New Topic Respond to this Topic
KeithHybrid
KeithHybrid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Dissenting opinions = trolling? Nov. 27th, 2009 @ 01:29 PM Reply

I'm noticing a trend here in Video Games: anybody who offers a dissenting opinion to what is generally agreed upon in the forums is called out as a troll.

Case in point 1: One forum poster believes Shadow the Hedgehog, and some other games, were not as bad as reviews made them out to be. First person to reply calls the topic OP a troll.

Case in point 2: Another forum poster ddeconstructs the criticisms behind the Wii. He was called out as a troll by the second post.

Y'guys know what? I liked Sonic 2006. Sure it wasn't great, but I found it to be a fun, enjoyable game overall. Does that mean I'm a troll, too? >:(

When all else fails, blame the casuals!

BBS Signature
ArmouredGRIFFON
ArmouredGRIFFON
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Reader
Response to Dissenting opinions = trolling? Nov. 27th, 2009 @ 01:39 PM Reply

No it makes you a bender.

Your friendly neighbourhood devils advocate.

BBS Signature
Chdonga
Chdonga
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Game Developer
Response to Dissenting opinions = trolling? Nov. 27th, 2009 @ 01:43 PM Reply

I too agree that Shadow the Hedgehog was not an abortion. The only reason everyone accused supperman of being a troll is that he cut off his post halfway and posted a picture of Bill Cosby and admitted he was trolling.

BBS Signature
KeithHybrid
KeithHybrid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Dissenting opinions = trolling? Nov. 27th, 2009 @ 01:46 PM Reply

At 11/27/09 01:43 PM, Chdonga wrote: I too agree that Shadow the Hedgehog was not an abortion. The only reason everyone accused supperman of being a troll is that he cut off his post halfway and posted a picture of Bill Cosby and admitted he was trolling.

Alright, that may have been a bad example. What I said still holds true, though: around these parts, you either maintain the status quo, or you're a troll.

When all else fails, blame the casuals!

BBS Signature
supperman2
supperman2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Dissenting opinions = trolling? Nov. 27th, 2009 @ 01:49 PM Reply

At 11/27/09 01:39 PM, ArmouredGRIFFON wrote: No it makes you a bender.

Hey! I find that offensive.

Dissenting opinions = trolling?

BBS Signature
Gustavos
Gustavos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Dissenting opinions = trolling? Nov. 27th, 2009 @ 01:58 PM Reply

But how else can be increase the size of our E-penises?

HOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWW???????????????

???

I usually frequent the VG and collaboration Forums. If you find me anywhere else, I'm lost and can't find my way back.

supperman2
supperman2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Dissenting opinions = trolling? Nov. 27th, 2009 @ 01:59 PM Reply

At 11/27/09 01:43 PM, Chdonga wrote: The only reason everyone accused supperman of being a troll is that he cut off his post halfway and posted a picture of Bill Cosby and admitted he was trolling.

Yes it was a joke thread, because those types of threads are everywhere and I was making fun of them, but the points still stand.

BBS Signature
Gustavos
Gustavos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Dissenting opinions = trolling? Nov. 27th, 2009 @ 02:00 PM Reply

Oh, silly me. I forgot to add that this is not a trend here only in these video game forums. Any forums or online gatherings of people that could be considered as slightly "hardcore" or elite, will act the same way. It's all part of how people agree with the user with the most posts. Again, not just on Newgrounds. It's kissing the ass of the most popular guys. Just like elementary school.

I usually frequent the VG and collaboration Forums. If you find me anywhere else, I'm lost and can't find my way back.

Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Dissenting opinions = trolling? Nov. 27th, 2009 @ 02:24 PM Reply

Some people have a hard time spotting a genuine troll, and those people are deathly afraid of being caught out.

Therefore they accuse people of trolling left and right so as to make sure they never be seen falling into somebody's trap.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature
Zetvirus55
Zetvirus55
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Dissenting opinions = trolling? Nov. 27th, 2009 @ 02:28 PM Reply

To answer the original question:

Yes

Any opinions contrary to any other person's is automatically wrong, nowadays you cannot exist on the internet without being a troll

The fact that everybody is entitled to their own opinion means nothing

DEEZNUTS

ZJ
ZJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to Dissenting opinions = trolling? Nov. 27th, 2009 @ 10:44 PM Reply

Trolling is just a matter of perspective.

Of course, the mods have their own perspective, along with banning powers, so we just follow them.

It's not a perfect system, but it works...

Sig by Some Guy - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, and Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo & Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
Chdonga
Chdonga
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Game Developer
Response to Dissenting opinions = trolling? Nov. 27th, 2009 @ 10:49 PM Reply

At 11/27/09 10:44 PM, puddinN64 wrote: Trolling is just a matter of perspective.

But it is easy to tell the difference between "I think Halo sucks, but I still play it with my friends." and "HALO IS FUCKING GAY AND ANYONE WHO LIKES IT LIKES THESE (posts picture of horribly disfigured penis)"

BBS Signature
AlbinoTitan
AlbinoTitan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Dissenting opinions = trolling? Nov. 27th, 2009 @ 10:58 PM Reply

At 11/27/09 10:49 PM, Chdonga wrote:
At 11/27/09 10:44 PM, puddinN64 wrote: Trolling is just a matter of perspective.
But it is easy to tell the difference between "I think Halo sucks, but I still play it with my friends." and "HALO IS FUCKING GAY AND ANYONE WHO LIKES IT LIKES THESE (posts picture of horribly disfigured penis)"

Trolling is much funner than giving a good and fair opinion that looks at every side of an argument.

CompleteDouche
CompleteDouche
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Dissenting opinions = trolling? Nov. 27th, 2009 @ 11:19 PM Reply

I never said he was bluntly trolling, I couldn't tell if he was shitting me or not. There are a lot of sonic haters in the forums, and posting something bad about about sonic or something good about it are generally people shittin' others.

So I didn't know if this person would be a successful troll on these controversial subject. Anyways, I shared the same opinion with him, so we don't have different opinions.

No matter what your weaknesses are, make sure your own abilities supersede them.

knuxrouge
knuxrouge
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Dissenting opinions = trolling? Nov. 28th, 2009 @ 07:58 AM Reply

As soon as you accept that people are stupid, the sooner you can acknowledge someone else's opinion as for what it is, and not trolling.

what happened to this place?
Latest Blog: Chaos Sonic Ch 3 Update.

BBS Signature