Respond to this Topic
Eammy
Eammy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Artist
Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 Dec. 2nd, 2009 @ 05:00 PM Reply

What? You have to be a Newgrounds obsessive to win a tablet?

Looks like there isn't much merit on personal achievement. Rather... it is how much of a loyal member you are. Newgrounds is so self-absorbed and ego-centric...

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 Dec. 2nd, 2009 @ 05:01 PM Reply

At 12/2/09 04:43 PM, Rucklo wrote: i think somone forgot to mention something about that the music in the games preferably should be from the NG AP... :3

By the power of my secret edit button, that is no longer true!

I included commercial sprites for good measure. Now I'm thinking I should start some threads for people who want to volunteer services and all that stuff.

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
Hulalaoo
Hulalaoo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 Dec. 2nd, 2009 @ 05:01 PM Reply

RedHarvest! IS A NIGGEHR !

BUT I LIIKE HIS WORK, IS A EXELENT ANIMATOR AND A GOOD GUY

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 Dec. 2nd, 2009 @ 05:03 PM Reply

At 12/2/09 04:46 PM, Yrtnej wrote: Gee, Tom, only five prizes? Don't you normally offer consolation prizes (AKA store money, etc)?

Lately I've been really cautious about the economy, so I prefer to set a minimum and then surprise people if things go well. BUT I know that sorta backfires in that more people may participated if better motivated... oh whoops blew my brains out ttyl

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 Dec. 2nd, 2009 @ 05:04 PM Reply

At 12/2/09 05:00 PM, Eammy wrote: What? You have to be a Newgrounds obsessive to win a tablet?

Looks like there isn't much merit on personal achievement. Rather... it is how much of a loyal member you are. Newgrounds is so self-absorbed and ego-centric...

Yeah because I keep giving tablets to shitty artists who are obsessed with NG and not people who make lots of good stuff. You got me there!

BBS Signature
Mexifry
Mexifry
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 Dec. 2nd, 2009 @ 05:04 PM Reply

At 12/2/09 05:03 PM, TomFulp wrote: Lately I've been really cautious about the economy, so I prefer to set a minimum and then surprise people if things go well. BUT I know that sorta backfires in that more people may participated if better motivated... oh whoops blew my brains out ttyl

Better be safe than sorry!
It's better to have money than it is to give it all away and shut down the site.
lol

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 Dec. 2nd, 2009 @ 05:09 PM Reply

At 12/2/09 05:00 PM, Eammy wrote: What? You have to be a Newgrounds obsessive to win a tablet?

To respond to that less sarcastically...

These tablets are given to Newgrounds contributors who show great promise and of the people who show great promise, I do give priority to those who have actually involved themselves with NG over the past year because those are the people most likely to use the tablets.

When someone without any Flash asks for a tablet, giving them a tablet is not going to make them suddenly have a passion for Flash.

BBS Signature
Peter213
Peter213
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 Dec. 2nd, 2009 @ 05:10 PM Reply

Very generous of your part Tom.
I'm gonna ask a tablet myself for X-mas.

citricsquid
citricsquid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 Dec. 2nd, 2009 @ 05:10 PM Reply

At 12/2/09 04:48 PM, Jezuz wrote: I didn't say I would be a good programmer, now did I? You're like a giant black plague of dick rolling across the plains of Newgrounds. Not literal dick, just, asshole dick. The kind you don't want to be around. Fuck I hate you :)

No, but you said you should get into programming for the money. I'm saying fuck off you'd be shit if you're doing it just for the money.

also at least I didn't lose clive you dirty crack whore

ilikeblamingcrap
ilikeblamingcrap
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Gamer
Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 Dec. 2nd, 2009 @ 05:11 PM Reply

At 12/2/09 05:10 PM, Peter213 wrote: Very generous of your part Tom.
I'm gonna ask a tablet myself for X-mas.

Ditto.

Fierras
Fierras
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 Dec. 2nd, 2009 @ 05:19 PM Reply

Flixel looks very promising. I've been messing with it for a couple of weeks now.

Jezuz
Jezuz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 Dec. 2nd, 2009 @ 05:24 PM Reply

At 12/2/09 05:10 PM, citricsquid wrote:
No, but you said you should get into programming for the money. I'm saying fuck off you'd be shit if you're doing it just for the money.

For the money? I would work at Google for free if that's how it is. That is, if I did in fact think I'd ever be good at something that monotonous.

I think I still have Clive, I think. Was going to send out, then we were all lolevicted and he got lost. Was going to sell him for drug money but I got clean. Off of crack, at least.

BBS Signature
ForNoReason
ForNoReason
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Voice Actor
Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 Dec. 2nd, 2009 @ 05:24 PM Reply

At 12/2/09 04:39 PM, TomFulp wrote: fucktastical.

new favorite word.

II II lI

BBS Signature
zuperxtreme
zuperxtreme
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 Dec. 2nd, 2009 @ 05:35 PM Reply

At 12/2/09 04:41 PM, ragneos wrote: seriously tom, do i need action script to use flixel? and if so is actionscript free?

Find out what Flex is, find out what Flixel is, then come back...

Congrats to the winner. :D

I might look into Flixel, my birthday is in February and 1000 USD wouldn't come bad. ;P

BBS Signature
Mexifry
Mexifry
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 Dec. 2nd, 2009 @ 05:40 PM Reply

He's giving shit away for free and you find a reason to complain.
wow.

bocodamondo
bocodamondo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Animator
Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 Dec. 2nd, 2009 @ 05:41 PM Reply

bambiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiii !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

redhearvet is awesome LOL xD

Watch This Or You Will Die

also NVIDIA GeForce G210M

BBS Signature
doubleone
doubleone
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 Dec. 2nd, 2009 @ 05:41 PM Reply

Flixel looks pretty good. I might try it.

Spite
Spite
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 Dec. 2nd, 2009 @ 06:04 PM Reply

congrats to RedHarvest!

BBS Signature
Starogre
Starogre
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Artist
Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 Dec. 2nd, 2009 @ 06:15 PM Reply

it's really great to see Flixel being used. it's even greater to see Adam Atomic encouraging its use and releasing it for free. I think that's very important to getting the masses into creating their own original game ideas without needing too much complex coding experience, etc.

and with the releases of professional game engines, game design is really growing as an artistic medium

the events are merely fictional, written, directed, and acted out by all who create them

BBS Signature
Racoonmario
Racoonmario
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Blank Slate
Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 Dec. 2nd, 2009 @ 06:21 PM Reply

Hey Tom, any idea when the store will have some Dr.Fetus shirts in L available again? I wanna snag one.

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

BBS Signature
liljim
liljim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 Dec. 2nd, 2009 @ 06:23 PM Reply

YEAH! Why should you be any part of anything on, or enthusiastic for Newgrounds in any way, to win a tablet from Newgrounds?!?!?!?! What kinda of sense does that make?

Wurmy
Wurmy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Programmer
Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 Dec. 2nd, 2009 @ 06:29 PM Reply

Oho, I will surely have to submit something for that Flixel challenge. When you first announced the Flixel competition I took a look at Flixel but brushed it off.. Recently I decided to actually give Flixel a try.. Boy, was I wrong.

Flixel really is a wonderful little engine (once you get the hang of it). I've managed to make some little games (nothing portal worthy). Now I will definitely have to buckle down and make a real game with Flixel.

BBS Signature
UberCream
UberCream
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Animator
Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 Dec. 2nd, 2009 @ 06:38 PM Reply

I'm excited about the up and coming Flixel games. Also, that picture with the truck got me hard... candy, since I showed it to my friend, who thought it was cool. It got him in good spirits, making him generous enough to give me some hard candy.

"I'm in love with UberCream." - Max Gilardi.

JKMonkey
JKMonkey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Art Lover
Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 Dec. 2nd, 2009 @ 07:11 PM Reply

Yeah I've been noticing that February is a pretty depressing month too, great idea there Tom! :)

|"My dick was in the Guinness Boom of World Records... Then I left the library.|

BBS Signature
ThePortalGuru
ThePortalGuru
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 Dec. 2nd, 2009 @ 07:25 PM Reply

With the release of Level Up and Canabalt, Flixel has become an incredible tool for developers. I can't wait to see the games that come out of this.

Thanks aplenty to Phobotech for the great user icon.

BBS Signature
Jinx-Studios
Jinx-Studios
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 Dec. 2nd, 2009 @ 07:27 PM Reply

At 12/2/09 04:15 PM, TomFulp wrote: by the SPECIAL OPS PROJECT I've been training for.

WAIT, wait, WHAT, WAIT, WHAT?

Don't be STOOPID!

BBS Signature
Eammy
Eammy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Artist
Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 Dec. 2nd, 2009 @ 07:43 PM Reply

At 12/2/09 05:09 PM, TomFulp wrote:
To respond to that less sarcastically...

These tablets are given to Newgrounds contributors who show great promise and of the people who show great promise, I do give priority to those who have actually involved themselves with NG over the past year because those are the people most likely to use the tablets.

When someone without any Flash asks for a tablet, giving them a tablet is not going to make them suddenly have a passion for Flash.

When you give priority and give praise/ rewards towards those who engage in the Newgrounds community, it means that those people are more likely to create even better works for your site.

At 12/2/09 06:23 PM, liljim wrote:
YEAH! Why should you be any part of anything on, or enthusiastic for Newgrounds in any way, to win a tablet from Newgrounds?!?!?!?! What kinda of sense does that make?

I couldn't care less about whether I gain a tablet or not. However, from what you just said, I can safely say that 'winning' requires me to become part of a community to deserve it. Obviously, this is a very selfish way of thinking, because the main goal here is to expand Newgrounds, under a facade of helping individuals grow.

Jinx-Studios
Jinx-Studios
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 Dec. 2nd, 2009 @ 07:46 PM Reply

I'm an absolute inchworm at ANYTHING ActionScript-related, but wtf, I might as well give it a shot.

Don't be STOOPID!

BBS Signature
Kreepman
Kreepman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 Dec. 2nd, 2009 @ 07:49 PM Reply

At 12/2/09 04:48 PM, Jezuz wrote:

I lol'd

knugen
knugen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Programmer
Response to Flixel February, Wacom #2 Dec. 2nd, 2009 @ 08:06 PM Reply

Flixel is definitely interesting, I spent some time experimenting with it after you first plugged it and you can easily put together big parts of a game in a matter of hours. What eventually turned me off was how I seemed to be very restricted, modding even small parts of the engine to fit my needs seemed to cost me the compatibility with newer revisions of it almost no matter how I did it.

I always intended to get back on it eventually though, and this contest seems like a good reason to do so :) Perhaps some improvements have been made since I last had my hands on it.