Respond to this Topic
TURDO
TURDO
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Treasure Hunt 2009 Results Part 9 Nov. 19th, 2009 @ 04:51 PM Reply

At 11/19/09 04:37 PM, Twilight wrote: "The finder of the gem and winner of $200 is TURDO."

Fuck Newgrounds.

D:

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Treasure Hunt 2009 Results Part 9 Nov. 19th, 2009 @ 05:00 PM Reply

At 11/19/09 04:46 PM, Luxury-Yacht wrote: How does "Criminal!" win when pitted against these entries:

I really can't give a perfect answer about why one movie wins over others, but I'll say I'm happy to see people debating over movies that had previously gone unrecognized.

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
JeremyFisher1000
JeremyFisher1000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Treasure Hunt 2009 Results Part 9 Nov. 19th, 2009 @ 05:01 PM Reply

Nice :P

Hulalaoo
Hulalaoo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Treasure Hunt 2009 Results Part 9 Nov. 19th, 2009 @ 05:04 PM Reply

lol, the troll of TURDO win, I have a suggestion TOM
I wanna a wacom bamboo fun tablet in my ass because im an asshole

Thematrix27
Thematrix27
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Treasure Hunt 2009 Results Part 9 Nov. 19th, 2009 @ 05:05 PM Reply

At 11/19/09 04:51 PM, TURDO wrote:
At 11/19/09 04:37 PM, Twilight wrote: "The finder of the gem and winner of $200 is TURDO."

Fuck Newgrounds.
D:

Don't let Needledick get you down. You did awesome.

omegared
omegared
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Treasure Hunt 2009 Results Part 9 Nov. 19th, 2009 @ 05:17 PM Reply

Ciminal won? Wow. I thought there were tons of gems that were way funnier and showed way more skill... Oh well, maybe that's the point ;)

CantflyRyan
CantflyRyan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Treasure Hunt 2009 Results Part 9 Nov. 19th, 2009 @ 05:33 PM Reply

Criminal! was a guilty pleasure for me in away, though there were a lot more deserving pieces. In a way though it seems way too hard to only narrow down thousands of movies submitted to one winner. These are just my thoughts, but I think it would be more beneficial if there were say a top 5 of the treasure hunt, and while the prize money would be smaller if split up, it would still be rewarding for those who found it.

orlandobloomington
orlandobloomington
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Treasure Hunt 2009 Results Part 9 Nov. 19th, 2009 @ 05:39 PM Reply

• CKC - Gangsta Beat
    CKC - Gangsta Beat by orlandobloomington

Click to listen.

Score
    2.45 / 5.00
    Type
    Loop
    Genre
    Hip Hop - Modern
    Popularity

TURDO
TURDO
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Treasure Hunt 2009 Results Part 9 Nov. 19th, 2009 @ 05:45 PM Reply

At 11/19/09 05:05 PM, Thematrix27 wrote:
At 11/19/09 04:51 PM, TURDO wrote:

Fuck Newgrounds.
D:
Don't let Needledick get you down. You did awesome.

He looks angry D: thanks though :')

BBS Signature
mastershake141
mastershake141
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Treasure Hunt 2009 Results Part 9 Nov. 19th, 2009 @ 06:14 PM Reply

Hey, congratulations TURDO,

Although, Am I the only one who finds it a little suspicious that there were a few accounts that voted for criminal who only have had 1 post.

I mean a few of the accounts were made the day that they voted for criminal and they haven't had any activity since.

Maybe I'm just a paranoid freak or maybe....just maybe.....

WE HAVE A MYSTERY ON OUR HANDS, SHAGGY AND SCOOBY, YOU TO GO CHECK THE GENERAL FORUMS, ME, VELMA,AND DAPHENE WILL CHECK THE FLASH PORTALS.

WE'LL MEET HERE IN AN HOUR.

Treasure Hunt 2009 Results Part 9

ughanation
ughanation
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Treasure Hunt 2009 Results Part 9 Nov. 19th, 2009 @ 06:26 PM Reply

I sent a message for the tablet. I sure hope I win one!

Congrats to the winners of the game treasure hunt.

Luxury-Yacht
Luxury-Yacht
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Movie Buff
Response to Treasure Hunt 2009 Results Part 9 Nov. 19th, 2009 @ 06:27 PM Reply

At 11/19/09 05:00 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 11/19/09 04:46 PM, Luxury-Yacht wrote: How does "Criminal!" win when pitted against these entries:
I really can't give a perfect answer about why one movie wins over others, but I'll say I'm happy to see people debating over movies that had previously gone unrecognized.

Well, I'm relieved that I'm not coming off as a TOTAL asshole, then.

Still, I'm looking through the "funny" nominees page, and looking at the votes, and I'm seeing some weird shit.

"Criminal!" got about 15 or so votes, give or take a couple mentions that were just mentions and not straight up votes. One of those votes was from the guy who suggested it. One vote was made today, which doesn't factor in. Then there are 8 votes made by people who have 5 or less BBS posts and haven't been on the site long. I just feel like they don't know what the fuck they're talking about, to be absolutely blunt. Shit, I bet the only reason a lot of people watched it was because the facial expression on the submission icon is a rip-off of the same face that Krinkels uses from time to time.

The more I think about it, the more I become actually angry. These fucking kids really fucked this up. How does "Criminal!" get that many votes, when something like this:

gets just over half as many? It's a God damned travesty. Seriously, I'm going to compare these two flashes.

ANIMATION/ART: "WhatD'YouThinkOfMyDadNow" wins. Hands fucking down. No contest. Case closed. It has multiple backgrounds, detailed character designs, smooth animation and lip syncing, the whole bit. Meanwhile, the art/animation in "Criminal!" was just not even remarkable except in that it was lacking overall. I mean, I get that the artist was going for a certain style to go with the story, but I feel like his attempt fell WELL short of what he was aiming for. If it was glitchiness he was going for, he barely broke the threshold of that style. If it was quirky scribbles, the animation was far too stiff and lifeless for that to work. The use of color was boring as all fuck. Frankly, the whole thing could have been done in MS Paint and come out better.

HUMOR: Again, "WhatD'YouThinkOfMyDadNow" wins easily. It may be a bit too twisted for some, but isn't NG supposed to be twisted when it wants to be? Aren't some of the most memorable and cherished flashes on this site the kind of thing you wouldn't want your parents to see (e.g. anything by Marc M., Stamper's "Rebecca", etc.)? Now, look at "Criminal!". Personally, I did not find this funny. I have a decently broad sense of humor, but this just didn't work for me at all. It just seemed trite and contrived, like it was predictable and stale before it even happened. The only humor that could be derived from this flash can be from two sources: the absurdity of the situation in the flash, and the faces the characters make. The absurdity wasn't funny after the first 30 seconds, because after that, it was just predictable and dull. The faces would only amuse the kind of person who pisses themselves laughing whenever someone says "IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAAAAND". I am saying this as someone who LOVES humorously drawn faces. I love a funny face. For example, look at most of Slintas' work. His facial expressions are all over the place, and always work well. The expressions in "Criminal!" are never very detailed, and when they are, they're poorly done. The main facial expression of the main character is based off of another picture, and Krinkels has used it several times. An example:

The "funny facial expressions" in that flash are simply regurgitations of things that have already been proven to be popular. No innovation was made. No risks were taken. And that is a shame.

VOICE ACTING: "WhatD'YouThinkOfMyDadNow" wins again. Good sound quality, and actual good voice acting, as well as a good script. The voices are creative and easily differentiated from, like the Jamaican accent of Mountain Mouse to the strange English dialect of the opening characters. Great timing, and great inflection. Really great work.
And back to "Criminal!". Big surprise, nothing special. Mediocre sound quality, shitty voices, and overall average to below average voice acting skill. Nothing exceptional here.

In all three of these categories, "WhatD'YouThinkOfMyDadNow" wins EASILY. The only one that could even really be up to debate would be the humor aspect, because tastes in humor vary so greatly, but even then, "WhatD'YouThinkOfMyDadNow" wins.

All this stuff, and that's only comparing ONE flash from ONE category to "Criminal!". There are other submissions arguably better than "WhatD'YouThinkOfMyDadNow", and yet they were beaten by "Criminal!"?

This is a clear example of how community voting can really go to shit. No other entry got more support than "Criminal!" to my knowledge, and yet, it really doesn't deserve that much attention. Hell, half the votes for it were by fucking 14 year olds who just found the God damned internet and still think that "That's what she said" qualifies as automatic comedic GOLD.

i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i
oh no I am choking on a million dicks

BBS Signature
Dragonheart91
Dragonheart91
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Treasure Hunt 2009 Results Part 9 Nov. 19th, 2009 @ 06:31 PM Reply

Yeah, I thought Criminal was one of the worst overall. I was really hoping for one winner per category or a top 5/10. Still only one cash payout, but a finals amongst the best in each category or just #1. I think that would give more exposure to more things for the same money.

I played all the games. I can review each of them if anyone thinks it would be helpful.

#1 http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/51 2919
Fun gameplay with good specials and good art. Overall probably the most flat-out fun game on the list.

#2 http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/47 4329
Interesting upgrade system and I love bomber man style games. It does get old after a while though.

#3 http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/50 0472
If it ramped up a bit faster I would have enjoyed it more. Still good though.

Honorable mention: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/43 5456
Great game, but I don't feel it should be considered a hidden gem since it has multiple highly successful sequels.

Luxury-Yacht
Luxury-Yacht
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Movie Buff
Response to Treasure Hunt 2009 Results Part 9 Nov. 19th, 2009 @ 06:35 PM Reply

At 11/19/09 06:31 PM, Dragonheart91 wrote: I was really hoping for one winner per category or a top 5/10. Still only one cash payout, but a finals amongst the best in each category or just #1. I think that would give more exposure to more things for the same money.

I actually was just thinking the same thing.

BBS Signature
JKMonkey
JKMonkey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Art Lover
Response to Treasure Hunt 2009 Results Part 9 Nov. 19th, 2009 @ 06:35 PM Reply

At 11/19/09 02:35 PM, TomFulp wrote:
On that note, it would also be nice if Wacom partnered with us to give out tablets... I should try to accomplish both of those things in 2010.

^^ that would be awesome if you could partner with both and give out both as like a Flash Maker's kit

to bad i have no good flash to deserve a wacom

|"My dick was in the Guinness Boom of World Records... Then I left the library.|

BBS Signature
averageroadkill
averageroadkill
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Treasure Hunt 2009 Results Part 9 Nov. 19th, 2009 @ 06:59 PM Reply

Hey, Luxury-Yacht, your precious Krinkels didn't make up that facial expression, you stupid ass. It originated from the most popularJapanese message board of all time, 2ch. Get your facts straight before you get your panties in a bunch and go off on huge rants spreading bullshit next time.

Luxury-Yacht
Luxury-Yacht
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Movie Buff
Response to Treasure Hunt 2009 Results Part 9 Nov. 19th, 2009 @ 07:41 PM Reply

At 11/19/09 06:59 PM, averageroadkill wrote: Hey, Luxury-Yacht, your precious Krinkels didn't make up that facial expression, you stupid ass. It originated from the most popularJapanese message board of all time, 2ch. Get your facts straight before you get your panties in a bunch and go off on huge rants spreading bullshit next time.

I said Krinkels USED that face, I didn't say he INVENTED it. I'm not even a Krinkels fan, I actually find his stuff to be okay at best. I didn't say where the face actually came from because that's totally irrelevant. That point is not the main argument I'm making, and you're pointing it out because it's the only part of my post that could be misconstrued as being inconsistent. You're just trying to start shit by being a dick, and it's obvious.

BBS Signature
bisker191
bisker191
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Treasure Hunt 2009 Results Part 9 Nov. 19th, 2009 @ 08:51 PM Reply

i will participate in this next year i was lazy

Osuka
Osuka
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 26
Animator
Response to Treasure Hunt 2009 Results Part 9 Nov. 19th, 2009 @ 09:11 PM Reply

Thanks to the ongoing success of Castle Crashers, we're once again giving away a bunch of Wacom Bamboo Fun tablets for the holidays.

YAY that awesome :D
Good luck to everyone this year

averageroadkill
averageroadkill
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Treasure Hunt 2009 Results Part 9 Nov. 19th, 2009 @ 09:29 PM Reply

At 11/19/09 07:41 PM, Luxury-Yacht wrote:
At 11/19/09 06:59 PM, averageroadkill wrote: Hey, Luxury-Yacht, your precious Krinkels didn't make up that facial expression, you stupid ass. It originated from the most popularJapanese message board of all time, 2ch. Get your facts straight before you get your panties in a bunch and go off on huge rants spreading bullshit next time.
I said Krinkels USED that face, I didn't say he INVENTED it. I'm not even a Krinkels fan, I actually find his stuff to be okay at best. I didn't say where the face actually came from because that's totally irrelevant. That point is not the main argument I'm making, and you're pointing it out because it's the only part of my post that could be misconstrued as being inconsistent. You're just trying to start shit by being a dick, and it's obvious.

Haha, yeah. I'm the one starting shit. Ooooooh boo-fucking-hoo the movies that you preferred didn't win. "Holy fucking shit what is wrong with you people how could you possibly have opinions that differ from mine!?" Well guess what, the majority of voters don't agree with your points and this is proven by the fact that CRIMINAL IS THE MOVIE THAT WON, SO TOO BAD. NONE OF YOUR POINTLESS RANTS CAN CHANGE THIS FACT.

rockymike
rockymike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Treasure Hunt 2009 Results Part 9 Nov. 19th, 2009 @ 09:41 PM Reply

Can we send in an entry for the Tablet on someone's behalf?

Lupedog, who has collaborated with me on the character design and animation in past has kinda dropped off the scene after his tablet broke about a year ago. This would be a good way to get him back in the game.

It serves its purpose.

BBS Signature
TomaO2
TomaO2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to Treasure Hunt 2009 Results Part 9 Nov. 19th, 2009 @ 10:23 PM Reply

At 11/19/09 12:37 PM, cast wrote: Hello.

I am cast, I have a suggestion.

I think it would way more fair if you split the 200 dollar prize between artist and gem finder. (Thats 100 bucks per person, or store credit) I don't see why the creators of these gems shouldn't receive a little something for their work, they did create it, and if it was never created there would be no treasure to hunt in the first place.

I always find this opinion insulting to the hard work I do every, single, year, in my efforts to try and highlight genuine newground gems.

Cast, I challange you to check out page 41 of my blog. I want you to look at the number of entries I have submitted. I want you to check out how many views they got. Every, single, one was under 10k views before this contest.

I want you to notice that they are all in chronological order from May 07 to May 08. Do you know how I managed to get so many flashes in this time frame? I looked at 90%+ of all the flashes that had a score of 3.00 or more every every week for a year. That's a good 5 hours a week I spend, just checking everything out. Probably a fair bit more time then that. I then went through them again and picked out all the ones that I felt could qualify for gem status. I did write ups, I put them into categories. Look at all the pages I have done, each one is another montly list of flashes I thought were decent. I have been doing this since 2005. Do you have any idea the number of hours I have invested? I even give new searchers an edge. Because I pick flashes that are at least a year old. This lets new submitters first dibs on anything that happened recently (such as "Undead Hunter", which I had already saved to my Dec08 list and would have submitted next year if it hadn't become a finalist for this contest).

50% of the work?

That's what you think my efforts are worth?

Flash authors already have daily awards, they have the monthly prizes, they have the fame and fans from people who admire what they did. This is a contest for the rest of us and, frankly, NOTHING is stopping the authors from submitting their own work.

"Criminal" wasn't my favorite flash but I sure liked it better then "WhatDoYouThinkOfMyDadNow", which I could only stand to watch for a minute before shutting it off. I've seen numerous flashes that I just hated, that won over the years. You should look at the first gem competition. That was just an awful group, in my opinion. Other then "Mug Hug", which was a sort of backup winner last year, this was the first winner that I actually enjoyed watching too.

I'd also like to point out that Criminal was submitted numerous times in the Gem Competition. There was something about this flash that made it get submitted as a contestant more times then most. Obviously, there was something about it that struck the interest of many people.

I'm happy that so many of the flashes I submitted got in as finalists, even if I didn't win. I may have put in more work then the other submitters but I don't begrudge them their winnings. I've been in every Gem Competition since it started and while haven't won one yet, I'm pleased to help out artists that have had good works be sadly neglected.

I even got two more of my submissions picked for the action category as well (although the 'Moss' series got super popular in later incarnations and may not be the best gem pick). I feel "-The Haunted House-" was pretty fun playing and hope people consider voting for it.

-----

I have to say though, I think we hit a point of diminishing returns, Tom. The last few days had a real drop off in flash reviews. While, I do appreciate trying to maximize the number of flashes that deserve a bit more attention, and I haven't had any real problem looking though them all, I think the format of 4 pages might have worked a bit better then this year did. Maybe there is a happy medium like 6 pages that would be the best amount to try.

Collecting NG's undiscovered gems has been a hobby of mine since 2005. I am curently posting them on my blog.

Feel free to check them out and tell me what you think.

Fautzo
Fautzo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Treasure Hunt 2009 Results Part 9 Nov. 20th, 2009 @ 12:05 AM Reply

man, i just got a tablet, this could've ben my chance to SHINE ON!!!!

dude

DeadEndWorldStudios
DeadEndWorldStudios
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Treasure Hunt 2009 Results Part 9 Nov. 20th, 2009 @ 01:49 AM Reply

At 11/19/09 11:52 AM, H-A-X-O-R-Z wrote: Ahh games, truly the best subject

Right you are there caption. Nothing beats a good game. Well then again.......

Treasure Hunt 2009 Results Part 9

Sig by ToastedToastyToast

BBS Signature
Fate
Fate
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Animator
Response to Treasure Hunt 2009 Results Part 9 Nov. 20th, 2009 @ 01:59 AM Reply

At 11/20/09 01:49 AM, DeadEndWorldStudios wrote:
At 11/19/09 11:52 AM, H-A-X-O-R-Z wrote: Ahh games, truly the best subject
Right you are there caption. Nothing beats a good game. Well then again.......

That looks disgustingly delicious.

BBS Signature
Luxury-Yacht
Luxury-Yacht
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Movie Buff
Response to Treasure Hunt 2009 Results Part 9 Nov. 20th, 2009 @ 02:15 AM Reply

At 11/19/09 09:29 PM, averageroadkill wrote:
Haha, yeah. I'm the one starting shit. Ooooooh boo-fucking-hoo the movies that you preferred didn't win. "Holy fucking shit what is wrong with you people how could you possibly have opinions that differ from mine!?" Well guess what, the majority of voters don't agree with your points and this is proven by the fact that CRIMINAL IS THE MOVIE THAT WON, SO TOO BAD. NONE OF YOUR POINTLESS RANTS CAN CHANGE THIS FACT.

Can you fucking explain to me what is good about "Criminal!"? DO IT. Fucking do it. Explain to me why that single movie is deserving of being the gem of 2009. Explain to me why that movie is better than the dozens of other movies in several different categories.

I'm not asking for Tom to change the results. That's ridiculous, they've already been decided. I don't expect to change anything. What I would LIKE is for SOMEONE to put forth some DECENT MOTHERFUCKING EFFORT into explaining WHY "Criminal!" won over so many other entries that just seem so much better to me in so many different ways.

I understand that people have opinions about the movie. However, I'd like some opinions and reasoning that go deeper than "OMG LOL HIS FACE IS SOOOO FUNNY 10000/10000 POINTZ LULZ" to help me understand how it won.

So, instead of coming out and being an utter prick and calling me a whiner (which I probably am", why don't you at least TRY to be constructive and tell me WHY THAT FUCKING MOVIE DESERVES TO WIN WITH REASONING PERTAINING DIRECTLY TO THE QUALITY OF THE MOVIE IN QUESTION. Why did it get so many votes? Why was it even nominated? MAKE ME FUCKING UNDERSTAND, YOU BLISTERING CUNT.

BBS Signature
Casualty
Casualty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Musician
Response to Treasure Hunt 2009 Results Part 9 Nov. 20th, 2009 @ 05:54 AM Reply

At 11/19/09 12:51 PM, TURDO wrote:
At 11/19/09 12:45 PM, cast wrote:
At 11/19/09 12:44 PM, TURDO wrote:
;)
You greedy little 14 year old!

Waves his tiny fist menacingly.
Thats me :D

Buy beer with the money.

Holmfry
Holmfry
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Game Developer
Response to Treasure Hunt 2009 Results Part 9 Nov. 20th, 2009 @ 08:33 AM Reply

Tom, my vote goes to:

• Spyke
    Spyke by Kenney

Click to view.

Type
    Game
    Rated
    Everyone

I've always loved games with simple concepts that are executed in a styilstic (read: retro!) way. The kickass music helps, too.

Dragonheart91
Dragonheart91
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Treasure Hunt 2009 Results Part 9 Nov. 20th, 2009 @ 09:45 AM Reply

Oh, and for the record I think that using "Action" as a category is BS. There's pretty much two types of games. Action games and games that only react to your input. (E.G. Point and click or turn-based) IMO, this section should have been broken down into Platformer Games and Brawlers. Then it would at least make sense.

TURDO
TURDO
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Treasure Hunt 2009 Results Part 9 Nov. 20th, 2009 @ 12:30 PM Reply

At 11/20/09 05:54 AM, Casualty wrote:
At 11/19/09 12:51 PM, TURDO wrote:
At 11/19/09 12:45 PM, cast wrote:
At 11/19/09 12:44 PM, TURDO wrote:
;)