Respond to this Topic
BloodStorm2262
BloodStorm2262
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Winter Wacom 7 Dec. 10th, 2009 @ 07:03 AM Reply

Well what if you had new icons instead of new colors based on the content you submit? Like maybe only 10 or so but have them based on how much you submit not how much you vote, like instead of swords and fists and wrenches it could be old-school to new-school (or vice-versa) formats of video, audio, art, etc.... Betamax, film reels, cassettes, and records come to mind ^.^, also chalk and tablets for art.

7 Deadly Sins
Lust Gluttony Greed
Sloth Wrath Envy Pride

BBS Signature
Autritisc
Autritisc
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Winter Wacom 7 Dec. 10th, 2009 @ 07:08 AM Reply

At 12/10/09 03:48 AM, Canas wrote: I think a much better idea is to have JohnnyUtah systematically draw a caricature of every single user for their level icon. Everybody's happy.

i second that! More johnnyUtah to the people!

BBS Signature
werewolf6666
werewolf6666
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Artist
Response to Winter Wacom 7 Dec. 10th, 2009 @ 09:33 AM Reply

sounds cool, I wouldn't mind

picture is comming up.....
please leave amessage after the beep.
-beep-

Nameless84
Nameless84
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Winter Wacom 7 Dec. 10th, 2009 @ 09:38 AM Reply

At 12/9/09 04:50 PM, TomFulp wrote:

"What if your aura represented the dominant content type you contribute to the site, such as movies, games, music, art, etc."

It sound like a good idea, but there's also the possibility of having a similar problem as with the changing of voting habits. There would be people who would deliberately submit a certain type of flash just so they could become good or evil (or remain neutral). So, as the singular determining factor for a user's aura, this doesn't work out. Besides, there are users on here that don't submit anything except for the occassional review. A hybrid of the current aura system and the one you proposed (along with elements of the old voting one) would probably be best. Not only would users be able to choose the aura they want at any time, their aura would also be affected by the kinds of submissions they contribute or review. Maybe put in some special ones like "Dirty Little Boy" for someone who submits/reviews a certain amount of Adult rated content, or "Mix Master" (I know it's lame, but I couldn't think of anything else) for someone who submits a lot of Techno music. Some sort of special aura title for each category of flash, and possibly seperate ones for the people who make the submission and those who review it. A menu of each aura-type you've unlocked would be available in your profile, and the ones you haven't unlocked yet would have a little description of what you have to do in order to get it (for example, submit 5 audio submissions to unlock the first audio-themed aura). I've lost my train of thought, sooooooooooooo, yeah. Hope I don't sound too stupid.

.Names left forgotten.
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft

maxvm
maxvm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Filmmaker
Response to Winter Wacom 7 Dec. 10th, 2009 @ 10:39 AM Reply

At 12/9/09 04:50 PM, TomFulp wrote: If you were expecting CCB today, it won't be out today but maybe tomorrow! In the meantime, enjoy the Last of the Dashkin.

I love Adam Philips, I am glad he gets some extra publicity for his work!

Quick poll!

I like the idea you have made, but would these colours be new? If you went with the idea and I didn't like the colour for movies (which I would be dominant it), I would like to revert back to blue. I think it suits well with my level weapon, which is why I chose it in the first place.

Visiting Newgrounds Since 2003

BBS Signature
golfinho
golfinho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Winter Wacom 7 Dec. 10th, 2009 @ 10:59 AM Reply

I win a tablet! im happy!

Winter Wacom 7

dirtshake
dirtshake
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Movie Buff
Response to Winter Wacom 7 Dec. 10th, 2009 @ 10:59 AM Reply

At 12/9/09 11:40 PM, IonStar wrote: Off topic:
You should advertise your need for help with the icons a bit more, 28k submissions to iconify is a lot of work. Also, I'd like to suggest an option that allows me as a user to preview my message before posting it.

I also agree with both of these things. Just put a link at the bottom of the site to Icon Helpers. That way more people would discover it and help. Right now only 3% of the submissions have icons.
And I like the preview option as well.

At 12/10/09 03:48 AM, Canas wrote: I think a much better idea is to have JohnnyUtah systematically draw a caricature of every single user for their level icon. Everybody's happy.

YES!!! If he complains, let him know that he has job security for many months and years. It will take a while to draw all those caricatures.

Current Projects: Swimming Fiasco | Story of Gingie

BBS Signature
Garghoul30
Garghoul30
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Winter Wacom 7 Dec. 10th, 2009 @ 11:36 AM Reply

What do you mean by the aura idea? Do you mean we will earn a specfic color by contributing to games, art, or flash? Or does it mean we will earn a specific color depending on what we post in our submissions (such as if you submit alot of things with excessive violence in them then you get an evil or dark aura? Or if you submit things that are for all ages you get a light aura?)? Or is there something else?

Blounty
Blounty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Movie Buff
Response to Winter Wacom 7 Dec. 10th, 2009 @ 02:46 PM Reply

Changing the auras would give a new feature to newgrounds, change it and if people dont like it you can always change it back.

Its better to have tried it and have it fail, than to not have tried it at all.

Sig created by HighWay

BBS Signature
Tioilet
Tioilet
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Winter Wacom 7 Dec. 10th, 2009 @ 03:03 PM Reply

Golfinho is very funny!

i love it!

bob
bob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Winter Wacom 7 Dec. 10th, 2009 @ 03:34 PM Reply

At 12/9/09 06:18 PM, Luis wrote: Depends on what color belongs to what. I would hate to have the color i most want be something that i never do, like write stories or make music or moderate.

shuddup, foo. you have a gold aura anyway.

BBS Signature
Rucklo
Rucklo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Audiophile
Response to Winter Wacom 7 Dec. 10th, 2009 @ 03:44 PM Reply

At 12/9/09 04:50 PM, TomFulp wrote: What if your aura represented the dominant content type you contribute to the site, such as movies, games, music, art, etc.

Browsing a list of users or a thread, you could quickly determine specialties by the color of the aura.

Would you enjoy that or be bothered by that?

I think the above sounds like a cool idea overall... but:

- When looking at the actual levels, you get it from voting flashes only. of course it'd be cool if the aura would change depending on what you mainly vote for. This would make it more user-friendly (since not everyone on NG actually contributes with content to the site).

Obv. this would mean exp. for voting on audio+art would have to be included, but all in all i think that would make alot more sense (...of course it's not the first time getting exp. for voting on audio+art have been suggested... :).

It definitley would be cool to have some kind of notation of what one contributes with to the site though... perhaps one could gain access to different "colours" only when having submitted a certain type? and then one could choose between the colours, or perhaps even mix f.ex. blue and green (blue for flash, green for audio)...

Join the Newgrounds Battlefield 3 Platoon (for PC)! DON'T ASK WHAT YOUR GAME CAN DO FOR YOU, ASK WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR, UH, NEWGROUNDS! ON BATTLEFIELD 3. eh...

Grargh
Grargh
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Winter Wacom 7 Dec. 10th, 2009 @ 04:02 PM Reply

I think it's a good idea, organic site! I however fear change. Picking socks in the morning has me on the verge of meltdown.

CaptainMax
CaptainMax
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Winter Wacom 7 Dec. 10th, 2009 @ 04:07 PM Reply

I think that the aura idea is great.

Gloudas
Gloudas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Winter Wacom 7 Dec. 10th, 2009 @ 04:21 PM Reply

It's neat in theory, but as the forums are already divided into the content-groups as is, that would just make the auras incredibly repetitive. Essentially it would make it so that in the Audio, Art, and Flash forum, every single user would have the same aura, as the people who make that type of content flock to that forum. For myself, I exclusively make Audio, and exclusively browse the Audio forum, which is the case for much of the music community here. I think it would be quite boring to scroll through a thread in the Audio forum and see every user with the same "Music-Producer Aura".

A heavy bassline is my kind of silence.

Enjoy progressive house? Then listen to my song.

morcov
morcov
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 20
Artist
Response to Winter Wacom 7 Dec. 10th, 2009 @ 04:58 PM Reply

Sounds like a good idea, but for the people who only review / Post news / Art is never scouted, how would they get one? Good job on the wacom win, too.

rockymike
rockymike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Winter Wacom 7 Dec. 10th, 2009 @ 06:29 PM Reply

What if your aura represented the dominant content type you contribute to the site, such as movies, games, music, art, etc.

Browsing a list of users or a thread, you could quickly determine specialties by the color of the aura.

Would you enjoy that or be bothered by that?

I would enjoy that.

It serves its purpose.

BBS Signature
chouji7
chouji7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to Winter Wacom 7 Dec. 10th, 2009 @ 07:48 PM Reply

change the auras to show what content they post to the portal! thats the best, or if you dont change it, atleast make a note near their username or something liek that. it would be awesome

gfoxcook
gfoxcook
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Winter Wacom 7 Dec. 10th, 2009 @ 09:02 PM Reply

At 12/9/09 10:08 PM, ornery wrote: aura idea sounds great

Yeah, but you're stuck with only gold right now, so any change in the aura system probably sounds great to you... #;-}>

At 12/10/09 03:34 PM, bob wrote:
At 12/9/09 06:18 PM, Luis wrote: Depends on what color belongs to what. I would hate to have the color i most want be something that i never do, like write stories or make music or moderate.
shuddup, foo. you have a gold aura anyway.

I was demodded, as I mentioned to Tom back at the top of page 3, three months prior to the redesign, but I can't be the only mod or former mod who doesn't like the gold aura as much as they like at least one other aura. It sounds like Luis is another member of the golden club who doesn't like being restricted to gold.

If I'd still been a mod when the redesign hit, and changed from green to gold overnight without warning, my OCD woulda kicked into overdrive.

I don't always like that part of my brain, but I have to live with it. Changed weapons (mostly for the best) in the level icons, 30 to 60 levels, and changed rank badges (mostly for the worse) in the b/p rank badges was enough change in July 2007... if I'd had my aura changed. Egad. I hate to imagine that alternate reality.

gfox // wi/ht?#9 // 2x10k PentaList (final update: 3/15/2008) // Bahamut's List!
a long, long time ago: 60000 b/p (#2) // 36000 blams (#3) // 24000 saves (#1)

BBS Signature
gfoxcook
gfoxcook
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Winter Wacom 7 Dec. 10th, 2009 @ 09:08 PM Reply

At 12/9/09 06:50 PM, Rhete wrote: How about instead of new auras, you made new flash/audio/art/writing related avatars, and they were unlocked on your account if you earned an award in one of those areas? Then people could choose to use that or any of the exp related avatars they'd previously earned.

Well said. I think that's a great idea. Different weapons for being an award-winning member of whatever portal... instead of messing about with the auras. Kudos to you on an excellent system think-up.

At 12/9/09 06:52 PM, ilikeblamingcrap wrote:
At 12/9/09 06:43 PM, gfoxcook wrote: Some smart stuff
YES. Oh and maybe give different mod auras to be chosen for them? Like, a mixture of Gold and Red (Mod with an evil aura) would be nice.

It does sound like some mods would prefer a choice, but since I ain't one of 'em anymore, I won't comment on that particular idea. No skin off my back.

At 12/9/09 07:29 PM, SimCorder wrote: I like the idea, but the problem I see with it is what if you get a color you don't like?

Exactly the problem. There's plenty of obsessive/compulsive people like myself here on NG (at least 50% of the statwhores, past, present, or future, I'd estimate)... and a lot of us like the colours we like, and don't like the colours we don't like.

If I couldn't have green, I'd go with blue. Gold would be my third choice (but only because it looks really good with black weapons like lv43 and 45... now that I'm into the golden weapons, there'd be no point to a gold aura, it's just too much gold... can you tell I'm more of a fan of silver, as a decorative metal, than of gold? heh).

At 12/9/09 07:48 PM, Duchednier wrote: I like your idea of aura by what kind of user you are. The only thing is you'd it would probably lead to how it used to be, people picking a colour that they want and behaving good or bad to get that aura.

Yep. Like I said on page 3, if submitting writing to the lit portal, should it be created in the future, would automatically change my green/neutral aura to a "writer's aura" of another colour, I'd just not bother submitting writing in the first place.

At 12/10/09 02:38 AM, someone-else wrote:
At 12/9/09 04:50 PM, TomFulp wrote: Would you enjoy that or be bothered by that?
That would be cool. I'm not too concerned about the color of my aura so it doesn't bother me.

Well, that's fine and dandy for you, but those of us who've loved our aura colours for a decade shouldn't suffer because of openminded bastards like yourself, you damnable someone else. #;-}>

At 12/10/09 05:39 AM, Auz wrote: I don't think I'll like this very much. In the art, flash and audio forums you will probably see almost nothing but the same auras and even in the Wi/Ht? most of the regulars will have the same.

Also I wouldn't like it if I was forced to have the pink color that belongs to the current fabulous aura while I would rather have a red one instead.

So just leave it as it is.

Thanks for the backup, Auz. I wish Bahamut would get back in here, as he had a lot to say on Steam IM yesterday about it.

gfox // wi/ht?#9 // 2x10k PentaList (final update: 3/15/2008) // Bahamut's List!
a long, long time ago: 60000 b/p (#2) // 36000 blams (#3) // 24000 saves (#1)

BBS Signature
Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 58
Audiophile
Response to Winter Wacom 7 Dec. 11th, 2009 @ 10:36 AM Reply

At 12/10/09 09:08 PM, gfoxcook wrote:
At 12/10/09 05:39 AM, Auz wrote: So just leave it as it is.
Thanks for the backup, Auz. I wish Bahamut would get back in here, as he had a lot to say on Steam IM yesterday about it.

If you insist, even though I would have just left it as saying no to aura system changes. However, since people have suggested many ideas and a lot has been talked about the current subject, my favourite idea out of all of them is having small icons below your post as Autritisc said and maybe have them on your userpage as well.

As for those suggesting additional auras for the areas you contribute to, that's not a bad idea but I wouldn't like having different shades of colours or any alterations to the basic colours to represent who contributes to where the most. However, if we were to have anymore auras, then there's one aura I would like to see alongside the main five that normal users such as myself can choose and that's Alfie's Saint aura.

As a normal user on Newgrounds, having five auras of my choice with my level icon representing myself on the BBS and displayed on my user page is one of the many aspects of the site I really like. Losing the ability to choose them in favour for where I contribute to the most wouldn't be the same for me as well as others, especially when my desired aura could be for audio artists and I can't make music for shit. Although there is a voice acting category, I wouldn't like having to be more active in audio just so I can have the aura I want the most.

[ BBS / Icon / Portal Möd ] - [ Facebook - Twitter ]
Formerly Bahamut

SpikeVallentine
SpikeVallentine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Winter Wacom 7 Dec. 12th, 2009 @ 06:56 AM Reply

Like you said, indication of what their strength is.

If they're more of a audio submiter, then perhaps on the bottom right on their Aura is an Audio Logo.
Etc.etc.etc.

Or invent a new icon some where etc., that would reveal what their strengths are. Identify them.
Perhaps make it subtle? This could possibly stimulate communication. Maybe some folks are too lazy to see what other peoples' strengths are.

In general it's cool how it is.

I hope your day will be as bright as the sun!

evanarmagast
evanarmagast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Animator
Response to Winter Wacom 7 Dec. 12th, 2009 @ 10:06 AM Reply

At 12/9/09 04:56 PM, Thegluestickman wrote: I like the aura idea. Could you do it so you can switch your Aura to that or pick your own? Maybe have a special colour for people who contribute?

This is the only option.

crazy? i'm not crazy. i'm a table.

BBS Signature
7IsUnlucky
7IsUnlucky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Winter Wacom 7 Dec. 12th, 2009 @ 02:39 PM Reply

I think that new aaura idea is wonderful

420 blaze it faggot

Unplugged-Guitarist
Unplugged-Guitarist
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Winter Wacom 7 Dec. 12th, 2009 @ 04:30 PM Reply

Hmm...
just a thought, but maybe on the aura, whereas the aura is red for evil, blue for light etc, where there is white in the background,change that to a different colour for different submissions and stuff?
for example, lets say orange is games, purple is music. if your aura was evil and you were known for your games, you could then choose red and purple. okay, maybe a bit of a clash, but those are just example colours...maybe when they are designed, see what colours are possible.
Im pretty chuffed with this suggestion actually =D

===============================
!~StigerS~!

gumOnShoe
gumOnShoe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Winter Wacom 7 Dec. 17th, 2009 @ 12:33 PM Reply

It'd be cool to mix the auras up a bit. Not having all the mods be solid gold is a plus in my opinion.

Newgrounds Anthology? 20,000 Word Max. [Submit]

Music? Click Sig:

BBS Signature