KingLevon
KingLevon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Revise Newgrounds Nov. 9th, 2009 @ 10:19 PM Reply

At 11/9/09 01:04 PM, Xatanxa wrote:

And this way, we could have a spam free newgrounds.
lmao

HeavyMetalGuy
HeavyMetalGuy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Audiophile
Response to Revise Newgrounds Nov. 9th, 2009 @ 10:25 PM Reply

As far as user page customization goes, I'd like to see you be able to put images on the banners to the left and right of the page. Like the ads on the sides of the front page.

HollowedPumkinz
HollowedPumkinz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to Revise Newgrounds Nov. 10th, 2009 @ 01:05 AM Reply

Review Revision my friend. I get so mad when someone makes a wonderful review on a popular flash showing all of it's kinks and bumps and how they can approve and then before the author even gets time to see it gets pushed down by about 5 pages of "lol that was great 10/10 5/5"(and trust me if you've made a popular flash(not that I would know but still) you aren't going to wade through 5 pages of reviews on the off-hand chance that someone made a review of value). I've seen it happen to countless people.(yeah. sometimes I like to look at reviews a lot)

So anyway. What I suggest is that the voting mechanism for reviews be put into action. That someones review can be voted on so that way even if 10 other people made shit reviews yours( the one that every one likes) stays on top. But I've discussed this before and got some good feed back on how spammers would abuse this just to have their 0 bombing crap of a review on top. Luckily I thought of way out of this. Actually two:

1. The author has the nifty ability to show what format the reviews are laid out(Either by original way or by vote). That way, if in fact somehow a spammer managed to get top spot then the author could switch format so that the horrid thing is pushed into the abyss of unread reviews. This is also good for new flash animators who say they want helpful advice.

2. There is a top spot for reviews. Directly below the author comments is a box that looks just like the 'authors response' box you see when a author responds. except slightly darker. With a title that says Most helpful review...<insert great review>. As for the rest of the reviews that never made it to the box they go on in order like you see now. Except for that one review that is always there and can't be voted on any longer unless it is out voted by another review. But here is the catch to stop a spammer. The author gets to choose if the box is displayed or not. AND if the author doesn't hate that review but would rather have another one there than he could choose a review and it would get the top spot with a title change of Authors choice review...<insert wide range of reviews>. This way it gives full control to the author as to what review he/she wants everyone to see.

The real thing I want this to accomplish is that serious reviewers can finally shine through others who just want to comment with " lol. cool flash dude". And give more power to the Author as to what reviews they want the people to see. (After all it is their flash so they should be able to handle reviews any way they want as long as it doesn't effect score) Although this may not be the fully correct way to do these it is, I think, a step in the right direction. One problem I can see is authors abusing #2's ability by putting a review that makes the flash look good (it may have even be written by their alt. <_<) in order to persuade people to look at their shitty flash. but that is pretty minor in the long run.

Even as I walk through the shadow of the Valley of Death, I shall fear no Evil. Semper Fidelis

BBS Signature
GeneralAC
GeneralAC
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Revise Newgrounds Nov. 10th, 2009 @ 01:12 AM Reply

I want more damn levels, but I want them to be easier to get. How about 100 levels, but as hard as it is now to get to 60 will be getting to 100.

This post was valuable.

gumOnShoe
gumOnShoe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Revise Newgrounds Nov. 10th, 2009 @ 06:44 AM Reply

At 11/9/09 10:14 PM, The-Great-One wrote: Also um gumOnshoe... isn't this just a blatant copy of liljim's thread and/or just you posting your opinions on what you want for Newgrounds and thus should go in that thread.

IF, you are so completely unimaginative about the state & progression of the site that you can't re-envision the entire thing around its core, you're probably not doing it right. If you have a UNIQUE feature request, then you SHOULD post it in liljim's thread. Have you ever written a paper? Revising is the equivalent of throwing out entire paragraphs and sentences and adding new ones in. Editing is the minor stuff, the feature request.

If you post in liljim's thread that you want to see Newgrounds develop its own magazine with electronic paper that delivers the top 5 flash movies of the week to your front door Harry Potter style, that would be completely useless and not appropriate for that thread, but you could do that here.

Also, I would love to see this happen at the least with year end winners.

Just wondering.

The internet is not a Crusade. Try to remember that. There is no ultimate right or wrong or greatness to be obtained, especially if you want to obtain it. I'm only saying this because you severely annoyed me by interacting with me in this one topic, and I can see you are well meaning, but doesn't make we not want to punch you in the face.

Newgrounds Anthology? 20,000 Word Max. [Submit]

Music? Click Sig:

BBS Signature
Vectom
Vectom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Revise Newgrounds Nov. 10th, 2009 @ 07:36 AM Reply

At 11/9/09 01:15 PM, Sheizenhammer wrote: Portal mods
I never undrstood why we have audio and art mods, but no flash portal mods. It would make Wade's job a lot easier if he could rely on some people to help him get rid of the crap that shouldn't be in the portal, as well as reduce the time taken for stolen stuff to be removed. It would also be a lot harder to smartass your way around than the judgement filter and whistle (fooling both is child's play to any determined spammer / thief).

I have two things to say.

1. This is a great idea and I think it should be done, it will indeed make Wade's job alot easier with mods monitoring the portal and keeping shit away from the portal.
2. BUT, some little humour can be found in those little spam flash cartoons. Maybe it's just me but I find humour in those flash videos, of course if they're not malicious. offensive doesn't bother me. because you can find alot of flash cartoons that are highly offensive although successful.

So..I really don't know if to support this or not..

Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Revise Newgrounds Nov. 10th, 2009 @ 07:46 AM Reply

An iPhone version of the forums?

For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
Innermike
Innermike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Revise Newgrounds Nov. 10th, 2009 @ 08:43 AM Reply

At 11/10/09 07:46 AM, Yamor wrote: An iPhone version of the forums?

Holy shit that just reminded me of something.

Why not have a sort of push application for NG available for not only computer but for ipod touch/iphone for new threads and shit ?

Also CS5 is coming out with iphone developing support which means more NG flash can go mobile so maybe have a section where great flash can be ported to iphone or just iphone specific stuff and downloaded after all if NG does get a little wider well have the space on the toolbar ;) when you view something next to add as favorite you can choose download or download a channel which can be synced with your iphones NG app .

Making NG appear on more platforms would definitely be great.

Also if there was a way of making the forums more dynamic ( like you userpage looks ) then we wouldnt really need chat ( to be honest i dont think chat would be that great anyway )

A system of ranking usefulness would be nice , like on reviews you can choose good or bad should be put on almost everything you do so your usefulness can be assessed (maybe put on a kick ass chart)

Design wise i dont have many ideas on how it could be improved apart from widening it up a bit as most people these days are adopting a widescreen format

The one thing i dont want is NG turning into facebook *shivers*

Concerned Joe (not mine but still cool)

BBS Signature
The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
Response to Revise Newgrounds Nov. 10th, 2009 @ 10:47 AM Reply

At 11/10/09 06:44 AM, gumOnShoe wrote: I'm only saying this because you severely annoyed me by interacting with me in this one topic, and I can see you are well meaning, but doesn't make we not want to punch you in the face.

I severely annoyed you? I was just giving my thoughts on your revisions like anybody would. I was also pointing out that it should probably belong in liljim's thread, which as you explained doesn't, for you see I did not know.

Then again oh please forgive me for actually trying to connect with one of the holy moderators I did not know I had sinned.

| The Interviewer | Review Terms 3.0 | [This Space For Rent ] | Club Stoic |

BBS Signature
Goldfire64
Goldfire64
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Revise Newgrounds Nov. 10th, 2009 @ 10:51 AM Reply

At 11/9/09 10:19 PM, wtflolnoob wrote: In the future, we won't need Newgrounds.

We will all have realized that there is no Newgrounds.

What if Newgrounds becomes an actual place?
and insted of fourms we all end up in a big convetion hall together, yelling at each other, telling cock jokes, and using actual paint to put penises on things.

And in this hall there is a balcony from where Tom Fulp sits, so he can survey all that is his domain.

gumOnShoe
gumOnShoe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Revise Newgrounds Nov. 10th, 2009 @ 10:55 AM Reply

At 11/10/09 10:47 AM, The-Great-One wrote: Then again oh please forgive me for actually trying to connect with one of the holy moderators I did not know I had sinned.

No, you didn't sin, I'm not above you. You told me to pm everyone on Staff with my ideas and essentially ram gang this idea into existence, which is what I'm claiming is annoying.

Newgrounds Anthology? 20,000 Word Max. [Submit]

Music? Click Sig:

BBS Signature
Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to Revise Newgrounds Nov. 10th, 2009 @ 11:03 AM Reply

I would implement a warning system instead of a banning system. I think its too inconvenient to go and send a pm to users warning them that they are on the verge of a ban and so its just default to just ban them. It would be easier if there was some way of implementing an m-bot pm or something when a mod has flagged a user with a warning. That way other mods who are browsing the forums would know this guy/girl has gotten a fair warning and was well aware of whats comming to him. I think it would breed alot less bitterness amongst users who always complain that they 'didnt know'.

Maybe the warning system could even be adapted to being a series of radio buttons of what rule the user is breaking and should be warned about. That way there would be no question that a mod is enforcing a rule and not just warning cause he doesnt like users under 14 or something.

None

Box-Killa
Box-Killa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Revise Newgrounds Nov. 10th, 2009 @ 11:09 AM Reply

I think we should not have just 3 portals, but 24 portals. Because I like portals

SickDeathFiend
SickDeathFiend
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Animator
Response to Revise Newgrounds Nov. 10th, 2009 @ 12:04 PM Reply

I would like to have a small .fla portal so people can upload content to share to other artists to use, and possibly share revenue with for using the shared assets.

from art to actionscript stuff. So for example someone is making a game but lacks drawing/animating skills, could cruise the .fla portal find what he wants and use it. maybe something like that. possibly even charge money for the .fla and newgrounds could take a cut to help keep the site going strong.

Bringing the violence back to NG, one flash at a time..

Twickr
Twickr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Revise Newgrounds Nov. 10th, 2009 @ 12:44 PM Reply

Nice ideas

The chat is not finished.
200!

BBS Signature
geterkikzkid
geterkikzkid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Revise Newgrounds Nov. 10th, 2009 @ 12:58 PM Reply

At 11/10/09 11:03 AM, Luis wrote: Awesome ideas.

That would be revolutionary. I think it'd help allot of people who accidentally fucked up.

The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
Response to Revise Newgrounds Nov. 10th, 2009 @ 02:25 PM Reply

At 11/10/09 10:55 AM, gumOnShoe wrote: No, you didn't sin, I'm not above you. You told me to pm everyone on Staff with my ideas and essentially ram gang this idea into existence, which is what I'm claiming is annoying.

Ah. Well I apologize if I annoyed you with the PM. However I still stand by by saying you should PM the staff and share these ideas with them.

| The Interviewer | Review Terms 3.0 | [This Space For Rent ] | Club Stoic |

BBS Signature