New Topic Respond to this Topic
Rampant
Rampant
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to Best Choir Vst? 2012-07-12 17:42:33 Reply

At 7/12/12 05:15 PM, NickPerrin wrote: I'm going to go ahead and say DO NOT go with EWQL choirs.

I use Symphonic Choirs, and I 100% agree with this statement. The WordBuilder is an absolute nightmare to use and the results you get from it just aren't worth the hours and hours of time spent tweaking. I tried writing one track of my Requiem Mass using WordBuilder, and it just didn't work.

If you're making big, epic tracks where the choir is layered in with plenty of other instruments, the results might be acceptable. But even then, there are other libraries that make it easier and quicker to get better results.

I use Voxos but I hear only good things about Requiem as well.

I'm not a fan of the UI of Requiem Pro: Voxos' layout is cleaner and more professional-looking, whereas Requiem's "Tome book" design looks like it was made by a goth amateur graphics design student.

Listening to their demos, I have to say that SoundIron's Mars - Epic Men's Chorus and Venus - Symphonic Women's Chorus also sound fantastic. Individually, the two libraries are cheaper than Voxos or Requiem, but if you want the full SATB, it will be slightly more expensive than both (unless their bundle is still in effect - in which case, you can get both for $569 - which is less than Voxos).

Another thing that's cool and unique about Mars and Venus is that they have Latin AND Slavonic. The Slavonic sounds REALLY cool, and you never know when a client will turn around and ask you to do something Russian-sounding! :P

BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Musician
Response to Best Choir Vst? 2012-07-12 22:49:03 Reply

At 7/12/12 05:15 PM, NickPerrin wrote:
At 12/9/09 01:57 PM, BrokenDeck wrote: If you want realistic choir samples, EWQL and Cubase is the only way to go. Word-builder will integrate smoothly into Cubase.
I'm going to go ahead and say DO NOT go with EWQL choirs. It is an outdated product. The word builder will not sound as good as you hope it will and it lacks the up-to-date legato tech of newer choir libraries as well as other dynamics control options - lots of noticeably awkward sounds even in the demos on their site.

In retrospect from nearly three years ago, I'm inclined to agree now. I've had shoddy performance and reliability from Word-builder ever since that post.

Uber necro BTW :P

NickPerrin
NickPerrin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Best Choir Vst? 2012-07-13 00:22:40 Reply

At 7/12/12 10:49 PM, BrokenDeck wrote: In retrospect from nearly three years ago, I'm inclined to agree now. I've had shoddy performance and reliability from Word-builder ever since that post.

LOL.

I didn't notice that at all. The absurd thread revival credit goes to TopherJ who must be interested in 2009.

Ah well, anyone looking for a good choir VST is on the right track now.

Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Best Choir Vst? 2012-07-13 05:55:06 Reply

Symphonic Choirs was the East/West VST I wanted the most. It seemed to have the nicest sound and unlike other Wordbuilders where there's just a matrix of phrases for you to choose, EWQL Choirs allows you to type down whatever you want the choirs to say.

But I guess now that I'm seeing this thread I'll have to reconsider. I want a Choirs VST with its own engine like the PLAY engine though (not VOXOS, for example, that uses Kontakt). Everything I load in Kontakt always seems SO much slower to load and use than sample libraries that have their own engine like East/West. I'm not much of a fan of how Kontakt handles sample libraries myself anyway. Are there any good choir VSTs out there that have their own engine?

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature
Rampant
Rampant
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to Best Choir Vst? 2012-07-13 09:39:18 Reply

At 7/13/12 05:55 AM, Step wrote: Are there any good choir VSTs out there that have their own engine?

Unless you're Hans Zimmer or Two Steps From Hell and can afford to design and build your own personal library, then I think you're pretty much limited to Kontakt or the PLAY engine.

It's odd that Kontakt runs slower for you than other engines, though; the control Kontakt gives you over everything (and the scripting that sample libraries can take advantage of) seems worth the wait.

Thinking about it, maybe Kontakt takes about the same time or a little longer to load for me, too, compared to PLAY. But I don't notice it because it loads in the background, as opposed to PLAY which stops everything when it loads a patch?

Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Best Choir Vst? 2012-07-13 11:33:32 Reply

At 7/13/12 09:39 AM, RampantMusik wrote: It's odd that Kontakt runs slower for you than other engines, though; the control Kontakt gives you over everything (and the scripting that sample libraries can take advantage of) seems worth the wait.

Thinking about it, maybe Kontakt takes about the same time or a little longer to load for me, too, compared to PLAY. But I don't notice it because it loads in the background, as opposed to PLAY which stops everything when it loads a patch?

I don't know. Kontakt stops everything for me and doesn't let me touch FL Studio until it's done loading the patch (if I click anywhere in the FL screen it plays the ding error sound). I was loading some VOXOS choirs to try them out the other day and the patches were taking ages to load.

The men's staccato phrase-builder patch, for example, took 15 minutes to load, which totally put me off from buying it. In PLAY the max amount of time I have to wait is, what, 5 seconds? Something's wrong there.

My friend says it's because my specs aren't enough for it since they're bad for today's standards but they really aren't that bad IMO. I've got 4 GB of RAM and a 2.7 GHz Pentium (R) Dual Core CPU.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature
NickPerrin
NickPerrin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Best Choir Vst? 2012-07-16 01:31:45 Reply

At 7/13/12 11:33 AM, Step wrote: The men's staccato phrase-builder patch, for example, took 15 minutes to load, which totally put me off from buying it. In PLAY the max amount of time I have to wait is, what, 5 seconds? Something's wrong there.

The VOXOS patches are rather large (especially the multis that let you select voices), but they shouldn't take that long to load. It's likely that the default DFD settings in PLAY are better optimized for you. You need to change how Kontakt divides the samples among HD and RAM.

Also, the first time you load an instrument it does up-front loading on big patches, but whenever you come back to it later it will load in the background. I never have to wait for VOXOS to load before my project file is up and running in Cubase if I'm returning to a project.

MaestroRage
MaestroRage
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Musician
Response to Best Choir Vst? 2012-07-16 16:21:56 Reply

At 7/16/12 01:31 AM, NickPerrin wrote:
At 7/13/12 11:33 AM, Step wrote: The men's staccato phrase-builder patch, for example, took 15 minutes to load, which totally put me off from buying it. In PLAY the max amount of time I have to wait is, what, 5 seconds? Something's wrong there.
The VOXOS patches are rather large (especially the multis that let you select voices), but they shouldn't take that long to load. It's likely that the default DFD settings in PLAY are better optimized for you. You need to change how Kontakt divides the samples among HD and RAM.

Also, the first time you load an instrument it does up-front loading on big patches, but whenever you come back to it later it will load in the background. I never have to wait for VOXOS to load before my project file is up and running in Cubase if I'm returning to a project.

This is a known issue for some libraries. Cinestrings used to take me, no word for a lie, 2 minutes per patch. Doesn't sound like much but you try sitting there and watching this loading bar for 2 minutes. Creative killer.

However. If you go to Kontakt. File -> Batch Save as, and click on the folder with the voxos patches it will resave the patches. This will cut down the wait time nearly to nothing. I am now loading up Voxos and Cinesamples at 1/50th the time.