• 12 Replies
PinballWizard976
PinballWizard976
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
- NG Reading Club - 2009-11-07 01:31:49

Hey there. I've noticed lately that there is at least a decent amount of people on the BBS who enjoy reading, and after various searches to try and find a book club or something of the sort yielded no results, I thought that it would be a good idea to start a club about reading.

In here it doesn't have to pertain to just books. We can discuss poetry, short stories, whatever you find to be a good read.

Oh, and obvious rules apply. No flaming, don't spam up the club, y'know, the usual BBS rules.

So to get the ball rolling, why don't we start by saying your favorite authors, books, poems, etc?

I think by far the one thing that won't ever change in my taste of literature is my favorite book. I am, of course, talking about A Clockwork Orange. The meaning behind it, the way it is literally written with the nadsat language, how it touches on the subject of free will, everything about it is incredible. And, although it's pretty generic, I really love The Catcher in the Rye; especially the colloquial style in which it's written. Another series I love is The Lord of the Rings. I am currently reading them again, and I'm right in the middle of the two towers, just about to start book 4. The amount of effort and time and everything about it from the made-up languages, to the incredible amount of lore (this always fascinated me; he literally created a different world), is really remarkable. I actually read the books before I saw the movies, but when I read them the first time I was probably like 12. I had found them in a box in the attic, and decided to give them a read. They were my dad's old versions, although not the ones that used words like "elfin" or "elfish". I read the fellowship of the ring and the two towers, but the return of the king wasn't there, so I never read it. Then I saw the movies a bit later, and being the young kid I was I enjoyed them more. I mean, who doesn't love a huge battle? But now that I'm reading them again I find that I really enjoy the books much much more. The way he writes is incredible.

And as far as poetry, I really like Jim Morrison's poetry. I know, again pretty generic. But I find it great. Also, Edgar Allen Poe. But who doesn't love him.

And for other types of writing, I really like Ralph Waldo Emerson and Henry David Thoreau. Solitude is one of my favorites of Thoreau.

SO, anyways, back to the club. I almost forgot about it there for a sec. I tend to get wrapped up in different literature and forget what I'm talking about. The things I've listed are more or less my favorite authors and works of literature, and I really enjoy reading. I'm always open to reading something new or different, and I would love to hear of something else to read, and I'm sure I will once this club gets rolling. So, if you wanna join up, let's hear your tastes in literature! I can't wait to discuss this type of thing. :)

Tateos
Tateos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Audiophile
Response to - NG Reading Club - 2009-11-07 01:35:08

HELL YES.

My current favorite author is Terry Pratchett.

PinballWizard976
PinballWizard976
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to - NG Reading Club - 2009-11-07 01:42:36

At 11/7/09 01:35 AM, Tateos wrote: HELL YES.

Awesome. It's great to see a member so soon. And I find Pratchett's work a very nice read. Very humorous. I've read (I think) the first seven or eight books of the Discworld series. I guess I should go down to the local library again soon to start reading some of it since I'm reading LoTR right now. It'll be a nice combo. All serious stuff with elves and everything, then to read something of the same genre only making fun of it. I really should read some more of his stuff sometime.

gamer30hrplus
gamer30hrplus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to - NG Reading Club - 2009-11-07 02:25:58

W.E.B Griffin and Thomas Paine are my favorite authors. I like deep books.
My first favorite book i do not remember but my favorites now are The Age Of Reason and For King And Country.
I love the DragonLance series. Raistlin was my favorite characture in the series.

Once you get to know me i can turn out to be a friend. If you wanna know something just ask.

I can be a genie. If you rub me the right way.Transgender Intersexed Group

BBS Signature
Tateos
Tateos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Audiophile
Response to - NG Reading Club - 2009-11-07 02:40:12

At 11/7/09 01:42 AM, PinballWizard976 wrote:

Awesome. It's great to see a member so soon. And I find Pratchett's work a very nice read. Very humorous. I've read (I think) the first seven or eight books of the Discworld series. I guess I should go down to the local library again soon to start reading some of it since I'm reading LoTR right now. It'll be a nice combo. All serious stuff with elves and everything, then to read something of the same genre only making fun of it. I really should read some more of his stuff sometime.

Yeah, they're really good. I just finished Reaper Man a few weeks ago.

On an unrelated subject, were reading The Lord of the Flies in class.
The book is pretty deep, with some of the points it tries to make, but I also think there's a lot of pessimism in there.

I'm actually reading some Far Side (Gary Larson comic, you've probably at least heard of it.) right now. This is some funny stuff.

PinballWizard976
PinballWizard976
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to - NG Reading Club - 2009-11-07 03:10:16

At 11/7/09 02:40 AM, Tateos wrote:
At 11/7/09 01:42 AM, PinballWizard976 wrote:

Yeah, they're really good. I just finished Reaper Man a few weeks ago.

I can't really remember which book in the series that is. :\ I know that he wrote like 40 or something though. Now that's real dedication to something.

On an unrelated subject, were reading The Lord of the Flies in class.
The book is pretty deep, with some of the points it tries to make, but I also think there's a lot of pessimism in there.

I haven't read lord of the flies yet. I've heard good things about it though. I'm pretty sure that we're going to read it in the spring in English

I'm actually reading some Far Side (Gary Larson comic, you've probably at least heard of it.) right now. This is some funny stuff.

Ah that's by far my favorite comic. I don't really ever read comic books but the far side is something you can sit down and read cover to cover.

Here's one of my favorites

- NG Reading Club -

PinballWizard976
PinballWizard976
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to - NG Reading Club - 2009-11-07 03:27:06

Oh wups I forgot to put this in my last post, but thanks a bunch for putting a link in your sig. Maybe this can get big some day.

At 11/7/09 02:25 AM, gamer30hrplus wrote: W.E.B Griffin and Thomas Paine are my favorite authors. I like deep books.
My first favorite book i do not remember but my favorites now are The Age Of Reason and For King And Country.
I love the DragonLance series. Raistlin was my favorite characture in the series.

Woah age of reason? I've been meaning to read that for a while now. Not because I'm some bible-hating anti-jesus kinda guy but mostly because I never really understood organized religion and things such as the pope, or how you must follow all these rules and regulations. The way I see it is that we shouldn't worry about everything like that, and just love life rather than analyze it. Let god do his thing if he's out there, and if not; then oh well. It doesn't make a difference anyways. But that's getting off-topic and into the classic argument about whether god exists, so back to age of reason. I've really been wanting to read that. I can see that it agrees with my views of questioning such things as organized religion and the hierarchy that's involved where it's like the average joe is at the bottom and cardinals and the pope are at the top, right? I mean I might be completely wrong, but I know that it questions the authority of organized religion. How long is it anyways? I don't know if I want to stop what I'm reading now to read something that's a thousand pages long.

Also, dragonlance? I'm not sure if I've ever heard of it. It sounds REALLY familiar, but I can't place my finger on it. I know that it's in the fantasy genre, but that's about it.

Tateos
Tateos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Audiophile
Response to - NG Reading Club - 2009-11-07 03:42:19

I think Reaper Man is the sixteenth in the series.

Good night.
ArmouredGRIFFON
ArmouredGRIFFON
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Reader
Response to - NG Reading Club - 2009-11-07 09:02:19

John Paul Satre. The Imaginary.

Brainfuckingly Fantastic!

Your friendly neighbourhood devils advocate.

BBS Signature
SLiPZ
SLiPZ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to - NG Reading Club - 2009-11-07 11:13:19

I really prefer short stories over novels, so much more punctual and to the point.
My favorites are Edgar Allan Poe and Richard Connell, but I'll pick up anything.

PinballWizard976
PinballWizard976
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to - NG Reading Club - 2009-11-07 11:39:45

At 11/7/09 11:13 AM, SLiPZ wrote: I really prefer short stories over novels, so much more punctual and to the point.
My favorites are Edgar Allan Poe and Richard Connell, but I'll pick up anything.

Have you ever read this? It's one of my favorite short stories. I can't even remember how I found it, but I've always liked the old man's dialogue, the way that it tells about his routine, how he talks to himself, and the fact that when he finds his friend of his dead he just laughs it off and finds it humorous. Like, "Hahaha I knew you would die".

Also, I perfer novels over short stories by a long shot. Novels (especially ones that are in a huge series of like 6 or 7 books) give a feeling of awe after you finish. I read all the harry potter books over the summer, and I still go over things that happened in the books, why they happened, etc. It almost feels like you've accomplished something. :\

ViZi
ViZi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to - NG Reading Club - 2009-11-07 12:51:54

I would love to join this club. I haven't really read big, out-of-the-way novels. Usually about 300-350 pages. I like alot of Adventure and Fantasy books, such as Redwall.

One of my teachers just recently threw out a reading assignment and I have really enjoyed the book so far. It is called Tangerine by Edward Bloor. I'm a little over 200 pages into it and it is a great mystery book. I don't even know how people can do a report on a good book because it is so good I usually can't sum it up quite well enough. When people ask me about a book I know is good I just simply say "read it."

Malachy
Malachy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Melancholy
Response to - NG Reading Club - 2009-11-07 17:29:26

Literature Lovers

¥ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ¥
¥ ¥
Blag [updated: 4/20/2014] ¥ ¥

BBS Signature