New Topic Respond to this Topic
BBSreaper
BBSreaper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Influential bands/people Dec. 9th, 2009 @ 07:23 AM Reply

So I want some peoples opinions, Who you think are the people who have made the stepping stones of the music industrial today and in the past.

My choice would have to be Alice in chains with Layne Staley, he to me had carry the group with his vocals, not by screaming his head off, but by carry a harmony sort of voice, unlike some other grudge/hard rock groups. they to me set a new standard for music and rock for today.

so please share.

I do voice acting :D (be jealous of my Speed)

BBS Signature
SymbolCymbal
SymbolCymbal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
BBSreaper
BBSreaper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Influential bands/people Dec. 9th, 2009 @ 09:14 AM Reply

i belivie audio is a form of music, so I think im in the right place brah

BBS Signature
SymbolCymbal
SymbolCymbal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Influential bands/people Dec. 9th, 2009 @ 09:25 AM Reply

dont be a wise ass brah

This forum is a place where musicians from numerous different backgrounds can share their wisdom with other audio artists and users new to music. The emphasis is firmly on the creation of music rather than listening and appreciation. (Threads relating to your favorite song, band, or guitar solo will be deleted.) Other than that, we ask you to abide by the standard BBS Rules and remind you that discussion of software piracy in particular is forbidden on the NG forums.

and read the rues first brah

jarrydn
jarrydn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Influential bands/people Dec. 9th, 2009 @ 09:30 AM Reply

At 12/9/09 09:14 AM, BBSreaper wrote: i belivie audio is a form of music, so I think im in the right place brah

* Music is a form of audio

Either way, you're still in the wrong place. Take this to general, or at least the audio forum lounge.

Chozz
Chozz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Influential bands/people Dec. 9th, 2009 @ 09:34 AM Reply

At 12/9/09 09:14 AM, BBSreaper wrote: i belivie audio is a form of music, so I think im in the right place brah

If the topic has more stuff to do with studio production inspirations and what not, some producers on newgrounds might find an epiphany from a certain band.

Symbol, if you put this in general, the point of the topic would probably become corrupt, with flame wars, teenage punk bands e.t.c. Lets try and make this topic, what bands inspire you to produce music, and how? Or something like that.

For me, Nine Inch Nails trent reznor had a huge impact on me. He was my inspiration, because he is pretty much self produced ; he prooves that there are many routes you can take. I like how in his work, every sound seems to be thought about. Lately what's been inspiring me for some strange reason, is the band 'the gorillaz', I love the cheekiness of there sound haha.

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Influential bands/people Dec. 9th, 2009 @ 10:20 AM Reply

Someone hasn't read the rules.

Audio/BBS Mod
---News: Ask Me Anything (Answers Video!)---Music: Only The Beginning---
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
nathanallenpinard
nathanallenpinard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Influential bands/people Dec. 9th, 2009 @ 10:26 AM Reply

He's asking what bands do we think made stepping stones in the industry.

And we answer, and give a detailed reason why, that turns this into an audio production thread.

nathanallenpinard
nathanallenpinard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Influential bands/people Dec. 9th, 2009 @ 10:27 AM Reply

My choice would have to be Alice in chains with Layne Staley, he to me had carry the group with his vocals, not by screaming his head off, but by carry a harmony sort of voice, unlike some other grudge/hard rock groups. they to me set a new standard for music and rock for today.

Alice in Chains didn't really set a standard as much in terms of style though. In fact I'm willing to bet they were somewhat influenced by GnR. More like a modern GnR sound though (lead vocals for one). They ARE highly popular on the international charts, more than they ever were in the US.

Chozz
Chozz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Influential bands/people Dec. 9th, 2009 @ 11:59 AM Reply

At 12/9/09 10:27 AM, nathanallenpinard wrote:
Alice in Chains didn't really set a standard as much in terms of style though. In fact I'm willing to bet they were somewhat influenced by GnR. More like a modern GnR sound though (lead vocals for one). They ARE highly popular on the international charts, more than they ever were in the US.

I agree with that, around that time there were a lot of bands with the punky, sort of grunge rock sound. I'm sure many underdog bands around that time gave a lot of influence at that time.

I think the band sublime gave a huge influence on the ska/reggae/punk genre. It's amazing, because until the singer OD'd they weren't that popular.

nathanallenpinard
nathanallenpinard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Influential bands/people Dec. 9th, 2009 @ 12:06 PM Reply

At 12/9/09 11:59 AM, Chozz wrote:
I agree with that, around that time there were a lot of bands with the punky, sort of grunge rock sound. I'm sure many underdog bands around that time gave a lot of influence at that time.

I think the band sublime gave a huge influence on the ska/reggae/punk genre. It's amazing, because until the singer OD'd they weren't that popular.

True. That always happens within art. Which sucks lol.

However, weren't the first ska bands actaully bands like the Mighty Mighty Bosstones in terms of style? (horns seemed to be a require element at that time)

Also not as related, but Smash Mouth has got to be one of the more unique bands of this generation in terms of sounds and style.

Chozz
Chozz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Influential bands/people Dec. 9th, 2009 @ 12:40 PM Reply

Yeah it does suck haha, but it's probably a nice feeling when your that underdog and some band really becomes big because you were an influence to them. Velvet Underground is one of those bands that never really had commercial success, but were sited as extremely influential.

Smash mouth are wicked! They have a very cool sound. Another band thats influenced me, John Butler Trio. They make some really nice sort of folk, ska, acoustic stuff, with lyrics that touch on a subject of humanitarianism. I'd recommend a song called 'zebra'.

Grargh
Grargh
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Influential bands/people Dec. 10th, 2009 @ 07:28 PM Reply

Mike Patton and every band he's been in; Faith No More, Mister Bungle, Tomahawk, The EP he did with Dillinger Escape Plan (He showed those guys how to write melodies!), Peeping Tom. There's videos of him online now singing opera with an Italian classical orchestra. The man is a genius.

DJRAV3N
DJRAV3N
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Influential bands/people Dec. 11th, 2009 @ 03:40 PM Reply

Oasis, the beatles, metallica, rolling stones, blood hound gang

off the top of my head XD

I Am L3O, I Am the only Me there is Nobody Else
L3O's Soundcloud
Reverbnation

BBSreaper
BBSreaper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Influential bands/people Dec. 11th, 2009 @ 04:46 PM Reply

I would some what agree on that I believe Soundgarden and niravana had style taken but I have to say AIC HAD vocals, there no arguement there but i dont feel they were influenced by GnR, There somethign different between the vocals of GnR and AiC I cant decide atm, but insturment wise they could have been in that way but they also other in the mix, To me layne(before his death) had a one of kind voice that was more like a singer then a rock band(Terrible comperson but u get the point)

BBS Signature
Chozz
Chozz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Influential bands/people Dec. 12th, 2009 @ 07:43 PM Reply

Indeed, he did have a great voice, very unique. And it's cool cus he can put the emotion into songs that he didn't write (The guitarist wrote most of the songs).

I think Phil Anselmo is one of the most unique singers.