... The ones I didn't mention just seemed like songs I heard before. Just with like, slightly changed melodies.

I will eat your children :D

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2010-06-29 21:07:05

I like how we actually got discussion going here.
At Gravey, I wonder if you caught my "*giggles*" on the last page. :p

Sirdangalot5: sound systems and light shows still are pretty worthless if the music performance is lacking.

And on your comment about deadmau5, It's worth noting that he doesn't always do DJ sets, he actually performs his music live with these touch things and everything. I like it. :3
On that note, I'm not implying you claimed otherwise, I just wanted to drop in a note about that.

Yay, new tops soon.

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2010-06-29 21:40:09

At 6/29/10 08:13 PM, Sirdangolot5 wrote:
At 6/29/10 06:07 PM, KgZ wrote:
I figured most of the appeal for his concerts was the giant soundsystems and lightshows, not his fantastic mixing skills.

Deadmau5 knows how to give a performance, if you ask me.

Likewise deadmau5 is another talented DJ (although I dont like his music either). The reason why they are so amazing is because they know how to control a crowd. It may sound stupid on paper, but one can only really understand when you immerse yourself at a live show.

It's like a conductor in an orchestra.

www.macjams.com/artist/kgz (Download links)

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2010-06-30 00:41:39

At 6/29/10 09:07 PM, Mich wrote:

I have now that you pointed it out to me. And I've come to realize that your giggles make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

BBS Signature

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2010-06-30 01:18:27

At 6/29/10 09:40 PM, KgZ wrote: Likewise deadmau5 is another talented DJ (although I dont like his music either). The reason why they are so amazing is because they know how to control a crowd. It may sound stupid on paper, but one can only really understand when you immerse yourself at a live show.

Well.. You kinda' have to don't you or everyone's just gonna' walk out? Tbh, I find it pretty hard not to get caught in the emotion that being at a concert gives you, even if the performance is pretty shit. I dunno', being around all the people in the dark staring up into the brightly lit stage with strobes and all other shit going on. It's pretty hard not to get caught in that moment.

I've only ever been to death metal shows though so I'm not sure if what I'm saying counts..

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2010-06-30 05:07:35

At 6/24/10 12:00 PM, F-777 wrote:
At 6/24/10 12:00 PM, Gravey wrote:
At 6/24/10 11:57 AM, F-777 wrote:
I feel like that was an insult towards me?
Only if you actually think of yourself as a musical genius.
Nope =).

He's comparing you to the likes such of Basshunter and Tiesto which seeminly have been established as trite producers by him. it's a thinly veiled insult even if intended not to be, in the same sense that supersteph or whomever was calling you a genius is over-glorification.

At 6/24/10 12:03 PM, TMM43 wrote: Then tell me this, if basshunter and Tiesto aren't musical geniuses then why are they making millions of dollars a year while you sit here ridiculing them?

You are not very intelligent if you truly think this. Business =/= Talent. ESPECIALLY true in the music world. it's pretty easy to market a good looking caucasian male who writes about broken hearts and plays the same pentatonic licks that haven't changed over the last several decades. I'm not saying this dude is a bad musician, but he's not making any breakthroughs or performing complex works that categorize him as a genius. Now maybe I'm wrong about Tiesto and Basshunter, they might have pioneered dance music, I don't know. they could be geniuses in sound synthesis, maybe. But your logic for calling them geniuses is terrible, and it's akin to saying McDonalds makes great hamburgers just because they've sold billions.

BBS Signature

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2010-06-30 06:25:06

wow, 4 remixes.. And is it just me or coco-jumbo sounded like a midi injection?

BBS Signature

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2010-06-30 09:10:44

At 6/29/10 09:07 PM, Mich wrote: I like how we actually got discussion going here.

Sirdangalot5: sound systems and light shows still are pretty worthless if the music performance is lacking.

And on your comment about deadmau5, It's worth noting that he doesn't always do DJ sets, he actually performs his music live with these touch things and everything. I like it. :3
On that note, I'm not implying you claimed otherwise, I just wanted to drop in a note about that.

Yeah, pretty much everything you just said was what I was trying to say. Oh well.
New tops! Time to give 'em a listen

BBS Signature

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2010-06-30 09:35:34

Bah... The top song is a shitty midi rip, the second one is kinda cool but could've done without the linkin park :P also treblefest. The rest of them are mediocre.

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2010-06-30 10:07:57

Also, I got number one in score!

BBS Signature

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2010-06-30 10:15:58

At 6/30/10 10:07 AM, Sirdangolot5 wrote: Also, I got number one in score!

Now now, it's impolite to brag.

All though, I get to say now even though I didn't win anything in the MAC, I was one of the few entries in that contest who got it on the front page. Just sayin...

The Main Thing is to keep the Main, Thing the Main Thing.

Latest Song: Retraktion [House/Electro] / Latest Mix: Voltaicly Uncondensed

BBS Signature

Response to The weekly tops discussion thread 2010-06-30 12:57:03

What the hell man! i got on the top30 again? This is what i call a triple kill lol XD
I'll review the top5 when i come back home :)