Be a Supporter!

NG Gamerscore Leaderboard 2.0

  • 344,389 Views
  • 15,195 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Member since: Jul. 17, 2008
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to NG Gamerscore Leaderboard 2.0 Dec. 10th, 2009 @ 07:08 PM Reply

At 12/10/09 05:44 PM, Jerich0 wrote: All I'm saying is I put in the same amount of time you guys do into a game.

But you don't put in the same amount of money... or the time it takes to get the money.

Just saying.

I don't really care if he's on the list. I don't care who is on the list anymore. It's not like we win anything...

Matt
Matt
  • Member since: Jul. 8, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to NG Gamerscore Leaderboard 2.0 Dec. 10th, 2009 @ 08:48 PM Reply

This is some soap opera shit.

I think the issue with a pirate on the leaderboard is that they have an unfair advantage and shouldn't be allowed to compete with others who, as far as we know, all obtain their games legally; he has access to any game that happens to get uploaded to the internet, and it would be no stretch of the imagination to think they wouldn't hesitate to grab a game save along with their .iso that isn't their own 'just because.' (As mentioned earlier, obtaining online-only achievements offline--without a time stamp--is a rather blatant red flag.)

Meanwhile, everybody else has a limit; I doubt anybody here could rationally just buy out a store or order an entire collection of every 360 game without something short of winning the lottery or receiving an inheritance. However, with a couple weeks worth of downloading and any pirate could essentially do exactly that. (I'm not suggesting that our resident pirate has done anything that severe, this is merely hyperbole.)

Justifying piracy is totally beside the point here; we don't need a debate about morality or the consequences of illegal copies, but I do think it's rather silly to flaunt it as if it's a badge of honor and then protest when you're not allowed to compete on a leaderboard such as this. I think I may be speaking on behalf of most people when I say allowing a pirate or game-saver on the leaderboard would only serve to further trivialize it. The leaderboards are already somewhat trivial because not everybody has the same financial capacity or amount of time to play. It's never been an equal playing field. But, allowing somebody with such a glaring advantage to compete would likely destroy their motivation to compete for those around him and ultimately cheapen it for everybody.

It's important that we don't turn this into a witch hunt, however. If it gets to the point where we need to start scanning receipts and NEVER go offline to prove our honesty, we've done something wrong. But when somebody admits to piracy, there should be no discussion necessary as to whether or not they should be allowed on the list.


XBL Gamertag: Dr Lipschitz /// Steam ID: Zippomatt /// League: Zippomatt
last.fm

BBS Signature
Canas
Canas
  • Member since: Jun. 9, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 32
Artist
Response to NG Gamerscore Leaderboard 2.0 Dec. 10th, 2009 @ 10:17 PM Reply

At 12/10/09 06:23 PM, SomaGuye wrote: It's because a lot more work is put into a game than an album.

Are you joking? That's a pretty huge over-generalization to make.

But in terms of whether or not modders should be allowed on the leaderboards, that's pretty obvious. Of course not. I just don't agree with the negative treatment/shunning, that's a load of shit. Piracy is piracy, and we all do it in some form or another. I don't blame people for being upset at Xbox modders, I had my fair share of swearing matches back on Halo 2 when they really used to fuck you over. But if I had the resources and the opportunity to NOT pay 70 dollars for games. I would. Because that shit is way too expensive.

Jonas
Jonas
  • Member since: Sep. 12, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 19
Artist
Response to NG Gamerscore Leaderboard 2.0 Dec. 10th, 2009 @ 10:42 PM Reply

Now beating Dobio by 3 points. Teehee.


Need a hot dicking?
JonasATnewgrounds.com
I do voices.

Jercurpac
Jercurpac
  • Member since: Apr. 13, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 32
Melancholy
Response to NG Gamerscore Leaderboard 2.0 Dec. 10th, 2009 @ 10:46 PM Reply

Hey, how 'bout them achievements. Got a couple while working through veteran difficulty on MW2. Half way through and I've yet to hit any truly frustrating spots. Exodus got me a little riled going through the mansions, but that's been about it. Enemies don't spam grenades too much so it's easy to bunker down in one spot.


Happy with what you have to be happy with
you have to be happy with what you have
to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature
sushi13
sushi13
  • Member since: Jul. 28, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 45
Gamer
Response to NG Gamerscore Leaderboard 2.0 Dec. 10th, 2009 @ 11:26 PM Reply

At 12/10/09 08:48 PM, Matt wrote: This is some soap opera shit.

I think the issue with a pirate on the leaderboard is that they have an unfair advantage and shouldn't be allowed to compete with others who, as far as we know, all obtain their games legally; he has access to any game that happens to get uploaded to the internet, and it would be no stretch of the imagination to think they wouldn't hesitate to grab a game save along with their .iso that isn't their own 'just because.' (As mentioned earlier, obtaining online-only achievements offline--without a time stamp--is a rather blatant red flag.)

Meanwhile, everybody else has a limit; I doubt anybody here could rationally just buy out a store or order an entire collection of every 360 game without something short of winning the lottery or receiving an inheritance. However, with a couple weeks worth of downloading and any pirate could essentially do exactly that. (I'm not suggesting that our resident pirate has done anything that severe, this is merely hyperbole.)

Justifying piracy is totally beside the point here; we don't need a debate about morality or the consequences of illegal copies, but I do think it's rather silly to flaunt it as if it's a badge of honor and then protest when you're not allowed to compete on a leaderboard such as this. I think I may be speaking on behalf of most people when I say allowing a pirate or game-saver on the leaderboard would only serve to further trivialize it. The leaderboards are already somewhat trivial because not everybody has the same financial capacity or amount of time to play. It's never been an equal playing field. But, allowing somebody with such a glaring advantage to compete would likely destroy their motivation to compete for those around him and ultimately cheapen it for everybody.

It's important that we don't turn this into a witch hunt, however. If it gets to the point where we need to start scanning receipts and NEVER go offline to prove our honesty, we've done something wrong. But when somebody admits to piracy, there should be no discussion necessary as to whether or not they should be allowed on the list.
At 12/10/09 10:17 PM, Canas wrote: But in terms of whether or not modders should be allowed on the leaderboards, that's pretty obvious. Of course not. I just don't agree with the negative treatment/shunning, that's a load of shit. Piracy is piracy, and we all do it in some form or another. I don't blame people for being upset at Xbox modders, I had my fair share of swearing matches back on Halo 2 when they really used to fuck you over. But if I had the resources and the opportunity to NOT pay 70 dollars for games. I would. Because that shit is way too expensive.

Both of you guys pretty much nailed it. I certainly have nothing personal against Jerich0 and I don't really have anything against modders/pirates/gamesavers but I don't think they should be allowed on the leaderboard because they have a totally unfair advantage over everybody else. As far as I can see Jerich0 is guilty of all these things (I don't know how he has the balls to deny gamesaving after the evidence I mentioned in my last post) and he's admitted modding and pirating to the point of flaunting it.

As Matt said there are always going to be people with advantages and people with disadvantages. Look at Jonas; he works in a video game store and gets to bring loads of whorish games home and max out his score. And me, I work like 5-8 hours a week and make more money than I know what to do with so I have all day every day to play games and the money to buy whatever I want.
Surely there is already enough advantage and disadvantage without allowing people with morally dubious advantages into the mix?

I agree that this should not be turned into a witch hunt and I have absolutely no intention of letting it become one. As far as I'm concerned Jerich0's punishment is that he will not be allowed on the leaderboard (and if he gets caught by Microsoft he will suffer a lot worse) and we don't need to give him any shit about it. I intend to take the same harsh line on any other known modders/pirates/gamesavers in the future because I took a vote from you guys before, the majority response was to disallow these people and I fully intend to go through with the things I said I would.
This is not my thread, this belongs to all of you guys and you're the ones who should make the rules.
For my money this conversation is over.

Jonas
Jonas
  • Member since: Sep. 12, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 19
Artist
Response to NG Gamerscore Leaderboard 2.0 Dec. 10th, 2009 @ 11:32 PM Reply

At 12/10/09 11:26 PM, sushi13 wrote:
As Matt said there are always going to be people with advantages and people with disadvantages. Look at Jonas; he works in a video game store and gets to bring loads of whorish games home and max out his score. And me, I work like 5-8 hours a week and make more money than I know what to do with so I have all day every day to play games and the money to buy whatever I want.
Surely there is already enough advantage and disadvantage without allowing people with morally dubious advantages into the mix?

I play non whorish games. Sometimes.

Though on Jerich0, everyone's said what I'd say, anyways, let me know if someone is having trouble with a game because of dead online play, because the good thing about the game store is it lets NG users with maybe no one else to play crap games with play with other NGers. Ultimately, never forget that you guys can let me know if you need some help with online games, because I'd like to think of my stupid selection of games as a boon for all.

:3 That and I can make other people feel my pain for having to stare at a copy of Friends The Game The One With All the Trivia EVERY SINGLE DAY OF MY WORKING LIFE.


Need a hot dicking?
JonasATnewgrounds.com
I do voices.

malachi117
malachi117
  • Member since: May. 14, 2007
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Gamer
Response to NG Gamerscore Leaderboard 2.0 Dec. 11th, 2009 @ 12:09 AM Reply

At 12/10/09 11:32 PM, Jonas wrote: for having to stare at a copy of Friends The Game The One With All the Trivia EVERY SINGLE DAY OF MY WORKING LIFE.

...........I own that game.


360 - Malachi117. Steam - Malachi117. PS3 - NarcolepticCat.

BBS Signature
Sierra
Sierra
  • Member since: Nov. 25, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to NG Gamerscore Leaderboard 2.0 Dec. 11th, 2009 @ 03:42 AM Reply

Jerich0: I see your point too. I don't see how you can get General while playing offline though, as the achievement description clearly says 'Get 50,000 points in online ranked matches'. Online ranked, and yet the achievement was obtained offline. I don't think that's possible.

Modding is not helping the community, Jerich0. It's ruining it, for your own profit. The more people who have access to modded consoles, modding tools and other such equipment, the more people will destroy a game. Remember CoD4? When it was super fast and super slow and stuff? Yeah. That can be done with modding. If you think giving people access to that sort of stuff is 'helping', then I can't see your point.

Frankly, I'll explain why we assumed that you glitched achievements. They're in a messed up order, which is a sign of game saving. Look at the one Sushi pointed out - Assassin's Creed 2. He mentions an achievement, so read that post.

I disagree that you spend as much time as other people here on a game. For a start, you just need a transfer cable and some programs, and you've 'completed' the game. I have no problem with you being on the Leaderboard, even if you do mod your score occasionally. Why? Gamerscore doesn't mean jack shit, so you're welcome to boost it. However, I propose you cannot get onto the 'Whore of the Week' listing, for the simple reason that you can whore about 50,000G or more in about an hour.

Canas: I can see what you mean about music piracy versus game piracy. A game has a lot more work put into it, and has a lot more hype too, I would say. Music piracy is more mainstream too - you simply have to look online and you can pretty much find at least five tutorials and a blog post on it.


I'm on Last.fm!
Also, I used to be YeOldeSierra. Now I'm just Sierra :3

EtchASketchClock
EtchASketchClock
  • Member since: Oct. 10, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Gamer
Response to NG Gamerscore Leaderboard 2.0 Dec. 11th, 2009 @ 06:17 AM Reply

Just escaped the Vault in Fallout 3 PC.
Time to do this shit all over again.


That was a great post. Right Zach?

BBS Signature
Oliver
Oliver
  • Member since: Sep. 22, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to NG Gamerscore Leaderboard 2.0 Dec. 11th, 2009 @ 08:14 AM Reply

Anyone care to play MW2 with me in approximately 4 hours?
I'm bored as fuck in this warehouse. :c

Thank god I'm only working here for 2 more weeks.
Jerich0
Jerich0
  • Member since: Nov. 24, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to NG Gamerscore Leaderboard 2.0 Dec. 11th, 2009 @ 08:24 AM Reply

YeOldeSierra you do have a point about the Assassins Creed 2. Allow me to explain when you play a game on a console and then all of a sudden it gets a console ban. All game save data automatically becomes corrupted. So that its completely useless on another console So basically starting from scratch. Now the achievements look funky on that game because of the fact that we share a memory card. Yes we actually use a memory card. I really didnt want to start ass creed 2 over again its a long game. You guys are mistaken too its not 50,000 points its 40,000 points on cod3. I thought I got that one online but playing around with other peoples game saves can give you random achievements.


BBS Signature
BananaBreadMuffin
BananaBreadMuffin
  • Member since: Jul. 8, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 41
Audiophile
Response to NG Gamerscore Leaderboard 2.0 Dec. 11th, 2009 @ 10:45 AM Reply

Alright guys, we've had our fill of jerich0 hate or whatever. If anyone has anything to say to him, keep it in PMs. In the mean time, jerich0 isn't allowed on the leaderboards but I see no reason why he shouldn't be allowed to come in here peacefully and discuss games like the rest of us.

Oliver
Oliver
  • Member since: Sep. 22, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to NG Gamerscore Leaderboard 2.0 Dec. 11th, 2009 @ 12:26 PM Reply

At 12/11/09 10:45 AM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: Blah blah shit poop

Seems fair to me.

Jercurpac
Jercurpac
  • Member since: Apr. 13, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 32
Melancholy
Response to NG Gamerscore Leaderboard 2.0 Dec. 11th, 2009 @ 12:32 PM Reply

At 12/11/09 10:45 AM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: Alright guys, we've had our fill of jerich0 hate or whatever.

Wait, I didn't get to rag on him yet. He's a cunt and I hope he bleeds vaginally until every last once of life dribbles past his floppy labia.

Okay, I'm through.


Happy with what you have to be happy with
you have to be happy with what you have
to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature
Oliver
Oliver
  • Member since: Sep. 22, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to NG Gamerscore Leaderboard 2.0 Dec. 11th, 2009 @ 12:55 PM Reply

At 12/11/09 12:53 PM, Jawdyn wrote:
i still havent got all 1000 on MW2 >:0

You need Spec Ops Jawd?
Cause I'd be willing to help.

It'd be just like old times. :')
Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Member since: Jul. 17, 2008
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to NG Gamerscore Leaderboard 2.0 Dec. 11th, 2009 @ 03:38 PM Reply

I got that snowmobile game and got 60G in like 5 minutes.

citricsquid
citricsquid
  • Member since: Jun. 25, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to NG Gamerscore Leaderboard 2.0 Dec. 11th, 2009 @ 03:56 PM Reply

At 12/11/09 03:54 PM, Jawdyn wrote: my bro playing on my account the little tight bitch

oh god what have i walked in on

Fezz
Fezz
  • Member since: Feb. 12, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 33
Blank Slate
Response to NG Gamerscore Leaderboard 2.0 Dec. 11th, 2009 @ 04:31 PM Reply

At 12/11/09 12:55 PM, Lagamuffin wrote:
At 12/11/09 12:53 PM, Jawdyn wrote:
i still havent got all 1000 on MW2 >:0
You need Spec Ops Jawd?
Cause I'd be willing to help.
It'd be just like old times. :')

Achievement Unlocked - Frannnnzzz Agaaaaaaaaain.

Oliver
Oliver
  • Member since: Sep. 22, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to NG Gamerscore Leaderboard 2.0 Dec. 11th, 2009 @ 06:41 PM Reply

At 12/11/09 03:54 PM, Jawdyn wrote:
yes alright on sunday. i know im always online but thats just my bro playing on my account the little tight bitch, doesnt want to buy his own gold membership

I know, I've crept into one of his little Hardcore S&D games with Adam and Cona.
The complete knobheads.

Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Member since: Jul. 17, 2008
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to NG Gamerscore Leaderboard 2.0 Dec. 11th, 2009 @ 07:01 PM Reply

+380G from Ski-Doo Challenge. I've barely played it too.

Oliver
Oliver
  • Member since: Sep. 22, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to NG Gamerscore Leaderboard 2.0 Dec. 11th, 2009 @ 07:22 PM Reply

Lego rockband is the best thing to happen to gaming since Tim fucking Schafer came up with Psychonauts.

sushi13
sushi13
  • Member since: Jul. 28, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 45
Gamer
Response to NG Gamerscore Leaderboard 2.0 Dec. 11th, 2009 @ 08:12 PM Reply

Played some Left 4 Dead over the last couple of days because I want to unlock the last 2 achievements from the shipped version and as many of the DLC achievements as possible, although they seem to be glitched. Getting back into it reminded me of all the headaches caused by servers that randomly drop people or kill the whole game and retards who don't have a fucking clue what to do and end up getting your whole team decimated.

I was lucky enough to be playing versus with a really good team against a pretty mediocre team when I saw a heavenly visage reading " You will become the tank." Somehow the gods smiled on me and I managed to down all four of the stupid bastards without any trouble, unlocking that ungodly achievement that I thought I'd never get, or at least certainly not unless I boosted it. And there was much rejoicing.

All 4 Dead - 30G

Fezz
Fezz
  • Member since: Feb. 12, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 33
Blank Slate
Response to NG Gamerscore Leaderboard 2.0 Dec. 12th, 2009 @ 02:43 AM Reply

I got some Left 4 Dead 2 achievements with Cole's help, including bopping 10 clown's noses, getting that gnome out of the dark carnival, and using only melee weapons on an entire campaign. Around 30,514 or so.

Jercurpac
Jercurpac
  • Member since: Apr. 13, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 32
Melancholy
Response to NG Gamerscore Leaderboard 2.0 Dec. 12th, 2009 @ 09:59 AM Reply

At 12/11/09 08:12 PM, sushi13 wrote: Somehow the gods smiled on me and I managed to down all four of the stupid bastards without any trouble, unlocking that ungodly achievement that I thought I'd never get, or at least certainly not unless I boosted it. And there was much rejoicing.

All 4 Dead - 30G

That one's really not that bad, I've done it plenty of times and I don't consider myself all that great. My favorite time was in the construction yard. All four survivors were running single file down a narrow alleyway and I was able to take them all out with one tossed dumpster.


Happy with what you have to be happy with
you have to be happy with what you have
to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature
Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Member since: Jul. 17, 2008
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to NG Gamerscore Leaderboard 2.0 Dec. 12th, 2009 @ 12:19 PM Reply

At 12/12/09 02:43 AM, Fezz wrote: getting that gnome out of the dark carnival,

even without having to carry it, it's a bitch

Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Member since: Jul. 17, 2008
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to NG Gamerscore Leaderboard 2.0 Dec. 12th, 2009 @ 12:28 PM Reply

Oh, i forgot to post the achievements I got.

380 from Ski-Doo Challenge.
35 more from L4D2

Fezz
Fezz
  • Member since: Feb. 12, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 33
Blank Slate
Response to NG Gamerscore Leaderboard 2.0 Dec. 12th, 2009 @ 12:50 PM Reply

At 12/12/09 12:19 PM, Makeshift wrote:
At 12/12/09 02:43 AM, Fezz wrote: getting that gnome out of the dark carnival,
even without having to carry it, it's a bitch

Carrying it wasn't that bad.

Carrying it while eating cheddar popcorn and trying to vaccum at 1:00AM is bad.

Oliver
Oliver
  • Member since: Sep. 22, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to NG Gamerscore Leaderboard 2.0 Dec. 12th, 2009 @ 12:55 PM Reply

Lego Rockband is one of the easiest games to whore of 2009. :3

Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Member since: Jul. 17, 2008
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to NG Gamerscore Leaderboard 2.0 Dec. 12th, 2009 @ 01:03 PM Reply

At 12/12/09 12:55 PM, Lagamuffin wrote: Lego Rockband is one of the easiest games to whore of 2009. :3

you're one of the easiest games to whore of 2009-2010