Respond to this Topic
Ismael92
Ismael92
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-09 21:01:14 Reply

Congrats to golfinho! I've watched some of his movies in the past, and he deserves this because he's from Latin America!

At 12/9/09 04:50 PM, TomFulp wrote: What if your aura represented the dominant content type you contribute to the site, such as movies, games, music, art, etc.

Browsing a list of users or a thread, you could quickly determine specialties by the color of the aura.

Would you enjoy that or be bothered by that?

That sounds like an interesting idea. But I don't want to end up with an aura I don't like just because of the things I do (i.e. fab aura for people who only participate in the BBS). Also I know people that like their aura so much that they would completely hate this new system (I think you have guessed that by some of the posts in this thread, lol).

At 12/9/09 05:16 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 12/9/09 04:56 PM, Thegluestickman wrote: I like the aura idea. Could you do it so you can switch your Aura to that or pick your own? Maybe have a special colour for people who contribute?
Yeah one thought was you earn a color for every area you contribute in, so you could choose at that point.

That sounds good too, but imagine someone who only knows how to make audio. He/She would only have one color to choose from :(

At 12/9/09 05:38 PM, Autritisc wrote: Haha i was waiting for him to get his tablet after the results of the treasure hunt Nice going golfinho!

And for the aura poll i have to say no leave them as they are but you could make like a little bar under the aura or maybe a square in the corner of the aura that have the icon representing dominant content a user submits or even maybe even a place for three squares that links you to the art work, flash or audio the user in question have submitted. Other than that my opinion is that most of the stuff on newgrounds already are perfect.

Like this.. but better.. Also i hope you don't mind me using you aura tom.

This idea is great. And if those pictures had links to the author's submissions, then at the same time it would be a nice way to promote them :)

To sum up, I want to be able to pick my own aura, but if you want us to be able to determine what people do just by seeing their posts, then you should go with Autritisc's idea :D

BabiesAteMyDingo
BabiesAteMyDingo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-09 21:02:03 Reply

The aura idea is a good one. But could users opt in/opt out of it? Or still pick from the original auras if they prefer?

EGB || NGPD || ART || NG SIG MAKER || WI/HT REGULAR ||

BBS Signature
HonterGames
HonterGames
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-09 21:03:42 Reply

What about if the user is able to change the colour of their aura (eg, Dark, Light, Fab), but their specific contributions to whatever area on Newgrounds changes the way the aura looks (eg, if they vote mostly on movies or submit movies, then they have the light-beams[which the auras already have], but if they say contribute more to audio or something they can have 'wavy' beams, like radio waves, or if they contribute to art they can have bubbles or something

BBS Signature
I-fang
I-fang
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-09 21:05:06 Reply

I would certainly enjoy that thing with the auras, have you thought of or has anyone mentiones anything about a gamer aura? that could add more value to the medals for some people, BTW is there a ranking on medal points? just curious...

reverend
reverend
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Movie Buff
Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-09 21:08:14 Reply

At 12/9/09 04:50 PM, TomFulp wrote: Today's Wacom tablet goes to golfinho!

Congrats dude!

What if your aura represented the dominant content type you contribute to the site, such as movies, games, music, art, etc.
Browsing a list of users or a thread, you could quickly determine specialties by the color of the aura.

It would be nice to identify a person by what they submit, but it would be best if it was something other than auras. I think someone mentioned using either additional text or additional icons to show what you contribute and I think that's a great idea. But for changing aura colors, I don't think you'd want thousands of users to flood the Portal just so they can change their aura.

Rev 22:20 || Wi/Ht? # 46 || Why was my review deleted? || Without her, we are lifeless satellites drifting.

BBS Signature
<deleted>
Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-09 21:17:51 Reply

Golfinhos is very SICK
look him flash!

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-09 21:20:57 Reply

At 12/9/09 08:48 PM, AIRYman50 wrote: RANDOM SUGGESTION! You should make a newgrounds leaderboard thing so we dont have to put mochi ads in our games (or do you not have to put mochi ads or are you making one already and if you are whats the status?)

We actually had the first ever high score API back in 2000 but it got hacked to shit. Funny you mention that though because it's finally about to come back!

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
ilikeblamingcrap
ilikeblamingcrap
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Gamer
Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-09 21:35:37 Reply

At 12/9/09 09:20 PM, TomFulp wrote: We actually had the first ever high score API back in 2000 but it got hacked to shit. Funny you mention that though because it's finally about to come back!

may I ask, who hacked it?

ornery
ornery
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Artist
Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-09 22:08:32 Reply

aura idea sounds great

HonterGames
HonterGames
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-09 22:09:52 Reply

At 12/9/09 09:20 PM, TomFulp wrote:
We actually had the first ever high score API back in 2000 but it got hacked to shit. Funny you mention that though because it's finally about to come back!

Thatll be good, id rather use a NG scoreboard than Mochi, dunno why

BBS Signature
ilikeblamingcrap
ilikeblamingcrap
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Gamer
Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-09 22:10:14 Reply

At 12/9/09 10:08 PM, ornery wrote: aura idea sounds great

WTF about mine? You'd have a mix of your gold and neutral aura IF SOME ONE WOULD ACCNOLAGE MY IDEA. Please?

Rhete
Rhete
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Game Developer
Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-09 22:15:34 Reply

At 12/9/09 09:20 PM, TomFulp wrote: Funny you mention that though because it's finally about to come back!

Awesome! I remember playing that police bike game for hours back in 2000 trying to get on the high score list.

BBS Signature
cheesebizkit
cheesebizkit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-09 22:28:00 Reply

I remember voting on the orgasmic anal dream movie when it was in judgement. I voted 5.

BBS Signature
patchwork
patchwork
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-09 22:29:19 Reply

well i think this is a bad idea for now i mean whats up with the chat room is it happing or not it has a page but well nothing there?

"its dean cain grandpa he lives in our chair"

BBS Signature
golfinho
golfinho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-09 22:42:07 Reply

At 12/9/09 10:28 PM, cheesebizkit wrote: I remember voting on the orgasmic anal dream movie when it was in judgement. I voted 5.

I remember your motivational review! thanks man!

Nutcasenightmare
Nutcasenightmare
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 38
Game Developer
Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-09 22:45:16 Reply

At 12/9/09 04:56 PM, Thegluestickman wrote: I like the aura idea. Could you do it so you can switch your Aura to that or pick your own? Maybe have a special colour for people who contribute?
Yeah one thought was you earn a color for every area you contribute in, so you could choose at that point.

Yeah, I think the unlockable auras idea is the best suggestion so far; you'd have to earn it and it doesn't take away any choice. However there should probably be a minimum score for what counts as a 'contribution', so as to prevent people from spamming just in order to get a new aura...

Games, Toons, and Other Escapes From Reality.
NutcaseNightmare [dot] com

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-09 23:00:34 Reply

At 12/9/09 10:15 PM, Rhete wrote: Awesome! I remember playing that police bike game for hours back in 2000 trying to get on the high score list.

It's gonna be tempting to update it but I don't even know if I have the FLA for that anymore. I somehow lost a bunch of stuff during some transition at some point.

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
Dylawrence
Dylawrence
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-09 23:19:42 Reply

I like the direction you're going in, but I really don't mind my color near as much as my level weapon/tool/icon...

I would LOVE IT if we could choose previous level pictures because I'm not really a fan of the upcoming weapons.

If this is impossible, then is there at least some way to put me back to level 12? I really miss my broken bottle, and I don't care if it means I have to give up my voting power as long as I get my beloved picture back!

I don't think I am the only one that wants this... but who knows?

BBS Signature
zeedox
zeedox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Artist
Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-09 23:34:04 Reply

I don't mind the auras as they are, but maybe you can unlock new weapon icons which you can choose to use instead if the level ones. They could be awarded for each of the different movie/game/audio portal categories for having quality submissions in that category... just an idea.

But I like the new aura idea anyway if it gives me another reward to work for and look forward to for submitting more content.

IonStar
IonStar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Melancholy
Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-09 23:40:43 Reply

Many congrats to you golfinho, I hope you enjoy the tablet and that it will be of good use to you.

The Poll:
I think the freedom of choice is perhaps the best approach regarding the aura, as I believe many users like the ability to easily express themselves through the color of the aura; a picture (or in this case color) says a lot more than words about a user. Some may not care at all while others enjoy the option to choose their own aura, like I do.

I do believe it is a very good idea to be able to show the NG specialties of a user, however just as a previous poster did mention, I do think a nice symbol representing an area of specialization like Flash (in general), audio or art or whatever could be displayed beneath the user icon along with the total amount of posts and such, if the user fulfilled the requirements for a such icon/symbol/tag/stamp. These icons could in turn be color-ranked too, and with ease tell a user in a second approximately either how many submissions the user have or what the average score on the submissions are.

Either that or a frame around the user icon, and in so keeping the aura as it is while the frame display the user's specialization. I personally consider the symbols beneath the picture to be a better choice instead of tampering with the aura too much.

Off topic:
You should advertise your need for help with the icons a bit more, 28k submissions to iconify is a lot of work. Also, I'd like to suggest an option that allows me as a user to preview my message before posting it.

Mexifry
Mexifry
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-10 00:21:11 Reply

I like this idea the best. :)

mrnihil
mrnihil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Artist
Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-10 00:47:22 Reply

i support the idea of style auras.

Jedermann sein eigner truthahn abendessen.

Rig
Rig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-10 01:27:04 Reply

At 12/9/09 04:50 PM, TomFulp wrote: What if your aura represented the dominant content type you contribute to the site, such as movies, games, music, art, etc.

I think that'd be awesome. Of course, I'd make it optional. For incentive, I'd make the content-dependent auras different colours from the regular auras.

Or maybe make it so that it's two-toned...the inner colour is your content-dependent colour, and the outer colour is one of your choosing.

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature
oldlyshapedchris
oldlyshapedchris
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-10 01:27:41 Reply

this is unfair as hell. these are already famous enough

Chris Thomas Brown

BBS Signature
Syntrus
Syntrus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-10 02:11:01 Reply

I would freaking love that!

Syntrus keeping it real with fake computer music since 2006
The Madness of Kid Triangle

BBS Signature
cast
cast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Melancholy
Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-10 02:16:25 Reply

At 12/9/09 09:20 PM, TomFulp wrote:
It's finally about to come back!

Ohhhh shit. :3

c̴a̶s̴t̷

BBS Signature
someone-else
someone-else
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-10 02:38:34 Reply

At 12/9/09 04:50 PM, TomFulp wrote: Would you enjoy that or be bothered by that?

That would be cool. I'm not too concerned about the color of my aura so it doesn't bother me.

int experience, posts;
while(experience/10 >= posts)
{posts++};

Canas
Canas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Artist
Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-10 03:48:28 Reply

I think a much better idea is to have JohnnyUtah systematically draw a caricature of every single user for their level icon. Everybody's happy.

BananaBreadMuffin
BananaBreadMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Programmer
Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-10 04:30:58 Reply

At 12/9/09 05:19 PM, TomFulp wrote: It's actually Bob's idea but I wasn't sure if I should mention that in the post, in case the idea caused a hate-fest.

Well since you put it like that I think the idea is rubbish and I wish I'd never heard of it

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-10 05:39:24 Reply

Congrats to golfinho!

I don't think I'll like this very much. In the art, flash and audio forums you will probably see almost nothing but the same auras and even in the Wi/Ht? most of the regulars will have the same.

Also I wouldn't like it if I was forced to have the pink color that belongs to the current fabulous aura while I would rather have a red one instead.

So just leave it as it is.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 10 August 2014)

BBS Signature