• 24 Replies
The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
Favorite Video Game - Poll Thread 2009-11-26 06:49:59

Hello all Newgrounds Members. You know we all have our favorite video games out there, however I want to know Newgrounds top favorite video games of all time! That's right I'm going to compile a list of Newgrounds most favorite video games of all time!

All I ask is that you pick your Top 20 All-Time favorite video games. I'll categorize each and every single one and count up the votes then I'll create a results thread so you may see if your favorite made the list or not.

RULES
1. Pick 20 Video Games (a minimum of 10 is acceptable).
2. Has to be console, handheld, or PC game.
3. No Flash Games.
4. A list of 20 per user.
5. Discussion is Welcome... but no flaming other's lists.

Alrighty, let's get the ball rolling.

Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to Favorite Video Game - Poll Thread 2009-11-26 07:07:22

I don't mean to spoil the fun, but I thought we weren't allowed any poll threads?

Before I spend a fair bit of time hunting out my top 20 games, I'd like some sort of confirmation from a mod to say that this isn't just going to get locked on sight.

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
Response to Favorite Video Game - Poll Thread 2009-11-26 07:40:10

At 11/26/09 07:07 AM, GodsBitch wrote: I don't mean to spoil the fun, but I thought we weren't allowed any poll threads?

It shouldn't, because I believe the poll threads that are in question are threads like "Pepsi or Coke" forced choice and not open for discussion at all. I ask for your top 20 and ask for discussion. If you want to give your reasons why they're your top 20 then that is welcomed as well.

wethead77
wethead77
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Favorite Video Game - Poll Thread 2009-11-26 09:23:45

Mine are in no specific order:
SSBB
Fat Princess
Infamous
Halo 3
Star Wars: Battlefront 2
Boom Blox
Mario Kart Wii
Mario Party 8
Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga
LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga on Wii and DS
Pokémon Platinum
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Darkness
Scribblenauts
Pokémon Trading Card Game (GBC)
Pokémon Silver
Pokémon Red
Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
Pokémon Ranger
Pokémon Ranger: Shadow of Almia

BBS Signature
ghdude85
ghdude85
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Favorite Video Game - Poll Thread 2009-11-26 10:24:55

my top 10, but i'm not sure they are in order =P

1. Metal Gear Solid 3
2. Ratchet & Clank 2
3. New Super Mario Bros. Wii
4. Jak & Daxter 2
5. Crash Bandicoot 3
6. Legend of Zelda: Majoras Mask
7. Guitar Hero (best game = Metallica, best songs = GH3)
8. Super Smash Brothers Melee
9. Kingdom Hearts 2
10. Golden Eye 64

so many great games i couldn't ad to the list =(

knuxrouge
knuxrouge
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Favorite Video Game - Poll Thread 2009-11-26 10:28:43

Well.....
http://knuxrouge.newgrounds.com/news/pos t/343004

Number 10
Super Mario 64 (Nintendo 64)
Man, I remember seeing this commercial and got exited out of my mind, not only because it was Mario, who was a healthy alternative from Sonic, but it was Mario in full 3D, which was a brand new thing at the time. Seeing anything in full animated 3D graphics was a thrill to even look at, imagine my anticipation to play it, this game was the reason I wanted a 64 (I never got one). I've played it however, plenty of times too, in fact, Super Mario 64 is my most frequent played Mario game ever, I've played it too many times, I really don't like the game anymore, but something always drags me back to it, and that's why it makes the list, because no matter how much I'll hate it, I'll still love it.

Number 9
Aladdin (Sega Genesis, Amiga, MS-DOS, NES, SNES, Game Boy and Game Boy Color)
As the link implies, I'm referring to the Genesis version, the SNES was inferior and I never played any other port. Now that that's out of the way, time to dive in a great game for the Genesis, a fair amount of difficulty and entertainment, this game was one that had you coming back. The music is pretty damn good, and the gameplay had it's innovation. I remember playing this game all the time, because the difficulty skyrockets by the 5 and 6th level, but it's so addicting to play. This is really the kind of game, you have to play to appreciate, this was back when Disney was still worth something, nowadays, you may not enjoy it too much, but for those who have played it in the 90s, they'll agree with me that this game has aged nicely.

Number 8
Marvel vs Capcom (Arcade, Sega Dreamcast, PlayStation)
Yeah, this game made it, but why so low? Because I never got good at it, at least, not as good as my friends, whew, nowhere near. If you know me, you've heard me talk about how I suck at fighting games, but I can't stop playing them, well this is that sort of situation. Crossover games/comics/tv episodes were all the rage in the 90s and Capcom cashed out on it, prequel to what is considered the greatest fighting game of all time. And I liked it, despite my deficiency of skill, it's always fun to play, picking Spiderman and Chun li, and whipp'n ass with them? Get out! That was great, although any game with Chun li in it is worth playing.

Number 7
X-Men 2: Clone Wars (Sega Genesis)
Another game that made you proud to own a Genesis, X-Men 2 was simply gold, I remember my cousin had it, and I wanted it so bad too, and fortunately, I did, and I played it forever, the game is brutally difficult for a kid to play, and even older, the game gives out a tough ass challenge, I've only managed to beat it without cheats once. That's to say this game has also aged well. It's 2 players too, so you can get a friend to join the action, which would be better in some stages, while in others, it really gets in the way, however with a friend it is more fun overall, you get to help each other out and stuff, boss fights gets a whole lot easier, and surviving become less of a burden as well, assuming both players are experienced to an extent, if one is a noob, then they'll always hold you back and eventually die. They make good enemy fodder though.

Number 6
Streets of Rage (Sega Genesis)
One of the first successful beat-em-ups, Streets of Rage was the only game of it's series I've physically owned, I got 2 and 3 in a collection game, that being said, despite the other Streets of Rage games being really fun, this one has a sentimental charm to it, looking back it's a whole lot harder than 2 and almost as merciless as 3, I like how you can call the cops and they come in with weapons of mass destruction to take the bad guys out. That's really excessive! But I guess something is needed to balance out the implausibility of beating criminals to death with your bare hands, old games are really violent.....

Number 5
Super Mario World (SNES)
Even through all the Sonic hype I was going through, there were a few Mario games that really caught my interest, this was one of them, in fact, this game was the first video game I recall seeing, even before Sonic. I originally wanted a Super Nintendo, because of this game, but my mom got me a Genesis, because she couldn't find a SNES, which I'm thankful for--old Sonic games rock. But still, Super Mario World left a mark on my childhood, it got me into video games, and it was the only reason I ever wanted a SNES, however, this game has not aged well for me, but back as a kid, this game was like an unreachable star, and it held a similar charm, the memories don't flood back like it does for other games, but without this game, there probably wouldn't be any memories to have flooding.

Number 4
Super Mario Bros. (NES)
I wouldn't be a true retro gamer if this game didn't make it. I--like anyone else of my time--had this game, and played it forever, with the abundance of warpzones, enemies and secret passageways, this is a family/friends classic, nowadays, it sucks playing alone, grab some friends and either go 2 players or take turns, it'll be a blast.
Everything else is self explanatory.

Number 3
Ranger X (Sega Genesis)
A game so obscure, there isn't even a wiki article for it, but some of the most obscure games are also the best, this game is no exception, if you like giant mech games, then find/buy/download Ranger X. Featuring great graphics, even for the Genesis, great gameplay and a not-so-bad soundtrack. This game has aged greatly for me, and I still enjoy it, it had a great, but fair level of challenge to it as well, again, one of those games that you have to play to truly appreciate, Ranger X deserves this spot well.

Number 2
Contra: Hard Corps (Sega Genesis)
Easily one of the best Contra games in the series and trounces Contra 3 in the dirt, Hard Corps took an original turn to the series and added multiple weapon choices, non linear stage progression, cutscenes and character selection--to name a few. Another game that made you proud to be a Genesis owner, with hardcore third person shooting at it's finest. There really isn't much to say, this game hasn't aged at all, I still fucking love it.

Number 1
Jet Grind Radio (Sega Dreamcast)
This one takes the cake, and I really don't know why, when I decided to make this list, I instantly decided that this would take the number 1 spot. The best and last parts of my classic video game era was spent with this game, I played it all the time, despite it's straightforwardness, I always found new ways to do whatever with whoever. I love this game and I wish Sega would make another game using this base (not the sequel).
Cube and Gum are still hot.

what happened to this place?
Latest Blog: Chaos Sonic Ch 3 Update.

BBS Signature
knuxrouge
knuxrouge
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Favorite Video Game - Poll Thread 2009-11-26 10:30:43

Not even including Sonic games, in which I guess my absolute favorite goes for a grand prize.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

what happened to this place?
Latest Blog: Chaos Sonic Ch 3 Update.

BBS Signature
KeithHybrid
KeithHybrid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Favorite Video Game - Poll Thread 2009-11-26 11:16:43

In no particular order:

Gotcha Force (Fun, underrated Virtual-ON clone)
S4 League (Online multiplayer shooter done right)
Sonic Adventure 2 (3D Sonic done perfectly)
Steambot Chronicles (Enjoyable open-world Armored Core wannabe with lots to do)
Pursuit Force: Extreme Justice (Stellar PSP exclusive)
Phantasy Star Online (The only MMORPG I'll likely ever play)
Vectorman (Awesome Genesis shooter)
Persona 4 (Best J-RPG in history, aside from the original Phantasy Star series)
Metal Combat: Falcon's Revenge (Woefully underrated Super Scope game)
Splashfighters/GetAMPed (Because I can do this)

Favorite Video Game - Poll Thread

When all else fails, blame the casuals!

BBS Signature
Qonquerer
Qonquerer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Favorite Video Game - Poll Thread 2009-11-26 12:28:52

1. Fallout 3
2. MW2
3. Oblivion
4. COD4
5. Bioshock
6. Bad company
7. Sims bustin out
8. Sims 2
9. Farcry 2
10. Sims 3

BBS Signature
The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
Response to Favorite Video Game - Poll Thread 2009-11-27 02:00:44

Oh yeah one more thing people. No more suggestions by December 5th. If I don't get enough people to give me their favorites then I shall abandon the thread altogether.

PastryMan
PastryMan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Favorite Video Game - Poll Thread 2009-11-27 10:21:22

In no particular order:

Snes:
1. Super Castlevania IV
2. Zelda: A Link to the Past
3. Super Mario World

Nintendo 64:
4. Zelda: Ocarina of Time
5. Zelda: Majora's Mask
6. Mario 64

Playstation
7. Final Fantasy 7
8. Suikoden
9. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
10. Resident Evil
11. Resident Evil 2

Playstation 2
12. Silent Hill 2
13. Silent Hill 4: The Room
14. GTA: San Andreas
15. Final Fantasy X
16. Time Splitters 2
17. Time Splitters Future Perfect

PC
18. Betrayal at Krondor
19. Diablo I
20. Diablo II: Lord of Destruction

I'm sure I'm missing a few big favorites as I made this in about ten minutes.
loluntilmypie
loluntilmypie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Favorite Video Game - Poll Thread 2009-11-27 11:24:23

This is in no order since some I can't decide which I prefer.

- Tekken 6
My favourite fighting game. The graphics are a big improvement, Azazel may be very tricky at times but overall a very fun boss to fight, the customization is great - I haven't seen a single customized character look the same as another, great mix for serious gamers and casual gamers (Some characters even go with their style) and there's so much more that I could say.

- Dragon Age: Origins / Collector's edition
This is a great RPG. Loads of spells, nice storyline, very interesting and you get to fight HUGE dragons. None of the levels are a drag to finish in my opinion, and everything works out amazingly. Again, this is a good game for people who haven't played RPGs before and great for those who love RPGs.

- FIFA 10
This has kind of got me into the football world, but I still prefer rugby. The manager mode is spectacular, the online is great, you can make transfers to any team you like at any time which is sweet, and the matches are pretty cool.

- Motorstorm: Pacific Rift
This is one of my favourite racing games. From a bike to a monster truck, everything is even. No circuit has less than two different routes round a track, the graphics are STUNNING, especially when you drive by the ocean side in Kanaloka Bay, and the whole feel of it makes you feel a part of it at times.

- Midnight Club: Los Angeles
I love Midnight Club. The online is great, the customization is pretty much limitless, the cars all have their own feel to them, the sound of a muscle car (Dodge Challenger especially) being revved sounds awesome, and overall the racing is pretty awesome. Skylines can keep up with S7's often, but the tuning of some cars is insane.

- Fallout 3
A great FPS game. You can choose from loads of different weapons, the enemies vary quite a lot of the time, some places are pretty creepy to venture into, some give you rewards and some just make you feel like you've been robbed. The experience is amazing.

- Smackdown! vs RAW 2010
I know wrestling is something that isn't that good, but the game is great. The finishers trigger a camera angle that turns the background a dark-purpley colour and brings out camera lights flashing which make the finishers even more amazing. The game modes are fun, and the blood effects are pretty good.

- Wipeout HD Fury
Wipeout was an awesome game and still is. Wipeout HD took that further and completely changed the graphics to something even better. Wipeout HD Fury further took that experience further and is probably one of the top five games on the PSN. Some of the circuits are AMAZING.

- Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance
This is a game that needs a very powerful computer. If you have one of them, this game will be amazing if you can play it right. The battles look stunning, experimentals are matched up against hordes of tanks or assault bots and the battles can get very interesting, but the nuclear explosions are epic!

- Age of Empires III
One of the best strategy games ever. The mix of resource collecting, along with upgrading, training troops and deploying navies all came together as an awesome experience. For some it'll feel great building a huge empire on a map. The War Chiefs and The Asian Dynasties expansion packs made the game even better.

gmanthesandwhichking
gmanthesandwhichking
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Favorite Video Game - Poll Thread 2009-11-27 11:30:26

1-Half-Life 2
2-Mirror's Edge
3-Castle Crashers
4-Alien Hominid

That's all I got. Can't think of any more.

"Make art, not war." - Shepard Fairey

BBS Signature
Crink
Crink
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Favorite Video Game - Poll Thread 2009-11-27 11:35:28

In a particular order:

Metal Gear Solid
FF7
Zelda OoT
The Secrets of Monkey Island
Star Fox 64
Goldeneye
Super Mario World
Megaman 2
Demon's Crest
Super Smash Bros Melee

I wont go into detail why they're my favorites because it's pretty obvious why they're good. The only thing I can really say about them is fond memories.

hey

BBS Signature
supperman2
supperman2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Favorite Video Game - Poll Thread 2009-11-27 11:51:15

*insert generic list of old shitty games that were GUD FORR DUH TIEM LULZ*

BBS Signature
Randominator
Randominator
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Favorite Video Game - Poll Thread 2009-11-27 12:07:24

In no particular order:

Soul Calibur
Power Stone 2
Age of Empires 2
Streets of Rage 2
Sonic 2
Timesplitters 2
Star Wars: KOTOR
Baldur's Gate 2
Micro Machines 2
Planescape: Torment
Pokemon Gold
ToeJam & Earl
Cannon Fodder
Morrowind
Sunset Riders
Golden Axe
Close Combat: A Bridge Too Far
Herc's Adventures
Super Smash Bros Melee
Mario Kart 64

down on the upside

GiantDouche
GiantDouche
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Favorite Video Game - Poll Thread 2009-11-27 12:54:44

Duke Nukem (series)
Doom (series)
Wolfenstein
Quake (series, sans recent titles)
Rise of the Triad
Raptor
Serious Sam (series)
Indigo Prophecy
Commander Keen (series)
Braid
Half Life (series)
Left for Dead (series)
System Shock 2
Bioshock (series)
Fallout (series)
Baldur's Gate
Heroes of Might and Magic (series)

can't think of many more at the moment.

BioEthanol
BioEthanol
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Favorite Video Game - Poll Thread 2009-11-27 15:15:12

In no particular here is my top 10.

Unreal Tournament
I am sure this must have been the first FPS i ever played. Still a good game though and noticably the gameplay isn't really that much worse than modern FPS games. They havent really evolved in 10 years except bots, proper map editors have gone and health bars have been replaced with recharging 'shields.'

Star Wars Battlefront 2
I love this game the multiplayer is brilliant even though I never played it online just against bots. I never completed the single player though, I should go finish it now.

Super Mario Bros The Lost Levels
Not much different to Super Mario Bros but the harder levels, subtle gameplay changes (piranha plants & Hammer Bros act differently) and more sometimes weird levels (World 9 among others) make it a much better game IMO.

Digimon World
My first RPG. I am sure this must be the game I've played the most. It took me a few years to finish (needed a guide) and i still try and get some medals everynow and then. I am surprised this game was so good for a game based off a toy and TV series. It is also underrated and should be declared to have cult status.

Age of Empires 2
Love this game. It brought me into the world of RTS a genre I still love to this day. What I really loved about this game was the scenario editor and the cheats. Good times.

StarWars Galactic Battlegrounds
This game is basically just Age of Empires 2 but starwars-ified. Thats why I love it and because it makes improvements on AOE2 such as higher population cap and different factions units actually look different.

Gears of War 2
My favourite modern shooter. Brilliant Campaign, Brilliant multiplayer online and offline plus horde mode and a one of the few modern shooters with bots. Need I say more.

Saints Row 2
This game is pure fun. You can spray shit over people, phone a number to get a pimp to attack you plus any game where you can dress up as a clown/pirate/mime and control a small army (3) of ninjas has to be in my top 10.

Dead Rising
Love the wacky weapons. The showerhead being one of my faves. Can't wait for the sequel.

Fallout 3
If you reading this you, you must care why i put Fallout 3 on this list. Well I am gonna ask you this question, why wouldn't I put Fallout 3 on my top 10 fave game list.

ArmouredGRIFFON
ArmouredGRIFFON
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Reader
Response to Favorite Video Game - Poll Thread 2009-11-27 16:02:59

Duke Nukem 3d
Rainbow 6 Vegas (X360)
Wolf3d
Halo 3
Halo 2
Dues Ex 1 and 2 - PC
Vice City
Serious Sam, First and Second encounters. PC.

Your friendly neighbourhood devils advocate.

BBS Signature
ArmouredGRIFFON
ArmouredGRIFFON
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Reader
Response to Favorite Video Game - Poll Thread 2009-11-27 16:04:35

Oh Snap!

Modern Warfare 2 (xbox360)
PSX
Crash Bandicoot's 1, and 3. Spyro the Dragon 1, and 2!

Your friendly neighbourhood devils advocate.

BBS Signature
ZJ
ZJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to Favorite Video Game - Poll Thread 2009-11-27 17:50:27

Here's mine:

20. Alien Hominid (The Behemoth, Gamecube, 2004)
19. RollerCoaster Tycoon (Hasbro Interactive, PC, 1999)
18. Kirby's Adventure (Nintendo, NES, 1993)
17. Street Fighter II': Special Champion Edition (Capcom, Genesis, 1993)
16. Fallout 3 ( Bethesda Softworks, Xbox360, 2008)
14. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (Nintendo, SNES, 1995)
13. Pikmin 2 (Nintendo, Gamecube, 2004)
12. Super Mario World (Nintendo, SNES, 1991)
11. Devil's Crush ( NAXAT Soft, T-16, 1990)
10. Galaga 88' (Namco, Arcade, 1988)
9. Super Mario Bros. 3 (Nintendo, NES, 1990)
8. Super Mario Galaxy (Nintendo, Wii, 2007)
7. Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo, Wii, 2008)
6. Super Smash Brothers Brawl (Nintendo, Wii, 2008)
5. Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes (Konami, Gamecube, 2004)
4. New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo, DS, 2006)
3. Sonic The Hedgehog 2 (Sega, Genesis, 1992)
2. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Nintendo, N64, 1998)
1. Super Mario 64 (Nintendo, N64, 1996)

Thoughts?

Some of these games are multiplatform. I have listed the versions I have played.

Sig by Luis - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, and Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo & Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
TheRealKira
TheRealKira
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Favorite Video Game - Poll Thread 2009-11-27 20:04:36

In no particular order:

1. Modern Warfare 2
2. Halo 3
3. Call of Duty 4
4. Final Fantasy 7
5, Final Fantasy 8
6, Final Fantasy 10
7, Super Mario 64
8, Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
9. Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
10. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
11. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
12. Fallout 3
13. Oblivion
14. Metal Gear Solid
15. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
16. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
17. Resident Evil 4
18. Resident Evil 2
19. Mario Kart 64
20. Jet Force Gemini

TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Favorite Video Game - Poll Thread 2009-11-27 20:38:52

Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 3
Metal Gear Solid 4
Comix Zone
Contra III
Shadow of the Colossus
Beyond Good and Evil
Mario Kart 64
Star Wars Battlefront 2
Civilization 4
Pokemon Gold
The Lost World: Jurassic Park - Chaos Island
Streets of Rage II
Rock Band 2
Call of Duty 2
Crash Team Racing
Sonic The Hedgehog 2
Star Wars: Republic Commando
Elite Beat Agents
Crash Bandicoot 3

PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
coolbond007
coolbond007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Favorite Video Game - Poll Thread 2009-11-27 20:56:46

In no particular order:

EVERY PS3 GAME EVER MADE!

TheJamoke
TheJamoke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Favorite Video Game - Poll Thread 2009-11-27 22:18:03

At 11/26/09 07:40 AM, The-Great-One wrote:
At 11/26/09 07:07 AM, GodsBitch wrote: I don't mean to spoil the fun, but I thought we weren't allowed any poll threads?
It shouldn't, because I believe the poll threads that are in question are threads like "Pepsi or Coke" forced choice and not open for discussion at all. I ask for your top 20 and ask for discussion. If you want to give your reasons why they're your top 20 then that is welcomed as well.

"This or that" threads are just one type of poll thread. Poll threads in general aren't a good idea. They become nothing but a list with no discussion. that is why the admins added the favorites sections to our profiles- to keep threads like these from clogging the forums.

BBS Signature