• Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 2009-12-02 20:27:36 Reply

At 12/2/09 07:43 PM, Eammy wrote:
At 12/2/09 05:09 PM, TomFulp wrote:
To respond to that less sarcastically...

These tablets are given to Newgrounds contributors who show great promise and of the people who show great promise, I do give priority to those who have actually involved themselves with NG over the past year because those are the people most likely to use the tablets.

When someone without any Flash asks for a tablet, giving them a tablet is not going to make them suddenly have a passion for Flash.
When you give priority and give praise/ rewards towards those who engage in the Newgrounds community, it means that those people are more likely to create even better works for your site.

Well, yes and no. It means that they're more likely to create even better works for themselves, after they've already demonstrated what they can do here.

Newgrounds has always encouraged growth within its community, because that's what a good community does. If the artists who submit here then use Newgrounds' giveaways as a tool to promote further work here, then that's obviously a non-binding quid pro quo. It doesn't stop them using those rewards for other ventures.

At 12/2/09 06:23 PM, liljim wrote:
YEAH! Why should you be any part of anything on, or enthusiastic for Newgrounds in any way, to win a tablet from Newgrounds?!?!?!?! What kinda of sense does that make?
I couldn't care less about whether I gain a tablet or not. However, from what you just said, I can safely say that 'winning' requires me to become part of a community to deserve it. Obviously, this is a very selfish way of thinking, because the main goal here is to expand Newgrounds, under a facade of helping individuals grow.

No, the main goal here is to give tablets to those who have demonstrated that they have talent on Newgrounds and who have showcased their talent on Newgrounds. Are you suggesting that this kind of giveaway should be a lottery?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with encouraging community members to continue to contribute to said community by offering incentives to do so. And I really don't understand why this would bother you, if you "Couldn't care less about I [you] getting a tablet or not".

As for the "facade of helping individuals grow" comment. You're clearly unaware of just how many people Newgrounds has helped grow in and outside of the site in the past. I could write up a big list, but I'll give one example:

David Firth. He uploaded Scribbler first, which at the time, I hadn't seen. He then submitted Salad Fingers, which went largely un-noticed through the latest submissions list in the portal. I saw it, and front paged it, and it was a kinda runaway hit cult animation.

Since then, he's done a bunch more animations he's submitted to NG. All of that was without any incentives, like Wacom giveaways. The only incentive he had was that people liked his work.

Furthermore, Firth has gone on to do animations for the BBC here in the UK, amongst other endeavours.

Would that have happened without the exposure he'd gotten here on NG? Who knows.

Possibly, possibly not.

But the fact of the matter is that this is the place where he first got the springboard into the public domain. And I can't speak for him, but I'd guess that he would give some modicum of what he's achieved as being down to that initial (and continual) exposure that Newgrounds gives him.

Getting all wound up over something you don't care about really bewilders me, even if you think it's all a "facade". In fact, that makes even less sense to me.

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 2009-12-02 21:12:06 Reply

At 12/2/09 07:43 PM, Eammy wrote: I couldn't care less about whether I gain a tablet or not. However, from what you just said, I can safely say that 'winning' requires me to become part of a community to deserve it. Obviously, this is a very selfish way of thinking, because the main goal here is to expand Newgrounds, under a facade of helping individuals grow.

If I wanted to use the tablets as a tool to expand NG, I could find artists on other websites and offer them Wacom tablets in return for them participating in NG.

We're giving tablets to people who are already here and participating, so they can continue to grow as artists and as a way of saying thanks. It helps the existing community get better, and yes, it makes NG better as a whole. You can try to find the negative in every act anyone ever does for the rest of your life, but it's not going to stop people from trying to do good things. I understand that giving people tablets will in the long-term make NG a better place, but that doesn't make it selfish to give people tablets.

You are going to have a very difficult life if these are the issues that bother you.

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
Raiespio
Raiespio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Gamer
Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 2009-12-02 21:13:05 Reply

Yeah, like the admins said: learn flash so people will like your work, not so you can turn in a bunch of shitty submissions and try to win money. Actually, aren't people supposed to use the money for making their animations better, like getting a full flash suite? What people don't realize, is that people that know flash start from a gift, then advance it to a talent to make themselves better and thus, get their e-cred level high. (insert applicable meme here.)

Miracles happen.

BBS Signature
Mexifry
Mexifry
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 2009-12-02 21:16:39 Reply

At 12/2/09 09:12 PM, TomFulp wrote: You are going to have a very difficult life if these are the issues that bother you.

Well put.

Fawx
Fawx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 2009-12-02 21:25:52 Reply

tom

a tablet

needs

to go to this man

http://fede1920.newgrounds.com/

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 2009-12-02 21:27:03 Reply

At 12/2/09 09:16 PM, Mexifry wrote:
At 12/2/09 09:12 PM, TomFulp wrote: You are going to have a very difficult life if these are the issues that bother you.
Well put.

I already regret saying it because it wasn't a necessary part of the debate. Oh well I guess it makes NG more entertaining at the end of the day.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 2009-12-02 21:30:32 Reply

At 12/2/09 09:25 PM, Fawx wrote: a tablet

needs

to go to this man

Don't think he's contacted me but I PMed him to see what's up!

BBS Signature
Mexifry
Mexifry
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 2009-12-02 21:34:24 Reply

At 12/2/09 09:25 PM, Fawx wrote: tom

a tablet

needs

to go to this man

I completely agree.
Although he hasnt submitted alot of his new work to NG, his ability to animate w/o a tablet is simply beautiful.

At 12/2/09 09:27 PM, TomFulp wrote: I already regret saying it because it wasn't a necessary part of the debate. Oh well I guess it makes NG more entertaining at the end of the day.

You contribute so much to the community of this site that nobody has a right to complain. You're the CEO of NG and frankly, you don't HAVE to give out all this free shit.

But yeah you are right, it is funny.

Eammy
Eammy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Artist
Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 2009-12-02 21:46:26 Reply

liljim, to be honest, that was a really nice speech. I will now try to answer your questions...

The reason why I am bothered is because I feel there is a sense of bias towards devoted members. Tom said himself that he likes giving tablets to those who have gotten crotch-deep into NG. I think that is the wrong train of thought...

If I were Tom, and wanted to giveaway those very same tablets, I would rather choose people who have a lot of skill or talent, and it wouldn't matter to me whether they were members on Newgrounds or not. This way, those who got the tablet will spread the word that Newgrounds is a truly genuine site that truly cares about others. All sense of bias and corruption would be removed. Even if they were not members, they would be more inclined to join because of the no-catch gift. (Then the non-members might also get their other friends to join as well. It's a great sugar rush) And since I chose based on talents, I would get even more quality works on my site because I chose based on experience, and not devotion. Being a loyal member, an 'ass-kisser', is a worthless human being in my opinion. It may sound harsh, but that's just me. You can just simply ignore everything I say if you want.

Also, is it really because of that moment... where you just happened to find that animation 'Salad Fingers' , and you frontpaged it.... are you saying that it is because of that exposure that led to the chain of events that leads to his success today?

If so, then he must have been be pretty lucky. But it is not like this site was designed in the first place to help others grow. That is just a side-effect of the mass popularity of Newgrounds! Whether that is a good thing or a bad thing is a matter of opinion, however I will not dwell into those subjects.

I explained the reason I care in the first few sentences above...

Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 2009-12-02 21:48:53 Reply

At 12/2/09 04:15 PM, TomFulp wrote: This year I'm gonna be pro-active and announce something NOW, since by the time February rolls along I'll probably be brain-caged by the SPECIAL OPS PROJECT I've been training for. Now we ALL have something to be excited about!

is that what I think it is with whatshisname using whatsthatshit?

Eammy
Eammy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Artist
Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 2009-12-02 21:49:50 Reply

Whoops, Tom already beat me to it while I was typing haha. But I think I understand it more now.

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 2009-12-02 21:58:21 Reply

At 12/2/09 09:48 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote:
At 12/2/09 04:15 PM, TomFulp wrote: This year I'm gonna be pro-active and announce something NOW, since by the time February rolls along I'll probably be brain-caged by the SPECIAL OPS PROJECT I've been training for. Now we ALL have something to be excited about!
is that what I think it is with whatshisname using whatsthatshit?

I'm also jogging three miles a day to build proper stamina and avoid burnout.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 2009-12-02 22:08:17 Reply

At 12/2/09 09:46 PM, Eammy wrote: The reason why I am bothered is because I feel there is a sense of bias towards devoted members. Tom said himself that he likes giving tablets to those who have gotten crotch-deep into NG. I think that is the wrong train of thought...

In defense of that statement, I said, "I really like giving Wacom tablets to people who have gotten crotch-deep into NG.", I didn't say "I only give Wacom tablets to people who have gotten crotch-deep into NG."

In general I like seeing people participate in the full NG experience. It's one thing to come here and watch stuff, it's another to come here and submit something... But it's something much much greater when you actually start collaborating with the people you meet on NG. On one level it might be as part of a big collab, but I get most excited when I see an animator team up with a writer and a voice actor (or any other similar combination). It makes me feel good because it means that creation, that partnership and that potentially life-long friendship exists because those people met here on NG and decided to make something together. That's NG at it's best.

So while I don't only give Wacoms to those people, I do like it when I get to give them Wacoms.

BBS Signature
Eammy
Eammy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Artist
Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 2009-12-02 22:27:01 Reply

Now that you explained it like that, I can fully understand what you are trying to do. Thanks for clearing that up. Simply put, you are trying to care for your own community.

Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 2009-12-02 22:42:54 Reply

i think the real question is what does newgrounds' crotch smell like?

None

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 2009-12-02 22:44:31 Reply

At 12/2/09 10:42 PM, Luis wrote: i think the real question is what does newgrounds' crotch smell like?

The combined crotches of everyone on the forums.

BBS Signature
Synnxile
Synnxile
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Writer
Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 2009-12-02 22:47:47 Reply

At 12/2/09 10:44 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 12/2/09 10:42 PM, Luis wrote: i think the real question is what does newgrounds' crotch smell like?

wow, that would be really grotesque

fuck

ilikeblamingcrap
ilikeblamingcrap
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Gamer
Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 2009-12-02 23:28:49 Reply

At 12/2/09 10:47 PM, Synnxile wrote:
At 12/2/09 10:44 PM, TomFulp wrote:
wow, that would be really grotesque

EEEEEEEWWWWWWW. There must be A LOOOOOT of sperm then.

Leprechaun59
Leprechaun59
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 2009-12-03 01:33:05 Reply

sounds cool

Starogre
Starogre
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Artist
Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 2009-12-03 02:22:35 Reply

wacom tablets are great free gifts.

don't hate! appreciate!

the events are merely fictional, written, directed, and acted out by all who create them

BBS Signature
IllmortaL
IllmortaL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 2009-12-03 03:24:43 Reply

hey tom..... i honestly think that these artists NEED a tablet

You may suck my dick faggot

someone-else
someone-else
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 2009-12-03 04:36:58 Reply

Congrats RedHarvest on the wacom.

int experience, posts;
while(experience/10 >= posts)
{posts++};

LordHayden
LordHayden
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 2009-12-03 06:03:14 Reply

Personally, I didn't care for the Disney Collab AT ALL.
And I'm sure that RedHarvest has a tablet already.

I the werewolf have spoken and let my words be the truth.

Rucklo
Rucklo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Audiophile
Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 2009-12-03 06:21:14 Reply

At 12/2/09 10:08 PM, TomFulp wrote: ...I get most excited when I see an animator team up with a writer and an AUDIO ARTIST voice actor (or any other similar combination).

i do maek fixd yuot post tom. You very well know you're not allowed to neglect any part of NG or everyone who feel neglected including myself will go WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HH and then o the mandatory wrist-slitting whilst mixing the blood on the keyboard with some salty tasty tears of neglegation.

If I had Flash i'd make an animation out of that, I think it makes alot of sense and would be very beautiful to watch.

NG BBS CROTCH COMBIIINNNEEE!!!

Join the Newgrounds Battlefield 3 Platoon (for PC)! DON'T ASK WHAT YOUR GAME CAN DO FOR YOU, ASK WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR, UH, NEWGROUNDS! ON BATTLEFIELD 3. eh...

gumOnShoe
gumOnShoe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 2009-12-03 08:30:56 Reply

At 12/2/09 04:39 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 12/2/09 04:34 PM, ilikeblamingcrap wrote: That is mother fucking awesome. ALL OF IT. BTW is the PO3 event gonna be yearly? I'd like it to be because it's awesome.
I intend for Po3 to be yearly because we are still wrapping up the megalithic system that was intended to launch during Po3 this fall... With that out of the way, the next Po3 should be fucktastical.

Please tell me its an online versioning system for flash and content collaboration.
Please tell me its an online versioning system for flash and content collaboration.

Newgrounds Anthology? 20,000 Word Max. [Submit]

Music? Click Sig:

BBS Signature
Synnxile
Synnxile
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Writer
Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 2009-12-03 10:21:52 Reply

At 12/2/09 10:08 PM, TomFulp wrote:
...I get most excited when I see an animator team up with a writer

i've just been waiting for the chance..i would love to screenwrite for a talented animator. I don't post most of my things online, though. I just think of them. I've written some down in a notebook before and had my friends read them. they enjoyed them quite some bit.

fuck

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 2009-12-03 11:01:23 Reply

At 12/3/09 08:30 AM, gumOnShoe wrote: Please tell me its an online versioning system for flash and content collaboration.

:)

BBS Signature
Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 2009-12-03 12:03:19 Reply

At 12/3/09 11:01 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 12/3/09 08:30 AM, gumOnShoe wrote: Please tell me its an online versioning system for flash and content collaboration.
)

get back in your cage Tom.

None

gumOnShoe
gumOnShoe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 2009-12-03 12:52:14 Reply

At 12/3/09 11:01 AM, TomFulp wrote:
)

Gah!

And now I'll be tormented at even the hope of it being that until whatever it is is released.

I'd be happy if it were a lit portal too.

Newgrounds Anthology? 20,000 Word Max. [Submit]

Music? Click Sig:

BBS Signature