ReNaeNae
ReNaeNae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Blank Slate
2009 Holiday Card Exchange Nov. 22nd, 2009 @ 10:43 PM Reply

With the Holidays quickly approaching, I thought it would be fun to have a little
Art Forum Holiday Card Exchange.

...like Secret Santa, but with hand-made cards!!

So, here's how it will work:

Make a greeting card to send to someone else. Doesn't have to be fancy or professional looking... just something fun & festive. It can be silly, sappy, stupid... whatever... as long as it's not offensive or inappropriate! Once your card is DONE, pm me with YOUR address.

You have until SUNDAY, DECEMBER 6TH (11:59 PM, NG TIME) to FINISH your card ...that's two full weeks!

On MONDAY, DECEMBER 7TH (noon-ish, depending on how many people participate), I will pm you with a randomly chosen user's address. Then you can just stuff your awesomely made card into an envelope, address it, slap on the required postage, and mail it off. Be sure to keep an eye on your own mailbox for your special card to arrive!

- Please post here once you've mailed your card AND once you've received a card.
- Do NOT post pics of the card you make here or the Art Portal until AFTER it has been received. It's supposed to be a surprise! ...but once the recipient has it, feel free to share!! :D
- You can sign it if you want, or keep it a mystery.
- You can include a message, poem... little trinket, etc. but it's not required.
- Have fun with it!

Only KNOWN users will be included in this. Any and all BBS regs are allowed to participate, not just art forum goers! But I reserve the right to exclude anyone I deem untrustworthy or unreliable :P
I will give your address to ONE person, and one person only. By participating in this exchange you agree to keep the address information you are given PRIVATE. Anyone that abuses this information will be dealt with accordingly. Don't ruin it for others!

2009 Holiday Card Exchange

Captain
Captain
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to 2009 Holiday Card Exchange Nov. 22nd, 2009 @ 10:46 PM Reply

FIRST POST!

I'm definitely down for all this, it should be a really fun project. I should have money to buy stamps by the time I have to ship it so it should be fine :D

Look at my art!

BBS Signature
Snowman
Snowman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to 2009 Holiday Card Exchange Nov. 22nd, 2009 @ 10:49 PM Reply

I am so doin this, Seems like it will be alot o fun

This text is in bold, which makes me aweso and your statement irrelevant.
ArtThread. Deviant. NGcar. SnowmansLand

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to 2009 Holiday Card Exchange Nov. 22nd, 2009 @ 10:58 PM Reply

Arghhhh, why do my exams end so late this year. My last one is december 22 so I'll be terribly pre-occupied till then. Also, there's a bus strike where I am, and I don't have a vehicle, and aurghhhhhh!!!!! Too many things going on. I wish I could do this, I really do, but I wouldn't be able to mail this off till I finish it, and I'll probably only get to start working on it after the 22.

much sadness
ReNaeNae
ReNaeNae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to 2009 Holiday Card Exchange Nov. 22nd, 2009 @ 11:42 PM Reply

At 11/22/09 10:58 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: much sadness

aww, that sucks! :( I dunno how things work in Can-ann-ah-duh, but here you just put the stamps on and throw it in your mail box... the mailman takes it right from your door. Unless you're using cardboard or an usually large envelope, regular stamps and rates should apply.

Hopefully this one will turn out well and we can do more... like valentine's day or um... pico day?! lawl!!

Oh yeah, I forgot... when your card is DONE and you PM me, please put HOLIDAY CARD EXCHANGE as the subject. Thanks! :D

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to 2009 Holiday Card Exchange Nov. 22nd, 2009 @ 11:49 PM Reply

At 11/22/09 11:42 PM, ReNaeNae wrote:
At 11/22/09 10:58 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: much sadness
aww, that sucks! :( I dunno how things work in Can-ann-ah-duh, but here you just put the stamps on and throw it in your mail box... the mailman takes it right from your door. Unless you're using cardboard or an usually large envelope, regular stamps and rates should apply.

Well, when I did the Sketchbook Tour, I had to drive to the post office, buy the correct postage and then mail it from there. But, since I'm away for school, I don't really have that option available.

AwesomeSaurus
AwesomeSaurus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to 2009 Holiday Card Exchange Nov. 23rd, 2009 @ 12:34 AM Reply

This is great, really cool idea ReNaeNae! I'm definitely down for this, I just have a quick question: When you give us the random address, do we know who the card we send is going out to? It's pretty cool if it's just a random address, but if we know the user we can make the card a bit more personalized. I think either way will be fun, just curious.

Spags
Spags
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to 2009 Holiday Card Exchange Nov. 23rd, 2009 @ 12:37 AM Reply

I don't know if Im "known", but I'd like to participate in this!! I'm excited!

CloudEater
CloudEater
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to 2009 Holiday Card Exchange Nov. 23rd, 2009 @ 12:39 AM Reply

Do I live too out of the way to participate in this? I looked up the cost of posting a letter to the US and the cheapest price was $1.40 (1.2usd) which isn't much at all. Would it be around the same price the other way around?

Mexifry
Mexifry
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to 2009 Holiday Card Exchange Nov. 23rd, 2009 @ 01:57 AM Reply

So what exactly has to be done on December 6th?
Do we have to tell you that we have finished our Christmas card and give our mailing address or what?

TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to 2009 Holiday Card Exchange Nov. 23rd, 2009 @ 06:59 AM Reply

I'm in ;) winky face

BBS Signature
JoeTheToucan
JoeTheToucan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to 2009 Holiday Card Exchange Nov. 23rd, 2009 @ 07:46 AM Reply

Awesumo! Get me in dere!

No mate, no.

BBS Signature
Occluded
Occluded
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Artist
Response to 2009 Holiday Card Exchange Nov. 23rd, 2009 @ 08:11 AM Reply

Hell yeah! Count me in.

J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to 2009 Holiday Card Exchange Nov. 23rd, 2009 @ 09:15 AM Reply

Im in! I was pleasantly surprised that mailing to the us is only 2 dollars or something around here.... way inside my budget!

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature
Parnassus
Parnassus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to 2009 Holiday Card Exchange Nov. 23rd, 2009 @ 12:50 PM Reply

I want to be part of this :D

ReNaeNae
ReNaeNae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to 2009 Holiday Card Exchange Nov. 23rd, 2009 @ 02:15 PM Reply

At 11/22/09 11:49 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: I don't really have that option available.

Your school has to have some sort of mail service...no? Maybe it's closer than you think :D

At 11/23/09 12:34 AM, AwesomeSaurus wrote: When you give us the random address, do we know who the card we send is going out to?

Hmm, right now, names might be needed to ensure the cards get to their intended recipient... instead of someone's parent or housemate... but I'm looking into another option. I'll let you know!! Glad you're taking part!! :D

At 11/23/09 12:37 AM, Spaghetti14 wrote: I don't know if Im "known", but I'd like to participate in this!! I'm excited!

Just like in fashion, one day you're in, the next day you're out... Spaghetti14... you're in, you may leave the runway!! (I'm guessing no one is gonna get that! lol)

At 11/23/09 12:39 AM, CloudEater wrote: Do I live too out of the way to participate in this? I looked up the cost of posting a letter to the US and the cheapest price was $1.40 (1.2usd) which isn't much at all. Would it be around the same price the other way around?

Hmm... not sure if it's the same price both ways, but I think that should be manageable. If someone gets an address that they can't afford, they can let me know and I can... reshuffle or something!! ;)

At 11/23/09 01:57 AM, Mexifry wrote: So what exactly has to be done on December 6th?
Do we have to tell you that we have finished our Christmas card and give our mailing address or what?

Yeah, as of right now, that's the plan.... cards MUST BE DONE before you will be included in the exchange. That we no one has to worry about their card-maker flaking out on them. Waiting is a bitch... making someone wait forever is just... cruel! lol :P

At 11/23/09 06:59 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: I'm in ;) winky face

Yay!! ;) winky face right back atcha!!!

At 11/23/09 07:46 AM, JoeTheToucan wrote: Awesumo! Get me in dere!

You're in, but I'mma keep my eye on you ;P

At 11/23/09 08:11 AM, Occluded wrote: Hell yeah! Count me in.

WoooO!! Counted!! :D

At 11/23/09 09:15 AM, J-qb wrote: Im in! I was pleasantly surprised that mailing to the us is only 2 dollars or something around here.... way inside my budget!

Awesome... I could try to keep the selection process to regions/countries if people think that will help... but getting stuff from far away is always exciting! Hopefully it won't be more than a couple dollars for anyone person... the idea is to keep it as inexpensive as possible! ;)

At 11/23/09 12:50 PM, Parnassus wrote: I want to be part of this :D

You haven't been here long (based on your start date), but your post history looks ok, so... ok :D

Knocturne
Knocturne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to 2009 Holiday Card Exchange Nov. 23rd, 2009 @ 04:38 PM Reply

Haha, working at a print shop gives me the advantage of nice stock to print off of, and nice envelopes. I'm in if I'm popular or reliable enough.

I would think that having my Newgrounds ID to be on the card mailed to me, because I want to remain anonymous plus it'd be awesome to get a card that says "Knocturne 123 Fake Street. Anywhere CA, 90800"

Of course, I'd give you the real address but I just enjoy my anonymity.

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature
VisionPie
VisionPie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to 2009 Holiday Card Exchange Nov. 23rd, 2009 @ 04:47 PM Reply

D'Aww, sounds like a cute and fun idea, Raenaenae. :)

n0sv3ratu
n0sv3ratu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to 2009 Holiday Card Exchange Nov. 23rd, 2009 @ 05:19 PM Reply

im definatly in

TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to 2009 Holiday Card Exchange Nov. 23rd, 2009 @ 05:31 PM Reply

At 11/23/09 02:15 PM, ReNaeNae wrote:
At 11/23/09 12:34 AM, AwesomeSaurus wrote: When you give us the random address, do we know who the card we send is going out to?
Hmm, right now, names might be needed to ensure the cards get to their intended recipient... instead of someone's parent or housemate... but I'm looking into another option. I'll let you know!!

I think names are gonna be needed, so that the opening line in the card isn't a faceless:

To Newgrounds User,
Love AwesomeSaurus
-x-

BBS Signature
JoeTheToucan
JoeTheToucan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to 2009 Holiday Card Exchange Nov. 23rd, 2009 @ 05:39 PM Reply

At 11/23/09 05:31 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: To Newgrounds User,
Love AwesomeSaurus

Could just be 'Have a f-ing good x-mas' or something.

No mate, no.

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to 2009 Holiday Card Exchange Nov. 23rd, 2009 @ 05:45 PM Reply

Aha! There appears to be a postal service at the UCC (University Community Centre). Bingo!
Sign me up! (I'll need some pencil crayons then)

Daverom
Daverom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Melancholy
Response to 2009 Holiday Card Exchange Nov. 23rd, 2009 @ 05:48 PM Reply

I'd prefer to do a digital card but I'd need to find a decent printer, maybe at school.
I could always do something with pencils but digital'd be much nicer looking.
Either way sign me up.

Spags
Spags
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to 2009 Holiday Card Exchange Nov. 23rd, 2009 @ 05:55 PM Reply

At 11/23/09 12:37 AM, Spaghetti14 wrote: I don't know if Im "known", but I'd like to participate in this!! I'm excited!
Just like in fashion, one day you're in, the next day you're out... Spaghetti14... you're in, you may leave the runway!! (I'm guessing no one is gonna get that! lol)

PROJECT RUNWAY :D :D :D
I watched season 3 and 4 but I haven't really been following it as of late.
I was rooting for Christian from the beginning.
His big beige poofy dress with the bigger guy was awesome.
Wow, they really need a nerd emoticon for these posts.

SirNightOwl
SirNightOwl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to 2009 Holiday Card Exchange Nov. 23rd, 2009 @ 06:02 PM Reply

I'm in ;) wanky face

Barrrre in mind my hands still broken so I'll ensure to put extra love into it to counter the crapness.

:3

BBS Signature
ReNaeNae
ReNaeNae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to 2009 Holiday Card Exchange Nov. 23rd, 2009 @ 06:07 PM Reply

woO! jonny! :D

I know some of you are hesitant to have your addresses given out... so, I'm looking into getting a PO Box. That way everyone could just send their cards to me (you guys trust me, right! muahahhahaa!) ...then I could throw 'em all in a big pile and randomly pick one to put into another larger envelope to send out to someone else (you'd get a code to put on your envelope to make sure you don't get your own back! :P) Plus this way I could make sure that only people who actually send one get one.

You wouldn't be able to personalize your cards because it would be completely random... but, would that work better for you guys?! I'm just trying to work this out so everyone that wants to participate... can!

Any input/suggestions to help things work better are greatly appreciated!! :D

At 11/23/09 05:55 PM, Spaghetti14 wrote: PROJECT RUNWAY :D :D :D
I was rooting for Christian from the beginning.

HAHAHA!!! cool points for you!!! I was rooting for Christian too... he's fierce! I almost made a game about him! lol... LAME! :D

Poor SNO!!! :(

AwesomeSaurus
AwesomeSaurus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to 2009 Holiday Card Exchange Nov. 23rd, 2009 @ 06:07 PM Reply

At 11/23/09 05:31 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
At 11/23/09 12:34 AM, AwesomeSaurus wrote:

ended recipient... instead of someone's parent or housemate... but I'm looking into another option. I'll let you know!!

I think names are gonna be needed, so that the opening line in the card isn't a faceless:

To Newgrounds User,
Love AwesomeSaurus
-x-

Haha! Very true, also wouldn't you like having a turkey with a Santa hat drinking a pint with pico? I was also wondering about the problem of possibly sending someone an Xmas card who doesn't celebrate xmas :/ I'll definitely be keeping mine "generic holiday" or include references to a bunch of religions/holiday stuff so it works with whoever.

austinzombie
austinzombie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to 2009 Holiday Card Exchange Nov. 23rd, 2009 @ 06:22 PM Reply

Whoever gets mine will have soiled pants till the new years

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to 2009 Holiday Card Exchange Nov. 23rd, 2009 @ 06:37 PM Reply

I like that randomness of the recipient better. That way you don't have to worry about personalizing the card for the recipient, but instead you personalize it with the sender. I already have an idea in mind for a card.

SNO - you could put some ink on your cast and rub it around on the card XD

Zyphonee
Zyphonee
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to 2009 Holiday Card Exchange Nov. 23rd, 2009 @ 06:38 PM Reply

I guess I'll make something :D