00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

aniMATING just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Spunky6666 Land

11,433 Views | 82 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Spunky6666 Land 2010-02-05 16:57:49

At 2/4/10 09:20 PM, PrinceFlea wrote: Do you have any animations on here yet?

No, but I wish I did. In fact, I'd really like to, but I don't have flash. Plus, even if I did, I wouldn't know how to use it. I have some ideas for animations though, once I figure all the technical stuff out.

Come reply to my Art Thread or I will forever hate you with a passion!

BBS Signature

Response to Spunky6666 Land 2010-03-04 18:41:31

Twitchy teh Bear PWN'S.

END OF FRICKEN STORY

psych0

Response to Spunky6666 Land 2010-05-08 21:01:37

At 3/4/10 06:41 PM, meme654 wrote: Twitchy teh Bear PWN'S.

END OF FRICKEN STORY

Thank you very much, I'm sure he'll be happy to hear that he has a fan! Well, I haven't posted here in a while, but now I finally have a reason to. The following picture is titled "Rob the zombie meets Pico" and it's actually pretty self explanetory. I like how this turned out, and I think it represents a benchmark of improvement for me. Compare this drawing to the first Rob the zombie one (refer to the original post) and you'll see what I mean. However, I may have to revise this later on, as I feel like I was pressed by the Pico Day deadline and I think I could make it even better by adding more, for example, a health bar. Anyway, what does the population of the art forum think?

Oh, yeah, I almost forgot. As far as Twitchy goes, keep your eyes peeled, you'll be seeing quite a bit more of him in the not so distant future.

Spunky6666 Land

BBS Signature

Response to Spunky6666 Land 2010-05-11 16:20:00

Is this the thing I was supposed to respond to?
It's great.

Response to Spunky6666 Land 2010-05-12 19:43:06

about the latest picture, it looks better then most other things, but the character rob doesn't seem to have improved much from the original (with the dancing)

I would recommend adding shades to the persons, (and other objects) doesn't have to be do realistic but giving one side a darker edge and the other side maybe a highlight can realy improve your art with little effort, but i see u used some shading on the lockers and stuff,

also the school map looks a bit weird, the hallway is as big as the classrooms? or is there no hallway,

and your lockers are in the wall and the wall (at the door) has no width,
to give your cartoons more depth and realism u could look up one-point (or two point) perspective, gonna try a link here, one point perspective but google it or go on youtube and u can find stuff about it.

if that might be to hard or not your thing u could also look up isometric perspective but that is less realistic,but easier

hope this helped.

Programming is a race between software engineers building bigger and better programs, and the Universe producing bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

BBS Signature

Response to Spunky6666 Land 2010-05-12 23:04:35

I agree with a few of your points, but you need to actually play Pico's School. In the game, the map looks like that. I agree that Rob may need some minor adjustments, and this is under discussion between the author and I.

Response to Spunky6666 Land 2010-07-06 20:48:49

At 5/12/10 11:04 PM, ArthuruhtrA wrote: I agree with a few of your points, but you need to actually play Pico's School. In the game, the map looks like that. I agree that Rob may need some minor adjustments, and this is under discussion between the author and I.

To explain this, I happen to know ArthuruhtrA in real life, and we had a conversation about the picture face to face. Anyways, I have kind of big news! I've finally released a new picture, and it features three new characters: Paco the speedy Taco, Tito the flying Burrito and Dr. Man Egg. Now (obviously) this is a parody of Sonic the Hedgehog 2, and I'm fairly proud of this one because, well, it's probably my best yet. I mean, I even attempted shade and shadow, 3D-like effects and attention to detail in this one, which is a big step for me. I almost think that this would be a cool idea for a real game. You know, that is if Paco didn't have green eyes. The green eyes totally ruin it. But seriously, what do you think? Have I done good? Let me know what you like and/or don't like about the picture, and you just might get a cookie.

Spunky6666 Land

BBS Signature

Response to Spunky6666 Land 2010-07-06 21:21:41

Your art is fairly mediocre, but I've seen some great pencil pieces and with enough work you can easily put digital cartooning work to shame. Your problem is that you're not willing to spend the time that needs to be spent in order to make a piece great. You're going to need to go through every piece that you've done, every stage of the drawing, doing revisions and alterations - anything that needs doing, doing.

First of all, your lineart. This is want you want to concentrate on - coloured pencils look incredibly cheap, and using them for anything more then mild colour tinges (say, a hat here or a sword there) but in drawn artwork it's the lineart that sells the piece. You probably want to start off by going through sketch layers - that is, starting out with nothing more then positioning the characters, then basic body parts, then your details. That's just to get the lot underway, but because it's pencil work sketches are fairly easy to do and are quite expendable.

Secondly, you want to do some experimentation with lineart thickness - cartooning, you can go incredibly thick and it will hardly affect the picture itself, so go nuts. Firming in, cross-hatching, corner-work - all things that would be great for you to consider in order to increase your skill with the pencil, try and just master every single technique you can find - while it may not always help with cartooning, be assured that later down the line that you will want these techniques learnt, so learning them ASAP will help you get around the blockade.

You might want to try using ink, too. While canvas and general painting (those which make the artwork look "prettiest") may not be directly available to you, inking is always a good way to finish off a piece and that it's also great to make any pencil artwork look, well, great. Any perceived loss of detail is made up for in straight, binding lines, and an overall sense of finish to the picture. I've heard people complain that the loss of "texture" in the work when you're not using pencils at all, but to be honest it's not worth the loss of professional quality that you get when refusing to ink your work.

A few pointers, just to help get you in the right direction, whether you end up doing this type of work or this type of work, it's completely up to you.

Response to Spunky6666 Land 2010-07-07 22:19:59

Well, thanks for the advice. I definitely do have lots of stuff to work on, namely drawing... better. I feel like learning some techniques would be a good idea, and I think that my next drawing will be more focused in on one or two things so I can work on that. It's just a matter of time and practice before I find a good combination of cartoony and well drawn, and I should probably work on doing finding that combination before I move on. Seriously though, thanks for taking your time to give me your thoughts on my stuff, I appreciate it.

BBS Signature

Response to Spunky6666 Land 2011-01-22 15:35:23

Hey guys, I painted something new! I put a lot of time into this, and I think it's more artsy than my previous stuff. You like?

Spunky6666 Land

BBS Signature

Response to Spunky6666 Land 2011-02-26 14:58:54

I tried oil pastels. Opinions?

Spunky6666 Land

BBS Signature

Response to Spunky6666 Land 2011-02-26 16:30:33

At 2/26/11 02:58 PM, Spunky6666 wrote: I tried oil pastels. Opinions?

Be careful when you use pastels, it's easy to smudge the colours and mess up the piece.
There's some bad line smudging on the arms of the bone character in the top left, the guitar thing in the middle and the book guy to the right.

Response to Spunky6666 Land 2011-02-27 14:23:35

Looks cool.

Response to Spunky6666 Land 2011-02-28 15:22:48

At 2/27/11 02:23 PM, ArthuruhtrA wrote: Looks cool.

Thanks, Arthur. And yes, thanks for replying Big-Johnny, I was kind of kicking myself when I saw those marks. I screwed up the blending a little. I feel like this one is better.

Spunky6666 Land

BBS Signature

Response to Spunky6666 Land 2011-02-28 16:07:20

Oh, that last one looks really nice! Very smooth and the colours match well.
I liked your drawings for their simplicity, it had a childish charm to it, but I'm glad you're trying new stuff too. It seems to be working for you, and there's more to look at than before.

Response to Spunky6666 Land 2011-07-13 19:39:28

At 2/28/11 04:07 PM, Morthagg wrote: Oh, that last one looks really nice! Very smooth and the colours match well.
I liked your drawings for their simplicity, it had a childish charm to it, but I'm glad you're trying new stuff too. It seems to be working for you, and there's more to look at than before.

Thanks, I'm trying to branch out, but I haven't abandoned my cartoons or anything. I just figure that if I can get better at drawing in general, then my cartoons will look better too.

Oh, and here's a still life. I took a lot of time on this one, more than anything else on this thread, so it's a lot better than the past stuff, at least technically. Also, if it looks a little off, there's two reasons:

1. My scanner is dumpy and terrible at everything.
2. I had to edit out my name and birthdate, and I'm not very good with paint...

Let me know what you think of it.

Spunky6666 Land

BBS Signature

Response to Spunky6666 Land 2011-07-28 18:37:55

Aaw, c'mooooon guys, really? Nothing? Oh well, maybe my earlier posts are scaring people away...

Anyway, here's a new one. It's just a bunch of 3D shapes in two point perspective, but I think they're pretty good, and I'm hoping they demonstrate improvement in shading ability.

Spunky6666 Land

BBS Signature

Response to Spunky6666 Land 2011-07-29 04:50:12

Hey man! cool that you're back, those last two pieces do show improvement indeed so good job!

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to Spunky6666 Land 2011-10-02 12:12:38

At 10/1/11 08:51 PM, Sehcnew wrote: Funny piece you got there. Your art reminds me of LazyMuffin.

Holy cowpies, the guy who made the Nameless series? Thanks! I'd say that wins the award for best compliment in the thread so far. It's larde, shiny, golden and shaped like a cup with handles on both sides and the number one on the front.

Anyway, I realized that the comic had my real name on it, so I had it deleted as soon as possible, which is why Sehcnew quoted a post that is no longer here. There was about a twenty minute period where my real name was on the nets, which totally freaked me out because I don't need a bunch of you pervisaurus rexes all up in mah bizz-natch. YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE >:(

That said, Wayde Fulp was kind enough to delete the post for me, and now I'm reuploading it, with my name censored this time.

Spunky6666 Land

BBS Signature

Response to Spunky6666 Land 2011-10-02 12:59:52

you irish?

Response to Spunky6666 Land 2011-10-02 14:24:44

Your style is interesting, but it feels incomplete. There are a lot of empty zones in your art, like big chunks where there's nothing happening. I think your style is one that would greatly benefit from a generous amount of gratuitous details.
The best example I could think of is Vinnie, or Kite-ride on Deviantart. Most of his penciled works are pretty impressive to look at, not because of his skill but just the amount of detailwork he's poured into it.

That being said, I've come to realize from personal experience that comments and critique are things that you must earn, not things that are owed to you. When people aren't impressed, they don't comment-- that fact in itself is a form of critique. It means you still have room for improvement if people aren't moved enough to leave a word of advice or encouragement. At least, that's how I see it.

BBS Signature

Response to Spunky6666 Land 2011-10-10 19:28:40

At 10/2/11 02:24 PM, Kumakun4 wrote: Your style is interesting, but it feels incomplete. There are a lot of empty zones in your art, like big chunks where there's nothing happening. I think your style is one that would greatly benefit from a generous amount of gratuitous details.
The best example I could think of is Vinnie, or Kite-ride on Deviantart. Most of his penciled works are pretty impressive to look at, not because of his skill but just the amount of detailwork he's poured into it.

Wait until you see the piece I'm working on now in response to this post. It'll be like... details, details EVERYWHERE.

BBS Signature

Response to Spunky6666 Land 2012-02-05 18:41:18

At 10/10/11 07:28 PM, Spunky6666 wrote:
At 10/2/11 02:24 PM, Kumakun4 wrote: Your style is interesting, but it feels incomplete. There are a lot of empty zones in your art, like big chunks where there's nothing happening. I think your style is one that would greatly benefit from a generous amount of gratuitous details.
Wait until you see the piece I'm working on now in response to this post. It'll be like... details, details EVERYWHERE.

When the Mushroom Kingdom is overtaken by a mysterious group of terrorist Piantas, the Pianta Syndicate, Mario is forced to take part in the world's most dangerous reality game show- Game And Death Watch. The winner of this free for all gore-fest receives not only one billion coins, but also the most fabulous prize of them all- Princess Peach! Luckily for Mario, he's found himself a weapon to fend off the newest gang of baddies, and his name is K.R.U.D.D., (Killing Ready Utility Designed for Death) the walking, talking, blood hungry chainsaw. Will Mario be able to save Peach in time? Can the Mushroom Kingdom be saved? And just who IS the leader of the Pianta Syndicate? Find out in Super Mario World, available at stores near you in early 2013. With hilarious commentary provided by Wario and Waluigi, crazy, nonstop action and more blood than you can shake a raccoon tail at, this is one adventure you won't wanna miss!

So yeah, obviously a Mario World parody. I tried to include as many details as possible, and I think I did a pretty good job of filling in the open space- nothing looks too empty, I don't think. I feel like this is a big improvement over my other stuff... agreed?

Spunky6666 Land

BBS Signature