00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

GodtyGoddessGoat just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Winter Wacom 7

17,205 Views | 131 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-09 19:10:14

i think it would be nice

we could easily identify artists with this

Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-09 19:18:52

TOM GIVE WACOM ONLY TO GREATS ARTIST WITH A LOT OF TALENT, JUST TO ALL MIS FAVORITES, IS IS GREAT

golfinho, CONGRATS FOR THE CASH AND THE WACOM !!! I WANNA SEE MORE FROM YOU !!!

Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-09 19:24:36

Congratulations on winning the tablet, Golfinho!
When will it be my turn I wonder :/

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

BBS Signature

Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-09 19:28:51

I prefer being able to choose my aura, thank you.

BUT, how about another way to show who's a musician or flash maker? Without having to check their userpage I mean. It could have "flash author" or "musician" under their post count or sign-up date in the forums.

Actually, I'd like a Newgrounds achievement system. Not medals (although I ADORED that idea), but a type of medals that correspond to what we've done on Newgrounds. Got your 1000th post on the forums, you get a small achievement named "Forumgoer" or something. Been on Newgrounds for a year? You get, "Anniversary!" Submitted your third flash? You get one called "Batting Average GET!". Got a batting average over 3.0? You get "Intermediate Flash author".

Speaking of which, we need to fix the batting average calculations! P-bot is malfunctioning!

The possibilities are endless!

These "achievements" could just appear on our userpage just like medals do. But preferably to the left under our base statistics like BBS posts and stickers purchased. Our pages are getting to long downward now with the additions of latest and favorite art.

Just an idea I have. I think it could be fun. And congrats to golfinho!

I usually frequent the VG and collaboration Forums. If you find me anywhere else, I'm lost and can't find my way back.

Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-09 19:28:52

At 12/9/09 04:50 PM, TomFulp wrote: What if your aura represented the dominant content type you contribute to the site, such as movies, games, music, art, etc.

Browsing a list of users or a thread, you could quickly determine specialties by the color of the aura.

Would you enjoy that or be bothered by that?

Only if Flash contributors were Fab.

Then yes.

BBS Signature

Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-09 19:29:40

I like the idea, but the problem I see with it is what if you get a color you don't like? So maybe there should be a few aura's you can pick as well as getting a special aura that is a mirror of what your contributing.

Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-09 19:34:18

Thanks for all those who believe in my future!

Look my new animation, ! MEOWTH 2

Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-09 19:42:01

At 12/9/09 04:50 PM, TomFulp wrote: What if your aura represented the dominant content type you contribute to the site, such as movies, games, music, art, etc.

Browsing a list of users or a thread, you could quickly determine specialties by the color of the aura.

I would definitely be bothered by that. I think the Aura is more about expressing the general mood you are in, rather than how you vote or what you submit. It's also a big part of the overall feel of the forums. Customization is key, and if you controlled the thing that EVERYONE sees when you post, that takes away from the experience.

And, it may be unfair, because some people started out with really bad flash submissions, then progressively got better, got into programming, art, music, etc. If they have 20 bad movies before 2009, then let's say in 2009 they start submitting art and music, but maybe they only have 3 or 4 of each. The Flash movies the user submitted at the start would decide the user's aura for quite a while.

I agree, it would be nice to have some way of showing what type of user someone is, but I don't think changing the aura would be the best way to represent that. Perhaps BELOW the user icon/aura, like pictured below.

It would display the Batting Average of the user, and their specialty. Some options for specialty could be:

- AS2 Programmer
- AS3 Programmer
- AS2/AS3 Programmer
- Animator
- Composer
- Artist (3D)
- Artist (Insert Drawing Style Here)
- Common Joe

There could also be a system that shows the quality of posts, based on other users' votes, sort of like a combination of the helpful review marking system and art portal scouting. For example, only people with generally helpful posts can vote on other peoples' forum posts. Speaking of voting on posts, there should be a POST FLAGGING SYSTEM so normal users, with generally helpful posting habits, can mark abusive posts so mods can see them more easily. Either that, or hire more mods, because I have to PM mods at least 4 times a day about spam threads.

If you wanted to go even further, there could be some way of showing if the user is a regular or not, and what forums they frequent. It could say "Flash Forum Regular" or something.

I hope I inspired you to put some of these ideas into action.

Winter Wacom 7

Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-09 19:47:08

I like it yes yes

Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-09 19:48:18

I like your idea of aura by what kind of user you are. The only thing is you'd it would probably lead to how it used to be, people picking a colour that they want and behaving good or bad to get that aura.

I suppose a way to combat this would to only have good descriptions to every colour of aura, but then what happens to those who spam and only give negative reviews?

This is just off the top of my head though, i'm sure you've already put quite a bit of thought into it :)

-J.Duchnycz

Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-09 20:04:14

At 12/9/09 07:42 PM, Archon68 wrote: Ideas ideas ideas

I would actually prefer Archon's way of thinking. It looks good, is recognizable, and could give any forum-going developer an idea as to what the artist can assist them with.

Thanks aplenty to Phobotech for the great user icon.

BBS Signature

Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-09 20:10:44

I fucking love him hes great!

BBS Signature

Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-09 20:22:02

At 12/9/09 04:50 PM, TomFulp wrote:
What if your aura represented the dominant content type you contribute to the site, such as movies, games, music, art, etc.

I would be sad to see the normal aura go, but i really like this idea. Maybe you could add something new or just tweak the aura a bit (i'm not sure how you would to be honest). I often find myself taking the time to see if an artists makes games, movies, both, or just spam (some users have over 500 submissions). It would be nice if i could tell right away how/what a user submits.

Fear Popo Bawa!!!

John Goodman | ¥

while(<>){chomp;print;}

Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-09 20:27:00

auras seem to be more of a personality thing, so that may not be a good idea to switch to. It might be a good idea to add more aura options in that vein, though. Also, the "prominent submission" thing may be a good idea, but give it it's won icon or something.

traintrack6

Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-09 20:30:22

I'd be down for the new aura change.

www.DuderEntertainment.com/ | Makin' Laughs and Kickin' Ass! >:3

BBS Signature

Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-09 20:33:13

I agree it's a cool idea but certain people like those GIRLS WITH COOTIES usually choose pink

or whatever. i donno its just another quick way to identify who is talking. and if its a bunch of people in art forum or in flash forum or audio forum, it'll be kinda hard to distinguish who's who. a good variety amongst the same kin is good for now i think

the events are merely fictional, written, directed, and acted out by all who create them

BBS Signature

Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-09 20:40:34

Users are often identified by their colour and level though, so because everyone in the art forum would most likely have an art colour and most people in the audio forum the audio colour and in the flash.......... there'd be too many of the same colour in on area.

At 12/9/09 05:16 PM, TomFulp wrote: Yeah one thought was you earn a color for every area you contribute in, so you could choose at that point.

This idea is better, but you should add colours for things that the people with out flash or any audio program can achieve. You should definently add more colours though :D

don't be late | Collab101 | Australian Users List | Nayhan's actionScript examples > click

Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-09 20:42:00

How about setting it up so that an aura is decided by which type of submissions they vote on? So that way people can still get the aura they want, Contribute to the site, And change it if they need. This way, If someone wants a dark aura they don't have to vote zero on a ton of submissions to get it. It would really encourage voting, And that helps the site.

For example, If someone wants the dark or evil aura, They simply go out and vote on submissions that are still under judgment. If someone wants the fab or light aura, They go out and vote on a bunch of front page submissions. This would help the site, And I can't really see how it could be harmful...

Biohasard, Staying neutral since 2009!

BBS Signature

Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-09 20:43:22

You should just add more aura colours and then make a seperate icon for the prominent submission!! :D

Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-09 20:47:57

At 12/9/09 05:38 PM, Autritisc wrote: Like this.. but better.. Also i hope you don't mind me using you aura tom.
At 12/9/09 07:42 PM, Archon68 wrote:

. Perhaps BELOW the user icon/aura, like pictured below.

It would display the Batting Average of the user, and their specialty. Some options for specialty could be:

- AS2 Programmer
- AS3 Programmer
- AS2/AS3 Programmer
- Animator
- Composer
- Artist (3D)
- Artist (Insert Drawing Style Here)
- Common Joe

I like both of these ideas, perhaps a combination of the two. For some of the options, such as the programming and artist ones, make them available to everyone, since it is harder to prove you're a programmer on this site. For flash, audio, and such, you could only make those open to people who have actually submitted movies, games, and stuff.

It would be good to have users choose the text displayed and the icon, though they have to unlock the icons through submitting stuff. I think that is a good alternative because it allows freedom for everyone. It might make posts a little longer in terms of space, but we shouldn't be contributing one line posts should we???

I don't know, more food for though for you guys.

Current Projects: Swimming Fiasco | Story of Gingie

BBS Signature

Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-09 20:57:04

The aura idea isn't a great one. It would lead to a higher percentage of "spam" submissions so that people could obtain the color they most desired.

The only way to counter that would to make the aura's color based on which single submission is the most successful or popular, but that would be a lopsided approach because flashes have primacy over music and art on this website.

I'd say leave it the way it is, Tom.

Find a mountain to stand on.

BBS Signature

Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-09 20:57:07

At 12/9/09 04:50 PM, TomFulp wrote: Browsing a list of users or a thread, you could quickly determine specialties by the color of the aura.

That would be great.

Congratulations to golfinho.

Sup, bitches :)

BBS Signature

Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-09 21:01:14

Congrats to golfinho! I've watched some of his movies in the past, and he deserves this because he's from Latin America!

That sounds like an interesting idea. But I don't want to end up with an aura I don't like just because of the things I do (i.e. fab aura for people who only participate in the BBS). Also I know people that like their aura so much that they would completely hate this new system (I think you have guessed that by some of the posts in this thread, lol).

At 12/9/09 05:16 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 12/9/09 04:56 PM, Thegluestickman wrote: I like the aura idea. Could you do it so you can switch your Aura to that or pick your own? Maybe have a special colour for people who contribute?
Yeah one thought was you earn a color for every area you contribute in, so you could choose at that point.

That sounds good too, but imagine someone who only knows how to make audio. He/She would only have one color to choose from :(

At 12/9/09 05:38 PM, Autritisc wrote: Haha i was waiting for him to get his tablet after the results of the treasure hunt Nice going golfinho!

And for the aura poll i have to say no leave them as they are but you could make like a little bar under the aura or maybe a square in the corner of the aura that have the icon representing dominant content a user submits or even maybe even a place for three squares that links you to the art work, flash or audio the user in question have submitted. Other than that my opinion is that most of the stuff on newgrounds already are perfect.

Like this.. but better.. Also i hope you don't mind me using you aura tom.

This idea is great. And if those pictures had links to the author's submissions, then at the same time it would be a nice way to promote them :)

To sum up, I want to be able to pick my own aura, but if you want us to be able to determine what people do just by seeing their posts, then you should go with Autritisc's idea :D

Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-09 21:02:03

The aura idea is a good one. But could users opt in/opt out of it? Or still pick from the original auras if they prefer?

EGB || NGPD || ART || NG SIG MAKER || WI/HT REGULAR ||

BBS Signature

Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-09 21:03:42

What about if the user is able to change the colour of their aura (eg, Dark, Light, Fab), but their specific contributions to whatever area on Newgrounds changes the way the aura looks (eg, if they vote mostly on movies or submit movies, then they have the light-beams[which the auras already have], but if they say contribute more to audio or something they can have 'wavy' beams, like radio waves, or if they contribute to art they can have bubbles or something

BBS Signature

Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-09 21:05:06

I would certainly enjoy that thing with the auras, have you thought of or has anyone mentiones anything about a gamer aura? that could add more value to the medals for some people, BTW is there a ranking on medal points? just curious...

Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-09 21:08:14

At 12/9/09 04:50 PM, TomFulp wrote: Today's Wacom tablet goes to golfinho!

Congrats dude!

What if your aura represented the dominant content type you contribute to the site, such as movies, games, music, art, etc.

It would be nice to identify a person by what they submit, but it would be best if it was something other than auras. I think someone mentioned using either additional text or additional icons to show what you contribute and I think that's a great idea. But for changing aura colors, I don't think you'd want thousands of users to flood the Portal just so they can change their aura.

Rev 22:20 || Wi/Ht? # 46 || Why was my review deleted? || Without her, we are lifeless satellites drifting.

BBS Signature

Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-09 21:17:51

Golfinhos is very SICK
look him flash!

Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-09 21:20:57

At 12/9/09 08:48 PM, AIRYman50 wrote: RANDOM SUGGESTION! You should make a newgrounds leaderboard thing so we dont have to put mochi ads in our games (or do you not have to put mochi ads or are you making one already and if you are whats the status?)

We actually had the first ever high score API back in 2000 but it got hacked to shit. Funny you mention that though because it's finally about to come back!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Winter Wacom 7 2009-12-09 21:35:37

At 12/9/09 09:20 PM, TomFulp wrote: We actually had the first ever high score API back in 2000 but it got hacked to shit. Funny you mention that though because it's finally about to come back!

may I ask, who hacked it?