00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Sk8er-Gaius15 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ng Hip Hop Competition

5,251 Views | 66 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Ng Hip Hop Competition 2009-11-29 15:49:01

This thread is for people who like hip hop. Please do not litter it with rants and raves about your devine tastes in music and why rap is crap.

Top 'o the morning to you all!

If you haven't noticed, among the beeps and boops of NES music and the clash of metal guitar solos there lies a growing community of hip hop artists on Newgrounds. If you are unfamiliar with them check the following two links out:
MindChamber - Newgrounds' #1 HipHop Artist?
MPZ - List of people. D: 11/12/09

I think what NG hip hop needs to build the community is a competition. I was thinking of organizing a week long event sometime in the spring with multiple contests and challenges. A hip hop festival if you will. Right now I need help brainstorming ideas for contests. Be creative and give me some good ideas!

Here are the ideas I've had so far:

Sample Battle
A preset package of samples is provided to producers and they have a given time period to make a song using the samples, and only the samples.

Rap Battles
Not much to say. Put the MC's in a cage until only one comes out.

Beatboxing
I know I've heard some beatboxers on NG, they could each be given an allocated time to impress us with their versatile mouths.

Time Trials
Producers and MC's are paired up and given a limited amount of time to write a song together. Possibly the first and the last lines will be given to the MC or something similar.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Hip Hop Competition 2009-11-29 15:51:57

Animation
The songs produced could then be given to animators who animate the songs within a limited time period.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Hip Hop Competition 2009-11-29 16:02:44

At 11/29/09 03:51 PM, tingtonger wrote: Animation
The songs produced could then be given to animators who animate the songs within a limited time period.

This idea seems bad. Not every animator is available all the time. How about a competition where the hip hop artists remake an childrens song, like mary had a little lamb or the itsy bitsy spider or something?

Besides, it's been an idea I had for a competition for the longest.

Response to Ng Hip Hop Competition 2009-11-29 16:09:18

Keep in mind, if you respect the community here they will respect you. No need to be butthurt that a review request thread for a specific genre was locked.

beep

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Hip Hop Competition 2009-11-29 16:29:18

At 11/29/09 04:02 PM, NozNox wrote:
This idea seems bad. Not every animator is available all the time. How about a competition where the hip hop artists remake an childrens song, like mary had a little lamb or the itsy bitsy spider or something?

Besides, it's been an idea I had for a competition for the longest.

That's why you tell them the dates far in advance, and animators who are free during that time will sign up. I'm not too sure I'm keen on the childrens song remake, there was already a Children's Song contest on NG.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Hip Hop Competition 2009-11-29 16:44:45

Oh okay, thats cool. What about creating a song with a certain theme to it?

Strychnine and cyanide. A healthy part of this complete breakfast.

Response to Ng Hip Hop Competition 2009-11-29 16:53:05

Yeah, I think that could be part of the time trails. The producers will be given a theme.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Hip Hop Competition 2009-11-29 17:22:35

Wazzup! xD The ideas seem good so far! Just don't leave out the people who don't sample. There should some contest for them, where no samples are allowed. Also, because I do both, it gives me more to do! xD

Smoke me, I'm dope.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Hip Hop Competition 2009-11-29 17:35:39

The time trials don't have to be sampled. Maybe alongside the sample battle though there would be another one without using samples, or we will supply only the drumbeat and everything else has to be recorded live or VSTs.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Hip Hop Competition 2009-11-29 19:06:02

this actually sounds kinda fun!. keep the ideas goin people!

Response to Ng Hip Hop Competition 2009-11-29 20:03:49

Tag Team Beat Battle

teams of 2 Collaborate on Beats to take on other teams.

DJ Rap Battle

(Very Rare and not to brag but i may be the only one on NG with this Talent) DJs using vocal samples (that were not Previously Rap or Poetry) to battle each other lyricaly. VOCAL SAMPLES MUST RHYME!!!

Cypher

Non Competition...just fun! MCs just rip a Single beat provided by a DJ and Pass it around in Circles taking turns.

Guild War

Each respecting Guild within the Hip hop community (For example: [Kiss Our Asses], Venrillo, and Real Over Fake Records.) Make Theme songs representing there NewGrounds Hip hop Team

Domestic Violence

Boys vs Girls Battle

East Coast vs West Coast

Hip Hop Artists from there respective Coasts Battle and Diss people from the other side. Artists must use Beats from NewGrounds and the Producer/DJ must be from the Same Coast.

Mash Up Contest

Using Accapellas from Famouse artists outside of NG, Create Beats and put there raps on it (No FL Studio Defualt Raps alowed)

-----------I thot about all this in a few seconds....just some ideas here and there. If u dont like em dont use em.

DJ Delinquent. Musically Performing Armed Robbery

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Hip Hop Competition 2009-11-29 21:58:16

Wicked!

I'm not really familiar with many other hip hop competitions, but those would be a great place to look for ideas. I know of Scribble Jam, I'll do some sifting through it later on.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Hip Hop Competition 2009-11-29 22:34:17

gotta have them freestyles, altho never kno when some1 cheats. But I guess you gotta leave the crowd to decide on that, keep me posted on what's going on

Ng Hip Hop Competition

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Hip Hop Competition 2009-11-29 22:35:11

my predictions for the winners

1. chronamut
2. me
3. who cares

Response to Ng Hip Hop Competition 2009-11-29 23:05:21

At 11/29/09 10:34 PM, Broken-Needle wrote: gotta have them freestyles, altho never kno when some1 cheats. But I guess you gotta leave the crowd to decide on that, keep me posted on what's going on

Meh, I think it's pointless to even try and freestyle over the internet unless its streaming live, which is just a pain to organize. I was thinking of giving short periods of time to write and record, say 30 minutes or less.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Hip Hop Competition 2009-11-30 06:49:20

ILL SAMPLE SHIT HUFFFFF

Response to Ng Hip Hop Competition 2009-11-30 07:01:49

I'm down for time trials.
Wanna do some hiphop in Bomfunk MC's style.

Response to Ng Hip Hop Competition 2009-11-30 11:36:17

No need to sign up yet, we're still not sure what events will be happening. Post feedback on what events you like and any new ideas you may have for now!

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Hip Hop Competition 2009-12-01 03:30:43

is it going to be open to anyone to join or is there going to be like some panel of judges comprised of ng users deciding who gets to participate

Response to Ng Hip Hop Competition 2009-12-01 12:14:40

I think it's fine if anyone joins. There may be specific events that people are selected for, but for most of the contests anyone can hop in.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Hip Hop Competition 2009-12-01 16:55:47

So wait is this the contest or a discussion about what the contest is going to look like?

Keeping it real with fake computer music since 2006

Spotify

Lime Tea

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Hip Hop Competition 2009-12-01 17:03:16

At 12/1/09 04:55 PM, Syntrus wrote: So wait is this the contest or a discussion about what the contest is going to look like?

i think it's the latter, and will turn into the contest once they figure out all the details.

Response to Ng Hip Hop Competition 2009-12-01 22:41:13

Well, there's an art section, so why don't you have some artists post up some graffiti. set a theme (maybe newgrounds itself) and winner is chosen by ?????......just an idea.

Response to Ng Hip Hop Competition 2009-12-02 01:25:20

Yeah, I was thinking of that too. I think it'd be wicked, I just want to make sure we don't over stretch ourselves.

An idea I had was to have the final product submitted to the Newgrounds flash portal. This would have all of the top music, and possibly it could be set to pictures from the art portal.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Hip Hop Competition 2009-12-02 01:53:10

You think you know music, well this is on the front line of the revolutionary, Soldja D straight from Mobile, Alabama. Check it.

Soldja D - Freestyle

Response to Ng Hip Hop Competition 2009-12-02 02:18:30

At 12/2/09 01:53 AM, kleptolord wrote: You think you know music, well this is on the front line of the revolutionary

Stay on topic please.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Hip Hop Competition 2009-12-03 11:23:58

Hey what about us artists who dont sample?

Foreign Invasion:

Producers such as my self who are from U.K or else were aprt from U.S, face off against U.S producers and see who wins.

Were Yu From:

Different music groups such as KOA, Ventrilio blah blah... compete against each other in numerous beat challanges both Sampled and Original.. and like Delinquent sed make a theme for your set..

Da Remix:

A group of producers/DJs are given the same song to remix... they can sample or start from scratch..

King of The Hill:

A sort of Kockout round, different MCs are picked out of a hat to compete against each other. Going from round 5/4/3/2/1 Semi Final.. On each round the MCs who are paired with each other have to use rap to the same beat..

Tounge Twista:
MCs are pitted against ech other in a time trial were they must make an impressive 16bar rap.. that will be rated outta 5.

Old Skool vs Modern:

5 Producers from HH Modern and HH Old Skool compete aginst each other in a sample battle and originality battle.. if its a draw from there.. they will be told to remix a song.. the side wit the most points wins..

HAHA

-¦- CKC -¦-

IMA KONQUER THE WORLD

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Hip Hop Competition 2009-12-03 11:37:59

I totally support this. Why not give each participant a message they have to deliver through their performance?
It takes rap and Hip-Hop back to what they first intended to do and gives the guys a contest and purpose for their tracks.

You could also do a crew collab battle. People form diferent regions of the world (Europe, Asia, US etc.) join together and battle aginst the other regions.

Response to Ng Hip Hop Competition 2009-12-03 15:15:54

I'd be down for this

~Mike~

Response to Ng Hip Hop Competition 2009-12-03 23:14:50

Since this is a Website. Not in person. the battle thought? i dont see how u can Truthfully hear a freestyle on MP3. with out it being pre written. get what im sayin? The only thing i can see working is.
A "Theme Battle"
Pick a Theme and have all the artists Write songs to it and Producers have to create a sound for.
Possibly pair a Producer up with an Artist
and that way Both sides of the music can be recognized and given respect if due.
Set a deadline.
and all Tracks will be uploaded with the names of the Team. (Producer/Artist)
that will be your winner...
Cause u cant really have an artist go up against a producer...
its not the same level.
So think about that.
i'll most def join up on that.
i already know which producer i'd team up with.
Stay up!

Check my music out if u get the chance.
Thx fam.
{Keep it Fire To Burn The Bugs off}

~Rymix

Ng Hip Hop Competition